Jim_Iain - B2B Sydney - Honolulu - Vancouver

Jim_Iain

7 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Jim you and Iain have lived such a fascinating life. I hope our paths cross sometime so I can just listen to you.

Thank you again for being such a valuable asset here at Cruise Critic

Definitely Mike.      I feel like your a long lost brother after all of these years.    Our trip today may be fascinating after I recover but Ugh.... I'm exhausted.    Iain wanted to go to Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Park.     Until I was half way there I didn't realize it was in Kona where we will be in 2 days.   We ended up doing a big loop around the big Island.  

It was fun but exhausting 6 hours of exploring.   I think 4 of it driving with stops along the way

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, MamaFej said:

We'll actually finally get there later this year. 

We'll cruise across from San Juan, Puerto Rico, then up the Amazon River to Manaus, Brazil. Then we will fly to Panama City and board another ship. We'll sail through the Panama Canal, and back across to Florida. We only have a few Caribbean ports, but I think that will be enough. 

-----

One of the things we are doing in Africa is five days at the Marriott Masai Mara, which includes up to two safaris a day. We are using a LOT of points, but I figure this is a fantastic use for them. I'd rather run out of money and points than run out of time, and time is ticking loudly! 

Africa sounds wonderful.   Going to have to start researching.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sonnycruises said:

I highly recommend Orchids at the Halekalani for lunch. If you're there for the evening see the show at the "House Without a Key". Their Haupia Cake is to die for.

When I first met my first boyfriend we would have lunch there everyday.  It's really funny -  I remember a whole in the wall place right across the street on the corner that had a fantastice out door patio for brunch.    It truly was one of my favorites for just a Papaya, Juice Eggs  and Coffee.    Now I'm really showing my age but I think it was $5.99.   LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back in time to get ready for dinner.  

Sneak peek.  Arrived right on schedule in Hilo

IMG_4688.thumb.jpeg.16bb2a4f8cb5bf08f1065fdab149df38.jpeg

Lucy bringing us our morning ritual. She is so good.   She picks up on your every need. 

IMG_4689.thumb.jpeg.968ad0785bebc38ff95ad3b5a0f39599.jpeg

IMG_4690.thumb.jpeg.694ec92307b6f79a8d5c33e36ca89e6a.jpeg

• Like 12

Wow you two had quite the day. That’s a lot of driving.  The Place of Refuge really is a beautiful and inspirational place to visit.  We love it there.  We have made it a point to return every year or so when we are on the Big Island. There is a particular tree there by the water that we have been photographing for the last 20+years. It was a baby tree when we started now it’s getting harder to find. Definitely easier to visit from the Kona side. 
A great restaurant to stop at near Capt Cook which is quite close to Pu’uhonua o Honaunau  is the Coffee Shack.  We love to have lunch there.  But definitely sit outside on the patio.  The view over the coffee fields is gorgeous looking down to the ocean. 
Have fun exploring.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We visited Kenya some years ago (with safari) and I can remember it like yesterday. The sounds and smells are as strong in my memory as the sights…A continent so colourful it is almost blinding…Seeing a herd of elephants making their way to the watering hole being one of the most fascinating…we were lunching at the safari lodge after a very early start and in the distance we saw a movement of dust. The dust came nearer and nearer until the cloud became individuals, large to very small. Tear jerking now to even think of it as is the genuine greeting of ‘Jambo’ from the locals… 

My only comment to you is don’t leave it too long. Out of all our vacations worldwide including several long tours this was the most physically hard. Very early starts and a challenging climate.

I can imagine the photographer in you going wild…

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We did safaris with "andbeyond".  They have lots of locations in Africa.  Just a heads up--Early, early morning, small bite to eat, then off in the Rovers BEFORE sunrise.  After several hours, back for a normal breakfast.   Multiple activities mid-day, then off again at dusk for several hours, then dinner.  Those times are when the animals are more active.  It was wonderful!  Maybe you shouldn't tell Iain that part.  🤐

• Like 1

African safaris are amazing, they truly are a once in a lifetime experience, but the problem is they leave you wanting to come back over and over again. What a problem!! There are several cruises that go up the east coast that has excursions to safari camps, several with overnights. Azamara does a round trip from Capetown and Oceana has one in Jan 26 that sounds very interesting. The best way to see Africa is on the ground though, so if cruising, be sure to include a pre or post experience on land. You have to sleep in a tented camp and hear the animal sounds at night at least once in a lifetime. Nothing like a Lion roaring in the distance to help put you to sleep, or waking up in the morning and finding elephant footprints outside your front door!!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Mango 🤔

I would have take my wife to medical 😁

No mango for her 

This made me chuckle. In our daycare, mango is the favorite fruit and I have labeled myself the mango man in honor of a Jimmy Buffet song. So when I offer more, the kids respond "yes please mango Man."

• Like 8

I am enjoying the conversation!

HIlo for us was an amazing port.

Sal loved the steam vents,  visit to VNP (volcano natl park) and all the scientific equip....  He is a Nat'l  Geographic geek and this was an amazing place!

I enjoyed it too but best of all for me was getting a huge floral arrangement with bird of  paradise and other exotics at the port as we departed....Low price,  we were allowed to carry it on..lasted long! Memorable day!

IMG_4688.thumb.jpeg.16bb2a4f8cb5bf08f1065fdab149df38.jpeg

Edited by hcat
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Definitely Mike.      I feel like your a long lost brother after all of these years.    Our trip today may be fascinating after I recover but Ugh.... I'm exhausted.    Iain wanted to go to Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Park.     Until I was half way there I didn't realize it was in Kona where we will be in 2 days.   We ended up doing a big loop around the big Island.  

It was fun but exhausting 6 hours of exploring.   I think 4 of it driving with stops along the way

Wow! That's a lot of driving but a good way to spend the day. Where are you renting your car from in Kailua-Kona?

-Kelley

20 hours ago, sonnycruises said:

I highly recommend Orchids at the Halekalani for lunch. If you're there for the evening see the show at the "House Without a Key". Their Haupia Cake is to die for.

I'm currently in Waikiki right now. For a totally different type of lunch the famous Marugame Udon is well deserving of its reputation. On the same block is Donut King Waikiki with the most amazing donuts you will ever have!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/k4C41JjhCwJdxCvx5

https://maps.app.goo.gl/6rVyqKtvnQ5CfaHr7

IMG_20240428_131812~2.jpg

PXL_20240428_230343321.MP~2.jpg

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I'm currently in Waikiki right now. For a totally different type of lunch the famous Marugame Udon is well deserving of its reputation. On the same block is Donut King Waikiki with the most amazing donuts you will ever have!

IMG_20240428_131812~2.jpg

PXL_20240428_230343321.MP~2.jpg

Mahalo for the lead! I will try it on my next visit. On Maui, when Star Noodle reopens in Lahaina, you will love their fabulous food, too!

-Kelley

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mauimary said:

Wow you two had quite the day. That’s a lot of driving.  The Place of Refuge really is a beautiful and inspirational place to visit.  We love it there.  We have made it a point to return every year or so when we are on the Big Island. There is a particular tree there by the water that we have been photographing for the last 20+years. It was a baby tree when we started now it’s getting harder to find. Definitely easier to visit from the Kona side. 
A great restaurant to stop at near Capt Cook which is quite close to Pu’uhonua o Honaunau  is the Coffee Shack.  We love to have lunch there.  But definitely sit outside on the patio.  The view over the coffee fields is gorgeous looking down to the ocean. 
Have fun exploring.  

Right after lunch we saw the Coffee Shack.    Looks like fantastic views.   Wish we had waited.   Who knows.... maybe tomorrow...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chemmo said:

We visited Kenya some years ago (with safari) and I can remember it like yesterday. The sounds and smells are as strong in my memory as the sights…A continent so colourful it is almost blinding…Seeing a herd of elephants making their way to the watering hole being one of the most fascinating…we were lunching at the safari lodge after a very early start and in the distance we saw a movement of dust. The dust came nearer and nearer until the cloud became individuals, large to very small. Tear jerking now to even think of it as is the genuine greeting of ‘Jambo’ from the locals… 

My only comment to you is don’t leave it too long. Out of all our vacations worldwide including several long tours this was the most physically hard. Very early starts and a challenging climate.

I can imagine the photographer in you going wild…

You should write books.... love how you bring all of your senses to bear in your description.... all you need was some Elephant essence on your tongue...   

I will keep endurance in mind   I'm noticing as I get older it is a bit more difficult.   Them old joints just don't move the way they use to.    I'm sure that's why Doctor keeps encouraging me to keep moving.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mike981 said:

This made me chuckle. In our daycare, mango is the favorite fruit and I have labeled myself the mango man in honor of a Jimmy Buffet song. So when I offer more, the kids respond "yes please mango Man."

Just envisioning -  Mike Mango Man --

MangoMan.jpg.eb2fa847677af527f3d20425388a8752.jpg

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, hcat said:

I am enjoying the conversation!

HIlo for us was an amazing port.

Sal loved the steam vents,  visit to VNP (volcano natl park) and all the scientific equip....  He is a Nat'l  Geographic geek and this was an amazing place!

I enjoyed it too but best of all for me was getting a huge floral arrangement with bird of  paradise and other exotics at the port as we departed....Low price,  we were allowed to carry it on..lasted long! Memorable day!

Those tropical flowers are always so beautiful.    Maybe I'll pick some up in Kona.   

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Maui4us said:

Wow! That's a lot of driving but a good way to spend the day. Where are you renting your car from in Kailua-Kona?

-Kelley

I got my car from Enterprise at the Airport.    Possibly they are the cheapest thus this line to pick it up.   It took me about an hour waiting to get a car.

Uber costed about $12 and is about 10 minutes away.  Check both Uber and Lyft prices.    Uber was cheaper for me going but more expensive coming back.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Will have to give it a try next time we are there...

Looks like a HUGE meal. 

22 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I got my car from Enterprise at the Airport.    Possibly they are the cheapest thus this line to pick it up.   It took me about an hour waiting to get a car.

Uber costed about $12 and is about 10 minutes away.  Check both Uber and Lyft prices.    Uber was cheaper for me going but more expensive coming back.

Mahalo 🌺 It's too bad Enterprise won't deliver. 

-Kelley 

28 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Jim, I see that Enterprise has a non-airport location in Kailua-Kona about a mile from the pier. I am going to try that for our next 2 cruises. The wait at the KOA airport must have been irritating. HNL does the same thing unless you go with Avis. They are 5 🌟

-Kelley 

Time to catch up--- Here's the LONG route Iain planned (inadvertently) for yesterday.    I have to say I got some mileage out of it and today --- I was King.   He said he would do whatever I wanted and I drug him ragged in just 1/2 a day.

image.thumb.png.8410c5060a565c354b5b792cff156383.png

• Like 12

I ran to the airport and got the car.  Then off we went.   One thing we noticed was the diversity of the island. 

The first half of the drive took us west climbing to about 3,000 ft.   First through the Hilo Watershed Forest Reserve.  

We then went through an absolute desert where they have a military training grounds.  Probably desert training. 

IMG_E4699.thumb.jpeg.43d8b9fb081b86757ac2e94de18f592e.jpeg

IMG_E4701.thumb.jpeg.50235b5efe4edd8ee63ebe7fe300b66d.jpeg

IMG_E4702.thumb.jpeg.08177fd047331395f78e3b80a41a8784.jpeg

IMG_E4703.thumb.jpeg.b021a9b8996981d5d5aa9c5337d94e79.jpeg

IMG_E4707.thumb.jpeg.013d26823de8764542317bd41c6ca4fb.jpeg

IMG_E4714.thumb.jpeg.a19bce9ccb4aa1eb81c8a3093840207d.jpeg

• Like 19

Posted (edited)

For about 1 1/2. Hour no gas station, coffee shops or stores.  Finally we found a McDonald.  What the heck.  Sticker Shock  $25 for a small meal. 

IMG_E4709.thumb.jpeg.d96e5e23f11a4c1eee589b8126d049cd.jpeg

IMG_E4710.thumb.jpeg.00fe003311eb9b598c930ae986a1a24d.jpeg

IMG_E4711.thumb.jpeg.cbd083bf6f57a69be5cbbb8e2a235130.jpeg

IMG_E4712.thumb.jpeg.dac658df2fa9aa8e6210f5b6a44d8110.jpeg

IMG_E4717.thumb.jpeg.4db51133a9a61360600b90cd1e74a670.jpeg

IMG_E4719.thumb.jpeg.b9d02fde00ca0cca7ef4b37d3182fb15.jpeg

IMG_E4721.thumb.jpeg.dd9604c8b2398a2b9c2b1464d0a1674b.jpeg

IMG_E4722.thumb.jpeg.c89275e210589b9119e03678262f081d.jpeg

This is the Coffee Shack @Mauimar spoke of.    Views are incredible

IMG_E4725.thumb.jpeg.f04fa916d0a0ec1d92107c65c655a879.jpeg

IMG_E4728.thumb.jpeg.ad7bd8d984ba3ccb507f7525be06f915.jpeg

IMG_E4730.thumb.jpeg.8d0d55c0cee134f31672868c69c0fb2e.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 18

Posted (edited)

Kaliko-Honokohahau at last.   A very magical place taking you back in time.  Gentle winds were blowing fragrant scents of flowere, the gentle crashing of waves and the sounds of wild birds enhanced the natural serenity. 

IMG_E4731.thumb.jpeg.fae184bc98b56be916d2d3728ccb9462.jpeg

IMG_E4734.thumb.jpeg.bbd6eaf23e4b1614a3197740ce51a96b.jpeg

IMG_E4735.thumb.jpeg.2a1f5b33b745d2ebeffc8a97c4bec0bd.jpeg

IMG_E4736.jpeg

IMG_E4737.jpeg

IMG_E4738.jpeg

IMG_E4741.jpeg

IMG_E4740.jpeg

IMG_E4742.jpeg

IMG_E4744.jpeg

IMG_E4746.jpeg

IMG_E4747.jpeg