Credit card for individual purchases

Hi

We are excited to be sailing in a couple of months to Alaska. This is probably a silly question, and we are not experienced cruisers (this will be our third, and first with Celebrity).

We are treating our son and his girlfriend for our son’s college graduation. While we are planning on treating them for the trip and having 1 credit card attached to our joined reservations, we draw the line at buying them jewelry and all those fun things! Are they able to make individual purchases with their own credit cards, or does it all go on the room charge?

Thank you everyone!

Posted (edited)

Unless you separate the reservations and he lists his credit card, you will get the bill for all their purchases.

Credit cards with almost no exceptions cannot be used on board. 

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

All charges go on the room charge.  you can probably go to Guest Services once onboard and have them change your son's room to a different credit card for onboard purchases.

• Like 1

I have never done it however, I believe you can assign a different credit card to each cabin key, however, unless you prepay gratuities I believe they will post to that cabin key/credit card.

We took our adult children on a cruise and although our cabins were under the same reservation, we were able to assign individual credit cards to room keys at Guest Services.  My daughter had a CC assigned to her sea pass card and her friend, who was staying in her cabin, had a card linked to her room key as well.  The gratuities were prepaid so that wasn't a concern for us.  The trick is to check your folio regularly for errors as we came across a couple that were corrected pretty easily but waiting in line at GS was a tad inconvenient...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, thumpersmom said:

We are treating our son and his girlfriend for our son’s college graduation. While we are planning on treating them for the trip and having 1 credit card attached to our joined reservations, we draw the line at buying them jewelry and all those fun things!

you mean to tell us that your son's college aged GF is not mature enough not to buy jewelry on the ship at someone else's expense?

Have your son use his own credit card for all their purchases on the folio/onboard account (assign it either at check-in if on different reservations or at GS).

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

20 hours ago, thumpersmom said:

Hi

We are excited to be sailing in a couple of months to Alaska. This is probably a silly question, and we are not experienced cruisers (this will be our third, and first with Celebrity).

We are treating our son and his girlfriend for our son’s college graduation. While we are planning on treating them for the trip and having 1 credit card attached to our joined reservations, we draw the line at buying them jewelry and all those fun things! Are they able to make individual purchases with their own credit cards, or does it all go on the room charge?

Thank you everyone!

Only the SeaPass can be used on the ship....BUT.... at anytime before or during the cruise they can enter their CC number in the App.    At the end of the cruise the CC on file is what is charged for the balance on the credit card -  daily tips, on-board purchases excursions.  

You initially put in a CC for on ship purchases at checkin and it can be changed at anytime either using the app or by going to customer service.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

It isn’t well known, but you can use a credit card the shops.  I have done so several times.

That's a new one on me...I was under the impression that *only* your sea pass card could be used, as @Jim_Iain states.

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

you mean to tell us that your son's college aged GF is not mature enough not to buy jewelry on the ship at someone else's expense?

Have your son use his own credit card for all their purchases on the folio/onboard account (assign it either at check-in if on different reservations or at GS).

She is very mature and would pay for things like this; I just didn't want to have to go through the credit card bills and deal with transferring money later. Jewelry was an extreme example...but maybe souvenirs for family, etc. I want to be able to treat them to 'daily activities' and other things like that on the ship if they want to do it, just not actual gifts and purchases like that. They are both very mature and fairly frugally minded 🙂

It seems that a good thing for us to do is maybe put one of their sea pass cards on our credit card and the other on one of their credit cards if they decide to purchase things.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

That's a new one on me...I was under the impression that *only* your sea pass card could be used, as @Jim_Iain states.

I've used a credit card in a shop in the past. Apex, if memory serves.

• Like 1

If the beverage package, gratuities, and WIFI, are all included in the booking fare, then they (your son and GF), shouldn't have much in terms of extra on-board expenses.  If this is the case, I would suggest to your sone and his GF, that she should be prepared to register her own credit card at check-in, or be prepared to use her debit card or cash to settle up at the end of the cruise.

You can just cover yourself, your spouse and son with your credit card, and request that the GF be responsible for her extra on-board expenses.  As a check-in agent, I have seen passengers who are treating other family members and their 'plus 1+' to just cover the family members.

You are correct that, as the card holder, you are financially responsible for any purchases made on your credit card: spa treatments, jewelry, art gallery, gift shop, etc.  I wouldn't feel bad about asking her to be responsible for any 'extra' purchases.

• Like 1