Taking ID off the ship

drcbelle

We are sailing on the Crown in October which stops at St Thomas, St Martin, and Grand Turk. Do we need to take our passports off the ship with us or is our driver's license sufficient? I am mostly concerned about St Martin as we are going to be on our own and not with a ship excursion. Thanks!

We are sailing on the Crown in October which stops at St Thomas, St Martin, and Grand Turk. Do we need to take our passports off the ship with us or is our driver's license sufficient? I am mostly concerned about St Martin as we are going to be on our own and not with a ship excursion. Thanks!

No passports, just a gov't issued ID, drivers License etc.

We never take our passports ashore. ;)

I don't know what others would recommend, but whenever traveling in a foreign country, I always bring my passport with me when touring.

You never know when something might happen to leave you stranded or you might have an accident. Having it on you could save you lots of time and energy.

I also prefer it because then I don't have to stress about leaving it behind and risking theft. (i'm just naturally a worrier.)

Although the official word is that they're "not required", we got ours for the purpose of being able to fly home from another country. If, due to an emergency, we couldn't get back on the ship, I'd want to be able to get on a plane to leave the island! I always take my passport.

We take our DL and Sea pass, and leave our passports in our cabin safe.

Remember that St Thomas is not a foreign country, so no passport needed to fly home from there. In St. Maarten and Grand Turk, it's up to you what you feel more comfortable with.

Technically the only thing you need to get back on the ship is your cruise card. Of course the cruise card isn't a widely accepted form of identification anywhere but on the ship nor is likely your local drivers license.

I would suggest taking in addition your cruise card, your drivers license, ATM card, copy of your passport, and a visa/MC and local currency of course :D

People debate often the merits of taking or not taking your passport. My last two cruises, the passport was taken by the ship and held for most of the cruise, so that wasn't even an option. I guess policy must change for lines and ships. Personally the risk getting your passport stolen I think is higher then missing the boat. I will bet that on EVERY cruise someone gets something stolen in port, but on most cruises nobody gets left behind.

Lastly if your cruise ship takes your passport they likely have port agents that would assist you in x-border transportation in the very unlike chance you miss the boat.

Of course people at high risk for whatever reason could have other reason that overide common practice

I always take my passport with me when going ashore; I never take my driver's license on my cruise at all; I'm not going to be driving so I won't need it. When making a couple purchases in the duty-free shops on Grand Cayman, the sales clerk did need my SeaPass card information for her paperwork.

The govt issued photo ID is not a requirement to get back onto the ship. Only the Sea Pass is needed for that.

However, in most ports, the ship is in a secure and protected area, usually fenced off (or similarly secluded). It's the local port authority that requires the Photo ID before they will allow you into the secure area to approach the ship for boarding. It is only required for those 16 and older.

I don't know what others would recommend, but whenever traveling in a foreign country, I always bring my passport with me when touring.

You never know when something might happen to leave you stranded or you might have an accident. Having it on you could save you lots of time and energy.

I also prefer it because then I don't have to stress about leaving it behind and risking theft. (i'm just naturally a worrier.)

I'm with you! I wouldn't even consider going ashore in a foreign port without it. Don't worry about it getting stolen if I leave in the safe on the ship, but I'd sure hate to be without it if something went wrong ashore in a foreign country.

Does that make me a natural worrier too? :)

We ALWAYS bring our passports while on shore. God forbod smething happens - medical emergency, accident on a cab or bus, and we either have to fly o the next port, or fly home or be medically evacuated, you can not fly home or to the next port without a passport (orignal). We won't ever take that chance!

I read about a neat idea on CC and this is what we do...

We made a reduced copy of the information page of the passport, folded it in half to credit card size, and laminated it! Now, one side has the page with my picture and the other side is the page with my signature. Perfect for carrying with us off the ship.

Thanks cruise critic member whoever you are!

I read about a neat idea on CC and this is what we do...

We made a reduced copy of the information page of the passport, folded it in half to credit card size, and laminated it! Now, one side has the page with my picture and the other side is the page with my signature. Perfect for carrying with us off the ship.

Thanks cruise critic member whoever you are!

We did that a couple of years ago and it has been widely accepted. It is an exact color duplicate of our passports laminated and we carry it in the little Princess ID folder along with our cruise card. All the information is on it so if you were to need a duplicate passport while abroad the Embassy would have all the info needed to expedite the process.

Mike:)

We take our passports AND a credit card off the ship with us and leave a COPY of our passport in the room safe.

If we were unable to get back to the ship before it left, a drivers license isn't going to get you flown to the next port in a foreign country - you need your passport.

We leave a copy of our passport in the room safe so if our passport does get lost while we are off the ship, it is a lot easier to get a replacement if you have a copy of your original.

We take our passports, plus emergency medications. One never knows what might happen. I had a friend who fell and broke her ankle on a shore excursion, and they wouldn't let her back on the ship before she was flown home from that port. Her husband was allowed back on to pack up their stuff, but there was some delay.

Archived