Seabourn is pushing group travel and charters

3 hours ago, markham said:

Maybe Seabourn doesn’t really know who their customers are and/or they don”t have a professional marketing group.

I think the state of the website answered the latter part of that statement years ago. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, lincslady said:

It is pretty obvious - to increase profits.  Could be self-defeating.

Ya think? For years we only sailed on Seabourn no reason to go anywhere else.  Then SB changes to save $$.  Last 3 years Scenic, Regent, Ponant,  and last cruise Explora.  All just as good or better.  We have 40+ days booked on Seabourn and also 40+ on Regent. People can object to included excursions on Regent but I will pay.more and not take those for a better experience which depending what one prioritize are different on each line.  IMO Regent has better restaurants and bars. Walking track and pickleball court which lately has become very important to me, instead SB has the Retreat...At an upcharge.   YMMV

• Like 4

On 5/24/2024 at 11:13 PM, 2SailingNomads said:

Ya think? For years we only sailed on Seabourn no reason to go anywhere else.  Then SB changes to save $$.  Last 3 years Scenic, Regent, Ponant,  and last cruise Explora.  All just as good or better.  We have 40+ days booked on Seabourn and also 40+ on Regent. People can object to included excursions on Regent but I will pay.more and not take those for a better experience which depending what one prioritize are different on each line.  IMO Regent has better restaurants and bars. Walking track and pickleball court which lately has become very important to me, instead SB has the Retreat...At an upcharge.   YMMV

I'm listening

I really don't want the luxury cruise lines to go out of business.  If they can stay afloat by booking groups - well, not ideal (prefer they didn't), but so be it.

Part of the problem IMO is too.many ships in this space.  Look at the new ships SS and Regent have added over the last 3-6 or so years.  Explora Journeys has 1 sailing, another under construction and 4 more planned.  Regent announced a new build, and Crystal now promises new ships.  Lots of new expedition ships already out competing in the luxury market.  You also have the smaller Scenic - ocean Scenic as they have a large river presence which we have a couple booked for later in the year - Atlas, Ritz Carlton, and in the future 4 Seasons brands.  

Hubby and I have booked our first Seabourn cruise for next June, I really can't see us making any further bookings if this new marketing ploy is put into place. It's bad enough if I arrive at a restaurant and see a huge table reserved for a group booking. In most situations I've found that group bookings equal noise - simple.

As to marketing - We recently moved.  At our new address we get Seabourn mail at least once a week.  We did not at the old address.  Anybody know how to opt out of printed mail?

I think there is a way to opt out if you log in.  We get snail mail from Seabourn and Regent every other day but we have sailed on them..  never sailed on Atlas but some how we get snail mail from them 4 times a week and one of us gets daily emails from them.  Plus I get emails from Scenic which we have sailed with and have 2 river cruises booked every single day.  Ponant is not bad and I want to go back on Le Commandant but Vantage that I never heard if emails me almost every day.

Every hospitality venue on earth wants to book groups. They consume and pay extra for everything that is provided above the normal user. Meeting rooms, stand alone buffets, better wine.  Big profit for the location 

the issue arises when the size of the venue doesn't allow the "other" users space to avoid all the groups togetherness. Big hotels - easy. Big ships - easy. Smaller ships - not easy.   There is really no place to hide from the noise of a boisterous group. 

No easy solution for the unaligned everyday pax. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skybluewaters said:

Is there anything new here?  Seems as though this was all mentioned previously.

Yes, I know it was mentioned before.  I posted the link because it was just written yesterday and I thought it had a lot more detail to it.  Sorry I bothered.

Guess we'll be looking elsewhere after fall 2025

Guess we all want to hear from someone who needs to announce they are checking out.

We don't care...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, doowopbob said:

Are you afraid that Seabourn will be overrun with large groups?

My suspicion is that this enhanced program for travel advisors is of no more interest or value to them than an enhanced airline mileage program is to me.

• Like 3

On 6/11/2024 at 11:33 AM, whogo said:

Are you afraid that Seabourn will be overrun with large groups?

My suspicion is that this enhanced program for travel advisors is of no more interest or value to them than an enhanced airline mileage program is to me.

I agree.  This all seems like much ado about nothing to me.  Or some people just look for a reason to grouse.

• Like 4

On 5/31/2024 at 8:45 PM, 2SailingNomads said:

Ponant is not bad and I want to go back on Le Commandant but Vantage that I never heard if emails me almost every day.

I doubt many on here have ever booked Vantage,  Check the "other cruise lines" category on here for some fun reading.