Just off Celebrity and wow did I miss Princess!

kaerofan

19 hours ago, kaerofan said:

My adult daughter and I just got off the Celebrity Reflection and were really disappointed.  Princess is usually our favourite line but we were just wanting a short getaway out of Florida.  Lack of entertainment and things to do, price gouging at every turn, mediocre food (terrible pizza) and an overall dark and dismal vibe made us really appreciate Princess.

Seriously???  Food is a somewhat subjective thing, but to say it’s mediocre on X, or Reflection specifically, isn’t even close to accurate. I don’t think that being the best at sea for pizza is quite what X is striving for, but overall their food is as good as can be expected for a mainstream cruise line. You are right about the entertainment, it isn’t outstanding - but it doesn’t seem to be a top demand for the typical X cruiser. 

Show me a cruise line that isn’t price-gouging. They are all trying to maximize profits. I just booked two Princess cruises and am annoyed with having to add packages with numerous unwanted extras I don’t need or want just to get the few things I do need and want. Princess can claim no moral high ground on pricing. 

If you booked X for pizza and entertainment, then no wonder you’re disappointed. There are a ton of other things they do extremely well and it’s unfortunate you weren’t able to allow yourself to enjoy any of them.  But, saying the food is mediocre and that the ship is dark and dismal is very inaccurate and sounds like maybe you were determined not to enjoy yourself because it wasn’t what you are used to. If Princess’ pizza and entertainment are your cruising priorities, you should stick with Princess in future.  Or, do your homework before sailing with another cruise line to get a feel for what they do and do not do well.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 555 said:

It's been to many years since we last sailed on Celebrity so I can't really judge, but they used to be on par with Princess if not better for their food dept. 

still are. Especially since there was a marked downward difference in Princess food since our 2023 Enchanted cruise compared to our 2024 Enchanted cruise.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, JLMcruise said:

We are excited to try our first Princess cruise in a couple of weeks. We are Elite Plus on Celebrity. We recently found the entertainment on Millie and Edge quite good - some of the other ships not so good. You are setting the bar high for the International Cafe - We enjoy Cafe Bacio.  We tried Holland America - nice cruise but wasn't really impressed. Looking forward!

International Cafe has savoury items not just cakes and cookies. We don’t do breakfast in the buffet so the opportunity to have a breakfast muffin and an almond croissant was very appealing. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, sandancer said:

International Cafe has savoury items not just cakes and cookies. We don’t do breakfast in the buffet so the opportunity to have a breakfast muffin and an almond croissant was very appealing. 

We think alike - I never go to the Buffet for breakfast. One of my favorite things to do in the am when cruising - grab a latte, croissant and my book!

• Like 1

Wow, jaspersmommy I must have hit a nerve, lol!  And yes food is subjective so to each their own, but to us - quite mediocre at every meal. There were actually too many things to mention that we did not enjoy (so I just chose a few examples).  As a former travel agent, we have been on many, many different cruises and cruiselines so the "doing your homework" comment is laughable.  My last celebrity cruise was in 2008 and it was fine, which is why we thought we would try them again.  I don't know many people that go into a vacation "determined to not enjoy themselves" however I do believe that I have fair and reasonable expectations and will not recommend Celebrity.  We clearly just have higher standards. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

We were just on our first Celebrity in July and have our first Princess coming up in January. 

We really enjoyed X Eclipse. We went to two theater shows and they were pretty bad so didn't return but there were plenty of other activities to keep us busy. I loved all of the different places to relax and service was great, food very good. I did miss the casual dining options from other ships. Even good food gets a little old when you're eating the same thing every day. Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to book X again. 

While I would really love to find a line and stick with it (maybe Princess is the one?!), I find that all of the mainstream lines I've been on are pretty comparable. I'll book based on itinerary and value. Right now, Princess seems to have the most bang for the buck and that's why we're trying it out for this upcoming trip!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asctony said:

Celebrity & RCI charge $3 a bag. Was free before.

Thanks!

You've got to be kidding. 😵

So if I don't want to buy their pop corn, I go to the buffet & get a plate of fries, chips, cheese, ribs, etc. How does that save them a penny in the long run?

Sometimes I wonder how the people in corporate think. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 555 said:

It's been to many years since we last sailed on Celebrity so I can't really judge, but they used to be on par with Princess if not better for their food dept. 

If you haven't been on Celebrity post-covid then things have changed a lot. Of course they have on Princess too... but the food on Celebrity is pretty average now (in terms of a lot of the special extras they used to have are gone).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Cannot comment on Celebrity. We were up until last year regulars with P&O, but due to a far less than satisfactory cruise on Ventura last year I am shortly going on Sky Princess. Sadly our days of cruises more than 14 nights may be over after this one. So all being well we will make the most of this one which is 31 nights Canada and New England. Many have or are commenting on loyalty to a cruise line and whilst I don't want to change the discussion on whether Celebrity or Princess it really bring home to me the need for cruise lines to maintain standards because whether you are like myself of the older generation or a young cruiser starting out either with your boyfriend/girlfriend/friend or as a family it doesn't take much to either extol the virtues or put down a cruise line. Of course there are some who stay loyal whatever. 

8 minutes ago, 555 said:

So if I don't want to buy their pop corn, I go to the buffet & get a plate of fries, chips, cheese, ribs, etc. How does that save them a penny in the long run?

Not about saving as they'd be producing the food the same. They're just trying to increase discretionary revenue, from someone who's willing to shell out extra for the comfort/convenience of having popcorn for the movie experience.

Of course, it still cheapens their product overall, which turns others off. But they're currently getting enough new bookers and repeats that they're not worried about that, so are just eyes on the short term aim of increasing onboard revenue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jaspersmommy said:

Seriously???  Food is a somewhat subjective thing, but to say it’s mediocre on X, or Reflection specifically, isn’t even close to accurate. I don’t think that being the best at sea for pizza is quite what X is striving for, but overall their food is as good as can be expected for a mainstream cruise line. You are right about the entertainment, it isn’t outstanding - but it doesn’t seem to be a top demand for the typical X cruiser. 

Show me a cruise line that isn’t price-gouging. They are all trying to maximize profits. I just booked two Princess cruises and am annoyed with having to add packages with numerous unwanted extras I don’t need or want just to get the few things I do need and want. Princess can claim no moral high ground on pricing. 

If you booked X for pizza and entertainment, then no wonder you’re disappointed. There are a ton of other things they do extremely well and it’s unfortunate you weren’t able to allow yourself to enjoy any of them.  But, saying the food is mediocre and that the ship is dark and dismal is very inaccurate and sounds like maybe you were determined not to enjoy yourself because it wasn’t what you are used to. If Princess’ pizza and entertainment are your cruising priorities, you should stick with Princess in future.  Or, do your homework before sailing with another cruise line to get a feel for what they do and do not do well.

Agree with you 100%

Pizza, cookies & popcorn? 

We do many cruise lines each year. We just got off the Beyond. Food, entertainment & ship very bright. Edan in the aft was outstanding!

We were on Enchanted 21 day Med cruise. First 11 days had 1 production shows.

Going on Sun this year B2B.

Everyone has an opinion.

Glad we have choices!

Oh, I forgot. Pizza & cookies are not my favorite. Steak, chops & pasta are.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, geoherb said:

Our last Celebrity cruise was disappointing in food and service. I still look at the itineraries and prices that Celebrity offers, but I have not found any bargains tempting enough to get me to try one again.

Agree. Although I have only been on Celebrity once and was told that I was going to "love it"...  While there was nothing that was bad per se, there was nothing that bowled me over.  It was meh compared to Princess.
We may try it again but as you said there just has not been anything that tempted us to sail on them at this time.

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Agree. Although I have only been on Celebrity once and was told that I was going to "love it"...  While there was nothing that was bad per se, there was nothing that bowled me over.  It was meh compared to Princess.
We may try it again but as you said there just has not been anything that tempted us to sail on them at this time.

What X ship? What were you disappointed about it?

2 hours ago, 555 said:

They’ve read all the studies that show people won’t cross the highway for a five cent lower price on gas and 90% of Americans shop at the grocery store closest to home.  They’re betting most won’t walk to the buffet for a snack after smelling the popcorn. 

• Haha 2

Pizza, cookies and popcorn were merely a few examples.  For those not able to follow along, here are some more.....  fatty, overcooked steak (sent back twice), pancakes I could have bounced off the floor, gave up on dessert because they all tasted the same (or should I say had no taste), pasta wasn't too bad but marinara sauce reminded me of Ragu..... shall I go on?

7 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

They’ve read all the studies that show people won’t cross the highway for a five cent lower price on gas and 90% of Americans shop at the grocery store closest to home.  They’re betting most won’t walk to the buffet for a snack after smelling the popcorn. 

Not me.

I can still remember my dad at 91 years old slowly walking across the street, using his cane and stopping to pick up an old penny lying in the street. I guess I take after him in some ways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kaerofan said:

Wow, jaspersmommy I must have hit a nerve, lol!  And yes food is subjective so to each their own, but to us - quite mediocre at every meal. There were actually too many things to mention that we did not enjoy (so I just chose a few examples).  As a former travel agent, we have been on many, many different cruises and cruiselines so the "doing your homework" comment is laughable.  My last celebrity cruise was in 2008 and it was fine, which is why we thought we would try them again.  I don't know many people that go into a vacation "determined to not enjoy themselves" however I do believe that I have fair and reasonable expectations and will not recommend Celebrity.  We clearly just have higher standards. 

And we have also recently cruised Princess.  The food and overall quality of the experience on ALL mainstream lines like X, RCL, Carnival has declined.

We miss the "old" days.

That Disney is your favorite line says volumes to me.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

3 minutes ago, 555 said:

Not me.

I can still remember my dad at 91 years old slowly walking across the street, using his cane and stopping to pick up an old penny lying in the street. I guess I take after him in some ways.

I will pick up a coin off the street too. But all the found money in a lifetime hasn’t paid for a single one of my cruises. 

I think Princess marketing knows that many cruisers forget all about budgets after they board. Using the medallion or cruise card instead of cash drives additional spending. If I’m not mistaken, Club Med pioneered that approach with the use of beads instead of cash at their resorts decades ago. 

It also bothers the newbs less than the elites. And they’re marketing heavily to the next generation of cruisers who won’t remember that popcorn used to be free. 

• Thanks 1

popcorn sells drinks ... you don't have a package? - here, have a nice big bag of salty popcorn on me, no problem - popcorn is also filling - what's for dinner? - popcorn and a glass of wine 

oh, you've got a package PLUS? sorry, the popcorn is $3.00 - but it's free with the Premier90 now - unlimited to when it's available

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

still are. Especially since there was a marked downward difference in Princess food since our 2023 Enchanted cruise compared to our 2024 Enchanted cruise.

Kind of funny in that we think that Celebrities food has dropped more than Princess food has over the past few years. Between Princess, Celebrity and HAL we like HALs the best currently.

Pre Covid we would have ranked food as HAL, Celebrity, Princess. This year we rank it as HAL, Princess, Celebrity

For all 3 lines it is basically hotel banquet, mass produced quality with a larger selection.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mkmaj said:

We were just on our first Celebrity in July and have our first Princess coming up in January. 

We really enjoyed X Eclipse. We went to two theater shows and they were pretty bad so didn't return but there were plenty of other activities to keep us busy. I loved all of the different places to relax and service was great, food very good. I did miss the casual dining options from other ships. Even good food gets a little old when you're eating the same thing every day. Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to book X again. 

While I would really love to find a line and stick with it (maybe Princess is the one?!), I find that all of the mainstream lines I've been on are pretty comparable. I'll book based on itinerary and value. Right now, Princess seems to have the most bang for the buck and that's why we're trying it out for this upcoming trip!

When it comes to value Princess is pretty good. I would not even try to pick one line. We sail over 100 days per year and many different lines. Last year 7, this year 6. It all depends upon who is sailing where we want to go when we want to go there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

people won’t cross the highway for a five cent lower price on gas

Jeez, my town is so small that crossing to the other side of the street is a trip across town!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

You should have reported violations of the rule to the person in charge of the pool area or Guest Relations. If nobody mentions them, they would not be corrected.

To be fair I have witnessed children in the adult pool on Princess as well with nothing being said. Royal Caribbean does a good job of keeping kids out of the area, However they have a lot more going on for kids on that line. 

8 hours ago, sandancer said:

Just off the Regal British Isles cruise and the entertainment was first class. Enrichment lectures interesting and the theatre shows catered for just about every taste. We were told that the comedian onboard was very good but we never made it. Weather not suitable for movies under the stars so no comment. Overall way better entertainment than Celebrity. The other stand out is the International Cafe, open 24 hours. Cafe Bacio not as good. And yes we have cruised many times on Celebrity, we are Elite Plus but it’s Princess from now on. 

I don’t expect entertainment on a 4 night cruise to be the best and as far as lectures, I don’t consider that entertainment.  In my experience Royal Caribbean has better more up to date entertainment over Princess and Celebrity.