Why do people get drunk on a cruise?

Browezilla

Hi,

Why do people get drunk on a cruise? I'm curious to hear from those that actually do get drunk on a cruise to understand the rationale.

Cheers,

B

I can't understand why people want to get drunk ever, whether they're on a cruise or not. It generally costs a fair bit of money and they feel like hell afterwards. :eek: Where's the fun in that? :confused:

BUT...

That said, I'm a runner. I go out in the cold and rain in winter and the blistering heat of summer and run myself into the ground. :eek: And I'm sure tons of people would ask me the exact same question. Where's the fun in that?:confused:

To which my reply would be: I just like it, I enjoy it and it makes me feel good. (honest...)

SO...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think it's just a case of different people get their kicks in different ways.

The first thing my DH and I do on a vacation is head for the bar for a nice margarita- one my goals on a cruise is to maintain a nice b&b (buzz & a book) by pool for most of the day. Can't do that at home. Now drunk, on the other hand, to me means staggering, upchucking, & unpleasant, I can't see that being anyone's goal, but a well maintained week long buzz is something you just can't put a price on! lol(sort of)

I'm trying to figure out why non-smoking, non-drinking, non-gambling, Bible thumpers try to be judgemental and impose their will on me.

I'm a non-drinker, non-smoker and non-gambler, and I sure as heck am no "Bible thumper." Some Bible thumpers do drink and smoke and some non-drinkers, non-smokers are not Bible thumpers.

I'm a non-drinker, non-smoker and non-gambler, and I sure as heck am no "Bible thumper." Some Bible thumpers do drink and smoke and some non-drinkers, non-smokers are not Bible thumpers.

Thank you!! A person can be saved, and still not live like a Puritan. :) I want to live, before I die.

We take advantage of the designated driver :D ;)

###

The first thing my DH and I do on a vacation is head for the bar for a nice margarita- one my goals on a cruise is to maintain a nice b&b (buzz & a book) by pool for most of the day. Can't do that at home. Now drunk, on the other hand, to me means staggering, upchucking, & unpleasant, I can't see that being anyone's goal, but a well maintained week long buzz is something you just can't put a price on! lol(sort of)

I can't understand why people want to get drunk ever, whether they're on a cruise or not. It generally costs a fair bit of money and they feel like hell afterwards. :eek: Where's the fun in that? :confused:

BUT...

That said, I'm a runner. I go out in the cold and rain in winter and the blistering heat of summer and run myself into the ground. :eek: And I'm sure tons of people would ask me the exact same question. Where's the fun in that?:confused:

To which my reply would be: I just like it, I enjoy it and it makes me feel good. (honest...)

SO...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think it's just a case of different people get their kicks in different ways.

Some interesting (and for once somewhat useful) replies.

As always, sometimes people just do not understand reasoning behind persons being upset with policy changes. Before the policy change, my husband and I were able to bring aboard a few of our own choices of wine to enjoy with dinner, paying a corkage fee for the priviledge. We did not have to "smuggle" then and we don't care to do it now. To be honest with you, it was not only a way to save a few $$, but we had a far better selection of wine than RCI has on their wine list. Never were you allowed to bring aboard your own liquor.

But, you're not a drinker, so you probably wouldn't notice the difference like we do. We were annoyed by the change, but stick to the rules they have put forth......

While there are some folks out there who are complete tea-totalers, the point of this thread was asking about WHY some people seem to push drinking to the extreme (falling down, getting sick public drunkeness)

We do drink on occassion but drinking to excess is not a requisite to our enjoyment of a vacation. We too had taken special wines on-board and paid corkage fees when that was a option. We have also purchased some "passable" wines in the Dining room. But when RCCI changed their rules, we dealt with it. If it was something that was going to ruin my vacation, I'd be sailing on another line.

I don't think there are too many of us out here who would advocate a dry society. This IS a topic where there is considerable "grey area" between the "Black" of the tea-tottling and the "White" of puking, sloppy drunkeness. I can enjoy a good glass of wine with dinner, or a nice margarita while reading a good book in the shade (while not a tea totaller, I am sun adverse!) -- BUT I can also enjoy dinner or spend time relaxing without. A nice iced tea or a cup of chai is also enjoyable.

PS -- I've seen some of the specialty drink prices and I do appreciate the heavy drinkers for subsidizing my cruise!

I'm trying to figure out why non-smoking, non-drinking, non-gambling, Bible thumpers try to be judgemental and impose their will on me.

I find this to be a very offensive, rude, judgemental, and intolerant statement!

How do you know what the OP's religion is??? And even if the OP does believe in the Bible (which we have no clue about), what gives you the right to insult a certain religious group?? And where was anything mentioned about smoking or gambling?? And where did it say that the OP wanted to "impose" their "will" on you or anyone else??

This reply sounds like it comes from a very bigoted person who stereotypes other people and must feel guilty for indulging in the practices that were mentioned. Why else would they bring them up and make such a defensive statement??

Many people choose not to drink, smoke, or gamble - those with addictions to them, people of many faiths (Muslims and some Christians), and others who just don't feel a need to do them. Many posters have said "just mind your own business" to the OP - well, that would be good advice for klfrodo too!! :cool:

I skimmed the replies so i apologize if i am repeating what someone else has said. One reason some people get falling down, sloppy drunk is becasue they are addicted to alcohol. some of these people can be seen fallen down drunk anywhere and everywhere. To them, there is no difference between land and water.

ok, let me tell you something about drinking and drinkers. (if you really want to know, and are not just trying to stir things up.)

people get drunk on a cruise because they get drunk when they're at home. they are certainly not going to stop while on vacation. if anything, they'll do it a bit more.

i was wondering what cruise lines the OP has gone on, that the OP notices (and obviously is annoyed by) people getting drunk. take a look at my previous cruises. i have never seen drunk cruisers.

hmmm...

maybe the OP has only one sailing to judge by...

Hi,

Why do people get drunk on a cruise? I'm curious to hear from those that actually do get drunk on a cruise to understand the rationale.

Cheers,

B

Honest it wasn't planned, but there were 2 pub crawls on our cruise and we did them both:o

I did not plan on drinking at all on the cruise, and very rarely do at home.

We've seen very few drunk people on our cruises, but maybe that's because we tend to go to bed early. The partying probably takes place while we are catching some ZZZZZZZZZ's.

Even so, we do drink a little more while on a cruise as compared to at home. I think the reasons include that we are relaxed and can take the time to sit and enjoy a few drinks. The shipboard atmosphere is conducive to a higher level of consumption. And we don't have to worry about a designated driver.

But I'm fifty-something and can count on one hand the number of times I've ever been "drunk" and those are decades in the past. In our circles, mature people don't "get drunk" unless they actually have an alcohol problem. I would feel sorry for those folks, but avoid them.

It is what it all comes down to. Some people enjoy getting tipsy and cutting loose considering they don't have to drive anywhere. It is how a person decides to spend their vacation. How I see it, if someone gets too drunk, they should go back to their room and sleep it off, thus not messing with anyone elses vacation plans! Everyone laid out some hard earned cash to go on the cruise and they should be able to spend their day however they see fit.;)

I find this to be a very offensive, rude, judgemental, and intolerant statement!

I don't find any of what you said to be true.

Stereotypically, the bible thumpers are the ones that are intolerant, and impose their CHOSEN religious dogma on others, be it verbally or with non-approving glares.

Religious beliefs should remain personal and those who do not SPECIFICALLY ask for information on a CHOSEN belief should not be bombarded with religious conversation or beliefs.

Being said, there are MANY religious people, thumpers or not that pick and choose what they feel is or is not offensive. I know plenty of people who practice the jewish faith that eat pork,as well as many christians that gamble, smoke, drink, divorce and cheat on their spouses....however it is those who preach the loudest that have the most to hide, and they are usually "thumpers" IMHO. I have also experienced 'those' people on a ship and ended up reporting them for their preaching and they were disciplined.

So personally I find YOUR remark off key, and beligerant.

This thread is about WHY certain people choose to OVER indulge on a cruise ship, when they NORMALLY don't do so in their daily lives. I don't find that offensive, or in bad taste.

I think the best comment I've read so far is:

"We take advantage of the designated driver :D ;) "

Simple as that:)

Dave:eek:

I don't find any of what you said to be true.

Stereotypically, the bible thumpers are the ones that are intolerant, and impose their CHOSEN religious dogma on others, be it verbally or with non-approving glares.

Religious beliefs should remain personal and those who do not SPECIFICALLY ask for information on a CHOSEN belief should not be bombarded with religious conversation or beliefs.

Being said, there are MANY religious people, thumpers or not that pick and choose what they feel is or is not offensive. I know plenty of people who practice the jewish faith that eat pork,as well as many christians that gamble, smoke, drink, divorce and cheat on their spouses....however it is those who preach the loudest that have the most to hide, and they are usually "thumpers" IMHO. I have also experienced 'those' people on a ship and ended up reporting them for their preaching and they were disciplined.

So personally I find YOUR remark off key, and beligerant.

This thread is about WHY certain people choose to OVER indulge on a cruise ship, when they NORMALLY don't do so in their daily lives. I don't find that offensive, or in bad taste.

I think the best comment I've read so far is:

"We take advantage of the designated driver :D ;) "

Simple as that:)

Dave:eek:

You're right - it is very stereotyping to say that "bible thumpers are the ones that are intolerant, and impose their CHOSEN religious dogma on others, be it verbally or with non-approving glares". Stereotyping is always wrong, distasteful, and hurtful. Maybe you should practice some of the tolerance that you seem to desire from others. :rolleyes:

I think the real question is "why is it your business?"

Why do people wear thong or teenie bathing suits when clearly their body is not designed for them. I find that offensive.

Whether I do anything is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

The ranting is over, but sometimes I really have to wonder about why other people feel it is their right to judge others.

hello pot, where's your friend kettle?:rolleyes:

i was wondering what cruise lines the OP has gone on, that the OP notices (and obviously is annoyed by) people getting drunk. take a look at my previous cruises. i have never seen drunk cruisers. hmmm... maybe the OP has only one sailing (or one cruise line) to judge by...

I notice you have not sailed Carnival..... neither have we.... for that specific reason.

We have had some isolated experiences.... one was watching all the drunks coming back from Senor Frogs and tossing each other into the pool.

Another was a table of eight next to us at dinner in the dining room who were consuming excess amounts of alcohol and being noisy and boisterous. We mentioned our displeasure to the matre'd and he took care of the problem. The following nights they were more constrained and less noisy.

I notice you have not sailed Carnival..... neither have we.... for that specific reason.

We have had some isolated experiences.... one was watching all the drunks coming back from Senor Frogs and tossing each other into the pool.

Another was a table of eight next to us at dinner in the dining room who were consuming excess amounts of alcohol and being noisy and boisterous. We mentioned our displeasure to the matre'd and he took care of the problem. The following nights they were more constrained and less noisy.

I would not limit drunkenness to a certain line. Last year I spent two hours in Cozumel watching drunks stagger back to the QM2.

Okay, I'll enter the fray.

Why do people get drunk on cruises - not drinking, not tipsy, but drunk. I agree with others - it's because they might have a problem and not recognize it. We just had to fire an actress who had a drinking problem. She was desperate for the role, worked hard to get it and then started showing up drunk to rehearesals every night. It was clearly not because she wanted to because she knew the repercussions.

Other folks drink to excess because they want to and enjoy it. That's their right as long as no laws are being broken and that's cool with me too

Before anyone flies further off the handle, I have a brother dying because of his alcoholism and lost an uncle to it as well. I dri am very careful to monitor my drinking habits since we have a propensity for it in our family.

A very content pagan,

Charlie

Archived