Ventura - level 3?

2 hours ago, tring said:

that is theft.

No it's not.

'A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it'.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I note this thread about Ventura was started on 7th May.  So is the present Illness mentioned on news websites today a new one or a continuation of that?

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2024-05-18/health-officials-to-meet-p-and-o-cruise-after-gastrointestinal-illness-outbreak

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c9wzvw892wdo

Edited by Ray66

37 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

I note this thread about Ventura was started on 7th May.  So is the present Illness mentioned on news websites today a new one or a continuation of that?

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2024-05-18/health-officials-to-meet-p-and-o-cruise-after-gastrointestinal-illness-outbreak

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c9wzvw892wdo

The original post referd to gastroenteris, the new reports refer to Norovirus. I am not sure if there is a difference. There was deep clean of Ventura 2 weeks ago. Friends of ours embarked after the deep clean and did not get a gastro bug, although 2 of them now have covid.

• Thanks 1

I think ventura has had issues with a sickness bug since April. My parents disembarked 2 weeks before we boarded and the precautions started half way through their cruise and don't seem to have been lifted. We were all thankfully OK but sounds like other people haven't been so fortunate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its on the bbc news web page about Ventura.

Seems a stomach bug is about at the mo, lots of kids off school at my daus school at the mo with stomach bug. 

Yet i bet there are still lots of non hand washing mingers still walking around the ship and on land atm. 

• Like 1

Loads of gastro bugs around it seems at hospital and school: the other month nearly half my son's class were off at some point over the space of a few weeks with gastrointestinal bugs or scarlet fever.

I was also in hospital for a week, and whole wards were closed due to gastro bugs: and that was a ward with some serious strict infection protection protocols, and mostly bedbound patients, and yet it still spread.

Sadly norovirus is airborne and highly contagious, and often starts with little to no warning. 

8 hours ago, Cloudyrain said:

Loads of gastro bugs around it seems at hospital and school: the other month nearly half my son's class were off at some point over the space of a few weeks with gastrointestinal bugs or scarlet fever.

I was also in hospital for a week, and whole wards were closed due to gastro bugs: and that was a ward with some serious strict infection protection protocols, and mostly bedbound patients, and yet it still spread.

Sadly norovirus is airborne and highly contagious, and often starts with little to no warning. 

Norovirus is more commonly spread on surfaces, that’s why hand washing is so important.

There are other, commonly circulating viruses that are airborne….. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Norovirus is more commonly spread on surfaces, that’s why hand washing is so important.

Noro is airborne, and can also live for hours on surfaces. Of course there are other illnesses that are circulating that are airborne. I was just pointing out that as noro is also airborne it's super tough to get on top of it with confined spaces, even when good cleaning systems are implemented. 

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As I understand it (I am not an expert so stand to be corrected) Norovirus is viral infection, as opposed to many (most?) other stomach infections which are caused by bacteria, often in infected food. Antibacterial gels are ineffective against it, regular handwashing is essential if it is to be contained.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Cloudyrain said:

Noro is airborne, and can also live for hours on surfaces. Of course there are other illnesses that are circulating that are airborne. I was just pointing out that as noro is also airborne it's super tough to get on top of it with confined spaces, even when good cleaning systems are implemented. 

This isn’t the place for detailed information, but Noro is primarily spread through contact with vomit or fecal matter from infected people. 

Infected people deposit that stuff on surfaces, then other people pick it up by touching those surfaces, hence the need for regular and thorough handwashing 

If Noro was airborne, the advice would be the same as for other airborne viruses - keeping your distance from people, keeping to well ventilated areas, and considering wearing a mask when felt appropriate.

at this point, it seems sensible to try to protect ourselves from both surface spread and air spread viruses, and do all of the above. 

Edited by Dermotsgirl
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

This isn’t the place for detailed information, but Noro is primarily spread through contact with vomit or fecal matter from infected people. 

Infected people deposit that stuff on surfaces, then other people pick it up by touching those surfaces, hence the need for regular and thorough handwashing 

If Noro was airborne, the advice would be the same as for other airborne viruses - keeping your distance from people, keeping to well ventilated areas, and considering wearing a mask when felt appropriate.

at this point, it seems sensible to try to protect ourselves from both surface spread and air spread viruses, and do all of the above. 

This extract from a study performed by the University of Sheffield is interesting:

“Norovirus can spread very easily - it takes just 18 norovirus particles to infect another person, as opposed to 1,000 coronavirus particles needed to spread the infection. Our findings show that although good hand hygiene practices are important to preventing the spread of many viruses, they are insufficient at controlling the norovirus. Natalie Winder, PhD Researcher at the University of Sheffield’s Department of Oncology and Metabolism

Is the onboard policy on cabin isolation still the same? If one person in a cabin is infected and isolated surely  other occupants should be confined as well. Having them wander the ship spreading the disease does not help.

Posted (edited)

Are there any more recent updates on the situation, ie is there still a threatened crew hands down or what? Her next cruise is 25 May so not far off if they are going to do anything drastic.

This ITV news report seems to suggest there is going to be a meeting on 25 May, that's pretty useless for boarding passengers many of whom will be in Southampton or on the way.

Edited by Megabear2

26 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

This ITV news report seems to suggest there is going to be a meeting on 25 May

I suspect that is routine and probably happens more often than we are aware of.

• Like 1

Is there anyone currently onboard the Ventura that can send an update regarding current norovirus issues onborad ? Or hopefully an update on an improvement in terms of levels of sickness? 

44 minutes ago, cimarron42 said:

Got this email today regarding my Ventura cruise on Saturday (25th May)

IMG_4471.jpeg

Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a great cruise and that this deep clean solves the problem 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Had the same email for Arvia on the Sunday .Except only 2hrs and no extra obc so 11.30am  moved to 1.30pm .

We had a 30 minutes delay on Aurora last weekend. Hardly seems worth it. 

Ventura sailing on Saturday . Please can anyone sailing this weekend share an update on the sickness issues onboard or hopefully lack of sickness ? I have relatives sailing on the following cruise and they are nervous due to recent press reports/posts. Thanks in advance. 

So how do they deep clean a cruise ship in a few hours? 

Do they wash all the bed linen, pillows, duvets at 60C?

Steam clean carpets & curtains?

Use Anti-Viral fogging methods? 

On 5/19/2024 at 10:52 AM, Denarius said:

As I understand it (I am not an expert so stand to be corrected) Norovirus is viral infection, as opposed to many (most?) other stomach infections which are caused by bacteria, often in infected food. Antibacterial gels are ineffective against it, regular handwashing is essential if it is to be contained.

Unfortunately, despite hand washing and use of the supplied hand gels on entering dining rooms and buffet I still caught Norovirus on a recent Azure cruise.

As you say Antibacterial gels are ineffective against it, I still went down with Norovirus.

Trying to minimise the risk on future cruises I had a think. I have to use a walking stick so quite probably after touching an infected surface and then using my walking stick the handle of my walking stick became contaminated, so after washing my hands then holding my stick my hands would become re-contaminated.

I have read that copper is a very good antiviral, its been proven to kill coronavirus, so I have bought myself a walking stick with a brass handle. I can smell the brass on my hands after using it, so I hope this will work. I have also bough a bottle of the antiviral foam which was recommended on this forum, I will soak a handkerchief in this stuff and keep in a bag in my pocket. I definitely won't rely on the P&O gel stuff.

On our recent Briannia cruise I noticed quite a few people not washing their hands before going into the buffet so I started washing my hands on the way out too. Think DH thought I'd gone mad but I kept thinking of the unwashed folk handling the serving utensils and even saw some passengers picking food up with their fingers!