Drinks package/policy changes?

2 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Sorry  this is a a cruise not the local pub .

One should expect better food accompanied by better wine than your local pub .

One should indeed expect better food than the local pub on a cruise ship. The food on Aurora was however significantly worse on our cruise a few weeks ago (with the notable exception being Sindu which was excellent).

The beer and wines were the same brands.

• Like 2

I have spent a fair bit of this endless journey home reading this 23 page thread.  Does anyone know of a cruise line who actually allow any alcohol to be brought onboard for personal consumption?  I have to say I can’t recall one. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

I have spent a fair bit of this endless journey home reading this 23 page thread.  Does anyone know of a cruise line who actually allow any alcohol to be brought onboard for personal consumption?  I have to say I can’t recall one. 

Very few now and generally those who are all ai anyway so you bringing on a decent malt does not affect their profits.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Exactly.  I cannot understand how P and O’s new policy has stirred up so much angst!

Because their onboard offerings are fairly limited and pedestrian.

Add to that the change has been made after people have paid in full so customers have no valid choices.

• Like 6

Just now, Eglesbrech said:

Because their onboard offerings are fairly limited and pedestrian.

Add to that the change has been made after people have paid in full so customers have no valid choices.

Fair enough but the prices are still very reasonable at £9.50 for a large glass of very pleasant wine, the equivalent of which would be a lot more on American lines with an additional 18% service charge.  Cheaper wines are also available. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Exactly.  I cannot understand how P and O’s new policy has stirred up so much angst!

Well, 558 replies and over 25k views says it must mean a lot to some people. 

• Like 6

The drinks menu on the P&O website from May 2023 has a Merlot from Chile 250ml £7.50.  I photographed the wine list in one of the bars and the 250ml Merlot, Chile was £8.80 in April 2024!  

I also thought that wine and spirits onboard were duty and VAT free, (except for 10% added in Spanish waters) unlike pubs and restaurant in the UK.  

I agree that the food on P&O should be better than a pub, but we've been to quite a few pubs to stay in the last few years and frankly I have had better food in the pub if last October on Aurora is anything to go by.  Never see constant roasts on a pub menu.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Isn't that standard P&O practice though?  The vast amount of changes over the past few years have all been made on a take it or leave it tough luck stance. Maleth Aero being the biggest one.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Surely you dont expect paid for food and drink prices to be fixed at, a variable, point of booking do you?

Perhaps not TJ, but nor would I expect to find out at the check in desk that I can no longer take a bottle of alcohol onboard amongst other things, as has been the case for those boarding Britannia on the 10th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S1971 said:

Perhaps not TJ, but nor would I expect to find out at the check in desk that I can no longer take a bottle of alcohol onboard amongst other things, as has been the case for those boarding Britannia on the 10th.

2 hours ago, S1971 said:

How did they find out that they could?

(After I post this, I'm not coming back for a while as I know I'll get shot down for it).

Reading some of the comments on this long running thread, it seems that specific alcoholic drinks are so important to some people that I wonder whether their health could be vastly improved by 2 weeks making do without any alcohol.

Sorry. I'm off now.🙃

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

19 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Cunard

21 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Very few now and generally those who are all ai anyway so you bringing on a decent malt does not affect their profits.

It may if folk bring there own coke to tip in it.🤐

21 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Not really most drink packages include mixers, and soft drinks are free.

Didn't know that. So you take on a bottle of Malt and P&O supply the coke free. Well done P&O

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

The only thing that makes whisky drinkable is a large dose of coke! (Don's tin hat)😉

Or the only thing that makes coke drinkable is a large dose of whisky 😁

• Haha 7

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The only thing that makes whisky drinkable is a large dose of coke! (Don's tin hat)😉

I can’t abide whisky or coke! 😂