Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

How much for Platinum bed bugs?

Actually, they are free of charge if you are Platinum ( at least for now ). See recent thread re Platinum Cruiser with Bedbugs thread.:). They may decide to add at least a service charge for them at some point.

Harriet---including suites in this would be the last straw for me..we already pay a "premium" for suites .! ( and especially with the proportionally higher DSC raises suites just experienced) AND we still have not been told IF Butlers were included in that raise.

Butlers are not included in that raise. Tip accordingly.

However.......If I have to pay the butler to bring me coffee/danish/breakfast $7.95 and if I have to pay the Butler $7.95 to bring me dinner....well, that adds up and I will deduct that from the 10.00 per day per person that I leave him!

Harriet

Have they changed the items on the room service menu? It's very limited to begin with if your not in a suite. I certainly won't be paying $7.95 for coffee and a yogurt lol

True, however, if they ARE charging this for suites/haven cabins then we're going to have a HUGE order for 18 people come all at once for almost everything on that menu the first morning! And for every time we order something they charge $7.95 I'm going to minus that from my $10.00 per day I planned on giving the Butler!

Harriet

However.......If I have to pay the butler to bring me coffee/danish/breakfast $7.95 and if I have to pay the Butler $7.95 to bring me dinner....well, that adds up and I will deduct that from the 10.00 per day per person that I leave him!

Harriet

I hear ya...;) (though I really do not think they would have this apply to suites...BUT again, with the way things are going who knows:eek:)

I just spoke with a NCL rep and she said that there is no charge for room service to her knowledge. Maybe this is all a cruel joke. I, being handicapped cannot walk to the buffet for a snack and depend on room service, so it's rather important to me. I'll have to find another cruise line or stop cruising if this is in fact going to be policy in the future. :confused:

Harriet

So if we are in our GV and a couple of the girls want something and then another couple of girls want something else and then again some want another thing that could very well be $24.00 for early morning Danish and bagels. Really????

Won't take long for NCL to limit the number of items that can be placed on one order.

And, I do believe, that if this new "convenience fee" was an April Fool's joke, NCL would have posted a reply by now considering how many cruisers are upset by this.

Apparently you didn't see how bad their reply was on the the thread about the 18% gratuity for pay restaurants. They got flamed on that one.

I just spoke with a NCL rep and she said that there is no charge for room service to her knowledge. Maybe this is all a cruel joke. I, being handicapped cannot walk to the buffet for a snack and depend on room service, so it's rather important to me. I'll have to find another cruise line or stop cruising if this is in fact going to be policy in the future. :confused:

You are relying on what an NCL Rep told you?

LOL

Harriet

Someone posted a picture and it shows in black and white it's true it is NOT a joke

I started researching NCL about a year ago for our cruise and this was said about every change and "trial". They have all been permanent changes.

Not true. They cancelled the package they had for specialty lunches after Haven guests complained.

True, however, if they ARE charging this for suites/haven cabins then we're going to have a HUGE order for 18 people come all at once for almost everything on that menu the first morning! And for every time we order something they charge $7.95 I'm going to minus that from my $10.00 per day I planned on giving the Butler!

Harriet

We are booked in the haven. Are they charging there too. I may cancel if they are?

Edited by Merriem

If this is true, can you imagine the line at customer services when people begin noticing (or some not even until they get the last day print out) of its charge.

I for one doubt I would have even read the fine print. Being Platinum on a few other lines where this was included, and knowing when I booked this NCL cruise, that this was a free service....I would have been utilizing room service most likely without even realizing I was being charged for it. (livid would not even begin to describe my feelings at that point)

I am quite sure there will be several other cruisers in the same boat (so to speak) in a few days.

Edited by LadySpoilt

So if we are in our GV and a couple of the girls want something and then another couple of girls want something else and then again some want another thing that could very well be $24.00 for early morning Danish and bagels. Really????

Yep, IF this fee is for Suites/Haven. That's why I said we order enough, at one time, for 18 people and have it delivered to only one of the GV's. Hey, we have microwaves! LOL

Harriet

AND...just to show you that you can't believe everything...I just emailed a rep and was told...they just found out...and it is a test on BA & GA.

AGAIN.......who knows and all I know is that us on CC surely know more than the poor PAX currently onboard...being slammed with yet another surprise..

I have just phoned NCL Europe to check on what they have to say about this charge . According to the email they have just received from Miami it is a 2 week "trial" on the Getaway and Breakaway only .I suggested she get straight onto Miami and get them to take a look at the response to their latest "trial" on Cruise Critic .

I think NCL is going for a true two class ship. If you are in the lower class it will be mostly a fee for most things. It is what it is. I have two trips booked for Oct. One NCL and one X. Mini suite in NCL and Aqua on X. Just about the same per day but X gives a lot more. I have to pick one. We will see.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

AND...just to show you that you can't believe everything...I just emailed a rep and was told...they just found out...and it is a test on BA & GA.

AGAIN.......who knows and all I know is that us on CC surely know more than the poor PAX currently onboard...being slammed with yet another surprise..

Well...if you can't believe everything, then I have no reason to believe the rep either, right? ;)

Here is the response i got from NCL

Hi Geri, we have introduced a new enhanced room service menu which is being tested on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge will be added to each order placed. As we test and refine this new room service menu the convenience charge will be $7.95 on Norwegian Breakaway and $4.95 on board Norwegian Getaway. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day. During the test room service across the balance of the fleet remains unchanged.

Right now NCL's fares are some of the lowest around. Everyone wants low fares and lots of free UBP, UDP, etc. There has to be a way for the company to make a profit.

In spite of all the whining on this thread the vast majority of all cruisers NEVER use room service. This is going to have minimal impact.

If you don't like these fees, you can always sail Seaborne, Silversea, Regent, or Sea Dream they don't impose any of them. Oh that's right they average about $500 per person per day for their fares.

You can't POSSIBLY know how many people use room service. And the amount of activity on this thread is clear evidence that you are absurdly wrong.

Don't dare try to find wiggle room for NCL on this one. What they re doing is simply indefensible.

Just got done with guest services onboard. They say it is only on breakaway and getaway and started yesterday. They logged my complaint and when I told them I would never sail ncl again as with a little child we rely on room service for several meals, the response was "all I can do is log your complaint".