What do you think of Lee Mason and Georgia Craig

Posted (edited)

I am boarding Horizon in a couple of weeks and following it up with Celebration straight afterward, I can see that the CDs are Lee Mason and Georgia Craig.  My previous two cruises were both with Felipe Couto who was great fun, we kept seeing him around the ship always with a smile on his face and involved in entertaining the guests, what do you think of Lee and Georgia, will I be disappointed?

Edited by SpainAlien

Lee Mason is definitely one of my top 2 CDs.  Very engaging with everyone, funny, and seems to be everywhere having fun.  

Haven't sailed with Georgia Craig before, so no opinion on him.

• Like 6

I like them both. They do their jobs well without being annoying. But I have to say, the CD has never really affected my trips that much. 

Georgia is definitely less “over the top” than some CDs. Which I really like. If you want a CD who is always turned up to 11, you may be disappointed. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

I like them both. They do their jobs well without being annoying. But I have to say, the CD has never really affected my trips that much. 

Georgia is definitely less “over the top” than some CDs. Which I really like. If you want a CD who is always turned up to 11, you may be disappointed. 

I find this interesting.   I have been on 9 cruises and I haven't the faintest idea who the Cruise Director was on any of them.   Nor do I remember the names of my cabin attendents or my waiters.   I guess I just let them do their jobs and don't worry about it.   

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Eric from San Diego said:

I find this interesting.   I have been on 9 cruises and I haven't the faintest idea who the Cruise Director was on any of them.   Nor do I remember the names of my cabin attendents or my waiters.   I guess I just let them do their jobs and don't worry about it.   

If you don't go to the shows, games on Lido, etc., then yeah you won't know the CD. That is where they're most visible.

• Thanks 1

We loved Georgia. She was our CD on a 14-day Carnival Miracle Journeys (Hawaii) cruise. She was everywhere, always smiling, always dancing. Boundless energy the entire time - from Day 1 to Day 14.

• Like 3

I love Georgia.  She was our CD on Miracle and we spent quite a bit of time talking to her as my friend lived in the same area that she grew up in, so there was a lot of talking between him and her.  Then last year when we were on Horizon, she recognized my wife and I while we were sitting at Alchemy.  She said hi, asked how we were doing, and just made sure we were doing good on the cruise.  She is more down to earth than most of the CDs.  Although she did get annoying during the Love and Marriage show.  

• Like 1

I just sailed on Horizon in March with Georgia and she was great! CD's don't usually have much of an effect on us either way, but she made a great cruise even more fun.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 12:54 PM, mz-s said:

If you don't go to the shows, games on Lido, etc., then yeah you won't know the CD. That is where they're most visible.

I go to a few shows a day when I'm on a cruise... still no clue who the CD was on any of them.

I'm pretty sure you could swap cruise directors in and out throughout the cruise, and I'd never even notice it was a different over-amped, toxic positivity, talking head up there. They're all the same, and make not one iota of difference to my cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I never understood why people on here are proud of the fact that they don't know any CDs. It makes no difference to me or anyone else on here I'm sure...

58 minutes ago, aborgman said:

I go to a few shows a day when I'm on a cruise... still no clue who the CD was on any of them.

I'm pretty sure you could swap cruise directors in and out throughout the cruise, and I'd never even notice it was a different over-amped, toxic positivity, talking head up there. They're all the same, and make not one iota of difference to my cruise.

Thank you for sharing, I'm sure you can get through it.

10 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I never understood why people on here are proud of the fact that they don't know any CDs. It makes no difference to me or anyone else on here I'm sure...

I'm not proud or ashamed of it - that implies way more brain space or attention than I can muster for the topic.

I'm 100% indifferent - and I'll never understand how people CAN notice and remember a CD.

They could have had 3 CD's or no CD on my last cruise.. I couldn't tell you, because it's more irrelevant to my cruise than the color of the bag in the garbage can in the men's bathroom on the Lido deck.

...but if there are folks who care - good for them, I just can't understand it.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Thank you for sharing, I'm sure you can get through it.

It's easy to get through - it's just another "Billy Mays"-ish hype person of the sort I've been tuning out my whole life.

They don't make my cruise better. They don't make my cruise worse. They're just 100% irrelevant to my cruise experience all together.

Edited by aborgman
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, aborgman said:

I'm not proud or ashamed of it - that implies way more brain space or attention than I can muster for the topic.

I'm 100% indifferent - and I'll never understand how people CAN notice and remember a CD.

They could have had 3 CD's or no CD on my last cruise.. I couldn't tell you, because it's more irrelevant to my cruise than the color of the bag in the garbage can in the men's bathroom on the Lido deck.

...but if there are folks who care - good for them, I just can't understand it.

Some CDs are better than others. Some do go above and beyond. I acknowledge that it is much rarer for that to happen today than it was several years ago. Very few crew on Carnival are able or willing to put that special touch on things anymore. They just go through the motions. And they don't make an impact.

I guess I just feel for folks who haven't felt that special touch on Carnival from the crew or from the experience itself, because it used to be there.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Some CDs are better than others. Some do go above and beyond. I acknowledge that it is much rarer for that to happen today than it was several years ago. Very few crew on Carnival are able or willing to put that special touch on things anymore. They just go through the motions. And they don't make an impact.

I guess I just feel for folks who haven't felt that special touch on Carnival from the crew or from the experience itself, because it used to be there.

I've seen a lot of negative changes... but CD's aren't one of them.

10 years ago... the CD was irrelevant and did nothing (positive or negative) to in any way affect my cruise.

A month ago... the CD was irrelevant and did nothing (positive or negative) to in any way affect my cruise.

They could do away with the position altogether - and I'd never even notice.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, aborgman said:

I've seen a lot of negative changes... but CD's aren't one of them.

10 years ago... the CD was irrelevant and did nothing (positive or negative) to in any way affect my cruise.

A month ago... the CD was irrelevant and did nothing (positive or negative) to in any way affect my cruise.

They could do away with the position altogether - and I'd never even notice.

I am frankly surprised that the modern cut-rate Carnival experience where even bacon is a bridge too far still has a cruise director on every ship. I wonder if perhaps they're required by SOLAS or some international seafarer's union or something.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lee was one of my top 5 in 25+ cruises. 
He was always around working hard to make the cruise better for everyone. He was funny but not obnoxious. He seemed to genuinely like people and like his job. I witnessed him dealing with two VERY awkward situations with complete grace. I would love to sail with him again. 

We had Georgia a couple times on the Miracle (she was on the ship for about a years, sans a break or two).  We loved her - she went above and beyond.  For example, she and other crew put on several shows during what was suppose to be trivia.  Very corny no budget shows using whatever they could find as props but highly entertaining.  

She loved interacting with the guests and was always mobbed.  One of the cruises was over Thanksgiving and she had flown in her family from Australia.  I think it was because it was her 24hrs birthday or something like that.

Surprised she’s on the Celebration alraa was day, those gigs use to go to the senior CDs.  Although I know Carnival has had a hiccup in fining and keeping CDs…

I have never cared one way or the other who the CD is. 

The only one that has ever made a difference (in a negative way) doesen't even work at Carnival anymore. "This is your cousin C-C-C-C-C-Cookie" EVERY FRIGGIN TIME  at the beginning of an announcement was like nails on a chalkboard to me.