Family of Six in 1 cabin?

Sickvicious

Brother and his family wants to join us for a cruise in April. Is there a cruise line that will allow his family of 6 in 1 cabin? (Brother, Wife, 14 yo son, 12 yo son, 7 yo Son, 6 yo daughter).

A suite maybe.

Don't know of any standard cabins that would hold 6.

I think it might be doable if not comfortable, if the line allows it. That's because there are 2 teenagers and 2 small children. Either the teens or the kids will have to share a bed, or the kids might sleep with mom and dad. Normally what you would get is a bed, a couch and a berth that comes out of the ceiling, in a room for 3-4. A family cabin would be a better way to go but those do cost a lot more money.

Again, it should be possible if they're all good sleepers and willing to share beds. Or perhaps someone could sleep on the floor, or you could use chairs to support someone's feet as they sleep across the narrow side of the bed. No guarantees that it will be comfortable, but it's not impossible unless the line has a maximum number of guests per cabin.

Wow !

That would be tight quarters unless in some sort of suite as mentioned.

Bathroom time would be quite the schedule ! Luggage storage another issue.

Also, I am not certain if any cruise line would allow that amount of people to stay in one cabin for safety sake.

Perhaps your brother's family could save up for another cruise with you if this one is stretching their budget.

I'd get connecting rooms or two across the corridor from each other.

While officially there's supposed to be an adult in each room booked (at least on all the mainstream cruise lines I'm aware of) in practise you can move your party around when on-board. In other words maw & paw can have their own room with a window or balcony while the kids share a cheapie 4-berth Inside cabin across the hall;-)

Brother and his family wants to join us for a cruise in April. Is there a cruise line that will allow his family of 6 in 1 cabin? (Brother, Wife, 14 yo son, 12 yo son, 7 yo Son, 6 yo daughter).

hi there

I would think that 2 connecting cabins would be a good option to consider. You might have to look around a bit. Start the search now...do not wait. Book as soon as you find something that works. If you need help ask a TA.

hope this helps

Edited by Nic6318

There are certainly "line" limits to the number of people in a room -- if only for lifeboat capacity. There are no "roll-away beds" on cruises ships (to my knowledge)!

I would think what they need is two connecting rooms, either two triples (the daughter sleeps in the mom and dad's room) or one a quad (both young ones have the bunks in with the parents). And the boys have penalty-of-death terms to behave!

Do you have a destination in mind? Do you have a cruiseline of choice?

I think it might be doable if not comfortable, if the line allows it. That's because there are 2 teenagers and 2 small children. Either the teens or the kids will have to share a bed, or the kids might sleep with mom and dad. Normally what you would get is a bed, a couch and a berth that comes out of the ceiling, in a room for 3-4. A family cabin would be a better way to go but those do cost a lot more money.

Again, it should be possible if they're all good sleepers and willing to share beds. Or perhaps someone could sleep on the floor, or you could use chairs to support someone's feet as they sleep across the narrow side of the bed. No guarantees that it will be comfortable, but it's not impossible unless the line has a maximum number of guests per cabin.

Every cruise line has a maximum limit per cabin, dependent on lifeboat capacity for that cabin. If a cobin is for 3-4, then no way would 6 be allowed.

No cruise line allows this.

Which they do.

DON

On a whim, I guessed that you were probably thinking of a Caribbean cruise in April, I checked Norwegian Cruise Line.

Their newest ship, the Escape, has two options that sleep 6:

The Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite with Large Balcony (1300+sq.ft) and the Haven 2-bedroom Family Villa with Balcony (540+sq.ft).

As the Haven has its own restaurant, spa, and lounge areas, you would also want to be in a Haven stateroom -- the other options are the Haven Owner's Suite with Large Balcony (570+sq.ft) or the Haven Courtyard Penthouse with Balcony (almost 330sq.ft).

I just checked the ship and not its availability. Also NCL has additional large ships that have a Haven. So check them out!

RCI has family staterooms (which are not suites) that accommodate six - two in the standard twin beds (can be combined as a king), two on a fold out couch, and two in individual twin bottom, and Murphy bed top in a bunk room. No other stateroom I am aware of will accommodate - or allow - six in a single stateroom. There are also family suite options that will allow up to eight and other suite options that will allow up to six.

Just for clarity, a standard stateroom is way too small to accommodate more than four passengers maximum - and if those four are adults, it is very tight.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I hear you when you say he wants his family all in one room (not a bad plan at all), but I suspect he hasn't realized that two CONNECTING cabins are a choice. Two connecting standard rooms will give him up to 8 beds and two bathrooms, and with the door open between them, they might as well be one room -- he will have access to the kids, and that's certainly what he wanted when he said "one room". Also, connecting cabins are available in every category -- balcony, inside, whatever else -- so he can choose what he wants in a variety of price ranges and the area of the ship he prefers (forward vs. aft, low deck vs. higher deck).

In contrast, the family suites that will sleep six are few in number (so difficult to book), they have fewer square feet than two connecting rooms, and they have only one bathroom.

Edited by MrsPete

Four fold down bunk beds in an inside cabin. Or two connecting cabins. Or if they can afford it, go with a family suite?

Good luck.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

TOO MANY PEOPLE. Cabins are small unless you want to pay big bucks to get a big suite or something.

Do you really have to cruise? Right now? Why not go to an AI on land and get a two-bedroom adjoining suite? I love cruising, but sometimes you have to step back and ask whether being jammed into small rooms is your best bet, right now.

Even if allowed (and I'm sure the people are right who said it wouldn't be) cramming 6 people into a standard stateroom would be like packing sardines. We are taking along our 2 adult children for our upcoming Alaska cruise, and I upgraded to a larger cabin (aft balcony mini-suite) and made sure everyone understood and agreed that we would have to be VERY considerate of each other for this to work. (They are both eager to go so they agreed, but we are still planning for both doing-things-together time and doing-things-separately to minimize friction.)

Six people, one bathroom, makes for pretty cramped space. We have done 2 adults & 4 kids a few times, but in 2 bedroom suites. I would recommend adjoining rooms or a 2 bedroom suite. When we have traveled with extended family, we have added a kid to our room or had one of ours stay in another relatives room to adjust for capacity issues.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Six people, one bathroom, makes for pretty cramped space. We have done 2 adults & 4 kids a few times, but in 2 bedroom suites. I would recommend adjoining rooms or a 2 bedroom suite. When we have traveled with extended family, we have added a kid to our room or had one of ours stay in another relatives room to adjust for capacity issues.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

2 bedroom mini-suite, sounds perfect for the OP.

Happy cruising and good health in 2017, if the Lord wills..

Edited by Kingofcool1947

:confused:

Even if allowed (and I'm sure the people are right who said it wouldn't be) cramming 6 people into a standard stateroom would be like packing sardines. We are taking along our 2 adult children for our upcoming Alaska cruise, and I upgraded to a larger cabin (aft balcony mini-suite) and made sure everyone understood and agreed that we would have to be VERY considerate of each other for this to work. (They are both eager to go so they agreed, but we are still planning for both doing-things-together time and doing-things-separately to minimize friction.)

In a standsrd mini-suite, do all four adults sleep together in one room?

Happy cruising and have good health in 2017, if the Lord wills.

Edited by Kingofcool1947