A cruise filled with Broadway shows?

My daughter sent me some TikTok stuff about Broadway shows on RC.  She wants me to investigate it.  CC is a good place to do that.

1) Are there cruises that have MORE than one Broadway show?  Different shows on different nights?  If so, what ships, and how do I find those?

2) I did search "Broadway" in this forum and found out that some ships have Broadway shows, and some do not.  How did I find out which is which, in advance, as a key factor in deciding what cruise to book?

Thank you.

Posted (edited)

This brochure is now a little dated in that it does not include Icon or Utopia, but it does summarize the entertainment available on rest of the fleet fairly well:

Royal Caribbean Entertainment Guide

There are ships that have a Broadway show and an alternate Royal Caribbean produced show but there are no ships that have multiple Broadway shows.

Royal has been shifting away from Broadway shows due in part to licensing costs but also other factors.  Instead they have recently begun putting that money into homegrown production shows.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

No, there are no RCCL ships that currently have more than one Broadway show.  It would not likely be feasible due to cast and set design requirements.  It would be the same as a single NY Broadway theater featuring more than one show per week.

Here is a link to the RCCL website that will identify some of the shows and ships:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/cruise-shows-and-entertainment/broadway-shows

I also believe the Entertainment Guide provided by @twangster is accurate as to the current ship schedule with the shows.  Note that the Broadway shows are currently based on Oasis and Freedom class ships as well as We Will Rock you musical on Anthem.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, deltahog said:

My daughter sent me some TikTok stuff about Broadway shows on RC.  She wants me to investigate it.  CC is a good place to do that.

1) Are there cruises that have MORE than one Broadway show?  Different shows on different nights?  If so, what ships, and how do I find those?

2) I did search "Broadway" in this forum and found out that some ships have Broadway shows, and some do not.  How did I find out which is which, in advance, as a key factor in deciding what cruise to book?

Thank you.

For instance harmony has grease as its broadway show. In addition it has columbus the musical. It's a musical show but not a broadway show. In addition there may be a headliner show with a singer or a group. Not a musical but a singing group no acting. 

1 hour ago, deltahog said:

Many RCCL ships have one Broadway show and up to 2 more Original Shows that are Broadway style and often Broadway caliber. You can usually find which show is on which ship by simply going to the ship's page on their website. I know Hairspray has been on Symphony, Cats on Oasis, Grease on Harmony.  

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, CruisingWalter said:

Many RCCL ships have one Broadway show and up to 2 more Original Shows that are Broadway style and often Broadway caliber. You can usually find which show is on which ship by simply going to the ship's page on their website. I know Hairspray has been on Symphony, Cats on Oasis, Grease on Harmony.  

To suggest "many" is a bit misleading as there are only 7 RCCL ships that I am aware of featuring Broadway shows at present.  That represents only 25% of their current active fleet.  And not arguing, but while they also have production shows that are usually very good on nights when the Broadway shows are off, I'm not sure I would put them at Broadway caliber.  But that is just my subjective opinion, which I fully recognize as such.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

I believe there is a charter filled with broadway artist , lots of music charters we annually do a 70’s music charter on celebrity. It sells our really quick did it last 6 years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Keep in mind Tic Tock may not be a reliable source.  😉 

Neither may be my daughter!

I think the charter that George mentions is probably what she has seen videos of.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, deltahog said:

Neither may be my daughter!

I think the charter that George mentions is probably what she has seen videos of.

Or...giving your DD a bit of grace...and not really being familiar with the specific video she saw on TikTok, maybe it was a compilation of all of the different show options across RC ships?  Albeit not all on the same ship.

Edited by SuzD123
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

RC is a great place to see shows.  We especially enjoyed Mamma Mia on Allure.  You can’t go wrong as the show price is in your cruise fare.  Enjoy whichever you choose!

Booked for the afternoon showing next week.  🙂 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

And the best Mamma Mia on Allure.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, twangster said:

This brochure is now a little dated in that it does not include Icon or Utopia, but it does summarize the entertainment available on rest of the fleet fairly well:

Royal Caribbean Entertainment Guide

There are ships that have a Broadway show and an alternate Royal Caribbean produced show but there are no ships that have multiple Broadway shows.

Royal has been shifting away from Broadway shows due in part to licensing costs but also other factors.  Instead they have recently begun putting that money into homegrown production shows.

Icon has Wizard of Oz, which was really good in my book. I tend to agree with your comment about RCI shifting away from Broadway shows, but really curious to see if RCI has Broadway shows on their next two Icon ships. 

16 hours ago, island lady said:

Keep in mind Tic Tock may not be a reliable source.  😉 

TikTok is an excellent source of information if you follow the right people. And if you follow the Cruise Spotter you'll have FOMO daily.  🙂 

16 hours ago, George C said:

I believe there is a charter filled with broadway artist , lots of music charters we annually do a 70’s music charter on celebrity. It sells our really quick did it last 6 years.

Yep the Broadway Cruise, one of the many Sixthman Charter cruises. That company is owned by NCL hence every sailing is on one of their ships. They have a charter cruise for pretty much every musical taste. 

• Like 1

As other have said, only one Broadway show at most, but if your daughter enjoys theatre and entertainment, I recommend an Oasis class. They have an Aqua show (very impressive and different from anything you've seen) , an ice show, and most have an additional Royal produced show. 

Note that Wonder doesn't have a Broadway show so maybe avoid that one if Broadway is priority. 

• Like 2

I know a lot of people were unhappy with there being no Broadway show on Wonder, and Icon "reversed the trend" with Wizard of Oz, so it will be interesting to see what ends up on Utopia.

6 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

TikTok is an excellent source of information if you follow the right people. And if you follow the Cruise Spotter you'll have FOMO daily.  🙂 

While on the World Cruise, especially in the first few weeks, we had way too many Tic Tok types posting wrong and misleading information.  Many of them were not on the cruise, and some had never cruised before, but acted like they were on board.   

There are a few very good ones on board, one being a friend of mine, but too many were way out of line.  

Did not earn my respect.  

5 hours ago, Smiley_Man said:

I know a lot of people were unhappy with there being no Broadway show on Wonder, and Icon "reversed the trend" with Wizard of Oz, so it will be interesting to see what ends up on Utopia.

I was surprised Wonder didn’t have a Broadway show. I was very disappointed in Voices, one of the worst shows I have seen on any RCI ship. Tap Factory was really good when it was on Wonder. 

• Like 1