Modern day purpose of formal night?

Anonymous Number

Sorry, I tried to search here for the answer but got...

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\boards9.cruisecritic.com\includes\class_core.php on line 363

... in return.

I've actually always wondered: Is there any definitive answer to what is the modern day purpose of having formal nights on cruises? I realize attendance to the formal dining and captain's party aren't mandatory. I'm kind of thinking they are a nod back to the years of maritime transportation....

Hello,

You are correct. In years past (and still on some ultra luxury cruise ships) you dressed up for dinner. Now, there are formal nights (one to three depending on the length of the cruise) so that persons who enjoy reliving just a little the traditions of the sea, can do so.

Formal nights, to me at least, are fun. And those who do not participate (walking arouund the ship in their casual clothes) have a look on their faces as if to say " I didn't realize that a formal night on a cruise ship is a wonderful party".

Hope that this helps.

Fred

They still have formal nights because many passenger's want to get dressed up on a few nights during the course of a cruise. A cruise is a special occassion and why not have the opportunity to get all dressed up.

Yes, it's also a nice tradition that I hope stays around for a very long time.

Keith

They still have formal nights because many passenger's want to get dressed up on a few nights during the course of a cruise. A cruise is a special occassion and why not have the opportunity to get all dressed up.

Keith

My 18yo son and I just returned from a cruise on Carnival Ecstasy, his first cruise, my 5th, and we decided not to even GO into the dining room at all!! While i have loved dressing up on my past cruises, it was SO nice to just enjoy spending time together and not having to worry about packing all those extra clothes!!:D We eat at nice restaurants somtimes, so dressing up is not a problem, but i have to say i have never had so much room in my suitcase!!:D

I think it is entertainment for passengers provided by the passengers. I'm tired of hauling formal clothes on cruises. We have neighbors out on a Crystal cruise right now. They took no formal clothes at all. It will be interesting to see how they are treated on formal nights as they have cruised on Crystal many times.

Gone are the days when my husband packed a tux to wear once or twice on a cruise.

We avoid cruise lines that 'require' formal wear. Oceania looks good to us now.

Why would we need to have a "definitive answer" to this?

Can't we just enjoy dressing up, looking our best, and behaving properly on one or two nights during a cruise?

For some of us it is fun to dress differently that we do 363 other nights of the year ... 'nuff said.

Why would we need to have a "definitive answer" to this?

Can't we just enjoy dressing up' date=' looking our best, and behaving properly on one or two nights during a cruise?

For some of us it is fun to dress differently that we do 363 other nights of the year ... 'nuff said.[/quote']

I don't think the OP expected a difinitive answer, just was curious as to what we all thought.

I go with the side that says, look nice at night, maybe dress a little nicer a couple of nights but leave the formals, tuxes, heavy shoes etc at home.

For those who prefer formal dress, there is no problem. Go for it, for those who don't, choose a line that has adopted a casual atmosphere as exists in our contemporary world. It is like church, when did the hat, gloves, nylons, suits etc leave the church scene? A long time ago.

Nita

I don't understand in the first place why so many have a problem with formal nites....I was very very nice to see everyone dressed up for 2 nites, even the little kids were dressed...Made for a very festive nite especially since it was Christmas Eve...Maybe its an age thing...People my age don't seem to mind going formal, I know my hubby and I don't...

Sorry if I have stepped on anyones toes, I really enjoy going formal, makes you feel special, and you look GREAT....

I don't see why dressing "formally" is such a big deal, either! It's absolutely NO HARDER to slip on a long gown, than it is to pull on capris and a top! (Granted, for men, there is the extra step of putting on a tie, but c'mon--it's not THAT hard to do!)

I've just never understood why folks make such a big deal about dressing to look really HOT!!!!!

Because its fun!!!! A friend of ours took his two daughters on a cruise and didn't tell them about the formal nights - he just assumed they would go to the buffet instead. Well, all heck broke loose!!! How many times do kids get to wear their prom dresses? They were sooo disappointed! We have formal nights at our club during the season and there is a huge turnout. We also dress for New Years Eve, etc.

It's a nice way of preserving a tradition of cruising, sort of left over from the time when only the wealthy could afford to cruise. It's an opportunity for the casual lifestyle of so many folks to give way to playing "dress-up". It's fun for a lot of us, and for those who participate, we get to feel a bit elegant and see those around us looking elegant.

I'm one who doesn't get the thrill of playing dress up. I do wear formal attire when it is required but honestly don't feel romantic and elegant. I've even read comments in the past here that formal nighst are the highlight of the cruise. Formal nights the HIGHLIGHT of a cruise????

Seems odd doesn't it that a more expensive ship such as Oceania doesn't have formal nights and the less expensive ones still do.

I don't mind putting on better clothes for evening just as if we were going to a excellent restaurant, but going that extra step with formal attire. No, that definitely isn't something I enjoy. Plus the only time I wear formal clothing is on cruises, so I have to take up closet space storing formal clothing, shoes and accessories for use three times a year. Also, one has to be very careful how one packs delicate formal attire.

I would be very glad to end formal nights once and for all. I wouldn't miss formal nights one bit.

And, there's no requirment that you eat in the dining room on formal nights. I was on a cruise recently and met a fellow who traveled with just a carry-on. He never ate evening meals in the main dining room and was just as happy being more flexible with his arrival and departure times since he wasn't worrying about when and if his bags would arrive. Like travel guru Peter Greenburg says "There are two types of luggage, carry-on and lost" I'm gradually winnowing my stuff down to where I should be able to get by with just a carry-on, with one nice dark sport coat and slacks if I want to get dressed up for formal night. After a while it becomes less and less a big deal to get all dressed up, and I'd be just as happy at the buffet....JMHO:rolleyes:

I don't understand the entire concept of formal night. Makes no sense to me.

Back in the old days, before air travel was the primary means of crossing the Atlantic, passenger ships carried everyone

across the ocean. By far, the vast majority of the tens of millions that crossed, traveled in 3rd class, steerage, basic

transportation. The good old days of transatlantic crossings were basic average typical working people that had to get from

point A to point B for work, business or family. They were not out to impress anybody. Doubt that most of them could, even

if they tried to.

Transatlantic crossings were year round, cold weather, rough weather, many people got sick. These were not luxury vacation

cruises with midnight buffets, orchestras, spa treatments, and hot tubs. They were just a week or so of transportation the

only way available.

Yes, there were the Rockefellers and the Astors. The newspapers had a society column that named the rich and famous and

described their outfits and told which ships they would be sailing on. Like the stars of today, they lived their lives

trying to stay in the papers, trying to be famous for being famous and fashionable. These were a small percentage of the

passengers. Between freight and steerage (not much difference between the two from a cruise line perspective) is how the

ships and lines made their money.

In those days one wore a jacket to dinner because it was COLD. You didn't wear shorts to dinner because it would be a fashion

faux pax, but because you would freeze their legs off.

It seems to me that people who cling to formal nights today want to either dress up because they enjoy it and it makes them

feel good, or in some cases, pretend to be a part of the old style wealthy upper crust.

Formal means different things to different people at different times. No need to bundle up in a heavy jacket, vest and tie

in the hot tropical sun, that's not formal, that's a sweaty smelly uncomfortable sticky PITA. The style of today, today's

fashion, that's what people should wear. Nice, clean matching clothes. Look good, smell good, feel good.

The only time anyone would know of a fellow diner were wearing short pants is while they were making the short walk from the

dining room door to the table. Anyone who looks under the table during the meal to see if knees are showing is weird.

Today people cruise for the vacation aspect. There are probably exceptions, but cruisers of today cruise to get away and to

have fun. A cruise is not transportation, but a vacation destination that might visit ports along the way, and then return

to the original port. Six hours in a port is not touring the island. A foo foo drink at Senor Frogs is not mingling with

the natives, cave tubing is not Indiana Jones, swimming in Cozumel is not archeology.... It's a fun vacation. Nothing wrong

with that; it's a good thing. And today, with the millions of people that cruise, no one will be impressed and awed if they

find out that we went on a cruise. The big deal is that it is a nice, fun, relaxing vacation with other fun people that are

looking to make friends and have a good time.

I too don't like dressing up. I do it, so as not to offend, but only for that reason. I have never enjoyed going formal; it is completely alien to me, and I look and feel ridiculous. I also have bad ankles, and having to wear non-supportive flats -- or worse,heels -- adds up to an evening of torture.

On one cruise we decided not to bring formal wear. We were really sorry that we didn't and felt left out. We have decided that we don't like "Freestyle" or as you wish cruising. We like to dress up we like to "people watch".

I think it's all part of the tradition and romance of cruising.

I really do not care about formal nights but do believe that if ships choose to have them, then the attire for the evening should be required. Sitting next to people in jeans on a formal night is a bit of a joke.

Most lines do nothing to enforce the dress code on any night any more so the concept and purpose of formal nights - IMO, to preserve a time honored cruising tradition - is lost anyway. Really, why bother when the new generation of cruisers seems to (1) not be interested, (2) ignore the formal nights anyway.

I predict formal nights will go the way of assigned seating and scheduled dining times, another aspect of cruising that is changing. Photos and tux rentals are all revenue opportunities for the cruise lines and this is probably why they are holding on, at least to some degree.

To the poster who said her friends are on Crystal with no formal wear, I would be curious to know if they were allowed to walk about the ship in the evenings attired informally, as Crystal has always been a sticker for proper attire (a positive thing, IMO).

I am very happy on lines that have no formal nights, but still provide the elegant and high quality dining room experience of years past. If I am on a line that has formal nights, I will dress as requested and enjoy doing so. I am fine either way.

I don't think the OP expected a difinitive answer, just was curious as to what we all thought.

I go with the side that says, look nice at night, maybe dress a little nicer a couple of nights but leave the formals, tuxes, heavy shoes etc at home.

Nita

Since when have formal shoes been 'heavy'? I venture to suggest that both ladies and men take at least one pair of shoes with them anyway, for 'regular wear', on cruises that might be worn on formal night, and if a mans shoe is so heavy, don't pack a pair, just wear them to the ship!

john

Hello,

As someone who enjoys formal nights and has carried dress up clothes to many ports all over the world it is my opinion (and only mine) that cruise lines will get rid of formal nights when the majority of their passengers indicate that they don't want it anymore. My DW and I especially enjoy the traditional aspects of cruises, and if we want to wear jeans at dinner we go to Las Vegas or Sedona, or to Hawaii, where non dressing up is expected.

And when they do get rid of formal nights, the beautiful dining rooms will be the next to go. Why have a nice level of food and service, when your passengers want to eat in the bufffet and are very satisfied carrying their own trays? Jeans, shorts and tank tops in the dining room at dinner, why not? No need for fine china and cloth napkins when paper plates and paper napkins will do just fine.

If you get rid of the traditional aspects of cruising, you are in a sense cheapening the product. Not so long ago airline travel was both a treat and a necessity. Today the pleasant aspects of airline travel is all but completely gone. Keep up your agitation for cruises to become just another vacation in terms of clothes,food and service, and cruises will lose much of what makes a cruise so special. I am sure that ultra uxury cruise lines will always have formal nights but my comments are directed to the premium lines... Celebrity, Princess, and HAL.

A question...how is Oceania faring financially (going to an all casual clothes policy)?

Fred

We consider our many cruises special vacations. We like traditional dining - fixed time, same tablemates, etc. Formal nights are a treat. My DH looks soooo good in a tux! ;) A 7 day Princess cruise used to include 2 formal nights and an additional semi-formal night where men were expected to wear jacket and tie. Now they have done away with that and only left the two formal nights. I hope they continue. They are one of the fun parts of cruising.

Archived