Cabin cough

If this was something that bothered the OP all along, I really wonder why he didn't mitigate his concerns and arranged for a private transfer rather than taking the bus with all these sick people.

I did exactly that in Seattle last year. Had a prepaid bus transfer to the airport but cancelled that and then took a cab.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Those big busses scare me🫁, so I do not ride them.  The kids at school keep me full of stuff, not to mention make sure I get a dose of whatever is going around at the moment. I also live in a “high desert,” one of the worst culprits for sinuses, so I use an irrigator by NeilMed.

As we all age, our immune systems change, so washing hands and covering mouths is one way to help keep us well.  It is just unfortunate that many do not bother to do this on a regular basis.

immunosenescence - the gradual decrease in immune function that comes with age.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 1:53 AM, DarrenM said:

Just left celebrity constellation.

Never had a cruise with so many coughing and sneezing 

On transfer bus now and folk are coughing all over the place.

And we are on 3 hour coach trip from ravenna to Venice Airport.

What joy.

We were on the Regal Princess for 28 days in April.

I had contracted bronchitis in early March. 

Antibiotics & steroids 2 weeks before the cruise.

Still had drainage & residual cough for the 1st week of the cruise. 

(And I also take a daily Claritin for allergies).

Friend managed to catch it week 2. (his wife had it late January-early March, steroids 2x)

Luckily had brought antibiotics just in case.

DH caught it week 3.

So LOTS of decongestant & lozenges. 

Takes 4-6 weeks to truly get over all symptoms.

(MANY a COVID tests were taken just to be sure...all negative)

Guys did hang out in the room a lot & mask indoors for a few days when they developed symptoms as doc said 48-72 hrs after starting antibiotics they would no longer be contagious)

We have a friend with asthma & severe allergies & she can have a horrible bark at anytime.

We just try to stay outdoors a lot, move away from someone who is coughing a lot  if possible (hey, I get it--move away from me!), wash hands a lot & always have an assortment of cold meds! 

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

Why does anyone think he can pinpoint acquiring an illness from a specific sneeze? 🤨

My DH has reflux issues and has a consistent cough. He won't infect you, so no need for the side eye.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Why does anyone think he can pinpoint acquiring an illness from a specific sneeze? 🤨

My DH has reflux issues and has a consistent cough. He won't infect you, so no need for the side eye.

Where’s the fun in that?  That means we can’t judge, shame and top it off with a bit of virtue signaling. Boring!  I’m going back to the tipping threads.  🤪

Edited by gcornell
Added
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 5/24/2024 at 4:21 AM, chengkp75 said:

It most likely is.

It most likely is.

As Aquahound has posted, the dry AC air dries out your sinus membranes, which are your first and best line of defense against airborne pathogens, which cause respiratory illness.  Use of a simple saline nasal spray can mitigate this dryness.

For those who recommend wiping down surfaces to prevent coughing, most respiratory pathogens are airborne not picked up from contact with surfaces.

Do you recommend a particular nasal spray?

I medicate my dogs for kennel cough for when they are in close proximity to other dogs. 

We need "Cabin cough" medication for cruises. haha🤣

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, joydivision84 said:

Do you recommend a particular nasal spray?

There are lots of plain saline sprays out there, any one will do.  You're not looking for medication, simply moisture.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I was on the Connie 2 years ago for a Caribbean cruise and my allergies went berserk. Did not cough but sneezed a lot with watery reddish eyes and runny nose. That was the first that ever happened on a ship and it usually only happens in the Spring, it was winter. When the ship docked in San Juan (fortunately that was the first port), made it across the street from the dock to a CVS and purchased some Claritan and eye drops. Since then, every time I cruise I bring my proscription allergy medication and eye drops. Never needed it on other Celebrity ships.

Funny, I was on the Apex 2 weeks ago for a trans-Atlantic. When the ship docked in Cork, allergies flared up. When we left sinuses returned to normal. Been to Ireland many times and that never happened.

Edited by Banjo

8 hours ago, mtnlvr53 said:

I medicate my dogs for kennel cough for when they are in close proximity to other dogs. 

We need "Cabin cough" medication for cruises. haha🤣

I call it the "Cruise Crud" 😉

15 hours ago, zitsky said:

Yes.  Why yes he is.

Just curios.  I am a retired med tech.  First 17 years working in a major trauma center/medical school that trained future pathologist.  Then 22 years in a reference lab which we worked closely with a chief pathologist.  The pathologist was top of the lab food chain.  You would think that Pathologist worked 8 - 5 but you would be wrong.  It was a 24/7 job with accompanying stress.  But I did the job and loved the profession.

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

There are lots of plain saline sprays out there, any one will do.  You're not looking for medication, simply moisture.

Some like my DW swear that using a Neti Pot really works too.  Of course it uses a saline solution.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, fenton04 said:

Just curios.  I am a retired med tech.  First 17 years working in a major trauma center/medical school that trained future pathologist.  Then 22 years in a reference lab which we worked closely with a chief pathologist.  The pathologist was top of the lab food chain.  You would think that Pathologist worked 8 - 5 but you would be wrong.  It was a 24/7 job with accompanying stress.  But I did the job and loved the profession.

He is technically a trained surgical pathologist.  One thing I’ve learned over the years is that doctors don’t always agree on protocol.  For medicine or masking or anything.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Those big busses scare me🫁, so I do not ride them.  The kids at school keep me full of stuff, not to mention make sure I get a dose of whatever is going around at the moment. I also live in a “high desert,” one of the worst culprits for sinuses, so I use an irrigator by NeilMed.

As we all age, our immune systems change, so washing hands and covering mouths is one way to help keep us well.  It is just unfortunate that many do not bother to do this on a regular basis.

immunosenescence - the gradual decrease in immune function that comes with age.

We no longer do tours on large buses, or even mini-buses.  Lesson learned from the pandemic.  We now tend to do private excursions using companies like Tours By Locals.  Two of us and a guide (hopefully a healthy one!).  Funny thing that the sickness we encounter frequently these days is after watching our toddler grandson who goes to daycare.  Much more so than getting sick from cruises.  New grandparents Curse!

• Like 4

On 5/25/2024 at 11:05 AM, hrhdhd said:

You are right - it is certainly not a 100% thing.  But saying that, I do actually think I can pinpoint where I caught Covid on a cruise.  I had been very careful with masking (this was some time ago), avoiding sick sounding people, sanitizing, etc..  Then one day I stepped off an elevator without a mask (I was riding alone) and walked past a couple standing outside the elevator.  The woman standing there started coughing right in my face, no hand over mouth or anything.  No apologies and no consideration of what she was doing.  I was furious!  Sure enough, two days later I was sick.  I would literally bet $$ that she is the one who gave it to me.  Such an inconsiderate ...........well, I'd better keep that word in my head.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2024 at 12:32 AM, mahasamatman said:

Masks are designed to protect others. They do little to help the person wearing the mask.

N95 are designed to help the wearer and a no-brainer when in any crowds from public transport to a Broadway show.
It’s nice not getting other people’s illness.