Over a year out, desired rooms greyed-out; unable to book

At about a year and a half out from a sailing date we're considering, none of the aft rooms on Apex are visible - Sunset Sky Suite or Sunset Veranda. I find it implausible that they're all booked this far out, which leaves Celebrity holding them in reserve for some reason. 

Any idea why? And when they may open up?

Those cabins sell quickly as they have actual balconies combined with aft view.  We booked the Apex in January for October 2025 and only 2 SVs available when we booked.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Maligator said:

I find it implausible that they're all booked this far out, which leaves Celebrity holding them in reserve for some reason. 

Not implausible at all. If someone wants a specific cabin or class of cabin, they likely book the moment the sailing becomes available. I've seen many posts here on Cruise Critic where people are asking exactly when a new season of sailings will open up. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

Not implausible at all. If someone wants a specific cabin or class of cabin, they likely book the moment the sailing becomes available. I've seen many posts here on Cruise Critic where people are asking exactly when a new season of sailings will open up. 

And I've been one of those people. I just didn't think this western Med itinerary would be that popular. Guess I was wrong.

Posted (edited)

The often are reserved when first released.   Check back frequently especially near final payment date you will probably see some of them come back into inventory.   Many still book them using Refundable deposits and then convert to a Refundable at or close to final payment date.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The often are reserved when first released.   Check back frequently especially near final payment date you will probably see some of them come back into inventory.   Many still book them using Refundable deposits and then convert to a Refundable at or close to final payment date.

We recently booked an SV on Beyond that popped up shortly before final payment was due.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I agree 100%!

It has happen to me so give this a try.   I would look at booking a cruise and most cabins were greyed out.  I finally found the problem.   The box for handicapped room kept getting checked during my search.   

Another issue is sometimes if you are booking more than 2 to a cabin some will be greyed out.

Happy cruising. 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

15 hours ago, Maligator said:

I just didn't think this western Med itinerary would be that popular.

If you’ve been following the cruise industry, it has become apparent that pretty much all itineraries are becoming quite popular (and priced much higher, and also selling out) recently.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, jelayne said:

Those cabins sell quickly as they have actual balconies combined with aft view.  We booked the Apex in January for October 2025 and only 2 SVs available when we booked.  

We also booked an SV and Suite for Apex’s October TA(b2b), so I actually watched those two types of cabins/suites disappear fast.  I guess the early bird getting the worm is alive and well.  Actually some suites were greyed out only to appear.  We booked in early December for our October 25 cruises.

Edited by Lastdance

Too bad Celebrity can't realize from this that people love real balconies and will go way out of their way to try to book them, especially the ones that are not suites as they are the only ones built that way.  I know some people book them for the view as well, but I suspect a high majority of balcony lovers who can't afford suites grab these ASAP.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 7:45 PM, Maligator said:

At about a year and a half out from a sailing date we're considering, none of the aft rooms on Apex are visible - Sunset Sky Suite or Sunset Veranda. I find it implausible that they're all booked this far out, which leaves Celebrity holding them in reserve for some reason. 

Any idea why? And when they may open up?

they book up as soon as the cruise is released