Will Viking give on board credit for Stock ownership?

oskidunker

Not sure I would buy Viking stock.

If the company goes the way we expect after the IPO we may not continue to sail with them.

I think if I bought stock, I would want to be a loyal customer.

• Like 3

On 4/23/2024 at 5:40 PM, JeffElizabeth said:

I would buy stock with them. Seem to be very well run company.  

Perhaps well run, but what financial strains lurk beneath the image?

Getting through COVID was not easy.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2024 at 5:33 AM, CDNPolar said:

I think if I bought stock, I would want to be a loyal customer.

Bought stock for the stockholders' benefit. Still own the stock even though we haven't sailed with the company in 15 years. Will sell for a hefty profit. It has nothing to with company loyalty; it is just an investment.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Bought stock for the stockholders' benefit. Still own the stock even though we haven't sailed with the company in 15 years. Will sell for a hefty profit. It has nothing to with company loyalty; it is just an investment.

Completely agree. Don't buy as an expression of loyalty. It's an investment, nothing more, nothing less.

VIK will get wrapped into a lot of index funds already on day one.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 3:16 PM, oskidunker said:

Since they are going public, one can only hope. My guess knowing them, is no.

I would hope that VIK is thinking of stuff they could do for stockholders, but my gut tells me it won't be OBC. The reason being is that for many of us, we're not spending tons of money on-board, because VIK is all-inclusive (we have a different thread if you want to debate "all-inclusive"; though that thread might have been mod-locked and deleted, b/c it became so contentious) My guess with CCL, RCCI, and NCLH is that they're betting that you spend on the monies on alcohol, SD, gift shop, ShoreX, etc.

Maybe VIK could do a discount of $100 or $200 for a charged port excursion? IDK.... I do know that getting a bunch of Viking jackets is going to get old.

• Like 1

Just finished a call with Princess for CCL military benefit. The good news, after a very long wait as the agent waited for a superior to intervene, it was properly credited for my August cruise.

While on the call with Princess, I logged into my brokerage account to see how my order for VIK shares was doing. It was rather dormant for much of the day, with no action. Finally started trading around 12:45pm and I got my shares at 2:21pm.

Offering was prices at $24, it opened at $26.15, and I got my shares somewhere in between. We will have to see what is next for shareholders.

I love Viking! Many more cruises ahead. Just was on Viking Egypt cruise and Jordan extension. Best time of my life on a cruise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, m2inor said:

Just finished a call with Princess for CCL military benefit. The good news, after a very long wait as the agent waited for a superior to intervene, it was properly credited for my August cruise.

While on the call with Princess, I logged into my brokerage account to see how my order for VIK shares was doing. It was rather dormant for much of the day, with no action. Finally started trading around 12:45pm and I got my shares at 2:21pm.

Offering was prices at $24, it opened at $26.15, and I got my shares somewhere in between. We will have to see what is next for shareholders.

I love Viking! Many more cruises ahead. Just was on Viking Egypt cruise and Jordan extension. Best time of my life on a cruise.

Sounds good!  We'll have to wait and see.  I suppose it was better today than dropping below the IPO price.

Also - the Villages must be huge!  Seems we meet someone from there on every single cruise we've been on!  You are all well represented.

• Like 1

As to the question, 

I recognize that at least one of the big cruise lines does this, but as an owner, how would you benefit from providing something extra to another shareholder?  Isn't this an example of poor management?

Think about it, given the occupancy rates why do you need to entice shareholders to book cruises and give away part of the revenue/profit?  You don't need to!

On 4/28/2024 at 9:12 AM, Mike07 said:

I would hope that VIK is thinking of stuff they could do for stockholders, but my gut tells me it won't be OBC. The reason being is that for many of us, we're not spending tons of money on-board, because VIK is all-inclusive (we have a different thread if you want to debate "all-inclusive"; though that thread might have been mod-locked and deleted, b/c it became so contentious) My guess with CCL, RCCI, and NCLH is that they're betting that you spend on the monies on alcohol, SD, gift shop, ShoreX, etc.

Maybe VIK could do a discount of $100 or $200 for a charged port excursion? IDK.... I do know that getting a bunch of Viking jackets is going to get old.

Buy a majority of the shares, and you can vote yourself unlimited use of the OS ...........  just joking .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

As to the question, 

I recognize that at least one of the big cruise lines does this, but as an owner, how would you benefit from providing something extra to another shareholder?  Isn't this an example of poor management?

Think about it, given the occupancy rates why do you need to entice shareholders to book cruises and give away part of the revenue/profit?  You don't need to!

$100pp OBC is minuscule. It would be a nice loyalty perk - really no measurable effect on profit.

9 hours ago, SailorPaulH said:

Buy a majority of the shares, and you can vote yourself unlimited use of the OS ...........  just joking .....

I was thinking that... any of us can now become the majority shareholder of VIK.... though if we had that kind of money, we probably wouldn't be sailing Viking either.

3 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

$100pp OBC is minuscule. It would be a nice loyalty perk - really no measurable effect on profit.

I don't disagree, but Viking has no need to provide a loyalty perk for the majority including me who will return multiple times due to the quality of the product/experience.

The mega lines need loyalty perks to retain customers who find little difference between the mega lines.

I also suspect that the margins on sales on board including Sprits Package, Salons, and Stores might be so extreme as to actually be the profits of the entity.

I cite a recent experience.  We didn't stop at Dunedin, New Zealand as it was Christmas Day.  We were granted on board credit.  Those credits along with our other credits from booking on a prior cruise mostly went to crew tips.  If we had prepaid gratuities we would have found it challenging to spend the on board credit.

The spirts package is a real money maker for them since both passengers in the cabin must purchase.  Given the demographic of Viking clients, few cabins drink that much purchased alcohol on a cruise.  Yes, some do, but not many.

As always, your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

I figure that any stockholder benefit will be outstripped by possible dividends (which will be paid whether I sail or not) and the profit I will make when I sell my shares.