NCL Jade Filipino Crew Member Killed in Greece Accident

SakeDad

My husband is a tug boat capitan and I can tell you if one of his crew was killed in an accident like this without a life vest or safety measures his butt and his companies butt would be in a big time mess.

Sad no investigation to speack of was done. Again, let even a minor accident happen and the coast guard is on the boat and nothing happens till it is gone over with a fine tooth comb.

I have to say how sad for the family that it is business as usual after he died. To know no investigation was done would hurt.

Very sad indeed! I am sure there is a dark cloud over the Jade as the crew and the passengers deal with this tragic accident. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

I did not read the details, as I will be boarding the Jade in a month and don't want the thoughts of this incident in my mind but I do feel very sorry for this young man and his family.

The level of investigation on something like this outside the USA is significant lower... gives one pause for thought. We are lucky, those of us who hail from the USA, but when we are crusing... we have to keep this in mind, t he rules are different in different parts of the world.

Firstly I would like to sympathise with the family and work colleagues of this poor man. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Of course there will be a full investigation into this accident. Greece is a full member of the EU and all EU safety regulations and procedures will have been instigated immediately by the relevant authorities. I particularly dislike the tone of a previous poster who insinuated that if this was in the US things would be done to a higher standard . How dare you say that. This comment is totally incorrect. This will not help family members or friends that may read this thread. Unless you are an expert in Marine safety please keep those types of misinformed comments to yourself.

Firstly I would like to sympathise with the family and work colleagues of this poor man. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Of course there will be a full investigation into this accident. Greece is a full member of the EU and all EU safety regulations and procedures will have been instigated immediately by the relevant authorities. I particularly dislike the tone of a previous poster who insinuated that if this was in the US things would be done to a higher standard . How dare you say that. This comment is totally incorrect. This will not help family members or friends that may read this thread. Unless you are an expert in Marine safety please keep those types of misinformed comments to yourself.

I am sorry if my thoughts offended you. You are entitled to your thoughts. This is an open forum were any of us can share our thoughts. I welcome a full investigation, obvously the point of an investigation is to prevent future incidents. We will see how this plays out.

Already at slower standard if they did not halt things right then and there and start the investigation!!!

You can't recreate things after the fact. Even in the situation in a bad car wreck traffic is stopped in their tracks until things are investigated.

I hope we all read the article wrong, but I didn't feel comfortable with what had been done, or maybe what hadn't been done.

What makes your opinion more correct than the person you complained about giving theirs?

I posted to Mr. Walkers site. Before slamming the cruiselines we need to see that over 4, 000 Americans die each year in the workplace. I was an OSHA compliance officer for 12 years.Too many US employers do not get it as far as safety goes.

Per NCL, s own employees they have high safety standards. Several posted on Jim Walker, s web page.

4000 dead does not make 4001 ok. Nor do hopes for an investigation constitute slamming a cruiseline. And the OP may have a bias. Let's see how this turns out. Hopefully NCL and the industry and other entities will investigate, and improve practices as discoveries warrant (helmets, or whatever). An OSHA investigator should know that investigations lead to new best practices. Something I hope we all aspire to. So that the crew member did not die in vain. GMCOLT seems to have minimal expectations for his/her job. Yes, people will die on the job, but the question is how to minimize premature loss of life - and this is a question for insurers, government at so many levels, every employer, etc. And one has to factor in costs vs. benefits - how to save the most lives for the least cost. We can't afford it all. So set a price, and maximize the number saved. I say all that b/c I am aware of the complexities. But I still want an investigation/s, and lessons learned applied. If this were an airplane, there might be a costly search for the black boxes, reconstruction of the accident, etc. That high bar is not aspired to here.

Very sad. My prayers are with the poor man's family.

Here is the actual newspaper article:

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite1_1_08/03/2013_486531

Given the limited information available I will refrain from passing judgement.

Please note the original link posted is to a lawyer who specializes in suing cruise lines. His media contributions include items such as What Cruise Lines Don't Want You to Know, Cruise Ship Fires Occur with Alarming Frequency, amd Worst Cruise Ever: Can I Sue?

Already at slower standard if they did not halt things right then and there and start the investigation!!!

You can't recreate things after the fact. Even in the situation in a bad car wreck traffic is stopped in their tracks until things are investigated.

I hope we all read the article wrong, but I didn't feel comfortable with what had been done, or maybe what hadn't been done.

What makes your opinion more correct than the person you complained about giving theirs?

From the "information" in the article I don't think it can be stated that things were not halted.

As DWJoe says, I would rather not pass judgement on the sparse details provided. But as a former NCL ship's officer I can say that company policy requires a hard hat while docking, and a work vest (floatation device) while working near the side. These two items were mentioned in the lawyer's article as being not used, so unfortunately, the crew member himself is partly to blame for the accident.

The lawyer states that the BMA "apparently" did not conduct an investigation, but he does not know that for certain. BMA would normally defer to Greek Coast Guard as the prime investigation service, and since there is not much "forensic" evidence to an accident like this (injury or death by mooring line is an occupational hazard to merchant seamen), there would not have needed to be a "crime scene" investigation of the mooring station that lasted longer than the normal port stay. We do not know if the BMA or Greek Coast Guard had representatives sailing to the next Greek port to take statements.

One death is too many, but the International Safety Management (ISM) code of the IMO requires all shipping companies to mandate a safety culture, and in fact NCL was just awarded the 2012 Quality Ship Management Award from American Maritime Safety.

Any death or injury is very sad. Maybe it's just me, but am I the only one who wondered why this poor soul's nationality had to be in the headline? What difference does that make?

You are not alone...it was the first thing that struck me..can see the relevance at all...:confused:

Archived