Jeans in dining venues - dinner time

DrJW

I know that the description of 'country club casual ' can cover a broad area.

I was wondering if nice mens or womens jeans are allowed during the evening meals in all of the dining venues besides the Terrace Cafe [i.e. MDR and speciality restaurants.? [ Some of those jeans can cost more than dress slacks! :o ]

Appreciate your thoughts!

Ruth

I don't think the price matters.

I can't say whether or not you'll be turned away, but IMHO, jeans aren't appropriate in the MDR or specialty restaurants and I don't recall seeing people wearing them.

I can't say whether or not you'll be turned away, but IMHO, jeans aren't appropriate in the MDR or specialty restaurants and I don't recall seeing people wearing them.

+1

There are several heated discussion on this topic

If cost were the criterion, then those wishing to wear jeans to dinner in the MDR, Polo and Toscana would merely need to flash their receipt. Anything costing more than X amount would be allowed; anything less would be banned.

This topic has been pretty much done to death on this forum. Suggest you use the forum search tools near the top of the topics list and look for keywords "jeans," "dinner" and/or "country club casual." Read and learn from lengthy past debates on the topic rather than making the regular posters engage in the predictable disputes yet again.

In the end, no one -- certainly no one here -- can authorize, prohibit or even give you an ironclad answer regarding your trousers and their acceptability or lack thereof except the maitre d' when you show up at the podium. That's when you'll learn the definitive answer, which could even vary from venue to venue and ship to ship.

Tempt fate if you wish, but is it really so difficult just to wear a nice pair of slacks?

+1

I kept my jeans for day time and port excursions. In the evening we took it up a notch to dress pants and evening blouses. Some of the restaurants are very cold so I always carried a jacket or pashmina.

There are always some who like to set their own standard. At the captains cocktail party one man turned in ratty jeans, T shirt and thongs (flip flops - don't know what you call them) on this feet. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt thinking may be his luggage went missing - but he certainly stood out from the crowd.

Edited by jakes47

First - you can do a search- but when I ever do it it's usually an outdated post from years ago

Second - I've never worn jeans into the dining rooms, but if I did, I would make sure I had a fashionable/georgious shirt and and a very nice jacket to compensate for my Levi's underneath- just saying.

I don't know- I'm a newbie and many of the posts are amusing or to say the least something interesting to read- after one posts a million times- is there anything new to post or talk about Oceania?

You ask a valid question. There really isn't anything more to post re: O..it is what it is. We are "cheerleaders" because we just love the brand. We were all newbies once. I can't begin to tell you how much info has been gleaned from this forum, how much money has been saved, and most of all, how MANY friendships have been made. This particular forum has become, let 's say "grumpy", don't know why, hope it ends soon, but some folks provoke sometimes unintentionally but other times just to rile. And to be honest, I am finding some of my oldest friends on this board becoming very snarky...not nice

I guessed from your last post that was the last. In any event I have never seen them except in the terrace however I do not know if you would get turned away. If you want to prove a point give in a try, if you want to blend in do not. Speaking for myself I could care less how others dress.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

So "J" stops posting then now we get Ruth asking questions that we all know have been asked ad nauseam on this board. Me thinks both "j" and "Ruth" are just trying to raise the hackles of us all. Let us just not bother answering their inquiries. These can be found on search and "j" is well aware of this..and yes J...call me one of your "caustic" posters. We have all tried to help you.

I truly hope you enjoy your trip on Marina, it is a wonderful ship and hopefully you will not be disappointed.

I'm with you, Deb, all of the posts from the OP seem designed to create controversy. I, too, sincerely hope they enjoy their cruise and learn about Oceania first hand, then they can join the "cheerleaders". But from the questions, I wonder...

You'll notice that most of what is posted above is opinion, preference and what people have historically seen onboard. Most folks stated it was their opinion.

Here's all you need to know. This is the Dress code. Seems fairly simple. Only confusion is over what constitutes "casual" jeans.

From the Oceania Website:

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club-casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

While I am personally opposed to jeans when dining in the upscale restaurants on Oceania, it is my understanding that "dress" jeans are now permitted. I just went into Google Images and searched for jeans. There are many different types. Obviously no one would wear torn, faded or baggy jeans - no matter what the cost. I would think well-tailored jeans might fit the criteria?

Wish Oceania would put a picture on their brochures of someone wearing dress jeans in a restaurant to give people a better idea. In my mind I see the well-tailored jeans with a nice long-sleeved dress shirt.

You'll notice that most of what is posted above is opinion, preference and what people have historically seen onboard. Most folks stated it was their opinion.

Here's all you need to know. This is the Dress code. Seems fairly simple. Only confusion is over what constitutes "casual" jeans.

From the Oceania Website:

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club-casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

Not simple at all!! There is really a problem with the dress code printed above. Words used to describe the dress include "Recommended, suggested, and We request".

Certainly not definitive in any way and allow passengers to wear most anything during the day and in the evening. Don't see any way that O staff can direct people to change what they are wearing at any time or keep them out of any venue.

Realize many people take what is written to be the rule yet if O wants to truly limit what can and cannot be worn, O needs to use words such as required, require, not allowed, and not the non-definitive words used. As such, jeans of any kind are allowed at any time as people are only requested as opposed to not allowed to wear any type of jeans at dinner.

Really not any different than dress codes requiring collared shirts where some people believe Polo shirts are not allowed yet they have collars and turtle necks are allowed yet they don't have collars. The words are what they are and need to be followed as clearly written and not as interpreted.

Just as other luxury and premium cruise lines do, Oceania treat their customers as adults rather than children when sometimes you say "you must...................". They give a description that adults should understand and then "recommend", "request" or "suggest" what is appropriate for evening wear. They also indicate what they do not feel is appropriate attire. They do not bully their guests into a specific type of evening wear (polo shirts vs. long sleeved dress shirts or short sleeved collared shorts for instance). Of course, they do have the right to ask a guest to change if they show up at dinner in shorts and a t-shirt with flip flops.

To most of us, it is not really complicated. The only thing that can be difficult to define is dress jeans vs. casual jeans vs. designer jeans. For this reason, many of us just leave our jeans at home. If men wear slacks (or nice Dockers) with a collared shirt, he will be fine. However, some men choose to wear dress shirts - with out without jackets. While not required, you will see it on board. Women wear pants and a nice top or a skirt and top. Dresses are coming back into fashion -- they are fine as well. It is really quite easy. Not sure how wearing slacks and a shirt or top can be confusing.

Not simple at all!! There is really a problem with the dress code printed above. Words used to describe the dress include "Recommended, suggested, and We request".

Certainly not definitive in any way and allow passengers to wear most anything during the day and in the evening. Don't see any way that O staff can direct people to change what they are wearing at any time or keep them out of any venue.

Realize many people take what is written to be the rule yet if O wants to truly limit what can and cannot be worn, O needs to use words such as required, require, not allowed, and not the non-definitive words used. As such, jeans of any kind are allowed at any time as people are only requested as opposed to not allowed to wear any type of jeans at dinner.

Really not any different than dress codes requiring collared shirts where some people believe Polo shirts are not allowed yet they have collars and turtle necks are allowed yet they don't have collars. The words are what they are and need to be followed as clearly written and not as interpreted.

It is simple..use your common sense and dont try to guess what the cruise line wants..you know what is acceptable clothing in a nice restaurant...wear it!!

Jancruz1

I know that the description of 'country club casual ' can cover a broad area.

I was wondering if nice mens or womens jeans are allowed during the evening meals in all of the dining venues besides the Terrace Cafe [i.e. MDR and speciality restaurants.? [ Some of those jeans can cost more than dress slacks! :o ]

Appreciate your thoughts!

Ruth

Here we go again. Oh, Ruth, I simply pray that you find something to enjoy on your upcoming Marina cruise.

Please, do not wear jeans to dinner in the MDR and speciality restaurants.