How long before Hal changes and allows shorts in the dining room ?

Odd Ball

For an additional fee, perhaps $20 per night. That way, everyone gets something they want. The folks who want formal, fine dining get that. The folks who want to save money get that. And the cruise line gets more revenue, making it acceptable for them to make the change in that direction.

Um, no. I'd suggest that those who want the fast food "experience" get to pay extra since it's the "change" from the way things are done.

Um, no. I'd suggest that those who want the fast food "experience" get to pay extra since it's the "change" from the way things are done.

Now now, Dave, you know that the essence of "dumbing down" is that what one used to be able to get included in the price NOW costs more precisely because they're providing a less-quality item or service for the inclusive price. Yes, more options are provided, but the lowest common denominator is what will be "included." Anything more -- even if it was what was there to begin with -- will now cost more.

I remember when specialty coffee on Celebrity came with a Cova chocolate. I remember when specialty coffee on HAL was complimentary. Dining was fixed, free and elegant. Even dining in the Odyssey restaurant on the Rotterdam VI was offered at no extra charge.

Once traditional dining is eliminated, we enter a whole new world of possibilities - and as far as I am concerned AYW dining is a harbinger of just that.

While it may be nice to have "complimentary" chocolates with your coffee, "complimentary" coffee, etc. none of it is actually comlimentary at all. In order to keep cruise fares down these things are now being charged for but make no mistake you'd pay one way or the other.

As someone new to cruising I simply cannot imagine having to eat at a set time each night. Activity schedules, shore excursions, and of course hunger don't align to a fixed dining schedule. I vacation to get away from the fixed schedules that rule our daily lives! I simply don't see how allowing flexibility in dining TIMES is a harbinger of anything other than flexible dining times...

As someone new to cruising I simply cannot imagine having to eat at a set time each night.

Po-tay-to, po-tah-to

I can't imagine having to worry each day about where and when I'm going to eat, whether or not the service will be what I expect, etc. Its so much more relaxing to know that I'll go to my cabin for a shower around 6, head to the Crow's Nest for drinks and hors d'oeuvres at 7 then mosey into the dining room around 8 with my table waiting and a smiling steward wishing me good evening (by name), asking about our excursion into town in search of the perfect souvenir (which we'd discussed the night before) and having our favorite beverages ready and waiting.

Its about a lot more than simply "fueling up".

Po-tay-to, po-tah-to

I can't imagine having to worry each day about where and when I'm going to eat, whether or not the service will be what I expect, etc. Its so much more relaxing to know that I'll go to my cabin for a shower around 6, head to the Crow's Nest for drinks and hors d'oeuvres at 7 then mosey into the dining room around 8 with my table waiting and a smiling steward wishing me good evening (by name), asking about our excursion into town in search of the perfect souvenir (which we'd discussed the night before) and having our favorite beverages ready and waiting.

But isn't the point of AYW that it allows both you and me to enjoy the experience we each want (at least in theory)? I simply don't understand the idea or opinion that dress codes, extra charges for perks, or any other negative impact has anything to do with allowing those of us who wish to dine at different times in the dining room to do so.

But isn't the point of AYW that it allows both you and me to enjoy the experience we each want (at least in theory)? I simply don't understand the idea or opinion that dress codes, extra charges for perks, or any other negative impact has anything to do with allowing those of us who wish to dine at different times in the dining room to do so.

The option of dining when you'd like was available before this change. Each evening, the Lido was converted to a restaurant setting (tablecloths, etc.) and served most of what was on the DR menu.

What's changed is that, it appears, many who prefer traditional dining are not getting that option. So, no, it really isn't "As You Wish" for many people.

Po-tay-to, po-tah-to

Dave, my thoughts exactly!:) You are so right , it's about so much more than "fueling up" ;) .

Traditional dining, for us, is the epitome of relaxation while on vacation.

Dave, my thoughts exactly!:) You are so right , it's about so much more than "fueling up" ;) .

Traditional dining, for us, is the epitome of relaxation while on vacation.

I totally agree. Tradional dining is one of the things that makes cruising special for me.

The option of dining when you'd like was available before this change. Each evening, the Lido was converted to a restaurant setting (tablecloths, etc.) and served most of what was on the DR menu.

Problem with that is HAL should have expanded it. They should have extended the hours and then offered some table service. The way it is set up now, the hours are very limited ... something like 6:00 p.m. to 7:30, and the venue is pretty much buffet. Lots of people don't want buffet when they are on vacation and that's why they have demanded a flexible dining option in the main dining rooms.

If the Lido became the true "As You Wish" venue, offering table service and extended hours for dinner, I think people would have had no problem with using that as their flexible dining option.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Problem with that is HAL should have expanded it. They should have extended the hours and then offered some table service. The way it is set up now, the hours are very limited ... something like 6:00 p.m. to 7:30.....

Blue skies ...--rita

The Lido dinner hours have been expanded. It opens around 5 and stays open till 9:30 +/-.

And whose to say it isn't time for a change?

Not trying to fight with you, just saying that if HAL is getting an overwhelming demand via customer surveys for flexible dining, then flexible dining will become the new "standard," and it is the ones who want things the "old way," fixed traditional dining with nightly dress codes who will be expected to pay extra. And, honestly, that's probably how it should be.

Now I have a suggestion! You know how RCI has Johnny Rockets Restaurants on their ships? How about HAL installing a MacDonald's? :)

Just kidding ... (as I run for cover) ... :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

May I ask why you like HAL?
Because it was less expensive than Royal Caribbean, NCL and Carnival. That's why.

Why do YOU feel HAL is better then Carnival? I ask this because you find my idea of why to be foolish.
No, not at all. Rather, I find your idea of why to be "personal". The extent to which people do or do not share your perspective will determine how much that perspective will prevail. Rolling back to your point about "ambiance", and stacking it up against my point about "less expensive", which perspective is more commonly held, i.e., which one will provide the best service to the cruise line's owners? That's the whole context of my statements in that regard.

I am not a seafood lover-but my hubby is-but no he would not go for seafood at Applebees or Ruby Tuesdays.
My point is that I see a difference between the two, i.e., one is better than the other.

I hope that's a bit clearer. :confused:

Plus Bicker is from Boston-so why in the WORLD would he go to Ruby Tuesday's for seafood? There has to be many restuarants in Boston that have fresh seafood.
I don't go to Ruby Tuesday here in Boston, but rather in Knoxville TN.

Uh, no. That won't make sense. The more expensive-to-provide service -- the one that takes up more space, requires more personal service, involves more expensive ingredients, etc. -- that's the one that should cost more. I cannot imagine the foundation for your assertion to the contrary. It is utterly bewildering.

I don't go to Ruby Tuesday here in Boston, but rather in Knoxville TN.
The only Ruby Tuesdays I've visited have been in Pentagon City and Bucharest, Romania. (Bucharest was a surprise!)

I much prefer Saltgrass here in Texas! :)

This was the first time in 41 years havent taken a cruise.

Know what? Didn't miss it.

The service we received at hotels surpassed any we had since auto tipping began on HAL.

People dressed. Food superb. Ambience wasn't kitchy. And no hawking for cheap products.

Above all else, it cost less than a cruise. Way less.

There are alternatives.

Above all else, it cost less than a cruise. Way less.

With all due respect Mariner, most passengers do not sail in the cabin class that you do nor do they spend a small fraction of what you do, when onboard.

Because it was less expensive than Royal Caribbean, NCL and Carnival. That's why.

No, not at all. Rather, I find your idea of why to be "personal". The extent to which people do or do not share your perspective will determine how much that perspective will prevail. Rolling back to your point about "ambiance", and stacking it up against my point about "less expensive", which perspective is more commonly held, i.e., which one will provide the best service to the cruise line's owners? That's the whole context of my statements in that regard.

If HAL is less expensive it is just certain last minute cruises that have not sold well, so the prices are dropped-HAL is more expensive normally except for RCI ofcourse which is way overpriced even on their old ships.

Now you are just being silly -do you genuinely belive that. Ofcourse i know you enough tto know you will argue with a signpost.

I don't understand you Bicker. You are very inteilligent-I can tell from many of your posts- so why make yourself look so foolish in other posts?

Archived