Rain forecasted all week...is all lost?

Dragonfly0705

We leave for Alaska on Wednesday and it looks like there is rain in the forecast everyday, everywhere we go. For those who have been before will this ruin the trip? Should we even bother? I am so depressed about this. We chose this time of year because there was supposed to be less rain.

The weather forecast will probably change several times. We only had rain in Juneau. We wore rain suits and had no problems doing a whale watching excursion. Having a 2 piece rain suit is really nice.

A historical chance of less rain doesn't mean no rain. Just take some rain gear and don't worry about it.

Through the miracles of modern communication I am posting this reponse from the Saga Class Icelandair lounge in Keflavik, Iceland as we prepare to fly back to North America later today. We left our home in Fairbanks, Alaska April 10th to spend a few days in Florida before boarding the beautiful Celebrity Eclipse for thrity-five nights onboard followed by several days outside London and a week in wonderful Iceland. If I had let rain ruin our trip we would have had problems one day in Florida, during the trans-Atlantic crossig, in France, two ports iin Norway, and several days in Iceland.

When we travel we just have to learn to "go with the flow" and not let weather be a problem. There really is no bad weather -- just people badly dressed for the conditions.

I understand that a historical forecast doesn't mean no rain, it is just down heartening to see day after day of rain with seemingly no nice days. We don't have rain suits only rain coats and at this point no time to obtain rain suits so we are just going to have to make do.

We leave for Alaska on Wednesday and it looks like there is rain in the forecast everyday, everywhere we go. For those who have been before will this ruin the trip? Should we even bother? I am so depressed about this. We chose this time of year because there was supposed to be less rain.

I won't lie -- sunshine is always nice. But "should we even bother?" :eek: Yes, you should.

As another poster mentioned, the weather may not be what you see in the current forecast. My last trip to Alaska had a great weather forecast, then the forecast changed dramatically to cold and rainy. The actual weather we experienced was mostly fabulous. (5 days out, 2 days out, then actual experience)

Weather is weather, and as long as you have the necessary clothing you should still be able to enjoy your trip.

Edited by VennDiagram

I'm sitting at the dock in Seattle having just returned from Alaska. Our forecasts that we had prior to departure was in no way related to the weather we actually had. We ended up with temps in the mid 50's, and overcast. There was occasional drizzle and it was raining upon arrival in Victoria but it cleared up. In no way did the weather negatively impact the enjoyment of our trip. Alaska is amazing no matter the weather!

Having lived in the PNW for 30 years, I can tell you that a forecast is only good for a day or 2 out, and even then, it's not reliable !!

And a prediction of rain does't mean a downpour for 24 hrs !! It might just be a light rain/showers for an hour in the morning and evening.

Unless it's super windy and the rain coming at you sideways, you'll be fine. Hooded waterproof jacket and baseball cap.

( look at the local news station or newspaper for the forecast made by a local weatherperson. )

It's Alaska and not at all uncommon. Just take rain suits and go with the flow. It really shouldn't matter that it is raining unless you make it a big deal.

I understand that a historical forecast doesn't mean no rain, it is just down heartening to see day after day of rain with seemingly no nice days. We don't have rain suits only rain coats and at this point no time to obtain rain suits so we are just going to have to make do.

Still 3 days. Don't know exactly where you are, but isn't there a Dick's, Bass Pro, Cabela's or similar within reach?

Just thinkin' ....

You didn't mention which parts of Alaska you are going to visit. For the last two months now it has been unusually dry over most of the state. In May we set day high after day high at city after city including in Southeast's (71 in Juneau yesterday). Yesterday it was amazing in that for a state of this size to have clear weather over almost every portion of the entire state. Unfortunately, our forest fire dangers are very high too partiuclary in the interior, so high they didn't send two hot shot crews to Alberta as planned. Right now we are on pins and needles hoping a big one doesn't get a foothold. I was born up here and haven't seen anything quite like this. You might get a little wet in Southeast this coming week but Central Alaska will most likely remain hot and dry.

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?wmo=FPAK51PAFC&type=public

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?wmo=FPAK57PAJK&type=public

http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anchorage/2016/05/27/wildfire-burns-in-eagle-river/

Edited by kennicott

>SNIP<

Unfortunately, our forest fire dangers are very high too partiuclary in the interior, so high they didn't send two hot shot crews to Alberta as planned. Right now we are on pins and needles hoping a big one doesn't get a foothold. I was born up here and haven't seen anything quite like this. You might get a little wet in Southeast this coming week but Central Alaska will most likely remain hot and dry.

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?wmo=FPAK51PAFC&type=public

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?wmo=FPAK57PAJK&type=public

We thank you for the help you did send. Our home is not in the affected area, but we live surrounded by forest that has been tinder-dry (until recent precip). You're in our thoughts, as is everyone who is not getting rain -- wildfires are frightening :(

(sorry for the thread drift..... I'll stop now ;) )

Edited by VennDiagram

Alaska is funny weather-wise. For example, in Juneau you can have rain, sun, and snow going on at the same time in different parts of the city. Makes forecasting a bit tough. Net: Plan for all types of weather, as you'll likely experience a bit of everything. You will have a great time in Alaska, and the weather will enhance your experience no matter what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want rain pants, you have time to buy rain pants... but you'll find them more useful for wind-blocking and layering than actually stopping your legs getting wet. More useful is a pair of longjohns in case it's cold (the layer immediately on the skin is the one that does most to keep you warm) and extra socks and shoes - there's very limited scope to dry out your footwear in typical cruise cabins, so if you are splashing through puddles being able to change into clean dry footwear is a huge benefit when you get back to the ship. Extra socks also double as mittens, improvised covers for telephoto lenses, headbands if it's too hot and you're sweating... very handy!

If you don't own a decent worn-in pair of boots, then waterproofing a comfortable pair of sneakers is also a good idea - with limited time to shop before your cruise, this lifehack of using a candle and hairdryer is probably simpler and definitely much cheaper than figuring out optimal coverage and dry times for waterproofing sprays...

Even though they have forecasted (sic) rain for the whole week, AK weather is very changeable. It does not mean that it will rain every day or all day. Just bring rain gear and hope for the best.

DON

We had booked the Glacier Tour of Prince William Sound/College Fjord. When we arrived, it was totally socked in with a pretty steady, but not heavy, rain and pretty foggy. (Fog can be the bigger issue.)

We ALMOST didn't even board the tour boat.

While it did not become sunny, it really lifted, and we had a wonderful tour to see the glaciers!

As others are saying, don't say 'why bother'....

Cross your fingers and go for it!!!

You will have a really great cruise.

That being said, after over a week of Alaska's cool and cloudy/rainy weather, when the first leg of our flight touched down, and there were beautiful sunny skies thru the huge domed concourse windows.. OMG, I actually took a picture!!! Hahahaha!!!

If it helps, my first cruise to Alaska was supposed to be cloudy all week. It was very wet, cold, rainy and foggy. Nothing like the weatherman said!

I would agree - fog was the real issue.

Don't let rain or clouds ruin your trip. Prepare best you can (shoes with a bit of waterpoofing and non-slip soles, rain jacket, and rain pants) and have fun. Agreed the weather can really change day to day. Also, a rain forecast doesn't mean it'll rain the entire day in the entire area. Best wishes.

Even though they have forecasted (sic) rain for the whole week, AK weather is very changeable. It does not mean that it will rain every day or all day. Just bring rain gear and hope for the best.

DON

I should have added that a few years ago we did a long 3 month driving trip in AK. We spent 3 days in Juneau - it rained every day. We spent 2 days in Ketchikan - it rained. We spent 3 days in Prince Rupert - it rained. We spent most of our last day in Prince Rupert in the local library staying dry and reading books and magazines. The next day we headed east to Prince George. The weather changed and the rest of the trip was wonderful.

Can't say that wwe really loved having 8 days of rain but it didn't dampen (get it - dampen) the whole trip.

You can't stop bad weather and as long as you have the right clothing you will survive.

DON

We are going next week. I bought rain/waterproof slip on pants, those 10.00 3/4 length button down rain coats, and regular weather/water resistant jackets with hoods that the inside layer zips in and out. Did I miss an actual "rainsuit"?

Hey, let it rain, go prepared. From what I'm told on these boards,:) if it rains, you are experiencing the real Alaska!!