6 month passport rule on Royal Caribbean? Help!

46 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I did.  Maybe read the entire post?

OK.  Please quote or screenshot the Royal web page that says you MUST have 6 months left on your passport on all open loop cruises.  Thats all I'm asking for.  No one has been able to provide it.

Someone quoted it as a state department thing. Not Royal. On another thread about this persons issue. They also posted under cruise questions. 

2 minutes ago, DennysDad said:

Someone quoted it as a state department thing. Not Royal. On another thread about this persons issue. They also posted under cruise questions. 

That link isn't rules or laws.  If you go to the page in the link, it also includes:

* Always carry your passport book with you

* Always get trip insurance (covering medical and evacuation emergencies).

Care to try again?

53 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I did.  Maybe read the entire post?

OK.  Please quote or screenshot the Royal web page that says you MUST have 6 months left on your passport on all open loop cruises.  Thats all I'm asking for.  No one has been able to provide it.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/do-i-need-a-passport-to-cruise

Q

Do I need a passport to cruise?

A

Everyone will need to present an accepted form of identification to board the ship. We strongly recommend that all guests present a passport as their form of ID on boarding day, and for some guests a passport is required.

The passport must be valid for six months after the day your cruise ends. The name on your passport should match the name on your reservation. What if my name doesn’t match?

While some other forms of ID may be accepted for your cruise, a passport is the very best option and here’s why:

• A passport is the hassle-free, gold standard for traveling between countries.
  • Boarding and disembarking through customs with a passport is usually faster than other types of ID documents.
  • If you have an issue while exploring a foreign port (such as missing the ship), it’s best to have a passport with you.

Guests who do not bring required documents may be denied boarding.

Again, the rules are not US rules, but other countries rules.  The you can come and go up to the expiration date.  RCI enforces the rules of the countries they visit.  

Do they enforce this, totally?  No, not in my experience.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

EDL will not cover all situations where a passport is required.

Didn't say that it did.  What it did do is eliminate the worry if the 6 month rule was going to be enforced.  When we boarded, we had a sub 6 month PP, so I got an EDL as cheap insurance.  And I can use it to go to Canada w/o a passport, too.

It was just a thing we did to make sure we can board the ship.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 10:57 PM, puckliny said:

I totally agree with all the folks saying it should not be an issue, I see that Bahamas, St Martin, St Lucia, Barbados all do not require the 60 day especially for cruisers.  BUUUUT the official stance of RC is that I need the 60 days because it's open loop Ft Lauderdale to San Juan.  So it's silly since it's still a US to US port. 

So I'm hoping someone here has had recent experience on RC with this situation and could speak to it.  Last thing I'd want is to meet some stickler at the dock that decides the 60 day thing is an actual issue.  It would not be an issue with any customs officer but the ship maintains policy.  All I get from the Chat and call center is a direct read from their play book.  Anyone go though this recently?

Where did 60 days come from?

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

That link isn't rules or laws.  If you go to the page in the link, it also includes:

* Always carry your passport book with you

* Always get trip insurance (covering medical and evacuation emergencies).

Care to try again?

Am I on trial? Relax. Just telling you what I read. 

5 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Then why is there an expiration date on the Passport Card if it's not valid.  This is the most stupid rule yet.  If that date is not valid put the valid date on it.  DUH!  Can't someone tell us why?  Makes no "valid" sense! LOL  Seems to me anyone would HAVE to honor the date on your card/book, otherwise why is there a date at all.

Expiration is set by issuing country for renewal.

Entry requirements are set by the country you are visiting 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@S.A.M.J.R.

OK.  Please quote or screenshot the Royal web page that says you MUST have 6 months left on your passport on all open loop cruises.  Thats all I'm asking for.  No one has been able to provide it

From experience I can confirm that a recent open-loop cruise to Columbia definitely needed a passport with greater than 6 month validity and was closely checked at the port.

Here is an article from Nov 2023 which would suggest this may be similar. 

https://travel.usnews.com/features/do-you-need-a-passport-to-go-on-a-cruise

“When you need a passport for closed-loop cruises

Some If your itinerary includes a country requiring a U.S. passport, your cruise line will require you to have the passport at check-in. Note that your passport must not expire within six months of your arrival in a foreign country or else it won't be considered valid for international travel.cruise itineraries include foreign ports that require a passport for disembarkation. This is most commonly an issue for travelers on a closed-loop Caribbean cruise. BarbadosGuadeloupe, Haiti, MartiniqueSt. Barts, and Trinidad and Tobago all require U.S. citizens to present a valid passport to disembark and enter the country, despite WHTI regulations not requiring a passport for these destinations. Labadee, Royal Caribbean's private island, is an exception and does not require a passport despite its location in Haiti. 

If your itinerary includes a country requiring a U.S. passport, your cruise line will require you to have the passport at check-in. Note that your passport must not expire within six months of your arrival in a foreign country or else it won't be considered valid for international travel.”

Edited by c-leg5

It's not uncommon for a common carrier, i.e. an airline or cruise line, to set policy that exceeds government immigration regulations or laws.  

It's challenging for an airline for example, to train tens of thousands low paid front line counter employees on all the nuances of passport and/or visa requirements for all of the possible scenarios.  The person checking you in is not an immigration expert.  It's a lot easier to create policy that covers the airline for nearly all scenarios even if that policy goes further than required by law or government regulations for a particular travelers actual requirements.   

Knowing the law and exactly what applies to your individual actual requirements may not be enough if you happen upon a check in person who is new or recently got their tail kicked when they allowed someone to sail who should not have.  Some of the terminal workers, who are all contractors employed by a 3rd party, not RCI, will be sticklers for policy and some may let some stuff slide.  It all depends.  

If policy is a 6 month rule, then the terminal contractor is justified to apply that rule even if it exceeds US immigration regulations for your circumstances.  A previous cruiser may have slid through and been fine.  That doesn't mean the next one will. 

At the end of the day we are all responsible to have proper documentation to board the ship.  I hope you sail without issue, just be prepared for encountering a check in person who tries to enforce policy.

• Like 4

On 4/12/2024 at 10:37 PM, puckliny said:

Hi folks, going on Rhapsody next Saturday, during check in I just saw my kids' passports expire within 6 months, has any gone on the Ft Lauderdale ending in San Juan cruise with this issue?  They "strongly recommend" but is it really necessary?  I'll only have 5 days to get passports for my kids if I have to comply with this 6 month rule.  None of the islands require this from cruisers, but it is technically an open loop cruise.

Are their passports expiring in 1 week or closer to the 6 month date?  Bring birth certificates with raised seal just in case.  I think you should be fine.  If not, based on experience with a sister traveling to England and never checked her passport date, you can renew in person at a regional office if travel is less than 10 days.  

Just remember to renew when you return!

4 hours ago, twangster said:

It's challenging for an airline for example, to train tens of thousands low paid front line counter employees on all the nuances of passport and/or visa requirements for all of the possible scenarios.  The person checking you in is not an immigration expert.  It's a lot easier to create policy that covers the airline for nearly all scenarios even if that policy goes further than required by law or government regulations for a particular travelers actual requirements.   

They don't.  The requirements are in the computer.  If the person is going to X destination, it tells them if they need a visa and to check for it or for 6 month validity.

14 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Are their passports expiring in 1 week or closer to the 6 month date?  Bring birth certificates with raised seal just in case.  I think you should be fine.  If not, based on experience with a sister traveling to England and never checked her passport date, you can renew in person at a regional office if travel is less than 10 days.  

Raised seal has nothing to do with a BC being official or not

16 hours ago, jean87510 said:

What use would a birth certificate be on an open-loop cruise?

The OP already acknowledges that passports are required.

On 4/15/2024 at 5:02 AM, twangster said:

At the end of the day we are all responsible to have proper documentation to board the ship.  I hope you sail without issue, just be prepared for encountering a check in person who tries to enforce policy.

From their other thread OP has taken responsibility and made an appointment to be safe and to get passports the same day as they don't want to encounter a problem at check in. Hopefully will happen.

I sail next week. My Canadian passport expires 6 months from the last day of our cruise.  I also have a Nexus card that expires in several years so I'm just hoping for the best. 

Puckliny, When you return from your cruise, can you please post on what you decided to do, either get a new immediate passport or take the chance with the current passport expiring in less than 6 months.  This will help all of us who may come across this situation. Enjoy your cruise.

9 minutes ago, pattycake08 said:

Puckliny, When you return from your cruise, can you please post on what you decided to do, either get a new immediate passport or take the chance with the current passport expiring in less than 6 months.  This will help all of us who may come across this situation. Enjoy your cruise.

No need to wait. Since it’s my 2 kids that would be left on the dock (joking) there was no chance I wanted to take a huge risk like that.  So I made an appt with a State Passport Agency had to drive 3 hours this AM and pick up Thursday, another 3 hour drive.  But now we have no worries.  I just can’t take the risk some stickler dock person decides to enforce this rule which doesn’t apply.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, puckliny said:

No need to wait. Since it’s my 2 kids that would be left on the dock (joking) there was no chance I wanted to take a huge risk like that.  So I made an appt with a State Passport Agency had to drive 3 hours this AM and pick up Thursday, another 3 hour drive.  But now we have no worries.  I just can’t take the risk some stickler dock person decides to enforce this rule which doesn’t apply.  

Mark your calendar ...

October 1, 2033 (or 2028, if 5 year passport) - RENEW KIDS PASSPORTS.  🙂

4 hours ago, puckliny said:

Good.  This was one of my suggestions.  Glad you did this.  Better safe then sorry.