Trying to get excited about the Pinnacle class

I’ll be sailing on my first Pinnacle class ship, Rotterdam, next month and am trying to get excited about it. I love HAL for its service, great itineraries, and overall classic atmosphere. In particular, I am a huge fan of HAL’s small ships (RIP Prinsendam and Amsterdam, and all of the S and R class). I always made an effort to sail only the smaller ships, knowing that they had less years left in the fleet. I promised myself I would never sail the Pinnacle class until I absolutely had to or when they became the smallest ships in the fleet; whichever came first. (Stubborn, I know!) Well, eight years later and thanks to COVID, that day has finally come, and I selected the Rotterdam for a Norway itinerary, knowing that time to see the fjords via cruise ship is also now limited.

Reading posts about the Pinnacle class has always made me wary of the onboard experience: narrow promenade decks (walking the promenade deck is one of my favorite forms of exercise), an awkward theater in the round, crowded public areas, and complaints about the MDR’s long waits and poor service unless one mitigates this through purchasing Club Orange. I sail solo and enjoy fixed early dining at a larger table, so Club Orange doesn’t make much sense for me. I am concerned about how the other areas will affect my experience.

The one thing I am looking forward to is the Grand Dutch Café and seeing the various offerings on the Music Walk. I’ve experienced the latter on the Vista class ships and enjoyed the scaled-down version, so it will be nice to finally see the original.

All this to say, I know I am very fortunate to be taking this cruise and I will enjoy the service and the ports of call. Now, I'm hoping to hear from others: what Pinnacle class positives can you share, and what should I look forward to about sailing on this (new-to-me) class of ship?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We're newer to Holland America and due to itinerary choices and departure dates, we've only sailed on Pinnacle class ships and we still love Holland America.  We've been on Koningsdam and Rotterdam and will be on Koningsdam again in two weeks - we loved both ships and the service on board.  As noted, the Grand Dutch Cafe is one of our favorite places and the main theater with circular video screens is actually very effective for all kinds of presentations and shows.  Club Orange on Rotterdam was excellent and we had good experiences in the Koningsdam main dining room.  The main pool area on Pinnacle is very nice, with the mezzanine level and the NY Deli as a great breakfast and lunch option.

Rotterdam in particular has elegant and contemporary decor and we love the Dutch history throughout the ship.  Having experienced a proper teak promenade deck on QM2, the Pinnacle promenade is indeed narrow and has blocked views.  But you can still go all the way around, which isn't possible on some other cruise lines.

I'm sure you'll have a great cruise.

• Like 5

I just sailed my first Pinnacle ship last week, the Rotterdam. I had early fixed dining at a large table and it was wonderful. Service was great. I’ve read complaints about noise, but we didn’t seem to have an issue on the upper deck. The only crowded area I felt was an issue was the Lido during breakfast and lunch. However, they’ve been crowded on every ship I’ve been on during peak times. The World Stage was fine for the entertainment we had. At one point, I was so close to the side of the stage that I could see the teleprompter. Made it easy to shout out the answers when the cruise director quizzed the audience 😉.

The Grand Dutch cafe was great. Loved the food. To me, the coffee was no different than any other location. 

• Like 5

it's all what you make of it .  My beloved doesn't want to aail on any other ships! Dutch cafe is his fave and the overall lightness and brightness od the ships is a bonus. Heck, we aren't that hard to please. We regularly go into very shaky neighborhoods to get the best Asian food possible. Go with an open mind....only you can set yourself up for disappointment. Enjoy, really.

• Like 4

We have been on Vista class, Signature and all three of the Pinnacle. We like the Rotterdam the best of the Pinnacle class. They made improvements in each ship as each was being built, Rotterdam being the newest. Every class has their own charms, and you will find that with Rotterdam. You won't be disappointed in the Music Walk and Dutch Cafe. The MDR is beautiful and has big tables for your desired dining. The pool areas have been updated and both are lovely. The ship is elegant and bright as are the rooms. Give the theatre a try, you may like it. Open your eyes to the beauty of MS Rotterdam and enjoy!

• Like 2

We don’t care for Pinnacle Class: cabins have smaller, awkward layouts (for us), and we miss the lovely wide promenade deck we like for photography and relaxing. We do like the Dutch Cafe, but the rest of the ship is just not of interest to us. 

• Like 4

We are like you. Loved the old mariner sailing ships with the wood and wide/lounging promenade. We only sail Pinnacle class when we have to (using up credits) and we find it hectic. HAL's crew even says they prefer the smaller ships as they get a slower pace and chance to interact with passengers. We didn't eat in MDR much due to noise level but if you ask for a smaller table 4-6, it should be better. We prep the wait staff to let them know of wine and time if needing to go to a show, communication (nicely done) helps and they like that. They should put Dutch Cafe on all ships (in the old library cafes). The promenade is a big disappointment for us and some angles are single file and can't see oncoming traffic (not everyone walks counter clockwise). There is more music and bars but it gets crowded and redundant on longer voyages. We love the old theater and the new ones are different to navigate but HAL hasn't made use of the Great technology they promoted when the first ship arrived. The pool and movie, gelato (fee), NY Deli, are nice additions. Overall there are more people and feels more crowded than the older ships but if you can find when everyone rushes to Lido or MDR you can avoid some of it. The itinerary sounds great and you will still enjoy the cruise, if you accept the difference and find the good, you will survive. 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, janmcn said:

We don’t care for Pinnacle Class: cabins have smaller, awkward layouts (for us), and we miss the lovely wide promenade deck we like for photography and relaxing. We do like the Dutch Cafe, but the rest of the ship is just not of interest to us. 

I couldn't agree more. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Infi said:

Now, I'm hoping to hear from others: what Pinnacle class positives can you share, and what should I look forward to about sailing on this (new-to-me) class of ship?

We love the Pinnacle class, its definitely our preferred class of HAL ship. Positives for us are: 

1. NY Deli, we love the breakfast bagel sandwiches, and salad or pizza for pm snacks 

2. Love having both the Rolling Stone Rock Room and BB Kings 

3. Dutch cafe for snacks or lattes 

4. Separate Club Orange dining room

5. The theatre with the multiple screens is awesome, we don't find it "awkward" at all 

Yes, the narrow outside promenade decks are not great for those who enjoy walking the decks at their own pace (because there are lots of people who walk very slowly 2 or 3 abreast and who won't move aside for those behind them, unless you are right on their tail and loudly say "excuse me").

And I understand that those who also like to sit out and watch the sea on the promenade deck will also not like Pinnacle ships, because the views are obstructed by the lifeboats. This does not bother me at all, but it might bother you. 

For us the positives greatly outweigh the negatives, but you might feel differently - so try one, keep a positive attitude, and decide for yourself.  

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Oh, you and me both!! I LOVED the smaller ships that are now gone, as well as the couple that we still have available, and while the Vista class eventually became my favorite for various reasons, even the Eurodam and NA were considered HUGE by me !!  I resisted trying the Pinnacle class until just last year.  My first sailing on one was, like yours will be, on Rotterdam, and I LOVED it!!! The things you mentioned were exactly my negatives - the narrow wraparound deck on Deck 3, the strange theater configuration (and lack of much going on in there by way of entertainment in any case).  Also, I agree with RuthC about the cabins - a shame that they made them smaller and just not as "old time cruising" feeling...  HOWEVER, there was so much to love, that I forgave those things.  I loved that the Sea View pool area is more covered and has lots of comfortable furniture to hang out on, and I love love love the Grand Dutch Cafe.  The whole ship just felt like "home" the minute I boarded, and to be honest, it just doesn't feel that big.  If you could beam me onto a Pinnacle ship and told me it was the Westerdam, I probably wouldn't have argued (until I saw the GDC, but you get my drift). Weirdly, for me, the signature class ships seem bigger!  I don't know why that is.  They are my least favorite class.  Another thing, although this probably doesn't apply for you, is the Pinnacle class has solo cabins and they are really nice.  In short, while I STILL would probably choose a smaller ship - I now would not hesitate to choose Pinnacle class ships.  I've done 3 cruises on them to date and have one booked on K-dam, the last one for me to have sailed on every ship in the fleet (most many, many times).  I know you are going to have a wonderful time on your northern Eurpoean cruise!!

Edited by Moriah
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

We sailed on the Rotterdam 2 years ago, beautiful ship but I prefer the smaller Eurodam. The cruise itself was so-so with HAL still feeling the effects of Covid. Service was not up to HAL norms, entertainment wasn’t good except for Lincoln Center which is now gone and the food was fair. We have stopped sailing with HAL after pretty a pretty bad cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam about 18 months ago, hopefully someday we will sail with HAL again but right now we are sticking with Celebrity and Princess.

Edited by MISTER 67

53 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We sailed on the Rotterdam 2 years ago, beautiful ship but I prefer the smaller Eurodam. The cruise itself was so-so with HAL still feeling the effects of Covid. Service was not up to HAL norms, entertainment wasn’t good except for Lincoln Center which is now gone and the food was fair. We have stopped sailing with HAL after pretty a pretty bad cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam about 18 months ago, hopefully someday we will sail with HAL again but right now we are sticking with Celebrity and Princess.

DH and I just returned home from a wonderful 14-night British Isles cruise on the beautiful Rotterdam. From reading your comments, things have come a long way since your sailing (thankfully). Everything about our cruise was fantastic--our beautiful Aft Vista Suite and stateroom attendant, the entertainment, and the food. The service everywhere was outstanding. DH and I are long time Celebrity cruisers (over 20), but have gotten tired of thier repetative itineraries, and we're not fans of the E-Class ships, not to mention thier rediculous upcharge for a refundable booking. Given all that, we decided to check out HAL. We were thrilled to see such a variety of longer and more interesting itineries (at reasonable prices), so decided to book the Rotterdam, and we're so glad we did. Our concern is just the opposite of the OP's. We've booked an Adriatic sailing on the Oosterdam, and the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise on the Niew Amsterdam, and we're worried that the smaller, older ships won't live up to our great experience on the Rotterdam. Reading the comments for the fans of these smaller ships is reassuring, though.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MustBCruzn said:

DH and I just returned home from a wonderful 14-night British Isles cruise on the beautiful Rotterdam. From reading your comments, things have come a long way since your sailing (thankfully). Everything about our cruise was fantastic--our beautiful Aft Vista Suite and stateroom attendant, the entertainment, and the food. The service everywhere was outstanding. DH and I are long time Celebrity cruisers (over 20), but have gotten tired of thier repetative itineraries, and we're not fans of the E-Class ships, not to mention thier rediculous upcharge for a refundable booking. Given all that, we decided to check out HAL. We were thrilled to see such a variety of longer and more interesting itineries (at reasonable prices), so decided to book the Rotterdam, and we're so glad we did. Our concern is just the opposite of the OP's. We've booked an Adriatic sailing on the Oosterdam, and the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise on the Niew Amsterdam, and we're worried that the smaller, older ships won't live up to our great experience on the Rotterdam. Reading the comments for the fans of these smaller ships is reassuring, though.

I was on the same sailing and it was wonderful to meet you! I prefer the smaller R-Class ships. The Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam ships are my least favorite, but that’s not to say they are bad ships. Just my personal preference. Only having the Crow’s Nest for specialty coffee is something that irritates me but the rest of the ship is ok. I usually have a cabin on the lower decks, so having to go all the way up there for coffee makes me not want any at all. I also will be on the Oosterdam next year for the first time, so then I will have sailed on all their classes. 

• Like 1

My first HAL sailing was on Zaandam and I loved the smaller ship.

But I also love the Pinnacle class.  I've sailed K'dam and Rotterdam (26 nights last spring including the 150th Anniversary TA).  I'm sailing K'dam again next January for 24 nights.

I'm a fan of the Signature class as well as the Vista class.  Not too large, not too small.  What I love most about those classes compared to the Pinnacle class, is the Category J large inside cabins.  I'm solo, and those cabins are just wonderfully spacious (but stay away from the port-side under the lounge).  Pinnacle-class does not have those large inside cabins, which makes me sad.

Only thing I prefer about Signature class over Vista is having Tamarind.

I loved Rotterdam.  Beautiful ship, good food, great service.  Although I was solo, I sailed with friends.  Having the CO dining room was fantastic for us.

I know a lot of HAL loyalists think the Pinnacle class ships are "too large."  They really aren't.  Not compared to so many newer ships out there.  Besides, the larger the ship, the more steps on a daily basis.  That and always taking the stairs helps offset the calorie consumption! 😁

I haven't met a HAL ship yet that I didn't love!  That's Zaandam, Zuiderdam, Koningsdam, Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Zuiderdam again, Rotterdam, Eurodam again.  Next up - N Am, K'dam, Oosterdam and Westerdam.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

I was on the same sailing and it was wonderful to meet you! I prefer the smaller R-Class ships. The Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam ships are my least favorite, but that’s not to say they are bad ships. Just my personal preference. Only having the Crow’s Nest for specialty coffee is something that irritates me but the rest of the ship is ok. I usually have a cabin on the lower decks, so having to go all the way up there for coffee makes me not want any at all. I also will be on the Oosterdam next year for the first time, so then I will have sailed on all their classes. 

It was wonderful to meet you too! And thank you so much for starting our great roll call. It really was a fabulous cruise. I can't wait for our next one, which is the Oosterdam Adriatic in September, then nothing until the K'dam in May '25. That's a long dry stretch, so I may have to remedy that and visit the future cruise desk while onboard in September. 🙂

• Haha 1

Lido is the worst for lunch.  The Dutch Cafe can be very slow at lunchtime also, but at least more pleasant to sit while you wait.  Gelato, Tamarind and Nami Sushi are why I like the Pinnacle class.  There are always nooks and crannies where the masses don't congregate.  Once you find out where the crowds are and at what times, you can adjust and have a more enjoyable sailing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

There are always nooks and crannies where the masses don't congregate.  Once you find out where the crowds are and at what times, you can adjust and have a more enjoyable sailing.

Man, you guys are so spoiled. 😆 Talking about "the masses" on a 2700 pax ship. We've been sailing the mass-market mega ships (4000+) and can't wait to get on the huge Rotterdam. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Man, you guys are so spoiled. 😆 Talking about "the masses" on a 2700 pax ship. We've been sailing the mass-market mega ships (4000+) and can't wait to get on the huge Rotterdam. 

I’ve been thinking the same

thing!😂

2 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Maybe more "smart" than "spoiled" 😉 You won't find me booking a behemoth with 4000+ passengers onboard!

Sue/WDW1972

3 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Man, you guys are so spoiled. 

Not so much 'spoiled' as having a more complete basis of comparison. When you have enjoyed the atmosphere on ships that hold 800, 1200, 1400 passengers, then we know what each increase in passenger capacity means to the experience. 
If you haven't ever had the opportunity to sail on smaller (HAL) ships, then you are comparing to larger ships on other lines in a vacuum. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

It will be interesting for you to experience the Pinnacle class Rotterdam.

There are many who have much more travel time with HAL but, I have cruised on: Eurodam x 2, Oosterdam, Noordam, Veendam and N.Statendam and N.Rotterdam. Currently booked back on NS in December and NR in March 2025.

I have booked Club Orange previous on the Pinnacle vessels and again on the upcoming cruises.

The service, meals and general care that the staff extended on the NS and NR was EXCELLENT..

The entertainment wasn't outstanding but supposedly HAL is attempting to upgrade their evening shows. We LOVED the Lincoln Center classical performances that were usually standing room only but.... This will be most missed on upcoming cruises. The Music Walk is okay, especially if you can find a place to sit and don't mind loud music drifting from one site to another. The Orange Night is really crowded and seems to be primarily a way for HAL to sell orange things to wear. We usually pass through and keep on going.

We have been sticking with HAL recently due to itineraries and better prices than Celebrity who we also have enjoyed many times.

Edited by PROCRUISE
  • Like 1

I love the smaller ships of HAL, matter of fact my favorite was the Volendam.  However, I have sailed the 3 Pinnacle Class ships and love them for different reasons.  Love the Grand Dutch Cafe, Music Walk and Half Moon Bay on the Rotterdam.......Rotterdam remains my favorite ship of the Pinnacle Class ships.

I like the open seating for dinner and have enjoyed the flexibility.  Our service was excellent and couldn't complain about a thing.  I hope you experience the same wonderful service as I did on the Rotterdam this past March.....

• Like 2