Repositioning cruises

Starlaker

Many of the repostioning cruises are longer than 5 days. Repo cruises are mostly when ships are moved from on area to another. Ships go to Europe and Alaska each spring and return to the warmer areas in the fall. They do the opposite with South America.

Repo cruises are not called that by Princess. You have to flip thru the catalog to find when a ship finishes its seasonal run (say Alaska). The next cruise will be the repo. If from Alaska it might take the Panama Canal route to the Caribbean.

Many Transatlantic cruises are of the repo type.

Steve

I know this will sound self-serving, but the easiest way I know is to contact an experienced TA, who will have this information readily available. No cost involved; if you then want to compare prices, extras, etc., you're free to do so.

I know this will sound self-serving, but the easiest way I know is to contact an experienced TA, who will have this information readily available. No cost involved; if you then want to compare prices, extras, etc., you're free to do so.

Wanna bet? You know how many TA's out there won't know?

Wanna bet? You know how many TA's out there won't know?

Find the ones that don't work for an internet only company, that are experienced, that have been on cruises, etc. Call or go to a brink and morter agency and almost always you will find experienced agents.

Accidently found out about a 3 day one last year. It went from San Francisco to Vancouver over the Mother's Day weekend. I took my daughter(adult) with me last year. We live right by San Francisco so only needed a one way flight.

We had such a great time that I rebooked the same cruise for this year as soon as I got back. We are taking another 'mother & daughter' with us. It is passing by S.F. this year. We have to pick it up in Los Angeles. It is a 5 day cruise, again over the Mother's Day weekend. We get a FULL day in Victoria. That's a rarity nowadays.

Just booked a 1 day repositioning cruise today Vancouver to Seattle May 9/09

Tried online agents, Princess web site and finally called Princess direct and got the best deal for an inside cabin for $118.39 CAN per person. With my $25 US referral reward (31.25 Can) my final cost was $87.14 incl. Govt fees & taxes

The great thing about this 1 day cruise is that it will count as one more cruise towards our Captain's Circle rewards program- one more cruise nearer to Platinum :D

Since you will be sailing on 2/28 why not check with the future cruise desk staff while you are onboard? If anyone should know, he/she should be able to help you. They are Princess employees, available about 8 hours a day, and it is a FREE service. If you find something you like you can always book onboard, then transfer to any travel agent. Used to offer reduced deposits and other incentives to book while you are on the ship.

Just go to various internet travel sites and the cruise line sites and search for "transatlantic" or transpacific, usually over 10 days and at the very beginning or end of the season. For example, many of the Holland ships leave Europe in November and move to the caribbean. In fact, I have found cruises that the discounters have prices on that don't show up easily on the cruise line sites. You just have to do your homework. We have a 16 day from Rome to NY for $649 each. nIty's in November, so we won't get the advantage of the pools or great weather, but you can't beat these prices

And, believe it or not i have found at least 1 that appears in none of the us issued brochures and must be booked via uk, it is 23 nights repo out of barbados to the west coast, 02may09 sea princess.

This one is listed on the Princess site as a 22 day Barbados to San Francisco cruise.

We love these repo cruises, we tend to do the Pacific coastal ones and try to do both the spring and fall one.

It does take some exploring to find them some sites give more info than others - but once you see a ship moving to a different area just check the sailing that will get you to that new area.

We live in Vancouver and would love to sail from Seattle to Vancouver then down to LA but the Jones act prevents that so we sail Seattle to Vancouver on one ship, overnight in Vancouver, then sail the next day to LA on a different ship. With the added night at a nice hotel in Vancouver (which often costs the same as the 3 day cruise for one person) it makes a great little vacation.

Archived