Questioning the adage, "You get what you pay for" when it comes to MSC

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

In the "You can't make this stuff up" category:

I have a cousin from Kansas that spent two weeks touring various regions of Italy. Her main complaint was that she could find any good Italian food, especially pizza, that matched what she eats in Kansas (Lol - DeFazio's and Pizza Hut are her standards for excellence).

*SIGH*   I  have no words.

My husband has pizza at an outdoor cafe in Trieste.  He did as the locals and ate it with a knife and fork.  It was phenomenal.  It made all the pizza I had had before whither away and die by comparison.  Also, as you know, the food there is so fresh, unlike the salt, sugar, and preservative-laden stuff we sell here.

My family immigrated from the Azores in about 1915.  I grew up on my grandmothers' cooking.  They both came to the United States as children and ended up in a city in Massachusetts with a large Portuguese population.

When we went to the Azores in 2016, I got to taste what all those dishes are really supposed to taste like.  lol  

Edited by Momto3girlsintheCarolinas

On 4/11/2024 at 4:57 PM, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

It seems unfair that people should be able to get reasonable service at a fair price. 

I have been on 11 MSC cruises and have never had a bad experience. It is true that on the first couple of MSC cruises nearly a decade ago that the people working the Reception Desk were kind of indifferent. And I don't think our room steward introduced himself either. But that has changed as MSC realized that to grow as fast as they are, they have to compete with the other brands. I was on MSC in Europe in December and they were just as friendly as all the other lines. So I think they have evolved.

As for the food, I'm a meat and potatoes person so easy to please. I don't like that sometimes the carvery is in one place and the potatoes a mile away at the buffet, but the food itself is fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2024 at 5:21 PM, Mark_T said:

Go read one or two of the excellent 'Live' threads from @JamieLogical then set your expectations accordingly.

You don't have to pay for Yacht Club to get a good cruise on MSC.

This.

@JamieLogical does an outstanding job. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2024 at 4:57 PM, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

This post will stir up trouble, but I am curious about what people think.

My partner and I will take our first MSC cruise in about a month.  We've sailed other lines, but not MSC.  I want to keep an open mind and remember that being unhappy on a cruise should be tough.

I understand that MSC is cheap and that one should keep their expectations realistic, given the low-cost fare.  Rarely can one enjoy Kobe beef at a cheeseburger price.  However, it occurs to me that there should be some minimum standard that guests can expect.  Otherwise, it seems like gaslighting guests and justifying poor food and service.  

I think it is important to have reasonable expectations for the price one pays, but when I read reviews that talk about inedible food and rude crew, that seems to go beyond the pale.  

If MSC sells cruises even with awful food and service, what motivates them to improve?  There is none, I guess.  It seems unfair that people should be able to get reasonable service at a fair price.  Like, even the cheeseburger should be edible. 

What if a family can't afford other lines?  Shouldn't they get a quality experience, too?  Or should they not cruise at all or put up with this standard of food and service?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so please play nice.  I am interested in what others think.

We loved our recent MSC cruise and I think it’s an excellent value for the money.

Here’s my review from our February cruise:

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

"Questioning the adage, "You get what you pay for" when it comes to MSC."

4 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

We loved our recent MSC cruise and I think it’s an excellent value for the money.

We feel the same way. One gets more than what one has paid for on a MSC cruise. MSC presently has some of the most enticingly low fares in the cruising industry. Lower than what it costs many US cities to house and feed their homeless populations. 

We recently discovered that even their high end Yacht Club provides more in the way of quality of food, entertainment, and higher quality of service than the industry darling Regent Seven Seas. We were dumbfounded. One third the cost the higher the category. I listed with photos and videos in other thread a point by point comparison.(Royal Suite or Owners Suite to a Grand Suite). We were idiots for booking Regent in a Grand Suite for $30,000. Connected with an old butler from MSC on Regent only to find his services provided on Regent are seriously lacking compared with MSC Yacht Club.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"We were idiots for booking Regent in a Grand Suite for $30,000."

I've watched video of Grand Suites on Grandeur in the aftermath of your cruise. I must say, I saw multiple aspects of the suite's amenities and furnishings that made me think, "Well, that's of no use to Mssr. and Mme. Morpheus." However, it was not lost on me that much of what that suite offered would be much appreciated by another type of cruiser.

Before your disappointing cruise, what were the deciding factors for selecting the Grand Suite rather that a less profligate suite (Seven Seas or Penthouse)?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, no1talks said:

Before your disappointing cruise, what were the deciding factors for selecting the Grand Suite rather that a less profligate suite (Seven Seas or Penthouse)?

A spoiled DW.  She has been spoiled by MSC butlers and now must have a butler with her suite.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"...must have a butler with her suite."

But, the two suite categories I mentioned include butler service.

I only brought it up because the dissatisfaction you spoke of would have cost less than the $30k you mentioned. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, no1talks said:

But, the two suite categories I mentioned include butler service.

Did the others have a separate bedroom, walk in shower and a balcony big enough for at least one cushioned reclining lounge chair too ? The Grand Suite was the only redeeming feature of the cruise, until they wanted to varnish the railings and then the Captain wouldn't let us have the lounges cushioned and instead kept them strapped up for 24 hours due to what he said 'might' be 30 knot wind on our balcony. Would rather have blamed the winds had I not been able to tolerate them.

I have cruised a lot on different cruise lines. Did MSC once; my second one is coming up on Thursday. I had no problems with my first MSC cruise. None. I do think I'll enjoy my second MSC cruise, plus it's about 50% cheaper compared to Royal (I'm traveling with a family of 5).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Momto3girlsintheCarolinas I hope you are feeling better overall about sailing MSC. There are certainly mixed reviews, but I think it's best to keep an open mind and judge for yourself. The worst cruise I ever sailed on was on Princess, and that's supposed to be a higher-quality line. The food, service, entertainment and ship's maintenance were truly TERRIBLE. But even there, I have decided to give Princess another try in a few weeks, because I know that those things can vary from ship-to-ship and sailing-to-sailing even on the same line. Now, if I have a second bad cruise (I mean "bad" in comparison to other cruises... it's still a cruise!) on Princess in May, then I may write the line off completely, but we will see. I have a third Princess cruise booked for August and final payment for that one is due the day after I come back from my May sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2024 at 12:59 AM, Two Wheels Only said:

Yacht Club and Aurea guests get more but that doesn't mean that Bella and Fantastica guests are mistreated 

Many Bella and Fantastica guests feel mistreated when the Yacht Club guests cut the line, especially at security when boarding during the cruise!

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

Many Bella and Fantastica guests feel mistreated when the Yacht Club guests cut the line, especially at security when boarding during the cruise!

That's not mistreatment of Bella and Fantastica guests. It's elevated treatment of Aurea and Yacht Club guests. 

If someone is walking through the desert and I hand them a cold 16.9oz bottle of Dasani water, that person shouldn't feel mistreated if I hand a Yacht Club guest a cold 1L bottle of Acqua Panna water.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

That's not mistreatment of Bella and Fantastica guests. It's elevated treatment of Aurea and Yacht Club guests. 

If someone is walking through the desert and I hand them a cold 16.9oz bottle of Dasani water, that person shouldn't feel mistreated if I hand a Yacht Club guest a cold 1L bottle of Acqua Panna water.  

I agree with you but many Bella and Fantastica guests still think that it is mistreatment.

I don't care what they say because I have paid extra to be able to cut lines!

• Like 3

As you can see from my signature, we are about to go on our third MSC cruise in 13 months. I had LOW expectations for our first sailing April 29, 2023 (Meraviglia's second sailing after repositioning to NYC). I figured for the cost, I had nothing to lose. I had heard all of the horrible things, such as terrible food and long long waits for drinks. I experienced none of that. Is it the best cruise ship food? No. But I'm not cooking and it was still very tasty. I didn't experience any rude crew members. On our second sailing, our dining room attendants weren't the best. Again, not the end of the world. 

The Meraviglia is by far the most beautiful ship we've sailed on. Go. Have fun. Enjoy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2024 at 7:59 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

Knowing that MSC doesn't really try to do "typical Southern comfort food" that many cruisers want will explain some of the complaints. I read one complaint from someone who wasn't familiar with gelato and wanted ice cream. Because it was "different", the reviewer wasn't happy.

Staff might not be the "bubbly woo-hoo" type but I've never encountered rudeness. Some reviewers think that not getting their way equals rude staff members.

Plenty of people in Bella interior staterooms have great MSC cruises. Sure, Yacht Club and Aurea guests get more but that doesn't mean that Bella and Fantastica guests are mistreated or have sub-standard experiences (no pun intended).

I agree that the staff isn't the over the top/best your best friend/always around greeting you by name type friendly that you see on other lines and people consider that rude.  I don't.  I actually prefer it. 
I haven't had overtly rude service. 

I often say you get what you pay for on MSC.  The cruises I have done with drink packages are still a better deal than I get on another line with "free room" ($100 pp and $100 on board credit per person).  

By that I mean, I can always find something to eat.  The last two I didn't love the buffet and found it repetitive but still managed to eat.  The food in the dining room has been fine to very good. 
The drinks again are fine.  I truly enjoy the Alchemy Bar on Carnival and prefer their cocktails to MSC.  But again, there is alway something to drink. 

I have had a lot of trouble with customer service over a couple issues and they are a HUGE PITA to deal with.  But again, cheap rate so I book knowing I risk having a PITA.  

I don't find they have a ton of options for Caribbean cruises.  But again, the price is good. 

I also hate the beds on MSC.  Again, something I put up with because of the cost although after my last cruise it may not be worth it anymore for me. 

My room is always clean, I can always find something to eat or drink and I can get service.  

Posted (edited)
On 4/11/2024 at 9:57 PM, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

This post will stir up trouble, but I am curious about what people think.

My partner and I will take our first MSC cruise in about a month.  We've sailed other lines, but not MSC.  I want to keep an open mind and remember that being unhappy on a cruise should be tough.

I understand that MSC is cheap and that one should keep their expectations realistic, given the low-cost fare.  Rarely can one enjoy Kobe beef at a cheeseburger price.  However, it occurs to me that there should be some minimum standard that guests can expect.  Otherwise, it seems like gaslighting guests and justifying poor food and service.  

I think it is important to have reasonable expectations for the price one pays, but when I read reviews that talk about inedible food and rude crew, that seems to go beyond the pale.  

If MSC sells cruises even with awful food and service, what motivates them to improve?  There is none, I guess.  It seems unfair that people should be able to get reasonable service at a fair price.  Like, even the cheeseburger should be edible. 

What if a family can't afford other lines?  Shouldn't they get a quality experience, too?  Or should they not cruise at all or put up with this standard of food and service?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so please play nice.  I am interested in what others think.

I have only done one MSC cruise, 2 weeks on Seascape, staff were excellent across the board, may have encountered one or two that weren't the most friendly but never rude.

Food was more than acceptable, found the buffet to be a typical buffet, I had read reviews stating dinner was no different to lunch but the one time we did have dinner in the buffet there was definitely more choice.

MDR was really good, smallish portions but never left hungry and you can always get multiple starters or desserts if you wish. We had maybe one or two meals that weren't fantastic but never had a bad meal

Specialty(Butchers Cut, Teppanyaki and Hola) were all really good, no complaints at all.

The food and service is certainly not awful but then maybe we have lower expectations than others

Only done Royal before x 4 and MSC were half the price, Royal MDR food was maybe a bit better form memory (last two were 2019 and 2012) but I have also heard that the food has gone downhill on Royal so maybe they are now on par.

Edited by mcoler181
  • Like 2

While I've had some maddening shore-side customer service experiences, in terms of the onboard experience, MSC generally offers good value for the money.  I'd take them in a heartbeat over Carnival.  Likely over RCCL and NCL too.

• Like 2