6 month passport rule on Royal Caribbean? Help!

Hi folks, going on Rhapsody next Saturday, during check in I just saw my kids' passports expire within 6 months, has any gone on the Ft Lauderdale ending in San Juan cruise with this issue?  They "strongly recommend" but is it really necessary?  I'll only have 5 days to get passports for my kids if I have to comply with this 6 month rule.  None of the islands require this from cruisers, but it is technically an open loop cruise.

@puckliny Curious about this myself so checked online:

According the the US State Department website: (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html)

• Apply early for your passport, or make sure your current one will be valid at least six months beyond your travel dates and has two or more blank pages. Your cruise company may also require you to have a passport even if U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) or foreign port of entry does not. 

Looked at the Royal Caribbean website as well it follows the State Department rules. 

I know it's not the news you want, but hope it's helpful. 

Warmest Amy

I agree with as well.  If you can cruise the Caribbean with just a birth certificate and driver's licence, you can cruise with a valid passport, even if it doesn't meet the 6-month rule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't worry about it. Bring their certified birth certificates as a backup. But it shouldn't be any sort of problem. The 6 month thing does not apply to any Caribbean islands. 

I totally agree with all the folks saying it should not be an issue, I see that Bahamas, St Martin, St Lucia, Barbados all do not require the 60 day especially for cruisers.  BUUUUT the official stance of RC is that I need the 60 days because it's open loop Ft Lauderdale to San Juan.  So it's silly since it's still a US to US port. 

So I'm hoping someone here has had recent experience on RC with this situation and could speak to it.  Last thing I'd want is to meet some stickler at the dock that decides the 60 day thing is an actual issue.  It would not be an issue with any customs officer but the ship maintains policy.  All I get from the Chat and call center is a direct read from their play book.  Anyone go though this recently?

Posted (edited)

Good call. You do need a passport for open loop cruises. But they have passports, so I would argue strenuously. It is a cruise line recommendation not a federal rule. But you're right. I don't have any experience with passport timing. And in any case, you don't have time to get a new one now. I hope everything works out for you and your family. 

And since it let you check them in. I don't think it should be an issue. 😊

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

The issue is flying from San Juan back to the US.  So, I went here: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-980?language=en_US

The Department of State issues U.S. passports to traveling U.S. citizens. The passport allows you access to U.S. consular services and assistance while abroad. U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR's) who travel directly from U.S. territories to the United States, which include American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands without touching at a foreign port or place, are not required to present a valid U.S. Passport or U.S. Green Card. 

I read that as a passport isn't even required.  If the passport isn't required, then the six month "recommendation" doesn't matter.  This is assuming they're US citizens of course.  

Not to get too deep in the weeds on this, please understand the length of validity rule is set by each country visited, not RCL.  RCL will suggest the passports have 6 months validity as that is what most countries will require.  That said, it's not like they are checking your passport at each island.

Also, RCL doesn't require passports on closed loop itineraries (depart and return to same port) but do require passports for open loop, like this itinerary will be.  I suggest you call RCL, or better yet email so you have written proof, to confirm what they will require.

11 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

The issue is flying from San Juan back to the US.  So, I went here: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-980?language=en_US

The Department of State issues U.S. passports to traveling U.S. citizens. The passport allows you access to U.S. consular services and assistance while abroad. U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR's) who travel directly from U.S. territories to the United States, which include American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands without touching at a foreign port or place, are not required to present a valid U.S. Passport or U.S. Green Card. 

I read that as a passport isn't even required.  If the passport isn't required, then the six month "recommendation" doesn't matter.  This is assuming they're US citizens of course.  

The issue isn't San Juan and flying home. It's the fact that this is an open loop cruise and they require a valid passport. Valid with 6 months remaining. This will come down to the agents at the port. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DennysDad said:

The issue isn't San Juan and flying home. It's the fact that this is an open loop cruise and they require a valid passport. Valid with 6 months remaining. This will come down to the agents at the port. 

Who is "they", and what's the language?

37 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Who is "they", and what's the language?

What do you mean?

For Americans, you don't need a passport to fly to and from San Juan, since it's part of the United States.  If that's what you mean.

The 6 month *requirement* is a nation by nation thing.  Royal "requires" it for that reason only.  And by require, many times they won't worry about a sub 6 month time frame.  Personally, I don't trust that, but people have pointed out multiple times that they were able to use the PP within it's last 6 months.  And, actually, we just did a couple of sub 6 month cruses.  

At the same time, when doing an open loop/repositioning cruise, some of the document requirements may be different.

OP- if you want to be 100% sure there won't be an issue, get new passports.  For a fee, you can get them immediately by visiting a passport office near you (who require travel soon to get it fast).

23 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

This cruise stops in Bahamas, USVI, St Maarten, St Lucia and Barbados before getting to Puerto Rico.  It is NOT direct travel to either St Thomas or Puerto Rico.  Passport is definitely required. 

Flying directly to either St Thomas or Puerto Rico can be done with a driver's license.  But open loop cruises always require a passport.

Closed loop cruises out of US ports generally allow travel on birth certificates.    There are a few countries that require passports - Martinique and Colombia, for example.  None of the ports the OP is hitting require passports at all for cruise entry, so expiration date shouldn't matter.  Our experience has been the port folks don't even look at expiration date, but the most likely response would be to remind them to renew when they get back.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, alfaeric said:

What do you mean?

As in, what words does Royal use to REQUIRE passports w/6 month before expiration?  A "recommendation" is NOT a "requirement".  If it was, the "dress code in MDR" threads would be a lot shorter.

That's the issue in the OP.  Not that he doesn't have PP, but there's not 6 months left on them.

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

As in, what words does Royal use to REQUIRE passports w/6 month before expiration?  A "recommendation" is NOT a "requirement".  If it was, the "dress code in MDR" threads would be a lot shorter.

This is exactly correct! Passport REQUIREMENTS are set by each country.

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

That's the issue in the OP.  Not that he doesn't have PP, but there's not 6 months left on them.

Suggestion next time, quote the thread you are actually replying to.  Or at least clarify what you are replying.  It wasn't clear what you were answering.

Still, the PP is required for the open loop cruise, the 6 month requirement is a country by country thing.  Royal just applies that to all cruises.  Whether its enforced on embarkation is the risk, as it seems that enforcement isn't 100%.  Many others have sailed on a sub 6 month PP and we just sailed with one.  I didn't trust that, so I got an enhanced driver's license that I can cruise on.

My son’s passport had a little less than 6 months to go when we did a cruise that included the Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, and the Bahamas. I didn’t realize it until it was too late to get it renewed in time. I called the cruise line and the agent I spoke to swore that we’d be denied boarding at the port. 

With not much more to loose at that point in time, we decided to go to the port anyway, mentally prepared to get turned away. Long story short, it wasn’t an issue. Besides the check-in agent gently reminding us that his passport had less than 6 months to go, we didn’t have any problems checking in, getting on the ship, or clearing customs upon our return. 

What we’ve learned since then after further research is that, unless an itinerary or country you’re visiting has specific passport requirements, your passport only needs to be valid at the time of travel. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tapi said:

What we’ve learned since then after further research is that, unless an itinerary or country you’re visiting has specific passport requirements, your passport only needs to be valid at the time of travel. 

That's one way of putting it.  I'd prefer:

Your passport needs to meet the validity requirements for the countries you will be visiting.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Tapi said:

What we’ve learned since then after further research is that, unless an itinerary or country you’re visiting has specific passport requirements, your passport only needs to be valid at the time of RETURN TO THE US. 

FTFY

Edited by SRF

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

My son’s passport had a little less than 6 months to go when we did a cruise that included the Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, and the Bahamas. I didn’t realize it until it was too late to get it renewed in time. I called the cruise line and the agent I spoke to swore that we’d be denied boarding at the port. 

With not much more to loose at that point in time, we decided to go to the port anyway, mentally prepared to get turned away. Long story short, it wasn’t an issue. Besides the check-in agent gently reminding us that his passport had less than 6 months to go, we didn’t have any problems checking in, getting on the ship, or clearing customs upon our return. 

Was your experience an open loop or closed loop trip?

My personal experience with open loop is the passport has to have more than 6 months left. They check documentation differently (closer, more strict) for an open loop. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/13/2024 at 10:58 AM, DennysDad said:

Valid with 6 months remaining

Then why is there an expiration date on the Passport Card if it's not valid.  This is the most stupid rule yet.  If that date is not valid put the valid date on it.  DUH!  Can't someone tell us why?  Makes no "valid" sense! LOL  Seems to me anyone would HAVE to honor the date on your card/book, otherwise why is there a date at all.

Edited by BecciBoo

On 4/13/2024 at 12:44 AM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Cruise ships don't travel directly when doing a repositioning.

4 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Suggestion next time, quote the thread you are actually replying to.  Or at least clarify what you are replying.  It wasn't clear what you were answering.

Still, the PP is required for the open loop cruise, the 6 month requirement is a country by country thing.  Royal just applies that to all cruises.  Whether its enforced on embarkation is the risk, as it seems that enforcement isn't 100%.  Many others have sailed on a sub 6 month PP and we just sailed with one.  I didn't trust that, so I got an enhanced driver's license that I can cruise on.

EDL will not cover all situations where a passport is required.

I did.  Maybe read the entire post?

OK.  Please quote or screenshot the Royal web page that says you MUST have 6 months left on your passport on all open loop cruises.  Thats all I'm asking for.  No one has been able to provide it.