Scam or just illegal?

pzsdd6

Am I the only one that just books the cruise on the website and goes on it without all of this nonsense? Then, once onboard, just kind of go with the flow in terms of dining availability and whatever else? And if I happen to pay for something ahead of time for which I'm entitled to credit or refund, just kind of let the process work itself out with an OBC onboard?

Seems like a lot of unnecessary hang wringing and process management and consternation over a couple of dollars.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Am I the only one that just books the cruise on the website and goes on it without all of this nonsense? Then, once onboard, just kind of go with the flow in terms of dining availability and whatever else? And if I happen to pay for something ahead of time for which I'm entitled to credit or refund, just kind of let the process work itself out with an OBC onboard?

Seems like a lot of unnecessary hang wringing and process management and consternation over a couple of dollars.

No your not the only one and I agree with what you posted. I have always book direct as you do and never had any issues. 

On 5/25/2024 at 2:20 PM, pzsdd6 said:

Unfortunately, not enough to deal with this kind of foolishness. Tying my money up for 5 months or more for something that is a simple programming fix.

Cancel your reservation and get your money back. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, pzsdd6 said:

I have not left Celebrity, in fact I have several booked with them later this year, I only came on this one because our friends invited us and got us their discount, but trust me, I won’t book another with Princess. Until such time that Carnival and Princess pull their head out and make the changes necessary to stay relevant, I’ll stick with Celebrity.

On my last cruise with Celebrity we had a cabin toilet that would not flush for 5 days on a seven day cruise. I would rather be charged for specialty dining. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Just like you we go with the flow as far as dining but do book excursions pre cruise. 

On 5/25/2024 at 1:57 PM, pzsdd6 said:

To me this is just another illegal scam run by Princess to get your money ahead of time.

It's neither a scam nor illegal. It's the rule.

Deposits aren't free money, they are liabilities to Princess.

etc., etc. ,etc.

Oh, and I'm Diamond on Carnival, Elite on Princess, etc. etc.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Outerdog said:

I feel somewhat neglected since I manage to book and take about 70 days worth of cruises on Princess during this past 12 months and have not encountered any problems with the bookings, excursions, reservations, etc. One billing error on one cruise when someone else's drink got charged to my account. That was easily corrected on board using chat.

Apparently from all of the problem M others have reported I must be missing something.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

On my last cruise with Celebrity we had a cabin toilet that would not flush for 5 days on a seven day cruise. I would rather be charged for specialty dining. 

The only 2 times we had toilet issues not resolved in 24 hours we either were offered another cabin or generous OBC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

My money would be on one of the M class ships.  Had some issues myself at one time.  Since we now only sail on E class, we’ve had absolutely no issues whatsoever. 

I just sailed on the Enchanted in May with the premier package and had no problem booking specialty dining, but the system was trying to charge me for shipping our medallions. I thought a quick call to Princess would take care of it, but I was wrong. The operator told me I had to pay for shipping and wouldn't put a supervisor on the phone, so I picked up the medallion in the port instead and they told me the customer service is outsourced to India. The ship refunded the shipping portion of my premium package in obc, $7 each person; it was no big deal.

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

My money would be on one of the M class ships.  Had some issues myself at one time.  Since we now only sail on E class, we’ve had absolutely no issues whatsoever. 

It was!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TRLD said:

I feel somewhat neglected since I manage to book and take about 70 days worth of cruises on Princess during this past 12 months and have not encountered any problems with the bookings, excursions, reservations, etc. One billing error on one cruise when someone else's drink got charged to my account. That was easily corrected on board using chat.

Apparently from all of the problem M others have reported I must be missing something.

You are the designated "Princess Satisfied Customer" they can use in their marketing.  😝

Or you just lead a charmed life,,,

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Kay S said:

You are the designated "Princess Satisfied Customer" they can use in their marketing.  😝

Or you just lead a charmed life,,,

Or I have a good understanding of how the systems work and their limitations and plan accordingly.

One can either get stopped by the easiest obstacle or they can find a way to get things accomplished in spite of any obstacles.

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 1

I have the Premier package and it shows two complimentary specialty dinners on the app. On Thursday, I made my first complimentary reservation at a specialty restaurant and was not charged.

On Friday, I made my second reservation for a different specialty restaurant (supposedly also included in the Premier package) and Princess charged it to my credit card. I immediately realized that I made the 2nd reservation on an incorrect date and cancelled the reservation. Today, I received a credit on my credit card. I don’t understand why using the same app, the 1st restaurant reservation was complimentary while the second was charged, but I am pleased with the 3 day turn around time in receiving the credit. Very confusing process.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2024 at 12:57 PM, pzsdd6 said:

if they do this to enough people, it’s an interest free loan for Princess

I really wanted to address this point. All of us who cruise happily provide "Interest Free Loans" to the cruise lines and never bat an eye. For example, on Princess, at the 90 day point we all have to pay in full. That means that you are paying in full 3 months before you receive your product and essentially giving them 90 days interest free (in my case just under $9K for my next cruise). Of course, this is not unique to cruising but can be argued for anything you pay in advance (airline tickets, non refundable pre paid hotels, etc). If you think about it all of these are interest free loans.

This is not a complaint but I am merely pointing out a simple fact. Side note, I looked at a cruise on Viking that was 15 months out. They wanted final payment within 90 days of booking (which would have been giving them a one year interest free loan and that was too much for me). I even confirmed this w/Viking before I decided against the cruise. Personally, I like to pre pay but not that far in advance.

3 hours ago, jshli said:

I have the Premier package and it shows two complimentary specialty dinners on the app. On Thursday, I made my first complimentary reservation at a specialty restaurant and was not charged.

On Friday, I made my second reservation for a different specialty restaurant (supposedly also included in the Premier package) and Princess charged it to my credit card. I immediately realized that I made the 2nd reservation on an incorrect date and cancelled the reservation. Today, I received a credit on my credit card. I don’t understand why using the same app, the 1st restaurant reservation was complimentary while the second was charged, but I am pleased with the 3 day turn around time in receiving the credit. Very confusing process.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I’m also sure that we are not the only ones this has happened to. 
Again, to all, I know this is really not that serious of a situation, but Princesses handling of things bothers me more. It’s like dealing with a narcissist, deflect, deny, and defend. It’s wrong period!  Man up and do what’s right…….fix their crap.

On 5/27/2024 at 7:05 PM, J13C85 said:

I really wanted to address this point. All of us who cruise happily provide "Interest Free Loans" to the cruise lines and never bat an eye. For example, on Princess, at the 90 day point we all have to pay in full. That means that you are paying in full 3 months before you receive your product and essentially giving them 90 days interest free (in my case just under $9K for my next cruise). Of course, this is not unique to cruising but can be argued for anything you pay in advance (airline tickets, non refundable pre paid hotels, etc). If you think about it all of these are interest free loans.

This is not a complaint but I am merely pointing out a simple fact. Side note, I looked at a cruise on Viking that was 15 months out. They wanted final payment within 90 days of booking (which would have been giving them a one year interest free loan and that was too much for me). I even confirmed this w/Viking before I decided against the cruise. Personally, I like to pre pay but not that far in advance.

Well interesting-

I did the same as you.

today I have 3 charges for $90 and 2 credits for $90 on my credit card.

And the app won’t let me in to any of my bookings.

Think it is best to wait to book on-board the ship.

On 5/25/2024 at 1:57 PM, pzsdd6 said:

I quit traveling with Carnival several years ago for many obvious reasons, extremely poor customer service being the biggest issue. Several weeks ago I was talked into booking a cruise with some friends. One of my friends started working for Carnival about a year ago and now gets employee discounts on Carnival and Princess. They all know that I won’t cruise on Carnival! ( Diamond on Carnival). So they talked me into trying Princess again. Only one other on Princess and that was back in 2006.

Booked on Enchanted Princess for 7/6, added premiere package which includes 2 specialty dinners. Long story but we were encouraged to make dining reservations ahead of time because the desirable times book up early. So we did, and lo and behold, Princess charged my credit card for the specialty dining. Should be simple to correct you would think……not so with Princess.

They tell me they can’t refund the charges because the “package” hasn’t been activated yet. They said I have to wait till the cruise starts and then go and request my refund. Am I the only one that thinks this is wrong? 
To me this is just another illegal scam run by Princess to get your money ahead of time. Think of this in larger terms, Princess books thousands of cruises like this, if they do this to enough people, it’s an interest free loan for Princess. They keep all of our money tied up for months while they sit on it, use it and collect interest on it! 
Just an additional thought……..

if Princess cares as much as they say about their customers, then why is it that when you call to book a cruise, the call is routed to a U.S. based vacation planner, they answer almost immediately, they take your money immediately, but if you have a concern or problem, most of which are caused by Princess, they route you to some third world country call center that takes sometimes hours to answer, answered by someone that can barely speak English and most times can’t answer your questions or solve your concerns. Then they tell you it will take anywhere from 90 to 120 days to get a refund. Once again they sit on your money to use as their own.

Neither...simply the "cost" to ensure you have reservations when you want them.

If you don't like it, simply take the chance to book once you get onboard. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 1:31 PM, wcook said:

Definitely illegal. Carnival Corp CEO Josh Weinstein could even end up in jail for enabling this crime. 

Hopefully you’ll get your money back in a timely fashion. 

Stupid is, stupid does! OP can anf will get refunded when he boards the ship. Be careful what you say... as it could come back to bite you!