American-centric views

newfarmers

I had a chuckle to myself this morning when I read Carolyn's review of Europa. It reminded me of so many reviews of ships and hotels written from the perspective of an American abroad.

My thoughts here could be posted on any board but as we're HAL cruisers later in the year I thought I'd post here.

Carolyn, and so many American's comment about the cuisine on offer when overseas and how often American 'tastes' aren't catered for. That American classic (this made me laugh out loud actually) a hamburger was longed for... I'm sorry, but if I'm sitting on Europa, obviously on the other side of the world, I would not be longing for a hamburger. And that other classic the hotdog?... a farmer's market is held a couple of blocks from our home every couple of weeks and they have a German sausage stand. Yep, I'd agree with the German's, that's a hotdog!

Similarly, the review of a hotel in Phuket, or Timbuktu, or Darwin will compare the lack of facilities to a Four Seasons or a Hilton. I'm a Starwood member and I've chosen to travel on HAL, not Louis Cruise lines, so I like to travel well, but in all of our travels I know that neither of us have ever thought "gee I'd love a blah blah blah" that we could pull out of the fridge at home.

I realise that American's likely make up the bulk of cruisers worldwide but when I travel I want to experience everything about where I travel, I need no reminders of home, they'll be there when I get back. Maybe that's an Aussie thing - we have to go a long way to go anywhere and make the most of it when we get there

You only have to read the Cunard boards and see how P&O's ships are advertised - "designed for the UK market" - to see the English are no better in this regard.

Get out there everyone, experience the world and embrace it's differences, don't travel sorrounding yourself with the familiar, who knows, you might enjoy it!!

Happy travels:)

I realise that American's would most likely make up the bulk of cruisers but when I travel I want to experience everything about where I travel, I need no reminders of home, they'll be there when I get back. Maybe that's an Aussie thing - we have to go a long way to go anywhere and make the most of it when we get there...

I absolutely agree with you, newfarmers. Sure, I like some of the tastes of home ... I can't help being what I am. But when I'm traveling outside my country I want to experience the tastes and cultures and ways of the people I'm visiting. When I was in Israel I enjoyed experiencing the different standards in terms of hotel accommodations that the local provider had. True, it wasn't what I was used to ... but having new experiences and meeting new people and seeing how things are done elsewhere is a large part of what traveling is about for me.

So ... no ... it's not just an Aussie thing. :)

Well said, mate! Traveling is such a privilege. And seeing the world means living it, too. It seems a shame to travel thousands of miles and not enjoy the unique experiences offered by our world neighbors. When I went to Scotland, for instance, the first thing I wanted was haggis, neeps and tatties. Not a hamburger.

New Farmers:

If you see Indonesian Nasi Goreng, Bami Goreng, Sate, Lumpia, Rijstaffel, etc on the HAL menu, go for it! Maybe you're already familiar with those dishes, being that Indonesia is so close to Australia. You can even ask your dining steward for some sambal; that'll give your food a real kick!;)

Try traveling through India where my sister had a traditional wedding (they told me it was a ceremony but I know a wedding when I see one). We had rice and my Dh only ate the bread for two weeks. We had a great time and stayed in some very interesting local hotels too.

When I was in Venice I remember passing a couple who were angrily complaining that they couldn't find a McDonalds and that the food there 'didn't taste like home'. I was absolutely horrified because never in my life have I tasted better food than the food I had in Italy! Likewise, the excursion I took in Puerto Vallarta passed a WalMart, and I couldn't believe how many people wanted to get off the bus right there!

The part I enjoy most about travel, particularily abroad, is to see the differences between places, because that's what makes us, and the world, unique.

NewFarmers - right on! One of the joys of travelling is experiencing the cuisine of different cultures. We travelled a lot doing volunteer work and we always asked for the "national dish" and enjoyed it all - from chicken esophagus in Japan to the Venezuelan verson of a banana split - warmed plantain with cheese.

One of the things we enjoy about cruising is the variety of food offered.

By the way, we were in Melbourne and Sydney last year - absolutely spectacular cities - how we would love to return - but that long flight is a killer!

I too was taken aback by Carolyn's provincial review. Here she is traveling on what most crtics consider the utmost 6star cruise ship and longing for a hamburger. I just wish I had the money to be able to afford that kind of luxury travel; at those prices, a soft word in the ear of a maitre 'd would get you anything you want I am sure. They would be glad to take their prime meat from a steak tartare to be and grill it to your specifications. I feel sure that the wealthy, educated cruising American will not be intimidated by her narrow visioned review.She may have intended it "tongue in cheek" but there are a number of us posters here who did not read it that way apparently.:)

I agree that one of the joys of foreign travel is trying new things. Really, if one wants things just like home - you might as well STAY home. I will continue however, to write from an American view - as that is what I have. ;) Just as I expect other CC'ers to write from a Canadian, British, German, Kiwi, or even Ozzie viewpoint. :D I do appreciate when posters have at least their home country as that it helps to have their point of reference.

I do know what you are saying, one of my half-sisters (aka 'the twit') HATED her HAL 10-day Caribbean honeymoon, as the islands they went to were so "Third World". :rolleyes: But, she would still be a 'twit' no matter what country she was from.

NewFarmer I couldn't agree with you more! I have been blessed in being able to travel ALOT over thet 15 years. Much of it has been to Asia and the South Pacific. We went to China for 2 weeks last year and one of my MAIN complaints was all the places they took us to eat wasn't "local enough". They were places where many Europeans and Americans were taken so the foods were "toned down". Some of the best food we had was when we didn't go with the groups and found our own food.

As others have said, if you think the only GOOD food is what you can get at home....stay home!!! It will leave more room for those of us who truly appreciate local cultures and foods when we go.:p

Now, having said that, I was in Japan for 2 months for work. One of my favorite countries and food in the world! But one of the best tasting meals I can remember was the burger from Burger King when I landed in Seattle!:D

When I was in Venice I remember passing a couple who were angrily complaining that they couldn't find a McDonalds and that the food there 'didn't taste like home'. I was absolutely horrified because never in my life have I tasted better food than the food I had in Italy! Likewise, the excursion I took in Puerto Vallarta passed a WalMart, and I couldn't believe how many people wanted to get off the bus right there!

The part I enjoy most about travel, particularily abroad, is to see the differences between places, because that's what makes us, and the world, unique.

I found it!!! The McDonald's that is.:eek: My Daughter was mortified when I exclaimed, "A McDonald's!" and headed toward it! She grabbed me by the back of my pants and hauled me out of there! :o (I WAS trying to yank her chain!)

BTW, I do agree that when we travel, seeing new things, trying new foods is part of the adventure! I find it so sad that when traveling to an "exotic" location you see McDonalds, WalMarts, etc... I was even disappoint when we went to San Antonio and a McDonald's was right across the street from the Alamo!

snip...

Now, having said that, I was in Japan for 2 months for work. One of my favorite countries and food in the world! But one of the best tasting meals I can remember was the burger from Burger King when I landed in Seattle!:D

I am SO tired of having to apologize for being American. I happen to love hamburgers. So what if I don't like eating bat feces, or some other nasty "local cuisine".

Has anyone EVER thought that...maybe we have it right?

You people crack me up...

P.S. I happen to LOVE Nasi Goreng, just don't tell me what is right or proper.

HMMM -- it is all a question of degree, isn't it?

I think the number of people who want to totally "go native" altogether is really very small. We all like that which we are accustomed to.

I rarely look for a McDonald's when we travel -- but I do prefer a nice pillow to a bolster, I don't expect to sleep on a clay floor ... and incidentally I have never gotten used to baked beans for breakfast!

We had the chance to visit a Masai village and enter a dung hut -- but I was glad to go back to the safari hotel instead of sleeping there!

So -- I don't sleep in a dung hut, others look for a McDonald's ... it is just a matter of degree, isn't it? Somehow those of us who breakfast on olives, cheese and felafel in Egypt like to feel we can sneer at those who want a breakfast burrito from JIB ... but is it really significant?

PS -- check out

Our CASABLANCA page

for a picture of me eating a McArabia burger! It was the only place open for lunch during Ramadan!;)

Well said, mate! Traveling is such a privilege. And seeing the world means living it, too. It seems a shame to travel thousands of miles and not enjoy the unique experiences offered by our world neighbors. When I went to Scotland, for instance, the first thing I wanted was haggis, neeps and tatties. Not a hamburger.

Ah yes Jim,

but did you actually eat haggis, bashed neeps and chappit tatties? Possibly not since that's not our everyday fare. Haggis is usually only trotted out on festive occasions and we Scots are far more likely to sit down to a dinner of mince and tatties, or (God help us) finnan haddie. Och, and how could I have forgotten porridge for breakfast?

Valerie;)

p.s. I should mention that I never eat hamburgers or hot dogs here at home in San Diego but I will admit to a real craving for some local-style Mexican food after 30 days or so of HAL's fine cuisine.

I'm always thrilled when we find a Burger King or McDonalds when we are traveling. Never eat the stuff.....not at home and not abroad, but they always have CLEAN BATHROOMS!!! :) DH and I buy a soft drink or fries or something so we won't seem rude and ugly to be just using their plumbing but the truth is, we only entered in hopes of finding a clean bathroom which is often marble. ;)

IMHO, travel is about meeting new people, seeing new places (and it's fun later to be able to say during a movie...I've been there!), experience new things (and tastes).

I am now stepping off the box:D

Provencial and yet well travelled American chiming in here :D ;)

I travelled around Europe for 2 weeks many years ago when a youngin'. I have always been an adventurous eater and enjoyed the local foods, though I got a bit tired of hard crusted white bread with every single solitary meal.. including breakfast. I would have paid good money for one of granny's Southern style buttermilk biscuits with blackberry jam but I digress.

A couple days before I was to go back home we stopped in at the Hard Rock in London (back when there wasn't one on every corner) and had a hamburger. That little slice of Americana was very welcomed by my rumpled travel worn soul and fortified me for the long return plane ride.

Sometimes those little reminders of home are comforting. When one has been away for a while, seeing or eating something familiar can really smooth rumpled and tired nerves.

I never sniff at others needs for comfort when travelling. I doubt only Americans long for the familiar and comforting when on a long trip. And food and your nightly bed are comfort things, period. Just because I like pickled baby octopus and brains n' eggs doesn't mean everyone does and doesn't mean I want them everyday.

Sure, when in Rome... but when a gal needs a good biscuit, she needs a good biscuit. :)

We have done a lot of traveling in our own country as well as abroad and we always try to avoid any type of restuarant that we have at home. Once in Germany we did have to make a McDonald's visit--my husband insisted we go so he could have a beer with his burger and tell friends and family back home!

To those I have offended, I apologise. It was the Europa review that made me do it!

To those with words of agreement - thankyou kindred spirits.

I couldn't agree more that a clean toilet is often the only thing you want but as a guy I'm lucky, I'm in and out!

And yes, a bit of comfort food is often something that you need, not just want. It was just on Europa I couldn't image that things were so bad that comfort was needed (LOL).

And I definitely meant no offence to American's in general and to those who cried foul in the belief that this was aimed specifically at them, I apologise directly. I travel on both British and Aus passports and am amazed how many British, Irish (they're eveywhere in Thailand) and Aussie pubs there are - in the most bizarre places. Yep, we're ALL the same.

But one post did crack me up - "has anyone thought we might have it right?" when referring to THE BURGER.

Sorry, I can't help myself by answering no! no! no! The Golden Arches and Burger King might finally be providing healthy(ish) meals but a burger (biscuit?), a hotdog or a piece of pizza with nothing but tomato sauce and cheese do not a healthy body make and are responsible for.... stop me!!!!!!!

As another poster said, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Happy travels;)

I too happen to agree with the OP - being a Canadian. Sure, we are good friends and neighbours with Americans for the most part. There are probably more similarities in culture than elsewhere in the world. While I think our OP was not out to attack Americans I had to feel too that there were a few comments made during that Europa review that struck me as a big "don't" in writing reviews. It was a review that in my mind struck me as a target for the stereotyping of anti-American sentiments.

The number of pleasant people who seek culture and new experiences come from all over the world as we can verify by the postings on these boards. Many of course are Americans.

Of course, even I love my creature comforts and I would be the first to admit that I would have a hard time roughing it but not finding a burger on a luxury ship is not equal to sleeping in the jungles of South America or walking with a camel in the deserts of Africa. I figure, if you are off to experience another part of the world you just have to expect things to be different. I think most people do get the fact that if you are on a German boat people would be speaking German. So in the end I don't believe the writer of that article really reflects the people I know.

Sadly we all know of people who want the world to be the same but that's not necessarily an "American" thing either. One fellow on our recent Caribbean cruise loved St. Thomas because it had a Wal-Mart and other typical things back home and didn't care for the other islands because they were "too different". Yet on that same excursion on St. Thomas another woman point blank stated she liked the experience of the other places because they were different.

Myself, even when travelling in Canada and the United States I try to avoid the typical chains that I can shop or eat at back home. I want to see what makes a certain place "that place" - What makes San Francisco different from New Orleans and from Montreal? Of course, there is nothing wrong with the occasional stop off at a familiar point but I try to even make my vacations on home territory as different as I can. The worse experience I had was a trip to New Orleans and being stuck with some fellow conventioners one day - instead of visiting the bayous and plantations they drove out of the city looking for "a shopping mall" - Sears in particular. I was sooooo livid. And these were fellow Canadians. I told my companion there was no way I was spending another day with these folks.

So in the end I think that I agree that the Europa review was written by the wrong person and for the wrong crowd. It doesn't reflect everyone and doesn't reflect itself as a good piece of American journalism. I've read much better travelogues in American newspapers and magazines.

David

I have to sadly agree with you about some of my fellow countrymen.

On one of my cruises I went with a group of friends. While in port for lunch, all they wanted to eat was burgers. I was shocked. To me going to another country is a great chance to try something local. Their reaction, "I'm not eating that, I could get sick" or "I want to know what I'm eating". One of the young ladies that I was with boast how she only eat "American food" when she travels to resorts.

To me one of the best things about traveling is having a taste of local culture. Some of my best meals when traveling were places not listed in the travel books, but by word of mouth. In Seattle, thanks to a postman, I ate some of the best Chinese food. In Vancouver B.C. there's a very small Indian place with the best curry in the world (in fact, the day before my Alaskan cruise,I drove up to Vancouver for a day just to eat there). The same goes for my cruises. I prefer local tour guides and ask where can I get a great meal from somewhere that's not a tourist trap.

When I travel, I go with an open mind to things. Everything is not like the U.S.A. But for some Americans, they want this even when they travel.

Happy sailing!!

Archived