Off-Duty Crew in Passenger Bars

gtalum

John Heald posted a question today about a complaint from a guest regarding crew in the passenger bars. Do people really have a problem with this? Why?

I've only seen obvious crew in passenger bars a handful of times in 10 cruises with carnival, and I can't say it's ever bothered me at all.

Crew can only have a drink or two anyway (even when off duty they are required to remain legally sober in case of emergency) so how much can they really affect service?

John Heald posted a question today about a complaint from a guest regarding crew in the passenger bars. Do people really have a problem with this? Why?

I've only seen obvious crew in passenger bars a handful of times in 10 cruises with carnival, and I can't say it's ever bothered me at all.

Crew can only have a drink or two anyway (even when off duty they are required to remain legally sober in case of emergency) so how much can they really affect service?

I don't get it either. Last cruise the ship band came to the piano bar one night and sat in the back. We gave them an ovation. Another crew member stood near the doorway and listened to the music. The more the merrier in my opinion.

It really bother's me when people complain about this, the crew are people too!!:mad:

If you work at a bar, can you not stay after your shift for a drink?

If you work at a restaurant can you not eat there with your family?

If you work at a retail store can you not shop there?

Whats the difference if they come see a show, or go to a bar or heaven forbid eat on the lido????

It really bother's me when people complain about this, the crew are people too!!:mad:

Whats the difference if they come see a show, or go to a bar or heaven forbid eat on the lido????

As long as they dont take up all the space preventing passengers from coming in, do not understand why anyone would begrudge them enjoying themselves during their time off.

Agreed, one of my best nights in club on the legend, my waitstaff had special permission to go to the club and i was able to buy them a drink and hangout. Made it very special for me to be able to thank then in a more personal way than just a tip and a "thank you". But at the end of the cruise we did that too.....

As I understand it only certain crew members may do this, it's not something the whole crew is able to do. I also fail to see why this is a problem.

Not all crew members can do this. It totally depends on their job description and title.

LuLu

Agreed, one of my best nights in club on the legend, my waitstaff had special permission to go to the club and i was able to buy them a drink and hangout. Made it very special for me to be able to thank then in a more personal way than just a tip and a "thank you". But at the end of the cruise we did that too.....

Wow -- That is highly unusual. There is normally a very strict hierarchy of where crew members are allowed. Marine, housekeeping, and wait staff are usually not allowed in passenger areas unless working.

Sounds like it was fun

The staff and crew have their own bar, game rooms, dining room, etc....they have no reason to "mingle" when off duty.

Agreed, but the passenger spaces are much nicer. Are you afraid of coming into contact with off-duty crew?

The staff and crew have their own bar, game rooms, dining room, etc....they have no reason to "mingle" when off duty.

Doesnt bother me at all. Have had some nice conversations with crewmembers over hte years.

Besides the entertainment upstairs is gotta be much better than what they get below decks.

Wonder how they got permission to do this?

I never get this either. To me, it seems like the only reason to get worked up over this is if you think the crew are lower class than you. As long as they continue to do an excellent job, why should I care? I have seen entertainment staff and cruise director staff out and about, but never anyone else that I recognized. We did see our waiter out and about in Cozumel.

I have no problem with this, but some people apparently feel that the crew should be tied to their post 24/7.

I was on the Carnival Spirit in 2011 for the first Alaska sailing, and crew members were visibly excited too, with several coming up to the top deck to take pictures of the scenery when the ship visits Glacier Bay. I overheard some guy next to me mumbling to his partner about the crew being slackers and that he is not paying for them to take pictures.

Edited by PCHENG

Very narrow minded opinion here. You are only assuming they would "mingle" with passengers. Of the times I have seen crew members in a "passenger" venue they keep to themselves and do not sit right in with the passengers. They sit together at a table and "mingle" with themselves. Generally it is the "passengers" that make it a point to go over and interrupt the crew that are trying to enjoy a little free time away from their jobs.

Edited by Eng23

I have no problem with the "employees" being in the public areas. The crew is not allowed there anyway and only the staff and officers can be there. As someone else mentioned, in the "land world", employees are allowed to be in their places of employment when they are off duty so I don't know why being on a ship should be different. In fact, it's more important for the ship staff since that is their home for many months at a time. It's not like they can decide to go somewhere else in the off time. How would you like to be confined to the off stage areas of your place of employment for 5, 6, 8 or more months at a time? That's ridiculous and I welcome the staff whenever they want to come and visit the passenger areas.