Jim_Iain - B2B Sydney - Honolulu - Vancouver

Jim_Iain

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, not so great for us when we travel to the US.

Btw, Tipping here in Australia is appreciated but certainly not mandatory. 10-15% is nice but again not a formulated amount that has to be paid.

I agree.. I know that Tipping is not the norm but Google to the rescue suggested 10% in a Premium Restaurant with GOOD service.    I noticed now that hey have a 10%, 15% an 20% option on all payment machines --- even that little Cappuccino Shop.

BTW -  do you tip the porters when you drop your luggage at Oversea Cruise Terminal.   We are so used to tipping everyone hard to break the habit.     They would have to take U.S. Dollars as we don't have any A$  and never needed any. 

• Like 1

Yes, higher end places often suggest a tip now, but again it is not mandatory. We tend to just round up if paying by cash ( I.e $180 becomes $200) or if paying by card, we leave a note or two in cash as the tip.

You don't need to tip the porters. In fact, as mentioned, in Australia you do not need to tip anyone but you can.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Now we have to go way back in time to 1988 about 7 years before they first released Microsoft Windows and Netscape Browser.

Computers were relatively new an they had something (non-graphichal) called BBS.   Bulletin Board System.   Think of them like an electronic Bulletin Board at the supermarket. 

We met on a BBS and chatted about 6 months before we finally decided to meet and have a cup of coffee.   We planned on just being friends but things blossomed.  I was VERY anti relationship.   My first Lover had died of AIDS and my second committed suicide.  

I let him know I wasn't up for a relationship for at Least 6 months of dating.    He moved to Santa Clara, CA from San Francisco and signed a 6 month lease. 

We didn't last the 6 months due to an act of God.    The October 17, 1989 Loma Prierta Earthquake hit.   Iain just got on the train when it hit.  In those days there was no cell phones and communications was nil.    I had his car as mine was in the shop and I ended up waiting at the Train Station until 3 AM -   By that time I was hearing radio reports about the highway collapsing  and walls falling near the rail station killing people.  I was panicked until I finally saw the train - slowed to 15-20 miles an hour checking the rails, bridges and tunnels.  

The rest is history.   We count October 17, 1989 as our Anniversary - hard to forget the date.

I had just returned from a trip to San Francisco the day before the quake.  I had a client who had driven across the Bay Bridge just before it collapsed.  The good thing was it collapsed that dreadful freeway downtown which was not rebuilt.

• Like 1

Last night we went to Ventuno at Walsh Bay arts district.  

The Barramundi was the best I’ve ever had. 

IMG_3419.thumb.jpeg.4be1bc3db94a0128ed1d1e0073e10fe5.jpeg

IMG_3417.thumb.jpeg.f35dba9574bdeff98eab06c4e88cd30b.jpeg

IMG_3412.thumb.jpeg.e4731237422390bc353fc881698f1838.jpeg

IMG_3410.thumb.jpeg.57f02dbae4876836ac53e9edf656190a.jpeg

IMG_3416.thumb.jpeg.611c0a8d2f314e2f17e22d4d07b71539.jpeg

IMG_3415.thumb.jpeg.2ed8944f389aadaa0a7b4097355adcf4.jpeg

Mmmm, that grilled barramundi over roasted fennels, mussels with black olive salsa look divine.  I have to copy that idea.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I had just returned from a trip to San Francisco the day before the quake.  I had a client who had driven across the Bay Bridge just before it collapsed.  The good thing was it collapsed that dreadful freeway downtown which was not rebuilt.

It did indeed change the waterfront. 

We didn't last the 6 months due to an act of God.    The October 17, 1989 Loma Prierta Earthquake hit.   Iain just got on the train when it hit.  In those days there was no cell phones and communications was nil.    I had his car as mine was in the shop and I ended up waiting at the Train Station until 3 AM -   By that time I was hearing radio reports about the highway collapsing  and walls falling near the rail station killing people.  I was panicked until I finally saw the train - slowed to 15-20 miles an hour checking the rails, bridges and tunnels.  

The rest is history.   We count October 17, 1989 as our Anniversary - hard to forget the date.

I will never forget October 17, 1989 either. I was working on the 22nd Floor of the Embarcadero Center when the earthquake hit and had no way of getting back to the East Bay as BART was completely shut down. Lucky for me, a colleague took me under her wing and took me on the ferry with her to Vallejo. It was so eerie to be crossing the Bay and seeing the Financial District in total darkness and the Marina on fire. I was finally able to reach my husband to come get me much later that night and we filled our mini van with complete strangers needing a ride home.

I love hearing about your love story with Iain – its one for the ages.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, DUTRAVEL said:

I will never forget October 17, 1989 either. I was working on the 22nd Floor of the Embarcadero Center when the earthquake hit and had no way of getting back to the East Bay as BART was completely shut down. Lucky for me, a colleague took me under her wing and took me on the ferry with her to Vallejo. It was so eerie to be crossing the Bay and seeing the Financial District in total darkness and the Marina on fire. I was finally able to reach my husband to come get me much later that night and we filled our mini van with complete strangers needing a ride home.

I love hearing about your love story with Iain – its one for the ages.

It is amazing how people pulled together and helped each other.   Iain was amazed that the complete train crew remained at their posts instead of running home and checking on their homes and family.  

We didn't have phone or electricity for about 3 days.  

• Like 3

Sorry to read about your sad story but so glad you & Ian found each other. It must have been karma! Enjoy your cruise. I know you said AU prices were cheaper than the US,& you went to an expensive dinner but what would a normal regular dinner at a moderate restaurant cost?

33 minutes ago, alfiemom said:

Jim

After that cartoon, I think you really need a vacation.  Cruise might be nice.  

With all the debate on dress code I got a chuckle at the cartoon.   I think I need a  cruise.

• Haha 1

On Friday -  when we arrived,  I bumped into @81Zoomie who was doing a B2B on Edge.   Don't we look like 2 drowned rats...

image.jpeg.973f6eaa9b034fb8c95c31bfbf80847a.jpeg

I've been reading her Live post and love her photography.   Check out her Live post.  You won't be disappointed.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Late to the party, but happy to tag along on your latest adventure! Now to go back and catch up. I’m having back surgery soon, so I’ll travel vicariously with you and Iain. 

Vanessa

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Late to the party, but happy to tag along on your latest adventure! Now to go back and catch up. I’m having back surgery soon, so I’ll travel vicariously with you and Iain. 

Vanessa

Hope your surgery goes well.   I pulled a muscle lifting my backpack and I can only imagine the pain you must have.   Luckily it was on a 1-2 day for me but initially thought I was going to have to use a wheelchair when we arrived.  

We will be thanking of you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Vanessa

Sincere best wishes for a speedy recovery! For one reason and another I have done a lot of vicarious cruising myself this year!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Vanessa

Vanessa...Feel better soon! Back issues are rough..and all too common. Hope all goes well.

Jim...The shapes, vibrant  colors, geometrics and perspectives of the last series of photos are amazing!  Like an art exhibition..just for us!

Bon Voyage!

• Like 4

Hello from Toronto 🇨🇦   We are thoroughly enjoying your report, love all the pictures & details you have provided. We are arriving on Friday to board Edge for the TP.  Do we need to change funds into AUD, or like any large city, are USD or CAD widely accepted? What is your opinion?  We will use our VISA for dinners, but just curious for shopping at The Rocks and coffee shops etc...

Thank you, and enjoy your travels across the Pacific!  Your itinerary looks amazing!

Debbie & Ron

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, debfed65 said:

Hello from Toronto 🇨🇦   We are thoroughly enjoying your report, love all the pictures & details you have provided. We are arriving on Friday to board Edge for the TP.  Do we need to change funds into AUD, or like any large city, are USD or CAD widely accepted? What is your opinion?  We will use our VISA for dinners, but just curious for shopping at The Rocks and coffee shops etc...

Thank you, and enjoy your travels across the Pacific!  Your itinerary looks amazing!

Debbie & Ron

You better pick up some Australian dollars as they won’t accept US or Canadian dollars. 

Enjoy your cruise…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2024 at 10:51 AM, Jim_Iain said:

image.png.16093ce6e395a7654500367f417137a0.png

Audio Books

As many of you know I"m addicted to listening to Audio Books while on my 3-4 hour walk.  A follower clued me into all the resources available at Local Libraries.    Most library's have a membership with Libby and have a huge collection of all genre.   Just sign up on line via your library and you have access to the incredible virtual library.    Just check it out and download to phone and it automatically returns the book after a couple weeks.    Audible also has an incredible library (for a fee).   I also take audio books on CD out of the library and transcode to my phone.

For you Readers or Listeners --- Here's my current reading list of what's loaded on my phoone

Michael Connelly -   Harry Bosh Series

Jeffery Deaver  - Lincoln Rhyme Series

Lin Anderson -  Rhona MacLeod Scottish Mystery Series

Joe R Landsdale -  Hap & Leonard Series --- Most politically incorrect mystery series.

John Sandford -  Prey Series (34 Novels)

Virgil Flowers

Karen Slaughter - Grant County Series

Will Trent Series a spin off of Grant County and now a TV show.

' I'm really into Mystery and Forensic novels.....ok   I'm addicted.   New recommendations always enjoyed.

I’m so glad to have a Jim & Iain treasure to follow while I recover from my February fall while on Silhouette (rushing to helipad & biffed it big time). I’m having a reverse shoulder replacement next week. Had to delay my surgery as hubs just had detached retina surgery (on same day he was supposed to have gallbladder surgery!  His gallbladder is now this week). Getting older is not for the faint of heart!!

thank you for the great list of audiobooks…we’ll both be using this list while we recover. Safe journey & can’t wait for more great posts!  Melody

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1