Celebrity removes loungers from balcony?

25 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

According to people on the site that shall not be named, passengers are getting loungers when asking for them on Edge class ships. It’s become my go to question when I see them in balcony pictures. 

We were on Beyond in January and were given a firm no,  so again, it’s inconsistent. 

• Like 1

Welp. Amazon has a reasonably sized and priced portable lounger (search FLIPCHAIR) with backpack straps, that will fit folded up into my larger suitcase. 14lbs. Will see what happens in our next Sky Suite... If no lounger--and especially if we receive a blanket policy statement of no loungers before or on that cruise--it's going with us. I don't mind lugging along more/larger luggage to have my comforts.

And such a chair would eliminate the need to book a ship's tour to a less-preferred beach, simply for the convenience of otherwise unavailable loungers. (Never mind that on some excursions you STILL have to pay for a chair...)

• Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 11:05 AM, publicpersona said:

Perhaps they'll introduce an exciting new product - Specialty Chairing.

When I saw another thread here asking about the "Sofa package", I thought Celebrity was taking my idea and running with it.

The basic Sofa Package would have a loveseat. The Sofa Package Plus an actual sofa. With the Premium Sofa Package, they give you the cushions too.

• Haha 8

This is extremely disappointing to see as we just booked an SV cabin on the Apex for 2026 a few days ago fully expecting to have loungers available.  This was to be our first X cruise since our honeymoon in 1998.... maybe we won't be trying X again after all. Good thing we have a refundable deposit as there is NO WAY we are keeping a large aft balcony without loungers! Will definitely be watching for updates.

• Like 1

For those of you canceling or not booking future cruises, please drop a note to Celebrity corporate to let them know why.

For anyone who wants to ask the President on the next President's cruise, please also mention in your question how patronizing it is for her staff to hide behind safety as an excuse.

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

Actually, it is not the first time Celebrity decided to remove the loungers from balconies. Look here: 

Back in 2012, the CC members were able to get a more comprehensive answer from Celebrity - apparently it was the lounger cover that constituted a fire hazard on the balconies not equipped with the sprinklers. Someone made an educated guess that this could occur during a regular insurance inspection so that Celebrity issued the call to remove the loungers fleetwide, while quietly keeping the possibility to request and get the lounger for the guests. A similar problem appeared at approximately same time on both RCCL and Princess. Look at that thread - very educational.

Bottom line - a storm of the phone calls and Facebook messages ensued and the cruise companies backed up in 2011-2012.

BTW, the well-know site with the deckplans now openly states for all Celebrity ships "All loungers are being removed from ALL staterooms balconies for "safety" reasons" 

Edited by voyager1964
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

For those of you canceling or not booking future cruises, please drop a note to Celebrity corporate to let them know why.

For anyone who wants to ask the President on the next President's cruise, please also mention in your question how patronizing it is for her staff to hide behind safety as an excuse.

I know I should know as I’ve emailed before but what is the email address please for corporate? I can’t seem to find it 🤦🏻‍♀️ thank you 

We have a friend that was on another ship today in Skagway and she took a picture of the ship for us knowing that we will be cruising soon.  There definitely were lounge chairs on the deck of the Penthouse 6147 today.  I couldn't tell about the other decks on the aft since there was too much reflection. 

• Thanks 1

Suggestions for your emails and/or Customer Service phone calls. These were points that I emphasized: It's all patently obvious, and many of us have already spoken, but the more they have to hear it ... who knows?

- If the enhanced cabin furnishings (loungers) are removed from the applicable balcony & suite categories, then there should be a price drop. Why pay the additional cost for an SV over a regular balcony when you can't fully utilize that balcony? Never mind the insane prices of suites!

IF there is a legitimate concern about "safety," then include a more detailed waiver in the contract that we all agree to. Something along the lines of the guest being fully responsible for any damage or injuries related to specific lounger use.

IF they try to pin the safety issue on misuse by kids or teens, then Celebrity "could" remove loungers from cabins with children booked. Not fair, but better than wholesale removal of loungers from all of us.

IF loungers are being removed on Celebrity, then explain in detail why the sister lines are unaffected. 

IF the reason is in fact, passenger misbehavior, then Celebrity should come right out and say it! What department made this decision? Was it due to a passenger complaint? The crew have seen it all, so I would doubt that. 

I also emphasized that amorous encounters could happen anywhere at any time ... nothing to do with loungers. DUH!! I also suggested that such behavior "could" have been related to a specialty charter and not a basic sailing.

Finally, keep on threatening to cancel future cruises if loungers will not be provided. IMHO, this decision is so idiotic, it just might be overturned. Nothing to lose by trying!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, AC Stew said:

Suggestions for your emails and/or Customer Service phone calls. These were points that I emphasized: It's all patently obvious, and many of us have already spoken, but the more they have to hear it ... who knows?

- If the enhanced cabin furnishings (loungers) are removed from the applicable balcony & suite categories, then there should be a price drop. Why pay the additional cost for an SV over a regular balcony when you can't fully utilize that balcony? Never mind the insane prices of suites!

IF there is a legitimate concern about "safety," then include a more detailed waiver in the contract that we all agree to. Something along the lines of the guest being fully responsible for any damage or injuries related to specific lounger use.

IF they try to pin the safety issue on misuse by kids or teens, then Celebrity "could" remove loungers from cabins with children booked. Not fair, but better than wholesale removal of loungers from all of us.

IF loungers are being removed on Celebrity, then explain in detail why the sister lines are unaffected. 

IF the reason is in fact, passenger misbehavior, then Celebrity should come right out and say it! What department made this decision? Was it due to a passenger complaint? The crew have seen it all, so I would doubt that. 

I also emphasized that amorous encounters could happen anywhere at any time ... nothing to do with loungers. DUH!! I also suggested that such behavior "could" have been related to a specialty charter and not a basic sailing.

Finally, keep on threatening to cancel future cruises if loungers will not be provided. IMHO, this decision is so idiotic, it just might be overturned. Nothing to lose by trying!

A poster in another thread on this topic, some time ago, had the opinion the loungers and foot stools all went over to the 'new' E class ships....a rob Peter to pay Paul scenario. 

Posted (edited)

I am a “why” person, so for me trying to understand things is very important.  Rather than constantly being inconsistent, why not just spell it out and be truthful?  Is that too much to ask for by those of us who are trying to understand this situation?  As customers paying their hard-earned money, transparency is very important.  Why are we governed by those who continually cause issues leading to the exclusion of items that cruisers love and want to have because this has been the norm, or is there something else driving the removal of loungers from balconies then just safety?  I feel very sorry for those crew members who have to listen to passengers tying to understand why they cannot have loungers for their balconies.  That is why I have chosen not to book sunset suites; the loungers were a very important part of my cruise experience!

Edited by Lastdance
The only constant is change...
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I asked the Retreat concierge for a lounger and was told I would get it. When it did not turn up by the next evening I put in a request through the QR code in the daily planer. 2 loungers showed up the following day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, OceanCruise said:

I asked the Retreat concierge for a lounger and was told I would get it. When it did not turn up by the next evening I put in a request through the QR code in the daily planer. 2 loungers showed up the following day.

What ship?

2 hours ago, OceanCruise said:

Right, they are not gone or banned.  On both Reflection and Connie FB pages, a regular cruiser stated the same for her cruise in March and again in May.  On one loungers were already there and on the other she requested two and they were delivered after she returned to her suite.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Indyopie said:

This is extremely disappointing to see as we just booked an SV cabin on the Apex for 2026 a few days ago fully expecting to have loungers available.  This was to be our first X cruise since our honeymoon in 1998.... maybe we won't be trying X again after all. Good thing we have a refundable deposit as there is NO WAY we are keeping a large aft balcony without loungers! Will definitely be watching for updates.

I was on Apex at the beginning of March in an SV and the balcony had two loungers, two chairs and a table. I certainly would have raised the issue had there not been loungers, as that is part of the experience with these particular cabins.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Liao said:

Right, they are not gone or banned.  On both Reflection and Connie FB pages, a regular cruiser stated the same for her cruise in March and again in May.  On one loungers were already there and on the other she requested two and they were delivered after she returned to her suite.

Unfortunately, they are missing for others - Ascent for one.  There is no clear policy, but definitely a way to proceed up the chain.  Hopefully, for those of us who frequent Celebrity, this issue will become moot.  Yes, loungers are alive and well, but on some ships they are in hiding🤷‍♀️.  Hopefully, more positive information will be forthcoming on the return of loungers.🥰

I welcome being told that the individual that called me was wrong about loungers, or misspoke; maybe just a communication error that will rectify itself!

~Happy cruising!

Edited by Lastdance

How deplorable! If this is the way a  major Cruise Line operates, why cruise with them? Where will it stop?

Some people get them, some don't, ask and you may get them, etc.

Is this the way to do business? 

Celebrity is sure causing a lot of adverse PR.

SMH

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, asctony said:

How deplorable! If this is the way a  major Cruise Line operates, why cruise with them? Where will it stop?

Some people get them, some don't, ask and you may get them, etc.

Is this the way to do business? 

Celebrity is sure causing a lot of adverse PR.

SMH

This definitely brings the phrase “consistently inconsistent” to a new level….not only among ships but even individual staff members on the same ship. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Definitas said:

People can notify Celebrity of their thoughts to executiveoffice@celebrity.com 

Thank you. Hopefully the more people email the more they realise what’s important. I’d have thought having the loungers also prevents some chair hog scenarios! 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, sasset said:

What ship?

The Beyond. The butler said he has been asking management to keep loungers on balconies as a lot of time is spent moving them back and forth