Groups On Your Sailing?

janetz

Wow, what a great resource! I wonder where they get that information and if it reflects all the affinity groups booked. We once sailed on an NCL ship where an insurance group booked about 3/4 of the ship. We never want to do that again, but we've never known how to avoid it, either. Thanks for posting the link!

Wow, what a great resource! I wonder where they get that information and if it reflects all the affinity groups booked. We once sailed on an NCL ship where an insurance group booked about 3/4 of the ship. We never want to do that again, but we've never known how to avoid it, either. Thanks for posting the link!

I was just reading about the lady who was on the Carnival Liberty and the mess they had with a group and I did not find that group with the date that she was on so obviously not all groups are listed.

Marilyn

I believe that this site only lists groups who have booked shore excursions through this company. It does not list all groups on all sailings.

Yes, I agree. While this list is interesting and could be helpful, it doesn't list all groups sailing.

I did a google search and found a group that is scheduled to be on the crusie we are booked for and it was not listed on this page. The group sounds like a fun group, so I can't see it will cause problems and am not sure how many there will be...its a yoga group.

However I would want to know if there is a group that would likely to be a loud group so I could reschedule.

Frankly I think if a group is above a certain size that could substantially affect the cruise experience of other passengers not in the group, then the other passengers have a right to know so a decision could be made whether to rebook. Another idea would be to have a couple of large groups on a ship together and don't book others who are not part of the groups. Then they could have the whole ship.

I was unfortunate enough to board a ship once and find out there was a "World Tourney of Bingo" going on. So at least one third of the passengers were these addictive types. Wish we knew ahead of time so we could have picked another week.

A couple of cruises ago, there was a group onboard for some sort of cardio equipment convention. No problems there. If they took over any rooms (which they probably did from time to time), we didn't notice.

Goodness ! I just noticed there is a group on the Sept 1 sailing on the Sapphire Princess this Saturday. IT says it is some kind of "Vacation Planner/ Cruise Planner" group .... I hope they are tame and not too many of them:confused: . Does anybody have any info on this??

Goodness ! I just noticed there is a group on the Sept 1 sailing on the Sapphire Princess this Saturday. IT says it is some kind of "Vacation Planner/ Cruise Planner" group .... I hope they are tame and not too many of them:confused: . Does anybody have any info on this??

I think they are travel agents......so I think you are safe. ;) Enjoy your cruise!

I think to choose a cruise based on what group may be on it is just silly. Go when you want to go and have a good time.

I don't know if I agree with that statement. Depends on how large the group is. Would you want to spend your cruise not able to use some of the facilities? I think not.

PTC

Groups are one factor, of many, that can affect your cruise. And to fail to consider the possibility that it can affect your cruise is "silly." Some groups have disruptive reputations, and I'm not at all interested in paying for a disrupted vacation. Princess would like to fill the ship, so if someone wants to be onboard with groups that have disruptive reputations, it's fine with me. But, to the extent I can prevent being onboard with them, I will.

In reality, I have only had one vacation affected by a group, and it was a relatively smallish roll call group that cruises together regularly. They were certainly not criminals, though they were unpleasant, loud and obnoxious (shouting back and forth between balconies, public arguments, drunkeness, "taking over" behavior, etc.) This kind of group isn't very easily avoided, but to the extent I can avoid this particular group on a future cruise, I definitely will. I read, but don't participate in roll call threads, and if it became apparent that something disruptive or ugly was developing, I'd be rearranging my vacation to avoid it.

I think to choose a cruise based on what group may be on it is just silly. Go when you want to go and have a good time.

But the point is that a large group can impact your good time, no matter how benign the group is. This is going to sound totally silly and lame to most, but it is a true example. On our first cruise, one of the greatest things was the music all over the ship, and the opportunity to dance where ever and whenever we wanted (although I like to dance, my husband doesn't, and we both hate smoky bars, which where we live is the only place to go out dancing). I had the time of my life. It had been years since we had danced so much. Second cruise...same itin., same time of year, same ship. Not nearly as enjoyable for me. Reason? A large dance group was on the ship. No matter where you went, they were dancing...beautifully. They weren't loud. They weren't drunk. They weren't obnoxious. They weren't rude. They did nothing wrong. But it did impact the enjoyment of my cruise experience, because my husband wouldn't dance around people who danced so wonderfully.

If I had known that group was going to be on the ship, I probably would have still chosen to go on that cruise, because it was the ony one that fit into our work schedule. But, having been forewarned, I would have had time to change my expectations of our cruise experience (I would have known he wouldn't dance in front of experts), and would have enjoyed it more.

I doubt if you would think it's so "silly" if you'd been on the Cruise From H_ll that this poor family was on!! Go over to the Carnival threads and read all about it. They were on the Carnival Liberty on 8/18. There were 700-800 wild, rude, lewd, thug-like people who terrified the rest of the guests and even the staff was afraid of them!! Once they had an all-out riot with one guy breaking a bottle and threatening others. There was no way anyone could have had a "good time." :(

The link posted only gives a group name of whoever voluntarily adds their group to the site, with no other info.

I have found that using any search engine will get you much more info. Search “cruise” and the date your sailing. You should get a more than just a few links that you can go through rather quickly as wrong destination, cruise line or ship.

Earlier this year there was a report on the HAL board about a group that was able to tie up the Crow's Nest Bar just for their group. Now that would really frost me:mad: , as that is the best venue on their ships for enjoying the water and scenery. Nancy

We were on a cruise several years ago to Hawaii (can't remember if it was Carnival or NCL) and a large group from Mexico too over the ship. The cut to the front of the lines in the buffett, shows, shops, tenders, and literally pushed other passengers and staff. They DEMANDED that the room stewarts rinse their panties in the sink and fold them and put them away, they demanded that the servers in the buffet carry their trays for them while they made their selections from the line, and demanded they carry them to the table, get their drinks, bring them more selections, order whatever they wanted that was not included in the buffet, etc. They intimidated the entire crew and said that they could have them "fired" and thrown off the ship. There were just too many of "them" in the group and too few of "us" not in the group to do much about it expecially with the staff quaking in their boots. After a while we got tired of using our energy to fight for our right and arguing about right and wrong and just spent a lot more time in our cabin. We also would go to dinner at times when we knew "they" would not be present so we would not have all that negative energy. We felt very bad for the staff and tried to give them a break when they were catering to "them" rather than "us".

We didn't bother complaining to our travel agent or the cruise line when we returned, we just decided to move onward and forward. However, our TA called us and said that the cruise line apologized for the service and hassle we put up with and took the initiative to give us a nice onboard cruise credit for our next cruise. I don't know if they gave everyone who was not part of the group this credit or just everyone from my travel agent or what, but we were surprised and happy.

GW

I also noted from the link that their is a group on my sailing they are A Three Mermaid Travel. I wonder how many of them their will be. I was once on a sailing where their was a large group onboard. I really didn't notice that this particular group took over any lounges. They seemed pretty tame and I wouldn't have even noticed if our waiter at dinner hadn't told us thar their was a large group with a lot of special requests onboard. I guess the wait staff was affected more than the passengers on this sailing.

I did read the link on the Carnival Libery sailing and all I can say is that I would have been p.o'd by this. How dare somebody else encroach on your vacation to the point of fear! Unacceptable.

I doubt if you would think it's so "silly" if you'd been on the Cruise From H_ll that this poor family was on!! Go over to the Carnival threads and read all about it. They were on the Carnival Liberty on 8/18. There were 700-800 wild, rude, lewd, thug-like people who terrified the rest of the guests and even the staff was afraid of them!! Once they had an all-out riot with one guy breaking a bottle and threatening others. There was no way anyone could have had a "good time." :(

Were you on the Liberty? Did you see the "700-800 wild, lewd, thug-like people"? Of course you did not, yet you have decided this is what actually happened based on one persons post.

As anyone can see, on any given cruise there are usually multiple groups on board and the vast majority of the time it is individuals, not the entire group that cause problems.

I do not know what occured on the Liberty but to assume the group was "thug-like people" based on the website that advertised the cruise is stretching reality a bit, don't you think. Given the large number of people that view Cruise Critic, Cruise Mates, Cruise-addicts, etc. I am surprised, given the OP's description of the cruise, that more people ON BOARD THE ACTUAL SHIP DURING THE CRUISE have not given their opinions.

Chris

The thread regarding the Carnival Liberty was yanked, but I think many people who did happen to follow it before it was deleted are now concerned about bad behaving groups and want to know if there will be any similar groups on their sailing. While I guess it would be nice to have this information, I don't know how you could tell ahead of time which groups might be the ones to cause problems, unless of course you are familiar with a particular group personally.

Archived