Unusual butler/housekeeper request

My wife has neck issues and regularly uses a pad that she heats up in the microwave. My wife was wondering if she could ask the staff to do this for her (for an extra tip, of course). Has anyone made a similar request ?  We’re staying in a Sky Suite. 

3 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

There is no microwave available, either to guests or to the crew to do this.

Thanks for the response but could you elaborate? Have you made such a request?

Agree that Special Needs is the place to start.

If there is a microwave (don't think I've ever seen one in a Celebrity ship?), it's not going to be close by. I would take either a heating pad or those first aid heat pads that activate when peeled. 

6 hours ago, FolsomMike said:

Thanks for the response but could you elaborate? Have you made such a request?

Many passengers have reported that there are no microwaves on board.  

i’m silhouette last week I saw a mother ask if her baby’s food could be microwaved and she was told that there was no way to do that.

I suggest you look for an alternative.

While there may not be any public microwaves available I know that in the M-Class Penthouse Suites there is a Microwave in the Butler's Pantry. 

An alternative may be something the nurses would put together for my daughter during her transplant.    They would take a hand towel fold over multiple times inside a Plastic Ziplock -  They would then pull boiling water over the towel and then wrap the Ziplock with another towel.   It held the heat for quite some time.

How about the heat packs you buy?  When you open the package oxygen hits it, it reacts and warms.  I use them for my back.  They stay warm for up to 12 hours,  They have adhesive so they stay in place.

• Like 4

We always ask for a kettle to make tea on board and (whilst they are not generally available) our butlers have always managed to get us one. Perhaps you could take an old fashioned hot water bottle on board and fill as needed…If you request a kettle via special needs for this purpose it shouldn’t be a problem.

• Like 2

I will add that if you go with the hot water bottle, make sure it doesn't smell. I got one over twenty years ago and it still smells like rubber/plastic.

I do hope you find a good solution and have a great trip.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

I would contact special needs department? Sorry on a ship and don’t  have the info handy.

Do you live in Folsom? We’re in EDH!

2 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

I would contact special needs department? Sorry on a ship and don’t  have the info handy.

Do you live in Folsom? We’re in EDH!

We’re in EDH now, too. 🙂

41 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

I will add that if you go with the hot water bottle,

I was thinking the same thing.  Either a heating pad or a hot water bottle.  It's "old school", but sometimes old school is what it takes.  

There is also some ointment called Icy Hot - or maybe something similar if you are not in the US.  It is a menthol cream that heats up when you use it.  THis is the same brand that makes the patches someone else referred to in an earlier post.  The patches are nice since they have no scent.  You can see the whole range of products here -   Our Products | Icy Hot® Pain Relief Products

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeMary4449 said:

@FolsomMike and @Water_Baby_:  It is our understanding that electric heating pads are NOT allowed to be brought onboard any Celebrity ship and will be confiscated on embarkation day but can be retrieved on disembarkation day.

I was curious about this so looked up the policy.

Here's what it says:

"Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted onboard. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense, and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed. "

It doesn't expressly state heating pads. My experience has been that my heating pad doesn't get nearly as hot as my curling iron so I suppose one could make an argument that they are much less dangerous than a curling iron. But it would probably make sense to call Celebrity (or better yet, write so you have an answer that you can refer to) to confirm.

2 hours ago, MikeMary4449 said:

@FolsomMike and @Water_Baby_:  It is our understanding that electric heating pads are NOT allowed to be brought onboard any Celebrity ship and will be confiscated on embarkation day but can be retrieved on disembarkation day.

1 hour ago, Water_Baby_ said:

It doesn't expressly state heating pads. My experience has been that my heating pad doesn't get nearly as hot as my curling iron so I suppose one could make an argument that they are much less dangerous than a curling iron.

Heating pads I get from the VA are trigger activated.  They only work when you are pressing the trigger (handle).  Once pressure on the trigger is released the hot pad shuts down.

20 hours ago, Water_Baby_ said:

I was curious about this so looked up the policy.

Here's what it says:

"Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted onboard. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense, and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed. "

It doesn't expressly state heating pads. My experience has been that my heating pad doesn't get nearly as hot as my curling iron so I suppose one could make an argument that they are much less dangerous than a curling iron. But it would probably make sense to call Celebrity (or better yet, write so you have an answer that you can refer to) to confirm.

@Water_Baby_:  Sorry if we gave bad info, but when we phoned Celebrity a few years ago, we were expressly told heating pads were not allowed.  As an alternative, we now bring our own hot water bottle.

1 hour ago, MikeMary4449 said:

@Water_Baby_:  Sorry if we gave bad info, but when we phoned Celebrity a few years ago, we were expressly told heating pads were not allowed.  As an alternative, we now bring our own hot water bottle.

It may be correct, it may not 🤷‍♀️ Some of these things seem to change depending on who you talk to. That's also not just a Celebrity problem. 

If I was to bring one, I'd probably chat with someone online so I got a written response, then bring a heating pad that I wouldn't cry over if it wound up in the naughty room. 

• Like 1

I wish there was a medical use microwave for folk and baby formula! I do a daily eye mask and microwave it at home. I can soak in hot water although not as efficient. On board I've been able to get a kettle in sky suite and this time in concierge I contacted special needs ahead of time and they put me down for a kettle... said if one wasn't available they were marking down I could get multiple deliveries of hot water daily at no charge... when I've done that in the past no matter what I say I also end up getting 2 mugs and all the tea fixings :-).