Reserve Dining

This will be our first time sailing with reserved dining. Last time we were in a full suite this was not a thing, been a while. We will be on the Grand this October, would informed on a different post no assigned seating/time just arrive when we want dinner. Question does anybody know which dining room is used or is it in a sectioned off part of one of them? Also we like sitting just the two of us any idea if this is possible? Yes I know the cruise lines idea of a table for two is four inch separation 🙂.

Thanks

It is a sectioned off part of one of the mains with a separate entrance ( red rope separation with a young lady at the podium with your name. You come anytime the dining room is open ( usually between 5-9. The head waiter will prepare one special appetizer or dessert and one extra main at each dinner. You can get a table for two with no problem, after the first night they will know. The wait staff is the best on the ship. 

• Like 3

It is a sectioned off section of one of the main dining rooms. Last time I was on the Caribbean (a sister ship to the Grand), it was on the starboard side of the midship dining room on the Fiesta Deck. There are several tables for two - three of them are next to each other with the four-inch separation. Depending on availability, they may also give you a table for four for just the two of you.

• Like 1

On the Emerald last month, it was deck 6 Di Vinci.

They also had lunch opened for reserve only no one else.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gvre said:

On the Emerald last month, it was deck 6 Di Vinci.

They also had lunch opened for reserve only no one else.

Lunch’s for others is in a different MDR

Lunch is only available on Sea Days (noon to 1:30).

Host/Hostess will see your name on an iPad as you approach the door.

Confirming Deck 6/Starboard side of MDR.

There are tables for two scattered around the designate dining area.  3 by windows and a few more as you enter on your right (overflow area).  

No reservations necessary.  Dependent on voyage itinerary.  In Asia, area did not fill up until 6 or later.  Hawaii/New England/Mexico had a line before the doors opened at 4:45.  Don't know European dining habits.  Once tables are filled, expect a 90 minute turn around time for next "group".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Hawaii/New England/Mexico had a line before the doors opened at 4:45.  Don't know European dining habits.  Once tables are filled, expect a 90 minute turn around time for next "group".

I've done reserve class and club class before that around 8 times. Each time there has been zero wait to be seated. Zero.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

I've done reserve class and club class before that around 8 times. Each time there has been zero wait to be seated. Zero.

Yes we have never waited more than 5 minutes but we eat around 7:30

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

I was on one cruise with a friend and we were in line at 4:45 every evening (at least 4 couples were in line before the door opened).  Then I was solo following that cruise.  Maybe my experience was different because I wanted that same table in the corner with my same wait staff, but at 6 PM.  

Once, I was told to "go back to my cabin" and they would call me when "MY" table was available.  I would re-enter the dining room sometime between 6:15 and 6:30.  

On another cruise, we decided to have a later dinner (after 6).  We entered and were told there would be a wait.  I told the hostess that I would go down to Vines.  About 15 minutes later, I was starting my walk back up when the hostess came running down the stairs to fetch us.   

I do realize that there is "rarely" a wait to be seated.  I guess my "wait" is because I wanted my same wait team.

I have also been seated (without a wait) at a different table and my "wait team" came by to make sure I was "taken care of".  All of the waiters in Reserve Collection work together and are fantastic.  I just have my quirks.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I was on one cruise with a friend and we were in line at 4:45 every evening (at least 4 couples were in line before the door opened).  Then I was solo following that cruise.  Maybe my experience was different because I wanted that same table in the corner with my same wait staff, but at 6 PM.  

Once, I was told to "go back to my cabin" and they would call me when "MY" table was available.  I would re-enter the dining room sometime between 6:15 and 6:30.  

On another cruise, we decided to have a later dinner (after 6).  We entered and were told there would be a wait.  I told the hostess that I would go down to Vines.  About 15 minutes later, I was starting my walk back up when the hostess came running down the stairs to fetch us.   

I do realize that there is "rarely" a wait to be seated.  I guess my "wait" is because I wanted my same wait team.

I have also been seated (without a wait) at a different table and my "wait team" came by to make sure I was "taken care of".  All of the waiters in Reserve Collection work together and are fantastic.  I just have my quirks.

Maybe you outta point some of that out the next time you say there's a 90 minute wait at Reserve Collection DR.  People reading up on the RC dining experience will take that to mean a long wait is typical. No wait whatsoever is what's typical.

What's also typical is that you get sat in the same section each time anyway, almost always ending up with the same wait staff and dining amongst the same passengers -- mixed around at different tables in the same section each night.

But you're right about that 2-top corner table by the window. It's coveted for sure.

• Like 3

You are correct.  But I have seen people having to wait for a few minutes...not just walk in and be seated.  

I have actually seen a family of 4 seated on a very small round table in the overflow section.  Then transferred to a larger when it opened up.  They were on their appetizers.  

In theory, there is no wait (or very little wait).  It is still better than the MDR.  Hopefully, when traditional dining begins again in September, everyone will be able to just walk to "their" tables.

• Like 1

We’re currently on the Grand and have nothing but good things to say about the Reserve Collection Dining Room, which is in the Da Vinci Dining Room on deck 6 on the starboard side. So far we have been on the ship for about 20 days and have never sat close to anyone. But then we come at 5 pm and pretty much get seated at our favorite table with the same servers every night. 

• Like 3

When we travel as a four, we often have to wait for a table at dinner - sometimes up to 20 minutes. We wait in the nearest bar so it’s not too inconvenient 😃.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

When we travel as a four, we often have to wait for a table at dinner - sometimes up to 20 minutes. We wait in the nearest bar so it’s not too inconvenient 😃.

We always travel as either a 2 or 3 person group and have never experienced a wait but we don’t insist on the exact same table and usually eat around 8:00. On one cruise the head manager tried to hurry our meal and we had to tell the assistant manager to keep him away from us. Guess who got the tip at the end of the cruise

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, memoak said:

We always travel as either a 2 or 3 person group and have never experienced a wait but we don’t insist on the exact same table and usually eat around 8:00. On one cruise the head manager tried to hurry our meal and we had to tell the assistant manager to keep him away from us. Guess who got the tip at the end of the cruise

We’re always happy to sit anywhere as we like to meet all the staff. We usually eat at 7.00. We’ve sometimes been ‘encouraged’ to hurry!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lady Meer said:

We’re always happy to sit anywhere as we like to meet all the staff. We usually eat at 7.00. We’ve sometimes been ‘encouraged’ to hurry!!

This was the first time we were seated given a menu and been asked for our order all within 3 minutes. I will guarantee you we pushed back and will continue to do so. We generally only have 3 courses including dessert and are always finished by 9:00 which is when the room closes. I did not apprecythrm changing all the tablecloths and silver to prepare for breakfast 2 full hour before closing. They need to appreciate that different people eat at different times

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, memoak said:

This was the first time we were seated given a menu and been asked for our order all within 3 minutes. I will guarantee you we pushed back and will continue to do so. 

I wish they would observe and act upon the "Dining Pace" preference you can set in the app preferences so each table could have their preferred pacing. Three minutes from seating to order taken sounds great to me!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cr01s13r3 said:

I wish they would observe and act upon the "Dining Pace" preference you can set in the app preferences so each table could have their preferred pacing. Three minutes from seating to order taken sounds great to me!

In Reserve Dining, they probably won't pay any attention to the preference in the app. However, they will pay attention if you tell the dining room manager what you want, and they will remember it the next night.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

In Reserve Dining, they probably won't pay any attention to the preference in the app. However, they will pay attention if you tell the dining room manager what you want, and they will remember it the next night.

They sure did. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We’re currently on the Grand and have nothing but good things to say about the Reserve Collection Dining Room, which is in the Da Vinci Dining Room on deck 6 on the starboard side. So far we have been on the ship for about 20 days and have never sat close to anyone. But then we come at 5 pm and pretty much get seated at our favorite table with the same servers every night. 

Thanks we are early diners. We tend to skip lunch and eat early. We also tend to skip dessert go to the show then get dessert in the buffet after.

• Like 1

When the dining room manager on Majestic was trying to hurry his staff due to being busy and having people who were in a rush to get to shows, we assured him that we were in no rush and not to worry about us. He learned that for us, that was our standard mode, and to not press our staff. It was lovely. We enjoy the relax and enjoy mode, just like I enjoy the double pour of wine in a balloon glass so that I don't have to order and wait later...it's all about relax and enjoy 😄

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Thanks we are early diners. We tend to skip lunch and eat early. We also tend to skip dessert go to the show then get dessert in the buffet after.

FWIW the 2 of us usually show up at 5 pm and are done, to include dessert, a little before 6 pm. But then, we also have the same servers every night. We then head to the show at 7 pm to get our favorite seats for the 7:30 pm early show. However, it really starts filling up around 7:15 pm and by 7:25 pm there aren’t too many seats left.

• Like 2