New Silversea Royal Caribbean/Celebrity Status Match Announced

taxatty

28 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

As a double Zenith, I would not be concerned if I were you.    Looks like the only benefit is an ungraded bottle of bubbly and Free Laundry.  The FAQ says many of the special events 500+ members enjoy are not included for those on Status Match.

CAS Excluded Benefits include but are not limited to the following: 
I. Complimentary Pinnacle Club milestone cruises  
II. Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club amenities  
III. Single supplement cruise fare reduction  
IV. Cheers with an Officer onboard event  
V. Milestone recognition (Crystal Block)  
VI. Upgraded bathroom amenities  
VII. Pinnacle Club milestone kits  
VIII. Chef’s Choice amenity  

Free laundry means something on SSea. Longer cruises with what looks like enough B to B folks. 

Laundry, for the most part, is not worth it on X. 2 day turn around on a 7 day cruise makes it difficult to use. You almost have to show up with dirty laundry to get any use out of it. 

14 minutes ago, tfred said:

Free laundry means something on SSea. Longer cruises with what looks like enough B to B folks. 

Laundry, for the most part, is not worth it on X. 2 day turn around on a 7 day cruise makes it difficult to use. You almost have to show up with dirty laundry to get any use out of it. 

Free laundry and possibly 5-10% discounts are a game changer for us. We were loyal to RC and Celebrity when our kids were young and now we sail on Viking, Crystal and Sea Dream. Our first SSea voyage is in two weeks and we had convinced ourselves this would be a one and done but with these improvements we may book another trip while onboard.

We are carry on only travelers, especially when launderettes are available-now that I don’t have to do laundry I am giddy!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

As a double Zenith, I would not be concerned if I were you.    Looks like the only benefit is an ungraded bottle of bubbly and Free Laundry.  The FAQ says many of the special events 500+ members enjoy are not included for those on Status Match.

CAS Excluded Benefits include but are not limited to the following: 
I. Complimentary Pinnacle Club milestone cruises  
II. Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club amenities  
III. Single supplement cruise fare reduction  
IV. Cheers with an Officer onboard event  
V. Milestone recognition (Crystal Block)  
VI. Upgraded bathroom amenities  
VII. Pinnacle Club milestone kits  
VIII. Chef’s Choice amenity  

I hope you are not “too demanding” 😆 for the poor staff and fellow guests on SSea! Just kidding, I thought that comment was wild and nice that you didn’t take it personally. Your posts on Celebrity have always been some of my favorites!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lois R said:

You should see the thread about this topic over on the Celebrity board. I realize it is  a much larger forum but they are really posting alot.....It is already in the 100's of responses.

I am going to read my way through all the posts. It’s a quiet night. Pity the OP has no punctuation skills! (Miaow!)

It seems Celebrity and Royal cruisers with high status are more interested in the possible reduction of reciprocal perks.  Few are interested in Silversea.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tfred said:

I've never really had a hard time with laundry on CC.   My experience as a Zenith on many long cruises is I leave it out at night and have it bag in the next evening.   Also on B2B I give it to the butler the last night and they have it back the next day.   

Recently my butler insisted on sending out all my laundry on the next to last day and had it returned folded for easy packing.    I have a tenancy of sending it out about every 2-3 days - splitting Dry Clean and Laundry in different bags.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tinaincc said:

I hope you are not “too demanding” 😆 for the poor staff and fellow guests on SSea! Just kidding, I thought that comment was wild and nice that you didn’t take it personally. Your posts on Celebrity have always been some of my favorites!

Nahhh.. not demanding.   Actually we are pretty self sufficient... I specifically usually ask the butler not to leave food and snacks in our room.  I'm the type that if something is sitting on the table it somehow ends in my stomach. 

Usually the butler stops by and tries to get us to use them more.   I'm also the type that usually prefers to run to the Barista and get my own coffee in lieu of picking up a phone and "bothering" the butler. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Usually the butler stops by and tries to get us to use them more.   I'm also the type that usually prefers to run to the Barista and get my own coffee in lieu of picking up a phone and "bothering" the butler.

We're in the same category.  But I wonder [without any knowledge] if the Butlers have to document their activities and too many passengers not using them leads to things like Celebrity firing most of the Butlers in The Retreat and switching to a [small] team approach.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Nahhh.. not demanding.   Actually we are pretty self sufficient... I specifically usually ask the butler not to leave food and snacks in our room.  I'm the type that if something is sitting on the table it somehow ends in my stomach. 

I knew I liked you! I’m the same. The thought of my butler taking the time to unpack for me is beyond comprehension along with all the things you mention.

My use of a butler starts and ends with keeping our mini fridge filled.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tinaincc said:

I knew I liked you! I’m the same. The thought of my butler taking the time to unpack for me is beyond comprehension along with all the things you mention.

My use of a butler starts and ends with keeping our mini fridge filled.

We like breakfast in the suite so the butler does that, as well as keeping to fridge filled. They always seem to want us to give them more work but apart from booking speciality restaurants we can never think of anything.

6 hours ago, commodoredave said:

Yet one more step in the dumbing down of Silversea from luxury to premium. 

Seems like getting rid of the butlers would be the next logical step.

Aloha. Have been blessed to sail Royal, Holland, Cunard since the 1970s and Princess since the 1980s and Celebrity since its inception and first ship. As a result of spreading cruising and the variety of the different lines we are top tier with most.  As we are getting older we are avoiding the mass market amusement park ships although they are fun but not without the kids lol. That said we are enjoying the higher end ships now and enjoy Crystal, Oceania and Silversea. While not top tier and ways to go with them, the extra boost with status match is a nice recognition.  While a comparison is perhaps not as appropriate, we are top tier with Bonvoy and enjoy the amenities across their brands. I believe it was a smart decision to include Silversea in the package. Sadly, its acquisition by Royal has resulted in change which is inevitable but that is the same with everything. Dividing our time between NY and Hawaii there is change everywhere. Sometimes good sometimes not so good. Even my favorite airline Hawaiian is being acquired by Alaska Airlines which will dilute the aloha spirit and 'Ohana atmosphere. I travel with an open mind and positive thoughts and are blessed we can do so!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tinaincc said:

Free laundry and possibly 5-10% discounts are a game changer for us. We were loyal to RC and Celebrity when our kids were young and now we sail on Viking, Crystal and Sea Dream. Our first SSea voyage is in two weeks and we had convinced ourselves this would be a one and done but with these improvements we may book another trip while onboard.

We are carry on only travelers, especially when launderettes are available-now that I don’t have to do laundry I am giddy!

Just don't expect Crystal quality food on Silversea.

• Like 1

RCG is not crazy enough to think that SSea can stand on its own without bringing in new customers. With the launching of Explora, Ritz Carlton and the existing Seabourn and Crystal, the lux cruise segment is getting competitive.  New to the market cruisers have no idea what the differences are and make choices that would be different than seasoned cruisers 

The status match program is just a way to let Royal and X cruisers that there is this other nice cruise line that we own and when you want something unique you can look at SSea for vacation fun.  Sort of the old GM model of start with Chevrolet, move to Buick and then a Cadillac 

There will not be hordes of Royal and X pax jumping to SSea.  Royal and X are 7 day, Saturday ships leaving from Florida.  Literally half the pax never get off the ship.  SSea is longer cruises, harder to get to get to ports and doesn't conform to most working people's vacation schedule. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tfred said:

There will not be hordes of Royal and X pax jumping to SSea.  Royal and X are 7 day, Saturday ships leaving from Florida.  Literally half the pax never get off the ship.  SSea is longer cruises, harder to get to get to ports and doesn't conform to most working people's vacation schedule. 

Agreed.

This is to entice Royal and X passengers who are already interested in premium small lines to stay in the RCG family.

The only VS 250 benefits that I care about are the free laundry and the 10% discount on future cruises. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tfred said:

Which we often do, having usually arrived in a port city some days before departure! 😁 We gave them five days of laundry upon boarding in Lisbon last Fall.

I'm looking at what is offered in the way of reciprocal benefits, and based upon the cabins we have been booking, I don't see that, apart from 'upgraded' champagne in the cabin, we're likely to see any difference as newly minted VS350+ members.  That said, what's up with the 10% off future bookings for 250+?  Does that apply to onboard bookings only?  Will this be extended to the match program?

Posted (edited)

Hi.  A little confused by this status matching and potential benefits of previous RC brand sailings.

We've cruised I think 2 Celebrity and one RC cruises long ago.  Have status on other brands but never SS.  Looking at booking a SS trip this fall, but does this mean we don’t get onboard services like laundry because it’s our first booking?  Do we need to consolidate our days of cruising RC brands in the past some way into a new status system?

The posts seem to have a lot of knowledge I lack.  But it seems that SS should want to attract my business as well (59, retired high income type) and if we are second class citizens on a ship that’s not attractive to me.

anyway any advice regarding SS is appreciated.  When alcohol is supposed to be included, what is ‘upgraded cabin sparking as a benefit.  Is the included drinks in a premium line poor quality and they are seeking up charges?  That totally turns me off to a like charging $1000 pp per day rates.

Edited by Pizzasteve

1 minute ago, Pizzasteve said:

Hi.  A little confused by this status matching and potential benefits of previous RC brand sailings.

We've cruised I think 2 Celebrity and one RC cruises long ago.  Have status on other brands but never SS.  Looking at booking a SS trip this fall, but does this mean we don’t get onboard services like laundry because it’s our first booking?  Do we need to consolidate our days of cruising RC brands in the past some way into a new status system?

The posts seem to have a lot of knowledge I lack.  But it seems that SS should want to attract my business as well (59, retired high income type) and if we are second class citizens on a ship that’s not attractive to me.

anyway any advice regarding SS is appreciated 

Why do you think you would be second class citizens on Silversea? Before the status match you would have needed 100 days on Silversea for free laundry. I’m sure that there are lots of passengers on board who don’t qualify. I certainly don’t; this is my first SS cruise, and I have never cruised with any other line in the group. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Why do you think you would be second class citizens on Silversea? Before the status match you would have needed 100 days on Silversea for free laundry. I’m sure that there are lots of passengers on board who don’t qualify. I certainly don’t; this is my first SS cruise, and I have never cruised with any other line in the group. 

I was surprised to read that they charged for laundry at all, and that they had different wine for people with ‘status’ given the price point.  Regent didn’t have policies like that, which feel more mass market.

but I’m trying to learn. SS may not be for us.

2 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

I was surprised to read that they charged for laundry at all, and that they had different wine for people with ‘status’ given the price point.  Regent didn’t have policies like that, which feel more mass market.

but I’m trying to learn. SS may not be for us.

Silversea has the same included wine for all passengers.  Decent wine brands, and Champagne.  All this included in your cruise fare. Plus shore excursions. There are more expensive wines and whiskey though, which you would have to pay for.

On boarding, every cabin used to have a bottle of Monopole blue top champagne in an ice bucket (SS is currently changing suppliers), so I guess passengers who had cruised 250+ days received some other, more expensive brand.

You may well be a good fit with Silversea, and should give them a go.  However, as this thread is about reciprocal benefits, two cruises on Celebrity probably mean you have not yet earned enough status anyway.

There are plenty of passenger laundries throughout the ship at no charge.  The perk of free laundry comes after 100 days sailing.  Or sooner now if you are Elite with X.  Perhaps not on your first cruise, though.  Uncertain about that.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, tfred said:

I agree that there will not be "hordes" of Royal and X cruisers jumping to SS, but I do think these new benefits will entice some who are thinking of "moving up" (or getting older and starting to cruise without kids, or are newly retired...)

I have to disagree that Royal and X are 7 day cruises leaving from Florida. Sure, some of them are (as are some of the "luxury line" cruises) . The ones we've taken are longer cruises, leaving from Sydney, Singapore, Athens, Rome, Southampton, Buenos Aires, etc. etc. And on the cruises we've taken, most of the passengers got off the ship at most of the ports.

We recently took our first SS cruise and we're about to leave for our second. Getting this new status on SS from our Elite Plus on Celebrity has incentivized us to book a third SS cruise (well, a fourth if you count the just-cancelled Mumbai cruise in Dec.).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, canderson said:

I'm looking at what is offered in the way of reciprocal benefits, and based upon the cabins we have been booking, I don't see that, apart from 'upgraded' champagne in the cabin, we're likely to see any difference as newly minted VS350+ members.  That said, what's up with the 10% off future bookings for 250+?  Does that apply to onboard bookings only?  Will this be extended to the match program?

The 10% off future bookings has already started and not just for onboard bookings. We just booked a cruise for next year through our TA and got the extra 10% off as well as 5% off since it was labeled as a "Venetian Society cruise". And I for one am looking forward to the free laundry benefit. Did you get free laundry on Celebrity because of the suite you booked? Or are you Zenith?

16 minutes ago, late2cruisin said:

I agree that there will not be "hordes" of Royal and X cruisers jumping to SS, but I do think these new benefits will entice some who are thinking of "moving up" (or getting older and starting to cruise without kids, or are newly retired...)

I have to disagree that Royal and X are 7 day cruises leaving from Florida. Sure, some of them are (as are some of the "luxury line" cruises) . The ones we've taken are longer cruises, leaving from Sydney, Singapore, Athens, Rome, Southampton, Buenos Aires, etc. etc. And on the cruises we've taken, most of the passengers got off the ship at most of the ports.

We recently took our first SS cruise and we're about to leave for our second. Getting this new status on SS from our Elite Plus on Celebrity has incentivized us to book a third SS cruise (well, a fourth if you count the just-cancelled Mumbai cruise in Dec.).

X and R certainly have European and Asian cruises. The meat and potatoes are the Caribbean cruises. Big profit for them. 

the non Caribbean cruises are port intensive with most pax get off and touring   Caribbean cruises are floating hotels with many pax staying on board or just taking a quick Wally tour of the immediate port. 

I agree that SSea is an easy upgrade to consider for Retreat pax looking for more interesting. We are on a SSea Rome to Venice 12 day this August. It was actually less expensive than a X Med cruise so it was a no brainer.