Live from the Beyond! May 18, ABC Sailing

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from AbbyCruiser45! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

AbbyCruiser45 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Hello everyone, and welcome to my second Live! I have not been on the boards much this year, but I still want to do a live since it’s basically a travel diary for me. Last year, I did a live for the exact same cruise that I am doing this year. The title of my live had to do with traveling on a budget because my partner, Kaleb, and I had just graduated from doctoral programs and were jobless. The great news is that we both have awesome jobs now that we love. So budget (to a degree) no more! 

We’re still doing things on the cheaper side since we are saving for a wedding (not engaged but it’ll be “soon”….not on this cruise though) and a down payment for a house. So what that means is that we are sailing in an inside room! We don’t mind inside rooms at all, and this is actually a family trip with my parents, sister, and her husband, so we won’t be in the room too much anyways. We did do a more than a minimum bid on an IV and concierge room, but it has not been accepted, so that does not look promising. Though it has not been marked as expired yet, so there is technically still hope. For the cruise itself, we already have premium wifi and drinks pre-booked, plus Eden on our first night.

Alright, so what do we have coming up? I’m starting this thread early since I’ll be getting ready later in the week. My travel is starting early as I’ll actually drive up to my parents’ on Thursday to drop off these goobers (new in our life since last year). I adore their cat sitter, so we’re paying her to watch our babies also. For all my cat people out there, they will be separated from my parents’ cats! We’ll all fly out on Friday, everyone except me in the morning. I am in a fellowship program for an extra $$ ( and of course training) this summer, and there was a mandatory meeting during the middle of the flight, so I rebooked for a later one and will be taking my meeting camera off in the Centurion lounge. Will there be a glass of champagne off camera? Time will tell. 

image.thumb.png.7370f7d271af9f6dbe643f1534fbf779.png

In Fort Lauderdale, the family, minus me and Kaleb, will be staying in the Embassy Suites. They’re supposed to have a multi-million dollar renovation starting soon, which will be great because that hotel was getting a little tired. Kaleb and I will be visiting his family in Fort Lauderdale for the night. Though my parents put our names in their room, so we’ll still visit the hotel for the happy hour, and I can report if the renovation is starting. 

I’ll post throughout the week leading up, but here is a quick look at the sailing. It’s an ABC (ACB?). In Aruba, we’ll do an X excursion to De Palm Island. In Curacao, we’re doing a resort day pass. Finally, in Bonaire, we’re going to Sorobon Beach, which ended up being my favorite from our last trip. This should be a relaxed trip. I’m looking forward to sharing it with you all! 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

Hello everyone, and welcome to my second Live!

I’ll post throughout the week  This should be a relaxed trip. I’m looking forward to sharing it with you all! 

My wife's brother and his wife will be on the cruise with you.  And, we will be on Beyond for a B2B starting June 23rd.  So, we will be reading your report.  😊

26 minutes ago, Beachlover1989 said:

I love your kitties!  Are they a certain breed?  Looking forward to your LIVE!

They are shelter kittens! We did a DNA test on them and their biggest percentage (only 16% though) was Maine Coon. Followed by Siberian and Ragdoll. The Ragdoll is strong in cat on the right. Floppiest cat I've ever met!

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Congratulations on your doctoral programs and graduations.  I missed mine by about 6 hours, as did my DH.  However, that was a very long time ago and we were both employed full time.  Your kitties are adorable and thanks for adopting.  Hope you have a wonderful cruise, as you both so deserve this.  I did the same last December on Beyond, but have been a little unhappy that she is not permitted outside the Caribbean.  Beyond was fantastic in Europe.  Hope you can do Europe in the future, after you get that house and tie the knot, but of course that is your choice!  Relax and enjoy!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Beyond, but have been a little unhappy that she is not permitted outside the Caribbean.

Is there a reason for this?  I have no idea how ships get assigned to which region of the world...

Will be following along as we are doing a similar itin on Beyond in November for our 20th wedding anniversary.  It's a 10 night and like you, we are going  very budget conscious with a deluxe ocean view room.  Safe travels!

1 hour ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

They are shelter kittens! We did a DNA test on them and their biggest percentage (only 16% though) was Maine Coon. Followed by Siberian and Ragdoll. The Ragdoll is strong in cat on the right. Floppiest cat I've ever met!

They are really good looking cats!

44 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Is there a reason for this?  I have no idea how ships get assigned to which region of the world...

I believe to increase profits by replacing with Ascent in Europe, as did not need another ship.  My guess only.

• Thanks 1

Def looking forward to a report on the  Embassy Suites refurb/updates. Our last stay was disappointing. It was very dingy, dusty,  and dated. 

We switched to Wyndham in Dania after that...it was actually  much worse and very pricey .  Next two cruises we'll stay at Holiday Inn near the Convention Center..but hope to eventually return to ES.

love ABC ports!  enjoy!

Following, hope you have a great trip, we are on the same itinerary 6/15-6/23. What day pass are you doing in Curacao? We are going to self explore Aruba and we have golf carts rented for Bonaire but wasn't really sure what to do in Curacao except the floating bridge.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hevnsprncs said:

What day pass are you doing in Curacao?

We're doing the Avila Beach Hotel. It is only $15 a person, but only includes chairs (no food, drink, etc., but there is a restaurant on site). It is a 30 minute walk from port and will take you over the bridge and through the downtown area. I haven't been but my parents have multiple times and they love it. 

Last year, we went to the Curaco Rif Magrove Park and it was really neat. We only walked through, but they offer kayak tours for pretty cheap ($25/person). The entrance fee is steep for what it is at $15/person. I think that is more than last year. I just thought of it as a donation in my mind since the fees go to maintaining the park. There's a lot of bridges and boardwalks and one overlook tower. Tons of birds and fish. Very hot though, so go in the morning if you want to! Also walkable from port.

There is also a cafe right by the bridge with outdoor seating that is covered. We just sat there, ordered a drink and some bitterballen (a Dutch specialty) and watched the day go by. It was a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Def looking forward to a report on the  Embassy Suites refurb/updates. Our last stay was disappointing. It was very dingy, dusty,  and dated. 

100% agree. I'm looking forward to it...although with Kaleb's family now local to Fort Lauderdale we probably won't stay there again. I've stayed in some new Embassy Suites and they are really nice. Hopefully it is a total renovation! I'll ask when I'm there. 

10 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

We're doing the Avila Beach Hotel. It is only $15 a person, but only includes chairs (no food, drink, etc., but there is a restaurant on site). It is a 30 minute walk from port and will take you over the bridge and through the downtown area. I haven't been but my parents have multiple times and they love it. 

Thank you for the information. Where did you book through or do you just go day of?

39 minutes ago, hevnsprncs said:

Thank you for the information. Where did you book through or do you just go day of?

They ask that you book in advance! I can’t remember if links are allowed but if you just Google “Avila beach hotel day pass” it’ll be the first link. There is a button to book online, but that actually just takes you to WhatsApp to message the hotel. They’ll mark down your reservation and then you’ll pay in person. 

I am on the same cruise. I am also doing the Avila. I looked at that and the Marriott, but I decided on the Avila as I like more local vibe and will likely go for a few hours in the morning and head back to the ship. I contacted a local taxi company to arrange transportation. They suggested I download their app, 24/7 Taxi Curacao. From what I can tell, it looks like Uber and you can arrange taxis in advance or on demand. This is my fourth time in Aruba and Curacao and my second time in Bonaire. Most recently I was at all three in September 2022 on the Equinox. Previously in Curacao, I’ve gone kayaking through a cruise ship excursion, an independent open air bus tour that went to the liquor factory and Mambo Beach, and most recently a private tour with Gone Caribe. It was one of the most comprehensive and best private tours I’ve ever done. Previously in Aruba, I’ve gone snorkeling through a cruise ship excursion, to Renaissance Island, and to Eagle Beach via taxi. This time, I am doing the ultimate Jeep tour by ABC Tours. In the past, my ships have always docked too late to hop on this tour, which is over eight hours. In Bonaire, I am going on a snorkeling excursion through the ship. I looked into the Lady Bellais which is an independent snorkeling excursion run by the same folks who run the golf carts, but I really don’t care for the lunch and Congo dancing. I just want to snorkel and then get back to town so I can explore a little bit. The last time I was there in September 2022, we had a very short port day from 8 to 2. I did a bicycle tour through the ship and it pretty much took the whole time. This snorkeling excursion through the ship is about three hours and starts at 8:15. I should have plenty of time after that to explore.