Jim_Iain - B2B Sydney - Honolulu - Vancouver

Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Of course the Raspberry Pistachio Vancherin had been replaced with the Chocolate Pill on the Daniel Boulud menu.     Last night I noticed it was on day 3 menu.   I asked Mori (our waiter) if it was a mistake.  He said no-   they were going to alternate and it was indeed available ---  2 points for the Solstice.

I am thrilled to hear the Pistachio Vacheron is back

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Captain just came on.  Medical emergency and we are diverting to Noumea, New Caledonia for an evacuation.    

Looks like they will be cancelling Mystery Island, Vanuatu.   

Trying other alternatives but won’t know until tomorrow morning.  

IMG_3668.thumb.jpeg.ecc3bcffb2f7115e273292d420614e82.jpeg

That is too bad

Hopefully the person will be OK 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

This is what you do on a day at sea when bored. 

I closed my eyes and didn't look up.

That will get you a complimentary interior if you keep playing! Make sure you check your points and cash them out! Great win!

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 3:17 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I did a quick video of our dinner at Murano an posted it on my Group page.  

IMG_3562.thumb.jpeg.cdf3275d9c1054e134894f46f92c4c7f.jpeg

IMG_3559.thumb.jpeg.6152e05c83efc23f24b606bb989de604.jpeg

Murano is our favorite ❤️ 

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Michael's Club - vs - Retreat Lounge

I agree with you 100%.  Guess that makes me a GRUMPY OLD GIT as well.  So be it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Today was day 4 and I thought I would reflect on the cruise - especially with our recent disappointment with the Edge Class ships.

Michael's Club - vs - Retreat Lounge

While the Suites lounge hasn't been updated and still the old dark clubby paneling - we are enjoying it much better than Retreat.  

The Concierges are engaging, attentive and very responsive to any request.   Even though they don't have a hot/cold table they have everything you wish with table side service.   It is our go to place for a light continental breakfast.    We went to the CC Breakfast one morning and it was mobbed -- we had to grab a table when someone got up and it was cleared of the dirty dishes quickly.   I think this cruise has a large CC member count -- they had 2 Captains Toasts --- Elite + and above and all others the next day.

They have a actual bar on Solstice which we love.   Originally there were 4 chairs and Lucy pulled up 2 more --- then last night she had 8 high top seats for the group that we have been drinking with.     Really fun -   as opposed to to the Airport Lounge feel of Edge. 

Sorry --- these are of course only my opinions and we each have different tastes and preferences.    I think Edge convinced us we will never sail E-Class again.     If E-Class is Celebrity's future we are Celebrity's Past... ok... ok.... I'm an GRUMPY OLD GIT!   Stay tuned.

Luminae -

So far would give it a 10+ on Solstice vs a 7 on Edge.   Food always perfectly cooked to order.   The Maitre'd an Assistant are ever present and checking in.    The Sommelier greets us when we arrive and is watching glasses constantly.    Edge shall we say was like pulling teeth or asking the assistant waiter to find him.     Iain was please that they had his  Louis Jardot - Macon-Village 2020 on the Premium Package.... He is happy.   I have my Fre Red - January 2024 so am also pleased.

When we first boarded we saw they had implemented the "New" Luminae Menu -  Of course the Raspberry Pistachio Vancherin had been replaced with the Chocolate Pill on the Daniel Boulud menu.     Last night I noticed it was on day 3 menu.   I asked Mori (our waiter) if it was a mistake.  He said no-   they were going to alternate and it was indeed available ---  2 points for the Solstice.

Next up Murano -

Excellent as usual.   It was quiet with light music in the background -  unlike ALL OF THE SPECIALTIES  on Edge Class with no walls and blaring noise an music.  I would give our experience a 10+ vs.   all the specialties on Edge Class -  7-

More later --- Iain just left for a smoke and I meet him in Michael's Club in 15 minutes.

Jim, all the S-class ships (except RF) have only 70 suites total.  Apex has 184 suites and Beyond, a whopping 204!  The numbers alone disenchanted me with E-class.  No way to receive personal service among hordes.  BTW, I also prefer Michael's Club to the Retreat.  Excellent news about the vacherin!  That and the zenith discount just might win me back to X. 😉  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisinsusin said:

My favorite too but not available on Ascent this cruise- we asked!

It wasn't on constellation when I was on - so don't know if it's new change or if ship specific

20 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

So those preserves you bought in PEI are imported from Britain? Or am I reading the label wrong? 🤔 

You are reading the label correctly.  During the pandemic, the shop in PEI was unable to get them and I tried to find them in Great Britain, but no luck.  So I now order them 6 jars at a time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

When we first boarded we saw they had implemented the "New" Luminae Menu -  Of course the Raspberry Pistachio Vancherin had been replaced with the Chocolate Pill on the Daniel Boulud menu.     Last night I noticed it was on day 3 menu.   I asked Mori (our waiter) if it was a mistake.  He said no-   they were going to alternate and it was indeed available ---  2 points for the Solstice.

Good job, Celebrity--that's my favorite dessert.  Wasn't available last fall on the Solstice.  The chocolate pill is so so.

6 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I agree with you 100%.  Guess that makes me a GRUMPY OLD GIT as well.  So be it.

Me too.  Grumpy Old Git #3.  Actually, I've yet to set foot on an E class ship.  First one this December because I got a fabulous bargain, but I'm not at all excited about that pretend veranda.  And, yes, in my experience, the service in Michael's Club is far superior to The Retreat.

• Like 4

Saturday - 7:30 AM

I'm up and sipping on my first cupa Java.   Well we are at sea --- that's all I know for sure -- Cruise Mapper says we are sailing at 22 Knots and heading to Lautoka,Fiji -  I suspect we will have an overnight.  

I guess Captain Theo will let us know once he makes an announcement -  He came on 3 times last night between 9 and 10PM and said he would update us once shore side makes arrangements.

image.png.473052f116da7ff787209b668aa89e64.png

image.thumb.png.849cb93ed3d11da3574be51b1b8a9d08.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hcat said:

Best in Show!  You should have this one  done in oils!

(When was it taken? did you add any special filters?)

On current  topic: We have a booking on APEX but are moving back to S Class after that,  if possible. Trying Silhouette then maybe Eclipse. .

.Hoping  the ambiance will be a bit  more subdued than the "go go go" life on E Class....and with  less intrusion of sports and games into daytime areas!   Less loud and shouty..  We like to read and  do puzzles, and enjoy  afternoon tea/ coffee.

This was taken somewhere when we were heading to Mystery Island in the South Pacific.  No specific filter but I did drop the fstop to give it a darker look.

As to the noise level.   You are correct it is much more relaxed and gentle music instead of loud music blaring everywhere.   From the moment we boarded there was just a sense of Zen and relaxation.   I would have to say biggest thing I notice is the staff is relaxed and engaging.  

I had previous commented on how e-Class Retreat feels like a Major Airport Lounge.  Totally different world on Solstice.  Every morning when we arrive for our Continental, Ken jumps up and meets us and takes our order for breakfast.  Usually we are the only ones in there at 9AM. 

Lucy from Kenya is another exceptional Bartender.   The warmest person you have ever met and always chats away but never intrusive.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

I am thrilled to hear the Pistachio Vacheron is back

It's really not back.   I think it is gone on all the other ships but they are currently alternating it on different nights of the cruise.   Maybe they are using up all of their supplies.    Regardless -  I'm a happy camper.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

That is too bad

Hopefully the person will be OK 

While everyone aboard is disappointed we are hoping for the best.   I was  bit surprised an Airlift wasn't an option.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Norwaylady said:

Love the picture! 

enjoy mystery island 🏝️ 

We really enjoyed it and Vanuatu 🇻🇺 

The snorkelling was great🙌🏻 

Have lovely day💙 

Lots of love from the LH lounge in LHR🛫

I guess Mystery Island will remain an Mystery.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It's really not back.   I think it is gone on all the other ships but they are currently alternating it on different nights of the cruise.   Maybe they are using up all of their supplies.    Regardless -  I'm a happy camper.

Don't eat it all.  I get on in Honolulu.😅

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

This was taken somewhere when we were heading to Mystery Island in the South Pacific.  No specific filter but I did drop the fstop to give it a darker look.

As to the noise level.   You are correct it is much more relaxed and gentle music instead of loud music blaring everywhere.   From the moment we boarded there was just a sense of Zen and relaxation.   I would have to say biggest thing I notice is the staff is relaxed and engaging.  

I had previous commented on how e-Class Retreat feels like a Major Airport Lounge.  Totally different world on Solstice.  Every morning when we arrive for our Continental, Ken jumps up and meets us and takes our order for breakfast.  Usually we are the only ones in there at 9AM. 

Lucy from Kenya is another exceptional Bartender.   The warmest person you have ever met and always chats away but never intrusive.

Sounds like you are having a good cruise, despite cancelled ports.. Mellow is good!

"F stop"  not on my cell phone apparently!

10 hours ago, hcat said:

Agree..Equinox was one of our fav ships.  We have enjoyed EDGE ( 2x),  BEYOND and especially ASCENT..but after APEX. we not booking E for awhile..no interest in XL..

link to Cruise Critic review of EQ..says it offers laid back luxury..adult vibe:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/cruise/celebrity/celebrity-equinox

I think the M and S Class will become our go to class ships on Celebrity unless they have an exceptional itinerary on an E Class. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, FeebeeH said:

Like you & Iain both my husband & myself didn't really like E-class after sailing on the Edge in an Aqua class IV cabin, we found we much preferred an actual verandah.  We are looking at other cruise lines, and am comparing them to Celebrity (but it'd be the Solstice or Constellation class ships if we do go with Celebrity).

I will have to say Millennium still holds a warm spot in our hearts.   She was the first ship we sailed in the year 2000.    She is our first love and there will always be a warm spot in our heart for her -  regardless of age. 

• Like 11

9 hours ago, kris816 said:

Have you always sailed in suites or have you also spent time in gen pop (i.e. interiors, ocean views, verandas)?

Our very first cruise in 2000 was in a Veranda what was called a 1A   -   They later turned them into Aqua Class Rooms-   Marketing ploy as they weren't selling well.  

Next cruise was in a Sky Suite.    Since then we have sailed in CS, RS and PS.    Our original plan was that once we hit Zenith we would sail in Aqua  and enjoy all the free perks.   That happened once and then they eliminated Zenith Access to Retreat.  

Yikes -- General Population.... is that like the exercise yard in prison when not confined to solitary.  LOL      We sailed in Suites long before they had a Suites Dining Room and a Suites Lounge.    At that time for the extra price all you got was a bigger room and a Butler.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, cruisinsusin said:

My favorite too but not available on Ascent this cruise- we asked!

sorry to hear.   On Edge they got special permission for Chef B to make one for me - took them 3 days and they only did it once.

Edited by Jim_Iain