First cruise - packing seems challenging

z111

We are going to Alaska. It sounds like we should expect rain, cold, and warm.

Packing for cold weather or variable weather always takes more suitcase room.

Trying to also pack for outdoor things and indoor cruise things is adding more complication.

I'm trying to limit myself to just a carry on and am struggling, in part, due to bulky items but also, for vacay, I usually just have comfortable outdoor clothes and nothing dressy.

I have some thermals that don't take up much room. I'm thinking 2 pairs of jeans. And a few daytime not jeans outfits.

Any advice would be gratefully received. I am aware we can do some laundry! 

Thanks 

Part of your struggle seems self-inflicted because you want only a carry on. Just check a full size bag and your problems are greatly reduced, plus you won't be struggling to find overhead space.

On our last cruise we had two flights that were delayed pushing back because passengers stubbornly insisted that space be found for their carry-ons where none existed, before eventually accepting the inevitable and gate checking their bags.

• Like 5

A lot depends on where you live now and how you react to cold. We have done nine Alaska cruises. Not because we love Alaska, but we live in Seattle so we can hop on a ship when there is a good deal. People from warmer climates find it very cold. We were on our verandah one afternoon when the weather was perfect outside and for us it was a nice, warm day (in the mid-60s) and looked out to see all the Floridians and Texans in their down parkas. 

The key thing to remember is layer...layer...layer.

• Like 3

I love compression bags for jackets and other bulky items.  Dress in layers.  Make a packing list and stick to it.  Check out some “expert” packing videos.  I like Rick Steves and the Vivienne Files.  As mentioned, consider checking a bag.  

We cruised Alaska in July. Never really got cold (we are Floridians) but we made sure we had good rain gear…staying dry equally important

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrKoob said:

A lot depends on where you live now and how you react to cold. We have done nine Alaska cruises. Not because we love Alaska, but we live in Seattle so we can hop on a ship when there is a good deal. People from warmer climates find it very cold. We were on our verandah one afternoon when the weather was perfect outside and for us it was a nice, warm day (in the mid-60s) and looked out to see all the Floridians and Texans in their down parkas. 

We're in NW Montana and up until literally today, it's been pretty wintry. 🙂 
We prefer cooler weather and don't do well in heat. (I've also wondered if the room would have some way to get cool air in but i guess with the balcony that's all good.)

My favorite weather is sunny, dry, 40°-70F (but sunny and dry might not happen either, but that's ok.)

3 hours ago, Frenchberet said:

I love compression bags for jackets and other bulky items.  Dress in layers.  Make a packing list and stick to it.  Check out some “expert” packing videos.  I like Rick Steves and the Vivienne Files.  As mentioned, consider checking a bag.  

Don't you need a vacuum for the compression?

2 hours ago, z111 said:

Don't you need a vacuum for the compression?

The compression bags I use for packing don’t require a vacuum.  You roll them to squish the air out then zip.  Check Amazon for “Roll Up Travel Compression Bags, Hand Roll Space Saver bags”.

7 hours ago, z111 said:

Trying to also pack for outdoor things and indoor cruise things is adding more complication.

I'm trying to limit myself to just a carry on and am struggling, in part, due to bulky items but also, for vacay, I usually just have comfortable outdoor clothes and nothing dressy.

I have some thermals that don't take up much room. I'm thinking 2 pairs of jeans. And a few daytime not jeans outfits.

Thanks 

You’re going on your first cruise, to an area that may be variable in temperature and weather. 

Why stress yourself over packing? One of the beautiful things about cruising is that your hotel room moves with you - you only unpack once.

Check a couple of bags (cross-packed) and take a light carry on each with emergency stuff for a few days, in the event of luggage issues. You’ll find you will take too much, but you’ll learn for the next trip without having to worry about this one. Focus on what should be a great experience - your first cruise. 🍺🥌

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 5/9/2024 at 7:58 PM, z111 said:

Thanks 

Pack as you would for a stay in a 4* hotel in whichever part of the world you are going to. 

Pack outfits that are comfortable enough for excursions but snart enough for evenings, smart casual. 

Two pairs of shoes smart but comfortable, and comfortable but reasoably smart. 

There's nothing special about clothing for cruises, just meet any dress codes and dress for expected weather 

Packing for a cruise:

Limit the colors in your clothes.  Take only washable items. (free launderettes on board).

For our 2 Alaskan cruises I packed the following:. 2 pairs of trekking quick dry pants, 1 set of silk "thermals" to layer on colder days/trips, 1 pair of "dressy pants. 3 casual tops, 2 dressy tops, 1 pair black leather shoes for touring or dinner, and rain/wind jacket. I wear black jeans, casual top, black shirt jacket that I can wear to dinner), vest, and walking/hiking shoes when traveling. Make sure you can easily get your rain jacket if you need it when you arrive. Also packed gloves, hat and thermal scarf for touring.

Do not get to "dressy" for the evening and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

if you need packing help and are on facebook - there's a page called "travel fashion girls" that has tons of tips on packing and even packing lists for cruises and locations

• Like 1

We always seem to take too much.  Also have done Alaska in carryons, one for 15 days.  And I never take jeans.  Just take up too much space and too much drying time if you do laundry.  Travelsmith and others have great travel pants with secure pockets which pack very small and wrinkles hang out.  Wear your big comfy walking shoes on the plane as well as a weather resistant jacket.  Cruise season in Alaska is cool to warm but rarely cold.  I ran ships up that way years ago all year round.  There is a reason cruise season is when it is.🍷

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 7:30 PM, z111 said:

We're in NW Montana and up until literally today, it's been pretty wintry. 🙂 
We prefer cooler weather and don't do well in heat. (I've also wondered if the room would have some way to get cool air in but i guess with the balcony that's all good.)

My favorite weather is sunny, dry, 40°-70F (but sunny and dry might not happen either, but that's ok.)

The air conditioning works quite well. In Hawaii and Tahiti it was in the upper 80’s and very humid. My cabin was cool and comfortable all the time.

For Alaska, I  wear a light  T shirt, collared shirt with a breast pocket, a zippered cotton/wool pullover, and a Gore-Tex orange wind and rain proof shell jacket with hood. Brown or black jeans, warm socks, and Merrell hiking shoes.  Pack a knit ski cap. Good to zero Farenheit.

The rest of the stuff, including two T shirts, shower slippers. twill trousers, shorts, good shoes and more socks. Another 2-3 folded shirts, underwear, swimsuit.

Worked well on the Trade Routes of the Vikings (wind, cold rain in Bergen, 90 F in Malaga) and a mid-size checked roller bag. Rain is an enemy, need stuff that dries quickly.

I'm on board now.  I made sure to pack enough clothing to get us through our  post cruise days when we won't have access to laundry facilities. We can dress for five days without having to do any laundry. 

For planning purposes, sending laundry out takes 2 day -- in by 9 am back the next day at dinner time.  If your steward gets to your cabin after 9am, it will be yet another day before you get it back.  

We are getting into Vancouver on Tuesday.  On the Alaska leg of this trip, I have pretty much worn jeans/heavy khakis, my Merrill waterproof hiking shoes, a sweater and a puffer jacket (ironically, bought in the Viking shop during a Covid cruise when we had tons of OBC to spend).  I have one Dale sweater with me, and 2 cashmere ones.  I also have long sleeved cotton shirts that I wore under the sweaters as another layer if needed.  I’ve been comfortable.  I have 2 pair of leggings that I wear around the ship on sea days, and a pair of black dress slacks that I wear for when I can’t wear jeans.  

We have been on this ship since Bangkok, and I’ve not touched most of the clothes I have needed for the warmer weather since Japan.  

These days we just take carryons. If you don’t mind wearing the same few outfits for a couple weeks, it’s not that hard to do. On our last cruise I didn’t bother to bring jeans — just a couple pairs of black pants I could wear on excursions and in the no-jeans dining venues. Our carryons were adequate for our 3-week trip (we spent an extra week onshore beforehand).

The biggest tradeoff is having to do laundry more often when you have fewer clothes. We packed enough to go a week between laundering, which meant washing underthings in the sink or shower in between times. 

Or you could pay a bit extra and have Viking do your laundry. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Twitchly said:

These days we just take carryons. If you don’t mind wearing the same few outfits for a couple weeks, it’s not that hard to do. On our last cruise I didn’t bother to bring jeans — just a couple pairs of black pants I could wear on excursions and in the no-jeans dining venues. Our carryons were adequate for our 3-week trip (we spent an extra week onshore beforehand).

The biggest tradeoff is having to do laundry more often when you have fewer clothes. We packed enough to go a week between laundering, which meant washing underthings in the sink or shower in between times. 

Or you could choose a stateroom category with included laundry, Very convenient.

I brought a checked bag. My husband mocked me relentlessly! 😂

But it was still a bit too small and i should have got a bigger suitcase! 

It does seem ridiculous but it also meant i could have all the liquids i wanted!

We leave tomorrow.

i appreciate everyone’s help.

• Haha 1

Remember there is a free laundry room on board! 🧺 

I’d wear a pair of jeans/pants and pack a pair. 
I have a long black maxi dress and a no heal sandals that I wear for dinner. I change it up with a scarf or necklace. Otherwise that’s my dinner outfit unless I’m going to the buffet. 
As has been mentioned layers are your friend. I do not think you will need long underwear… but if you have a pair of leggings that you can wear with a tunic to the buffet it can do double duty. 
DO NOT FORGET YOUR BATHING SUIT. 🩱 You can wear it with your provided Viking robe to the spa while your spouse does the laundry. 😉 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Exactly how we handle it! No lost luggage and black pants go with anything.

Having the cruise line do your laundry can be a very efficient way to minimize the amount of baggage you have to drag during the pre- or post- aspects of the cruise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, z111 said:

I brought a checked bag. My husband mocked me relentlessly! 😂

Knock on wood... I haven't had a problem with lost luggage, though I have travel insurance, as well as, what the carrier's are required to cover per (I believe) DOT policy.

I think a couple had their luggage delayed by the airline carrier on a Viking river cruise, and Viking worked with them and effectively comp'ed them free laundry every day until the bag made it.