Taking Laptops and other electronic devices

swim25

Hi

We are going on our first cruise in a couple of weeks and wanted to know if most people taking their laptops & cameras with them pack them in checked baggage or put therm in their carry on bags. We are flying to the port.

I know that airline baggage handlers are not exactly gentle with baggage but how about when boarding the cruise ship?

Hi

We are going on our first cruise in a couple of weeks and wanted to know if most people taking their laptops & cameras with them pack them in checked baggage or put therm in their carry on bags. We are flying to the port.

I know that airline baggage handlers are not exactly gentle with baggage but how about when boarding the cruise ship?

Keep your electronics and valuables with you in your carryon. Checked bags can be handled pretty roughly getting on the ship.

Hi

All expensive electronic gear should ALWAYS go into carry on bags. Airlines explicitly disclaim any financial responsibility for damaged, lost, stolen computers, cameras, etc. Guess what gets stolen with some frequency from checked bags? Computers? Cameras? ding ding ding

Once your electronic gear is in your carry on bag for flying, just continue to carry it onto the ship. No worries.

Carry on all the time.

***Be prepared with a canvas bag of some sort at the airport if by chance you have to check your carry on because they are filled up. (this has happened to me) I made sure I had all my electronics out of that bag and into a canvas bag before handing over my carry-on***

Best of Luck

Hi

Always in a carryon within our control.

As everyone has posted, NEVER put anything like that in your checked luggage. You probably wouldn't put your expensive jewelry in your checked bags, your laptop isn't any different.

Money, electronics, medicines and at least one change of underwear should be in your carryon.

Here is an article and video about Italian baggage handlers, but it can and does happen everywhere.

http://www.news10.net/news/article/244358/5/Shocking-video-captures-baggage-handlers-raiding-luggage

In my case, at first I carried my big laptop with me. Later on, I replaced that with a small netbook. Nowadays, I find that my smartphone is sufficient for all my 'electronic' needs, and frees me from being encumbered with the other stuff.

Unless you have to do a lot of work while you're cruising (:eek:), I think a smartphone should be sufficient for most....:)

In my case, at first I carried my big laptop with me. Later on, I replaced that with a small netbook. Nowadays, I find that my smartphone is sufficient for all my 'electronic' needs, and frees me from being encumbered with the other stuff.

Unless you have to do a lot of work while you're cruising (:eek:), I think a smartphone should be sufficient for most....:)

Not if you're an avid photographer that takes 200 / 300 photos a day. :D I take my netbook and also a small portable hard drive to back up my pics every day.

Smartphone is used to send an occasional text home - "Having fun. Bye." Then it's put in airplane mode and turned off and put in the safe.

All of this stuff is carried in my backpack which is my "personal item" on the plane.

Money, electronics, medicines and at least one change of underwear should be in your carryon.

Don't forget a bathing suit! My kids were mad when we did not do this on our last cruise. They wanted to go swimming right away, and we put all bathing suits in the checked luggage!

We always take out laptops and cameras in our carry ons. We have a bag (personal/camera bag) that is specifically designed to hold both in their own compartments. To much trouble and hassle with the airlines to give them my electronic equipment.

Thanks for all your posts. I got the message. I will carry my electronic valuables with my carry on. I have a third piece of baggage which I was going to put with my checked baggage and that was going to be my carry on for the ship. I will use a smaller carry on bag for the flight similar to the canvas bag mentioned earlier (Laptop in its own bag inside that bag). Do anybody know what is the maximum size for a carry on bag for Carnival? I will be using my laptop for mainly photo backup because I plan on taking a lot of photos.

Don't forget a bathing suit! My kids were mad when we did not do this on our last cruise. They wanted to go swimming right away, and we put all bathing suits in the checked luggage!

I was thinking more on the lines of 'if I lost my luggage'.;):D

Archived