Is there anyone who does not like the Steak House?

Seany527

I think I'll finally try the steak house on my up coming cruise. I only read and hear positive things about it. Is there anyone who does not like it? I would hate to have just an OK time at the steak house and miss out on something enjoying in the dining room.

I did not enjoy the steakhouse on the Magic last February. The steak was tough even though ordered medium rare, maybe I picked the wrong cut. The cheesecake was worse, light and airy and not much flavor. I am not from NY but is wasn't cheesecake by my definition.

I think I'll finally try the steak house on my up coming cruise. I only read and hear positive things about it. Is there anyone who does not like it? I would hate to have just an OK time at the steak house and miss out on something enjoying in the dining room.

Us.

We tried the steakhouse for the first, and only, time on Breeze back in October. While the service was very good, we missed the personal touches we received from our dining room waitstaff. Our steaks were cooked perfectly medium rare. But we found them flavorless and tough. We've had better steaks at Texas Roadhouse.

There you go-a negative comment about the steakhouse.

Edited by stargate fan

We just ate at the steakhouse on the Valor. We prebooked about 4 months in advance, yet had to wait about 15 minutes so that they could give us a seat by the window even though there appeared to be plenty of available tables.

They did give us nice table but they were in a rush to have us order. We then noticed that they wheeled around a cart showing all the steak options to the other tables which they never did for us. Overall the service in the dining room was better than here. We have never tasted a worse Caesar salad. The steaks were decent but not exceptional. The other poster is correct that the cheesecake is awful even though it looks impressive.

Certainly not worth the $70 tab in my book.

My DW and I tried it on the breeze for the first time and it was ok. I don't think I would do it again. I have had a much better meal (at times) in the MDR at no charge. Another thing, After reading all the rave reviews about the steakhouse I admit I had high expectations. We were sat next to a party of about 10 adults and children. The Adults sat at one end of the table and the kids were sitting right next to us screaming, tossing food across the table etc..... It spoiled the atmosphere for us.

On another note... Highly recommend the Chefs Table. The service, the food and the experience was top notch!

Edited by floridabum

The service in the steakhouse is typically wonderful. Servers very friendly and attentive.

My husband and I have difficulty with the appetizers. He tried the beef carpaccio (raw) because nothing else appealed to him and he did not care for it. I had the French onion soup...while good....way too much soup and very, very rich. If you eat it all, you won't be eating your dinner.

We ordered Caesar salad and it was traditionally prepared table side and was ver tasty. The focaccia and brioche breads with dipping sauces are fantastic.

Steaks. I ordered the ribeye with spice rub which was tasty but the medium rare steak seemed dry.......not juicy. My husband ordered the filet with spice rub and while it had a warm, red center it was dry. No juice, no flavor.

I remember reading about dry-aged steaks in the steak house and I guess I don't care for dry aged steaks as much.

Please don't misunderstand.....we always go to the steakhouse when cruising Carnival but yikes.....Carrabas or Outback offers a juicer, more tender cut of meat.

Don't get me started on the cheesecake. Looks great, tastes average.

We went to the one on the Dream our first cruise. It was ok. Have though about it on the next couple cruises but just couldn't justify the extra cost.

On the other hand, I loved the cheesecake. I liked the whole light and fluffy texture as opposed to a dense cake. But that's just me.

We tried it on the Miracle and wasn't impressed by the service. Our water glasses were empty for a good 15-20 minutes before she came back to the table to refill it, and that was it, 1 time refill, and the restaurant wasn't busy either. The food was ok, but not mind blowing as i was expecting. I remember my husband not liking the shrimp cocktail appetizer ( it came in a weird sauce he didn't care for ). As for the rest of the food, i remember the portions being huge, but that was it. I really missed the Mdr, cause we' ve always been really lucky with amazing servers with excellent service inthe Mdr. By reading the reviews of the steakhouse, i'm sure we just got a bad waitress, but i won't risk losing another night at the MDR to try again.

We have eaten in the Steakhouse three times. The first time was fabulous!! The second time, we had terrible service. The third time will probably be the last time. My steak was terrible. It was so tough that I was afraid it was going to end up in my lap while I was trying to cut it. The tables are too close together to have a conversation. They don't seem able to keep both the service and the food consistent.

Thanks for the info everyone.

DW and I have always had good meals at the steakhouse, but prefer the MDR. Steakhouse is way too much food and takes all night long!

How many hours were you there?

We did on our last cruise. Details and photos in my signature.

The biggest problem was that we went the day after Chef's Table. It was a huge downgrade from that.

Cesar salad was pretty pathetic too.

Been there twice. The first time was ok but nothing special. The second time confirmed that the first time was nothing special. I found the food in the MDR to be just as good.

The kicker was on the second trip my wife and I each walked in with glasses of wine.

They told us we could either drink it before being seated or pay for a corkage fee. Ridiculous since we didn't have a bottle let alone a cork. We drank the wine quickly but

I was too annoyed to enjoy anything else. I'm done.......

Did it on Splendor because it was my first Carnival cruise..it was fine, no complaints.

I just didn't think it was that outstanding to do it again but if I traveled with someone who wanted to do it...I'd probably go...

Went for first time on the Dream in August 2013...twice during the sailing. Had a wonderful experience and food was great and cooked correctly. We usually do the chefs table each cruise, but not enough people signed up so it was cancelled. The MDR during this sailing was horrible. We will try on Glory this year on first night to take advantage of free bottle of wine. We don't mind the extra cost because we were prepared to spend $150 on chefs table anyway. TrY it at least once. I suspect there is no consistency from sailing to sailing or ship to ship.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I have been to the steakhouse twice, it was very good the first time.

That being said, unless the menu changes, i would not go again, I don't eat any seafood and I can't bring myself to order a steak for myself that could feed a family of four. I do not care for any of the desserts.

We've eaten at David's on the Pride twice. Excellent both times. Our only complaint is that the second time they wouldn't let us take our leftover cheesecake with us to the cabin. We had done so our first time. Since when can you not take leftovers?

My husband & I have always booked a reservation at the Steakhouse at least once on every cruise. Our last meal at the Steakhouse on the Dream was not as good as previous meals. I thought the quality of the food had decreased. The wait staff also seemed more rushed. The dinner wasn't a special experience I am not sure if the price charged was warranted.