Favorite Menu Items?

ore-ee-gun

Hi All,

We're taking our first Princess cruise later this month on the Golden, and I'm wondering what the "don't-miss" menu items are. I looked at a sample menu on their website, and was delighted to see that they have cold fruit soups - I hope they're as yummy as they sound!

Also, are the upcharge restaurants worth a visit? Thanks!

Hi All,

We're taking our first Princess cruise later this month on the Golden, and I'm wondering what the "don't-miss" menu items are. I looked at a sample menu on their website, and was delighted to see that they have cold fruit soups - I hope they're as yummy as they sound!

I am a big fan of the cold soups, and never thought I would be, but they are great. I'm a big fan of the Fettucini Alfredo, the onion Soup, and the Prime Rib. I also get the Love Boat Dream each night for dessert. In the International Cafe area (which I think they are adding to the Golden), the Chicken Salad is wonderful, and they have the best brownies.

Mike

One of my favorites is the crab quiche appetizer they have one evening. If you like crab, make sure you order that.

Another favorite are their baked potatoes. I don't know what they do different, but they are really good. Even if they are not on the menu, you can order one with your meal.

The crab legs are really good, and they even crack them for you! If you're going to Alaska, the lobster is the best. On the east coast or the Carribbean, I didn't think the lobster was as good.

I also love the Love Boat Dream dessert. It's even better if you get a scoop of vanilla ice cream. As odd as this sounds, it's not as rich when you add the ice cream.

They're also known for their souffle desserts. These are good, but I'm not big on souffles. If you like them, though, they are probably some of the best.

On the east coast or the Carribbean, I didn't think the lobster was as good.
Agreed... They have a way of taking a perfectly good lobster tail and making it nearly inedible.

The Fettuccine Alfredo, crab legs, and rack of lamb are our favorites.

Lew

Hi All,

Sabatini's -- most definitely! But we'd still do the Steakhouse too

Maybe on your first Princess cruise I pick only one and make that Sabatini's. :)

I think about their soufflés to this day.

An absolutely MUST.

*mouth watering*

The dinners are really good. I actually typed up the new menus for 7-day cruises, based on what I had seen from pictures on a recent Sapphire trip, on my computer, but I'm not sure how to attach them onto here :D

All these sound sooo good! I love souffles, so I'll definitely try that. BTW, what is the Love Boat Dream Dessert?

Love Boat Dream is dessert that is available every evening. It is chocolate and wonderful

I had wondered the same thing a couple hours ago...I was able to do a Forum Search for "Favorite Foods". This is the list of dishes I wrote down to bring along with us.

From the International Cafe:

Warm Chocolate Chip Cookies

Shrimp Salad Sandwich

Greek Feta Salad

From the Dining Room (I think!)

Fettucine Alfredo (Many votes for this!)

Eggplant Parmesean (many votes for this)

Twice Baked Goat Cheese Souffle

Lamb Shanks (or any lamb dish)

Farfalle al Rustica (veal, mushrooms, peas and parmesean)

Not sure what the International Cafe is, but now I'm off to see if the Sea Princess has one!

Cheryl

On my recent Sapphire cruise, the French onion soup was to die for: thick, rich, with lots of onions, and a baked cheese crust (no soggy bread.) It was fabulous. The lamb chops were also excellent. Stay away from the "homestyle meatloaf" -- it was awful: pink (meatloaf is never pink) and looked/tasted like Spam.

All these sound sooo good! I love souffles, so I'll definitely try that. BTW, what is the Love Boat Dream Dessert?

It's chocolate mousse on a brownie (they call it a brownie, but to me it's more like a chocolate pie crust). It's shaped like a heart. Very yummy!

Mike

As mentioned above, the Fettucinne Alfredo is absolutely the BEST I've ever tasted. Don't miss it. I had a small portion every night with dinner, no problem.

The best dessert I had was the Coffee Creme Brulé, absolutely decadent and creamy. Delicious!

Have a great cruise.

A double shrimp cocktail at dinner each night to kick off the nightly feast.

I don't eat desserts..so always assorted cheeses and crackers to finish the meal and to finish off the red wine!

I had never tried their pasta until the last night of my last cruise, and I couldn't believe what I was missing out on.

I also really liked the Chicken Kiev, but it looks like it's off the new menus (which I finally posted :D).

On my recent Sapphire cruise, the French onion soup was to die for: thick, rich, with lots of onions, and a baked cheese crust (no soggy bread.) It was fabulous. The lamb chops were also excellent. Stay away from the "homestyle meatloaf" -- it was awful: pink (meatloaf is never pink) and looked/tasted like Spam.

I love french onion soup, adding it to my list!

Pam- On your Zuiderdam cruise next year....We did the same itinerary on the Volendam last year, LOVED it. Yesterday, I looked at the Zuiderdam and Noordam departing on 4/4/10. I am forever happy looking to book the next vacation! Enjoy your MANY upcoming sailings!

Cheryl

Twice Baked Goat Cheese Souffle

Oh that stuff is yummy!!

I think I pick something different every time someone posts this question, so for tonight, my favorite is the asparagus and chicken risotto. I don't think you'll find it on the 7-day menus, though.

Be sure to try the ice cream and sorbet that is freshly made onboard. You will find it on the lunch and dinner dining room menus and (a sundae bar) in the buffet somewhere around the 3-4 pm.

Another vote for the fettucine alfredo -- ask for it "in the parmesan bowl"! :D

Also, another vote for the eggplant parmesan!

As other have said, the chilled soups and the sorbets are excellent.

I've also really enjoyed the Beef Wellington (Crown & Island -- though others have posted they didn't like it).

There are so many goodies to choose from:rolleyes:

I have had some really interesting and delicious items in the dining room at lunch. On our last cruise there was a appetizer that was lightly fried but light polenta with a mild gorgonzola sauce that was YUM!!! Still thinking about it!!! The rice pudding in the dining room at lunch was heavenly.

All of the ice creams and sorbets are fantastic. I think I will go get a snack now - all these memories are making me hungry:D

Any of the souffles

Cream of mushroom soup (doesn't sound all that interesting does it?)

Duck - if you ask, they'll make sure it's crispy

Pecan pie

French toast

Lamb - leg of, rack of, doesn't matter. Both are great

Those chilled fruit soups you asked about - yum!

Lots of fish dishes are great

Rabbit with wide egg noodles (I'd call them by their name, papardelle, but I can't spell it)

Empanadas

Some kind of Thai rice bowl with a sunny side egg on top

Little custard filled doughnuts at breakfast

Little scones at tea

Oatmeal Raisin cookies

Enough? :D

I had some sort of ravioli in Sabatinis on the Crown that was part of the appetizer portion of the meal - I so wish I remember what it was because it was to die for! We were a table of 9 that evening and each and every one of us could not stop talking about it for the remainder of our cruise. If anyone knows it, please help me :)

I also have to vote for the goat cheese souffle and the french onion soup.

Oh heck, I don't think there was anything on that cruise that I didn't like :o

Miriam

Archived