Out of control dog on the Amsterdam

Windsailer

When a passenger could not be specific, they did not travel. Did they get upset, yes. Were there tears & threats, yes, however suits were not instigated because we followed proper protocol. One of my favorites was a lady that has her dog in a carrier. When asked about the task, she said he dog alerted her about seizures. I needed specifics, and she said the dog licked her. IN A CARRIER???? The animals need to have close contact to sense a seizure. Had the dog not been in a carrier, it would have gone.

That aspect of my job was hard. It is never any fun refusing service to anyone, but it kept problems to other to a minimum. Thee tough part was denying service to people that had "notes" from their doctors. Not only was I not allowed to look at them, but the doctors were not informed that we could not look at them. They just gave notes for "companions" to get individuals out of their office.

One other note, service men/women with dogs just have to say the dog handles PSD. We had no problem with that and generally had not questions, unless the person seemed too young.

I bolded the sentence about the dog needing to have close contact to detect seizures.. I'm not so sure that you are correct.. A good Friend is on the Board of a Condo Assoc...A Lady in their Condo has a service dog which detects seizures...Several weeks ago the lady was outside doing some Gardening work & the dog started to bark inside the unit & kept it up.. The lady did not pay attention except to keep telling the dog to stop the barking.. Unfortunately, she had a seizure outside in the garden & became unconscious for a few minutes.. Had she been inside she would have been prepared for it..

Perhaps someone who is a handler of a Service Dog which detects seizures will weigh in on this question?

Edited by serendipity1499

I just find out from an attorney that I can go on line and fill out an application for a service dog. My wife decided to do it and make me the service dog so she can keep me on a leash :D

That's O.K. as long as you don't sit on her lap and eat in the Lido, bark incessantly when she leaves you alone and she cleans up after you.

Wannagonow: early in the thread someone wrote the woman had said the dog alerted her if her blood pressure went up.

I am not at all trying to be contrary, but I do not understand. How does a service dog know when it's owner's blood pressure rises or goes down?

Is this really a function of a service dog? I am asking a legitimate question because I do not know the answer.

Terri

I just find out from an attorney that I can go on line and fill out an application for a service dog. My wife decided to do it and make me the service dog so she can keep me on a leash :D

That's O.K. as long as you don't sit on her lap and eat in the Lido, bark incessantly when she leaves you alone and she cleans up after you.

OH My!!! I can picture it now..:D:D:D:D

With this I'll say Goodnight folks I'm beat & headed to bed with Brandy my Non-service dog.. Will give DH a chance to use the computer..

Tank goodness this is the last week as bought him a mini IPad as a surprise for Christmas ..

With this I'll say Goodnight folks I'm beat & headed to bed with Brandy my Non-service dog.. Will give DH a chance to use the computer..

Tank goodness this is the last week as bought him a mini IPad as a surprise for Christmas ..

It won't be a surprise I'd he reads this thread. 😳

Sounds like "Brandy IS working" :D

And my DH never reads the threads.

Have a good one! :)

I am not at all trying to be contrary, but I do not understand. How does a service dog know when it's owner's blood pressure rises or goes down?

Is this really a function of a service dog? I am asking a legitimate question because I do not know the answer.

Terri

Totally agree with you. Maybe the dogs name is "Sphyg"

Terri

I'm not quite sure how it works, either, with blood pressure. I think with seizures, the dog can smell a change in the person's sweat, or somehow. I don't know how it would work from a distance. Dogs' noses are much more sensitive than ours.

Terri

Another article re Diabetic alert dogs here:

http://www.diabeticalertdogsofamerica.com/

Quote Diabetic Alert Dogs are trained to alert diabetic owners in advance of low (hypoglycemia) or high (hyperglycemia) blood sugar events before they become dangerous, so their owners can take steps to return their blood sugar to normal. Diabetic Alert Dogs of America serves individuals of all ages and families affected by Diabetes throughout the entire United States. Unquote

Another article re Diabetic alert dogs here:

http://www.diabeticalertdogsofamerica.com/

Quote Diabetic Alert Dogs are trained to alert diabetic owners in advance of low (hypoglycemia) or high (hyperglycemia) blood sugar events before they become dangerous, so their owners can take steps to return their blood sugar to normal. Diabetic Alert Dogs of America serves individuals of all ages and families affected by Diabetes throughout the entire United States. Unquote

Betty,

My question was about service dogs alerting changes in blood pressure not blood sugar. Thanks.

Terri

Betty,

My question was about service dogs alerting changes in blood pressure not blood sugar. Thanks.

Terri

Building on YOUR question, if the person is alerted to blood pressure changes, what does the person do in response? I'm wondering what action the person takes to mitigate the issue once they are aware. (Sorry if this sounds like an odd question, but I don't know anyone with blood pressure issues so severe that they need a service animal to alert them to changes....)

Building on YOUR question, if the person is alerted to blood pressure changes, what does the person do in response? I'm wondering what action the person takes to mitigate the issue once they are aware. (Sorry if this sounds like an odd question, but I don't know anyone with blood pressure issues so severe that they need a service animal to alert them to changes....)

I was wondering the same thing, CowPrincess.

That's a very interesting question. As far as I know (which isn't a lot:rolleyes:) there is no magic medication that can instantly lower blood pressure, even if a dog was able to alert you to it.

I also say excellent question.

I freely admit not knowing anything about these types of dogs and I am curious.

I know diabetics who know by the way they feel if their sugar is high or low and will test themselves or take what they need to take to regulate themselves. Don't understand how a dog would know this.

I know diabetics who know by the way they feel if their sugar is high or low and will test themselves or take what they need to take to regulate themselves. Don't understand how a dog would know this.

Truth or Fiction I don't know, but as part of the plot line for an episode of NCIS it was said that when one of the characters blood sugar was off he had a distinct but not overwhelming smell. Maybe others do as well which is enough for the dog to smell but not necessarily humans.

My friend's service dog detects by smell when her blood sugar is dangerously low. Before she had the dog, she went into a coma from the extremely low blood sugar. Hope this helps, and Merry Christmas.

LC

Truth or Fiction I don't know, but as part of the plot line for an episode of NCIS it was said that when one of the characters blood sugar was off he had a distinct but not overwhelming smell. Maybe others do as well which is enough for the dog to smell but not necessarily humans.

Oooh. As a diabetic I hope it's a pleasant smell.:o:(

My friend's service dog detects by smell when her blood sugar is dangerously low. Before she had the dog, she went into a coma from the extremely low blood sugar. Hope this helps, and Merry Christmas.

LC

Oooh. As a diabetic I hope it's a pleasant smell.:o:(

The show described it as "Fruity", but I will defer to LandlockedColorado who has more direct knowledge.

The show described it as "Fruity", but I will defer to LandlockedColorado who has more direct knowledge.

Makes sense to me, Rich. I also think mosquitos know :D

As both a diabetic and someone who has to watch my blood pressure, I'm curious how a service dog could detect high or low blood pressure. (and what a person would do to correct the blood pressure quickly).

I'm too lazy to look it up, hoping someone here knows. :D

I'm sorry I can't be more specific in describing the smell; never thought to ask my friend. We're out of town for two weeks right now so am sure someone else can be more timely with a description.

LC