Oasis Class Pool Deck Shade

We were on Oasis a few years ago and sitting in the shade wasn't my thing and was happy to sit by the pool in the blazing sun.  Fast forward a few years and I have been diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma although not from sun damage according to my oncologist.  Anyway, the other classes of ships have the track above the pool deck so it is easy to find shade near the pool.  Just came off Mariner and was easily able to find someplace shady to sit by the pool. I don't remember if there was any shade available on the pool deck on Oasis class ships since it is on a top deck and the "track" is much lower on the outside of the ship.  Are there any covered portions on the pool deck? It is a charter with tons of pool activities so I would like to still be able to be nearby the pool, just in a shady spot.  Thanks.

I find it hard to find comfortable chairs in the shade. I also have hr a problem with skin cancer, though I do get some, I dont sit out. Doctor says avoid the sun. Lol impossible. 

we like to lay in the sun and my observation on our last cruise on Wonder is that there were a lot of spaces to lay in the shade.  Maybe not right next to the pool, but the top deck had a lot of overhangs that created various shade spots.

It was never a problem but I was more worried about all the sun spots being taken.

Dan

4 hours ago, KuffMUp said:

We were on Oasis a few years ago and sitting in the shade wasn't my thing and was happy to sit by the pool in the blazing sun.  Fast forward a few years and I have been diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma although not from sun damage according to my oncologist.  Anyway, the other classes of ships have the track above the pool deck so it is easy to find shade near the pool.  Just came off Mariner and was easily able to find someplace shady to sit by the pool. I don't remember if there was any shade available on the pool deck on Oasis class ships since it is on a top deck and the "track" is much lower on the outside of the ship.  Are there any covered portions on the pool deck? It is a charter with tons of pool activities so I would like to still be able to be nearby the pool, just in a shady spot.  Thanks.

Plenty of shade under the upper deck pool.  Not to be picky un but, the upper deck to the pool   is not a track as the run/walk track is on the 5th deck.

• 2 weeks later...

Our preferred spot is the bar area above the solarium.  Usually a couple of rows up there. Only works on ships that don't have a restaurant above the Solarium Bistro.

Depending on ship direction and if you like more noise and wind, the deck above the pool may have some shade for part of the day.  Running track may be shaded on one side, although depending of direction that can be the smoking area..

We only sit in the shade on the Oasis and all other cruise lines ships.  No problem finding a seat- unless you try at 11:00 AM.  Also late in the afternoon seats empty.  We like to sit if we don't have our family with us in the solarium near the bar- that level has nice shade.  My DH also had melanoma- early stage but it required surgery and a nasal flap.  Fortunately he had an excellent plastic surgeon.  He still goes to his dermatologist for body checks every three months and wears sun screen 12 months of the year-.  I do not get why people still sit in the sun?  Their skin not only is vulnerable to Skin CA- but looks leathery .  Not attractive at all.

Team shade here as well. I don’t tan, I burn. We usually sit in the Solarium. No interest in the main pools. Wonder’s enclosed Solarium can get warm so we found a nice shady spot with a breeze just outside the entrance. It’s not really near any of the pools & likely not seen as a good spot by many but we liked it. We’d rather look at the ocean than human soup or pool activities.

IMG_2015.thumb.jpeg.aecf3eac043ba46fe4857b8d02747502.jpeg

• Like 4

OCSC Mike just showed you a picture of my personal favorite spot:  Shade with the ocean at your feet.  I can happily stay half a day in that chair!  

A couple thoughts: 

- If you want a single chair, it's usually possible to find a chair in the shade or sun, as you please.  The problem is when you want multiple chairs together.  

- Lately they've moved small tables next to the clear glass walls.  I don't like this, as I want a lounger.  

- On our recent cruises, they've had "no saving chairs" notices on the loungers, and I've noticed a big downtick in chair hogging.  Love it!  

- On sea days I get up early to grab the chair I want.  As long as I arrive 7:00-7:30ish, I can get just what I want -- and then I stay in it 'til about noon or 1:00.  

One more thing:  Mike, I like those drink holders.  Where'd you get them?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Mike, I like those drink holders.  Where'd you get them?

Amazon. Someone recommended them at RC Blog and several of us regulars over there bought them. They came in far more handy than I thought. We even used them in our cabin, clipped to the night table or the desk.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088DFX1BB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, OCSC Mike said:

Amazon. Someone recommended them at RC Blog and several of us regulars over there bought them. They came in far more handy than I thought. We even used them in our cabin, clipped to the night table or the desk.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088DFX1BB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8

Thanks!  I'm going to check them out right now. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 1:22 PM, OCSC Mike said:

I just ordered some, these look so handy and convenient. Thanks!!

• Like 1