Jim_Iain - B2B Sydney - Honolulu - Vancouver

Jim_Iain

Posted (edited)

No trip to Hawaii is complete without a Waterfall. 

Akaka Falls about 10 minutes away was next.  I wanted to avoid where everyone else goes.  Definitely not for those with mobility issues.  My Fitbit recorded 36 flights of steps. 

IMG_4843.thumb.jpeg.b999338f9e438babc90cc8a76fa6c608.jpeg

IMG_4849.thumb.jpeg.2e07585d3a519d47bb19a906310518a0.jpeg

IMG_4851.thumb.jpeg.e2c4d4ba65c430887e549442628c31ad.jpeg

IMG_4862.thumb.jpeg.a82b2874c7553b143886831b7c6ef7ba.jpeg

IMG_4863.thumb.jpeg.feefe322a9cefc01f90cf3f803c0415a.jpeg

IMG_4867.thumb.jpeg.84b85790b8925142f93486ee5e38a32c.jpeg

IMG_4850.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Iain sums up the day. lol.  Actually he enjoyed but was getting fed of me saying.  Give me an Iain pose.   Luckily it was his index fingers. 

IMG_4836.thumb.jpeg.adfd0260404318a1dfe9ae06ee65ee01.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 14

17 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I'm currently in Waikiki right now. For a totally different type of lunch the famous Marugame Udon is well deserving of its reputation. On the same block is Donut King Waikiki with the most amazing donuts you will ever have!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/k4C41JjhCwJdxCvx5

https://maps.app.goo.gl/6rVyqKtvnQ5CfaHr7

IMG_20240428_131812~2.jpg

PXL_20240428_230343321.MP~2.jpg

We have one about 4 miles away.  Hawaii menus versus California/Texas menus are similar with one or two differences. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Jim_Iain Big mahalo for the pics from Onekahakaha (pronounced Oh-nay-kah-hah'-kah-hah') Beach! I remember going there as young as about 3 years old because my brother, who is 2 years younger, was still an infant. It was a perfect way to fall in love with the ocean as a young child should. I will definitely go there again on our next cruise!

-Kelley

• Like 3

All this talk of Hawaiian coffee has me strongly considering ordering a bag of Kona Peaberry from my favorite Hawaiian coffee brewer  — Bad Ass Coffee.   They use to have a store front in Manassas, VA but was closed the last time I looked.  It’s been a few years. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think it is back on our list for tuesday.    Today I am finally going to get to snorkel ..... I hope.   I had to stop at Walmart to buy some Petroleum Jelly.    With a mustache the only way to avoid water leak is to make a seal of Petroleum Jelly  .... Ugh... sounds disgusting.

Hmmm, handle bar mustache?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

All this talk of Hawaiian coffee has me strongly considering ordering a bag of Kona Peaberry from my favorite Hawaiian coffee brewer  — Bad Ass Coffee.   They use to have a store front in Manassas, VA but was closed the last time I looked.  It’s been a few years. 

we brought or shipped  home coffee,  nuts and beautiful smooth skin creams.  So many great products from Hawaii...no junk!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I can see if Costco has it otherwise my outlet is Lahaina. LMK

-Kelley

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maui4us said:

I can see if Costco has it otherwise my outlet is Lahaina. LMK

-Kelley

Thank you buy do not go through any trouble. I have never seen it at Costco but I know I can buy it online as I ordered some as a present for a friend of ours.  I actually discovered this while vacationing for a long weekend on Maui while I was stationed on Oahu. 

I have a friend that one of his hobbies is roasting beans.  He buys green beans from all over and then roast them at home.  I have two 1/2 lb bags of his latest batches at home that I need to work my way through before I think of buying any new coffee beans. 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks Kevin..... I have to tell you that we LOVED CHARLOTTETOWN.    I have a feeling that the New England Cruise may again be on the agenda.   Maybe not on Celebrity but would love to do on a small ship where you can get into ports that you can't on the larger ships.

Oceania Insignia Oct 16-27, 2025, great leaf peeping. "Canadian Connoisseur" Montreal to Boston.  Most ports are in Canada.

22 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

One thing we have noted on this cruise -- maybe just this ship.    The ice cream in Luminae is not up to it's usual standard.  I'm not talking exotics I'm talking Vanilla Ice Cream.   Our waiter said it was a different Vanilla they were using.    Iain said it has an icy texture and not creamy at all.  

That is really disappointing as it is our go to desert at Luminae.   I had vanilla at both the Gellato and regular Ice Cream Place and it is pretty much the same...    Come on Celebrity... what does it take to have a decent vanilla ice cream.  

Many have also pointed out that the new menus are Chocolate on the overload and topped of with the terrible Chef B's Chocolate Turd.    Another failure.    Maybe we should box up some and send to Kelly. 

Just off the Reflection and had the same comment about the vanilla ice cream!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks Kevin..... I have to tell you that we LOVED CHARLOTTETOWN.    I have a feeling that the New England Cruise may again be on the agenda.   Maybe not on Celebrity but would love to do on a small ship where you can get into ports that you can't on the larger ships.

I always dreamed of playing the role of touristic guide...so if you come again in Canada/New England, and if the timing is right, I would be happy to help you see a bit more around the Montreal area! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I think I mentioned today we rented a car again.   This time we used Enterprise and they were very impressive.    When we got off tender we went to the Big Banyon Tree and called them.  They were quickly down to pick us up.   Extremely efficient and we were on our way within minutes. 

IMG_4884.thumb.jpeg.2bd14becbd0e49bb208594e7a868bea9.jpeg

IMG_4888.thumb.jpeg.4e262ac3fcf1bf6fb83076c17fa40193.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I had plans to try out snorkeling today and found a good location.   Two Step Beach -

An incredible turquoise bay along the Big Island’s western side, Honaunau Bay (or Two Step Beach / Pae’a) is among the best places in all of Hawaii to enjoy world-class snorkeling among impressive coral reefs and lava rock pathways. Two Step is also a renowned scuba diving location for beginners and experts. There is a sandy area on the north side of the bay where the local dive shops teach new divers and you often see groups of divers setting out on adventures into the deeper waters of the bay from the two-step entry.

As we got closer we said ... hmmm.. this looks familiar.    It ended up right at the entrance to the Kaloko-Honokōhau National Historical Park.     How I could have missed it two days earlier is beyond me.

IMG_4891.thumb.jpeg.739dce1e44dbddb609e31c0f184169ac.jpeg

IMG_4890.thumb.jpeg.48ffb8aab7e47ccbe36e09915fd79c81.jpeg

IMG_4892.thumb.jpeg.1fe998a1a9ad79daf381d116987f72a6.jpeg

IMG_4893.thumb.jpeg.b6513e5dc07b0c1f687ea486a9aa548b.jpeg

IMG_4894.thumb.jpeg.83fa86415b9844ba9e5d54fd4da0210f.jpeg

IMG_4896.thumb.jpeg.1c24774826e9b4d911e572949e0e23c4.jpeg

IMG_4897.thumb.jpeg.e4749dfb0a2ad356df74b824f3d78beb.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 20

Posted (edited)

Knowing where we were and close by The Coffee Hut.   Off we went for a late lunch. 

All of the recommendations paled in contrast to the beauty, food and service we experienced. 

IMG_4906.thumb.jpeg.2463c1dd871a14f411dcdd75cab7a67a.jpeg

IMG_4914.thumb.jpeg.5fe8bc158310fbdcc712c44c35d7244a.jpeg

IMG_4908.thumb.jpeg.495eaf3c80f7e49870dedb5803b563a7.jpeg

IMG_4915.thumb.jpeg.ed1dfbe61d4eb9123bfa1629c8f00450.jpeg

We had the Special - but decided to split it.   No Problem -  they actually brought it out on two plates filled with chips and separate bowls of Au Jus.

I love an Extra Dry Cappuccino and they delivered.   It was the most delirious Kona Coffee and the foam was so thick I had to use a spoon to finish it off.  Perfection.

IMG_4913.thumb.jpeg.51a6b6fbc7af0856198e1182d0f82668.jpeg

IMG_4904.thumb.jpeg.ec2693982853b6bd6fed00850639a13f.jpeg

Anyone for fresh avocado. 

IMG_4907.thumb.jpeg.8101c3bc13edbc9cf227f112ea6b4661.jpeg

The sandwich was HUGE and we were happy we only had 1/2.   It left room for the best Coconut Cream Pie I've ever had. 

We even made a friend with a Kama’aina

IMG_4909.thumb.jpeg.2c99e9a73849ec14a1f9895239e9ca14.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 27

3 hours ago, cluso said:

Oceania Insignia Oct 16-27, 2025, great leaf peeping. "Canadian Connoisseur" Montreal to Boston.  Most ports are in Canada.

We had looked at it but conflicts with our Oct-November   Cunard NY-Southampton, Oceania Vista Istanbul - Barcelona and Celebrity Lisbon to Buenos Aires.  

I'm having to keep a spreadsheet to keep track of my cruises.   Was much easier with just Celebrity as they were all in one place..... but....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Just off the Reflection and had the same comment about the vanilla ice cream!

I shake my head in regret.   Why do they cut costs for such a standard product that is enjoyed by so many.

• Like 4

Jim…I’m so glad you and Iain made it to the Coffee Shack.  It’s one of those don’t miss kind of experiences.  I’m going to have to get one of those dry cappuccino when we are there in Sept. It looks divine.  

I’ve thorough enjoyed reading about your travels on the BI. It’s one of our favorite places. 

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I shake my head in regret.   Why do they cut costs for such a standard product that is enjoyed by so many.

Are they no longer making it onboard?  Cheaper ingredients?

A couple of notes from yesterday and today.

Jim, we may have seen you driving up to the falls yesterday as we were driving out after our visit.  Both days we were very lucky, as we had friends as guides.

Today, a former coworker of mine picked us up and took us to the Refuge National Park and a couple of scenic spots.  We saw baby goats.  We tried to go to Coffee Shack, but there was a long wait, so we went to a place called Foster's in town and had a very good lunch.  My friend is also driving us to the airport to pick up our rental car for the day tomorrow.  We're driving to Waimea tomorrow to meet the people who ship us coffee every other month. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I really, really wish they would change the name of that entree. 

Yeah.  Tomorrow night they have the Sirloin, also pieces of a roast.  Last cruise Glen ordered it and it was done right, previous two, outside was well done inside was raw.  Both of those the Maitre'd brought the chefs out.  Tonight, we had the kids menu grilled cheese, and crudites.  (I had the tomato soup as well).

• Like 2