Seabourn is pushing group travel and charters

I received an email from Seabourn today pushing the idea of group travel (with some incentives) and charter travel on Seabourn ships.  I find this a bit disheartening, while realizing that Seabourn is trying to sell their suites and will do most anything to accomplish that.  I've never enjoyed seeing large groups traveling together onboard Seabourn ships and would not like to see our plans changed due to a ship being chartered.  It's a new world at there and I assume there will be more changes to come.  

• Like 7

We'll see what happens, it's a new promotion but they've done charters and groups for a long time.  They are in tough competition with Atlas, Scenic, RC, Four Seasons, Silversea, Seadream, etc. for these types of events.  But I do agree a group of 50 or 100 sales people on an incentive cruise changes the dynamic.  All the more reason to stay away from 7 day cruises, those folks need to get back to work after a week.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, stan01 said:

We'll see what happens, it's a new promotion but they've done charters and groups for a long time.  They are in tough competition with Atlas, Scenic, RC, Four Seasons, Silversea, Seadream, etc. for these types of events.  But I do agree a group of 50 or 100 sales people on an incentive cruise changes the dynamic.  All the more reason to stay away from 7 day cruises, those folks need to get back to work after a week.

Right now, It is getting more difficult to find itineraries that are longer than 7 days.  We're sailing for 28 days this summer--but the first 14 days were divided into two 7 day cruises some times ago.  I think the second half is still a 14 day cruise, but who knows.  They will divide it if they can.  

Many years ago, on the wonderful Pride and our 3rd Seabourn cruise there was, for one segment as almost always we are on for around 3 or so weeks with a few 7 and 14 day exceptions,  a "golf group" for part of our cruise.  Now I used to be really into golf - thankfully reformed now - but these folks hijacked a lot of the cruise.  Arriving and departure times changed to accommodate tee times. Kept to themselves.  So no interest in sailing with a group. So many other choices these days... have been on quite a few really good other lines the last 2 years that SEABOURN is no longer my first choice as it was for our first 15 cruises. Sad.. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SLSD said:

I received an email from Seabourn today pushing the idea of group travel (with some incentives) and charter travel on Seabourn ships.

I'm curious, was the email from Seabourn or from another travel site you have signed up to receive offers? Living in Australia we for example have known of APT for many years, not that I use them, but I as yet haven't received anything like this from them or Seabourn even since the announced affiliation. 

I received the email today as well.  It was disappointing  to say the least.  We had some acquaintances that bought a “condo“ back in the day on the old “ world ship”.  They told us times got a bit challenging financially for the world and they received board approval to host groups when space permitted and not all owners were on board. They told us a horror story ( their words) about a car company that hosted an incentive sales event on the ship for a week and said it was a nightmare.  They said everyone was loud, drunk. And acted like they owned the place.  They said it was just awful.  They were looking to sell their condo.  I don’t know what happened but this is a huge turn off for me!  I’ll be looking elsewhere if this comes to fruition.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

I'm curious, was the email from Seabourn or from another travel site you have signed up to receive offers? Living in Australia we for example have known of APT for many years, not that I use them, but I as yet haven't received anything like this from them or Seabourn even since the announced affiliation. 

SLSD clearly says "I received an email from Seabourn today". I also received the e-mail and it was direct from Seabourn. The wording is reproduced below:

"Dear XXX,
 At Seabourn, we are dedicated to crafting unforgettable, ultra-luxury, personalised experiences that redefine the very essence of travel. As a valued member of our Seabourn family, we are excited to introduce you to Seabourn Celebrations & Charters, our latest innovation designed to elevate your group travel at sea. Available on sailings beginning in fall 2025.*

Your milestone moments deserve celebrations as unique and extraordinary as the guest list. Imagine setting sail on an ultra-luxury cruise or expedition alongside your closest friends, beloved family members, or esteemed colleagues. Whether you are planning a multigenerational family reunion, a trip to reward your employees, or simply a gathering of kindred spirits, Seabourn Celebrations & Charters will transform your milestone celebrations into unforgettable memories. Immersed in the private, yacht-like atmosphere of Seabourn’s intimate ships, your guests are pampered with the intuitive, personalised service provided by a team passionate about exceeding guest expectations.

Benefits of Group Bookings with Seabourn:
 • Earn up to $500USD shipboard credit per suite to enrich your onboard experience.
 • Earn Tour Conductor Credits: When you book 9 full-fare guests, the 10th guest sails at a reduced fare. If you book a sailing in our Accelerated Tier, select voyages provide for you to book 7 full-fare guests with the 8th guest sailing at a reduced fare.*
 • Virtually everything is included in one value-packed fare: Award-winning fine dining that rivals the best restaurants anywhere, premium spirits and fine wines, Wi-Fi, taxes, fees, and port expenses.
 • Upon request, your group can receive a complimentary cocktail party which includes a visit from a Seabourn officer to welcome your group to your home away from home.
 • Complimentary special event inclusions such as private receptions, meeting space, audio/visual equipment, and more.

Advantages of Chartering with Seabourn:
 • Complete Exclusivity: Chartering a Seabourn ship grants you and your group the ultimate privilege of privacy and ultra-luxury, with the entire vessel reserved exclusively for your enjoyment.
 • Customised Itineraries: Craft a bespoke itinerary tailored to your group's preferences, unlocking the treasures of hidden gems and iconic destinations at your leisure.
 • Tailored Onboard Experience: Indulge in world-class dining, entertainment, and personalised, warm service, all curated to fulfill the unique desires and needs of your group."

I expect the tie up with APT has meant that Seabourn cannot market these in Australia - so you were not included. BUT, I may be wrong as the recent "survey" was never sent to me and I never now receive an invitation to comment post cruise.

I agree with the views already expressed and have also experienced drunken groups dominating the cruise, staff, pool and bars, and also receiving preferential treatment - ruining the regular cruisers experience. Not what I expect from a Seabourn cruise.  Complain, Complain, Complain, otherwise the change in direction will become permanent.

Clearly competition is tight, Seabourn must be having difficulty in filling ships, and as so often happens, changes are made at the cost of the core customers.  The only solution if it happens again will be, sadly, to say "au revoir Seabourn"

• Like 1

@caviarforme thank you for posting the email. I was only interested in clarifying who the email was from whether Seabourn, a charter company or a tourism consortium. 

I have also experienced a drunken group but I don't think a partial charter but a consortium travel agency which was part of why I asked the question.

The biggest issue will be that more cruises will be cancelled as Seabourn will actively try to sell the full cruise to someone. Obviously good money for them but not for their customers who have already booked the cruise plus flights, hotels and transfers and the cruise companies walk away from these costs.

5 hours ago, frantic36 said:

julie,

the email came from Seabourn

Nancy

Just now, nancygp said:

julie,

the email came from Seabourn

Nancy

Thanks Nancy. I am learning all the time. Only 5 more days till my first expedition cruise and we are having a few frustrating learning experiences. I won't post the resolution until we board the ship because I do think it is best to see how problems are resolved.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, frantic36 said:

It was from Seabourn.  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ScotBrit17 said:

The biggest issue will be that more cruises will be cancelled as Seabourn will actively try to sell the full cruise to someone. Obviously good money for them but not for their customers who have already booked the cruise plus flights, hotels and transfers and the cruise companies walk away from these costs.

This is one thing that concerns me.  It has not happened to us, but I know it has happened to others.  I had never received an email like this one we received from Seabourn yesterday.  I clicked on the link about charters--and there as all kinds of marketing language.  This is a big push by Seabourn both for group travel (with incentives) and charters.  We are so looking forward to our 28 days on Sojourn this summer.  We'll have to analyze where to cruise going forward after that.  

• Thanks 1

Yet again I am bewildered by Seabourn marketing strategies in conjoining these messages to existing customers. There’s group travel and there’s corporate travel.

Seabourn has always played a game with group travel discounts. We have done many trips with friends travelling as 6, 8, 10 or 12. Each time we have broached the question about a group booking discount which was supposed to be 5% the response has been: not available on this cruise; how many do you have - you’ll need two/four more.

Agree large groups change the ship dynamic. We have inadvertently cruised on charters and had a dreadful time. Similarly we don’t like cruising with a predominant nationality as the same thing happens - the ship is hijacked. We have just come off a 27 day - first 14 days 70% x nationality. Did not hear a please or thank you until turn around day, everything was push and shove. B2Bs were completely different. The first purgatory, the second pleasant.

Back on Seabourn in a few days. Fingers crossed for a nice community of travellers.

• Like 1

The letter from Seabourn regarding large groups and charters really alarmed us.  Until now I was concerned about a consolidator who books large groups on Seabourn for appealing rates.These groups usually stand our because of their behavior.

My concern is we have booked multiple back to back cruises (for several months)  and if a group decides to charter in the midst of the back to backs--- what happens to us?

Is Seabourn in survival mode?

This letter really upset us because Seabourn is our #1 cruise line-- and until now never thought of looking elsewhere.

• Like 4

Every cruise line encourages group bookings, as do hotels, resorts, museums and zoos, but this looks like an email that should have been sent to travel agents instead of individuals.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, whogo said:

Every cruise line encourages group bookings, as do hotels, resorts, museums and zoos, but this looks like an email that should have been sent to travel agents instead of individuals.

Agree on both points!

Nancy

• Like 1

I think it is reasonable to send it to all customers.  First, some customers could be planning a family reunion or event.  Second, it does serve as a reminder to everyone else that groups and charters do happen on every cruise line.  Better to know that it could happen than to be completely surprised if it does happen.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, BasandSyb said:

Yet again I am bewildered by Seabourn marketing strategies in conjoining these messages to existing customers. There’s group travel and there’s corporate travel.

Seabourn has always played a game with group travel discounts. We have done many trips with friends travelling as 6, 8, 10 or 12. Each time we have broached the question about a group booking discount which was supposed to be 5% the response has been: not available on this cruise; how many do you have - you’ll need two/four more.

Agree large groups change the ship dynamic. We have inadvertently cruised on charters and had a dreadful time. Similarly we don’t like cruising with a predominant nationality as the same thing happens - the ship is hijacked. We have just come off a 27 day - first 14 days 70% x nationality. Did not hear a please or thank you until turn around day, everything was push and shove. B2Bs were completely different. The first purgatory, the second pleasant.

Back on Seabourn in a few days. Fingers crossed for a nice community of travellers.

I hope you do have a good community of travelers and that makes or breaks a cruise for many of us.  I think we've sailed with you--but did not meet you--some years ago from Kobe to Vancouver.  The great thing about that cruise was that it was 20+ days and all the same people as there was no way to slice and dice it into 7 day itineraries.  I know Mr. SLSD and I will have a great time this summer because we will make it a good time for us--but I don't look forward to the constant changing of passengers.  Hopefully there will not be groups!  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, caviarforme said:

• Earn Tour Conductor Credits: When you book 9 full-fare guests, the 10th guest sails at a reduced fare. If you book a sailing in our Accelerated Tier, select voyages provide for you to book 7 full-fare guests with the 8th guest sailing at a reduced fare.*

I suppose everything's negotiable and SB can be, shall we say, flexible on what exactly is a "full fare," but at face value this isn't a very attractive offer. A "reduced fare" on 1 of 10 fares is barely a few percent off the whole booking. Even if the 10th guest is reduced 50% that's only 5% off the whole - and if the 10th was half-off or more they surely would've promoted that. Also note that in the fine print it specifies the maximum Tour Conductor Credit is 8 (the TCC's suite counts as pax 9 & 10), which means there's no additional benefit/discount for booking groups larger than 10.

Frankly, I'm not too concerned about this promotion. The offer is practically no discount, especially for groups larger than 10, and I don't think a group of 10 will materially change the ambiance of a 350-550 pax ship. It would be entirely different if this were a meaningful offer to groups 30, 50 or, heaven forbid 100.

11 hours ago, caviarforme said:

Award-winning fine dining that rivals the best restaurants anywhere...

Also, too, I mean, come on. The best restaurants anywhere? This transcends the world of flowery marketing writing into just flat out lying.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Robisan said:

Also, too, I mean, come on. The best restaurants anywhere? This transcends the world of flowery marketing writing into just flat out lying.

I’d like to test that one under the Australian Consumer Law. Perhaps that’s why we didn’t receive it “down under”. 😇

• Haha 1

We received the email from Seabourn not a 3rd party. Was totally turned off by it, just as much as friends now on Venture got the helpful suggestion to contribute to the Crew Fund, as they and we always do.  

I guess not the Seabourn you knew so much for Natyaly undoing the past mistakes.  Now she can have her own.

I fail to understand why management wants to take what was the best cruise line down to be 6 or 7th in a crowded market.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 2SailingNomads said:

I fail to understand why management wants to take what was the best cruise line down to be 6 or 7th in a crowded market.

It is pretty obvious - to increase profits.  Could be self-defeating.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

This is another dopey decision made by the Marketing Dept at Seabourn. They apparently have no idea how to connect subtly and effectively with their client base, differentiated as it is.

There are no excuses for this sloppiness. Whatever happened to treating customers the way they expect to be treated? Maybe Seabourn doesn’t really know who their customers are and/or they don”t have a professional marketing group.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham
  • Like 3