Out of control dog on the Amsterdam

Windsailer

serendipity1499, in this case, I believe I am correct to say that the owner is not blind...........being a moot point.

The dog was seen pooping outside the elevator, as someone said, and did not tell the crew but walked away. If true in this case, she should have picked it up as she appeared able to do so. She was wheeling the dog around in a stroller and acted superior to everyone. You or I would have picked it up, disability or not. If this dog was a service dog at one time, it has been ruined. Will your friend know if service dogs have to be requalified every year or so?

Ocean Dancer I did not quote you? :confused: I was questioning a post written by Beagle & Tarpeian Rock..

Don't understand why you are answering me.. I'm only asking how they would expect a Blind Person to pick up after a Service Dog & there is no question about a horse being boarded on a HALship! :eek: Please read the two posts I am questioning..:)

I do not wish to get into a discussion about this dog any more only because not one person who has posted on THIS THREAD saw the dog poop or bark & I'm waiting to hear from Psgrs. who were on this cruise & find out exactly what they observed.. IMO This entire thread s based on a Facebook post by an anonymous poster, & I also am embarrassed to say I took the bait..LOL

Yes, my Friend will know the answer about annual reviews..I will see her on Thursday at school & hopefully will have a chance to talk about this thread..She & her DH might even read this thread as I gave them the URL & asked if they would be willing to be quoted..

Edited by serendipity1499

Part of the definition of a true service animal is that they are 100% housebroken and can actually hold it until they are given the command to go. Obviously if they are ill that may be a different story.

I know that & completely understand that as we have two True Service Dogs working with us.. All I'm asking is when HAL provides the place did my Friend the Puppy Raiser clean it up & if so how would a Blind Person clean it up..

My Friends adopted their two beautiful Labgs, after they spent a few years with a Blind handler.. When they raise the the Puppy's they have once a week training sessions with South Eastern Guide dogs..She always say's to her dogs "buisy" & they go.. We laugh about it , because when I say to "Brandy" (our little wire haired Dachshund) "Buisy", she looks at me like I'm nuts.. LOL :) That's why I carry Doggie clean up bags with me & occasionally forget to take them out of pockets before laundering them..:eek:

Edited by serendipity1499

Service dogs help many people who are not blind. Of course a blind person would have trouble cleaning up if their service dog had an accident, but as others have pointed out, TRUE service dogs are trained to eliminate in appropriate places. That does not include indoors, next to an elevator.

Miniature horses ARE covered under a separate provision of the ADA. I suppose a cruise line could decide that they cannot make reasonable accommodation for such an animal.

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

I wasn't aware that people were only allowed to reply to posts in which they were quoted.

And I DID read post 20, when it was posted, thank you very much.

Edited by BeagleOne

Please advise how a Blind Person would be able to clean up after their Service Dog? HAL provides an area for the Service dog to defecate & as far as I know the Crew would do the Clean up..I've just e-mailed my Friends who raise Service Dogs from Puppy's to ask about this.. Will post on this thread when I get an answer.. Better yet, Perhaps they will join CC & post for themselves, since they are currently raising these puppy's ..

The ADA only recognizes DOGS as Service Animals & HAL only takes Service Animals on board..Don't worry they do not take companion Animals, so a horse would never be boarded..

Suggest you read Post 20..Ham OP quotes the ADA rules..

I don't know the mechanics of how she does it, but there is a blind woman who lives down the street from us and she frequently walks past our house with her service dog. My kitchen window faces the street and I have observed this woman cleaning up after her dog made a deposit on our front lawn. The point is that it is possible when one is dealing with a true service dog and a responsible handler, both of whom have obviously had schooling in the art.

That being said, I don't think HAL expects that a passenger with a service dog clean up when an authorized area is used (as opposed to an unauthorized area).

2 thoughts: I find it interesting how this thread was becoming "Out of control" until Jeff spoke up and added some common sense to it. Also, with the current ADA laws, exactly what could the Hotel Manager or the Guest Relations Manager done differently? You can say "monitor more closely", but what does that mean?

IMHO, as someone who was on the cruise, a lot of the hostility could have been avoided at the very start had HAL insisted that the "service dog" wear a service dog jacket at all times when in public areas instead of a multitude of costumes. The parading around of a dog in costume (and parading around is what she did) gave passengers the idea that this animal was a pet and set up a lot of hostility toward this woman before the egregious misbehavior became known. At that point, I believe passengers were looking for misbehavior because of the woman's entitlement attitude and provocative behavior.

Also in IMHO with regard to Jeff, I would never publically criticize HAL if I was enjoying the benefits of being in the President's Club.

IMHO, as someone who was on the cruise, a lot of the hostility could have been avoided at the very start had HAL insisted that the "service dog" wear a service dog jacket at all times when in public areas instead of a multitude of costumes. The parading around of a dog in costume (and parading around is what she did) gave passengers the idea that this animal was a pet and set up a lot of hostility toward this woman before the egregious misbehavior became known. At that point, I believe passengers were looking for misbehavior because of the woman's entitlement attitude and provocative behavior.

Also in IMHO with regard to Jeff, I would never publically criticize HAL if I was enjoying the benefits of being in the President's Club.

Thanks very much for posting the cabin number (I am sure some on the next cruise will appreciate this a lot!) and for your above quoted post.

It is great that you have taken the time to post and I agree with your take on the whole situation and Jeff's attitude, as well.

This is probably my last post of the day as I am on WiFi at the San Diego airport. For all of you who are waiting the hear from the passengers:

Here is what I have personally seen:

• The dog all dressed up – this dog appears to have a larger wardrobe than I do.
  • The dog sitting in a wheelchair wearing rhinestones and being pushed by the woman into the Black and Silver Ball.
  • 8x10 photos taken by the ship’s photographer, to include one photo from cooking class.
  • The dog being spoken to as if it were a child “Sandy, come to mommy.”
  • The dog standing on its hind legs and performing tricks in the Lido.
  • The dog being walked and babysat by Front Office Staff, mostly on leash but also off leash near the elevators.
  • I almost tripped over the dog in the library/computer area. The woman was using a public computer and I was walking past. I was not looking at the floor but was looking at the seating area beyond as I was looking for where my husband was seated and I did not expect an obstacle in the aisle. The dog was at the end of its leash and lying on the floor about two feet from the woman.
  • The dog pulling at the end of the leash attempting to go in a direction other than the direction the woman was headed in.
  • The dog barked in the middle of a demonstration in the Culinary Arts Center. This was not continuous barking, but it was loud. It was a cross between a bark and a growl, much like the noise a startled dog would make. I have also seen it bark on deck, again not a continuous bark.
  • The husband sitting on the bench across from the Front Office with the dog in his lap. The woman was not there.
  • The woman taking the dog, who was pulling at the end of its leash, through the Sunday Brunch Line. The leash was not held but was slipped over her wrist because she had a plate in each hand. There was no reason to take the dog through the serving line and cause a disruption as the woman’s husband was sitting at a nearby table and the dog could have stayed with him.
  • The woman and the dog at the far end of the Deck 3 aft hallway. The dog was off leash and had a toy. Although I did not see the woman throw the toy, the impression I got was that they were playing fetch. As my husband and I neared the aft stairway area (we were coming down the hallway from mid-ship) the dog let out a bark/growl at us, but did not lunge.
  • The woman on tour for 12 hours without the dog in a non-English speaking country where emergency response time is unknown. Yet the dog must be in the public restaurants where, should the need arise, medical attention is only minutes away?
  • On Saturday, the woman had the dog with her while she was taking photos during the Grand Buffet viewing. I saw the dog sniffing at another person’s foot (not a huge problem as the person was busy taking photographs and didn’t appear to realize what was happening). Also, the woman was holding the leash in her left hand and the leash was wrapped around behind her with the dog off to her right. To me, this is evidence that the dog is not trained.

IMHO, these behaviors are inappropriate to the function of a legitimate service dog and handler and I have come to the conclusion that the dog is a pet with purchased papers. None of the above behaviors are worthy of concern individually. However, it is the cumulative effect of seeing the ongoing abuse of the protections afforded under the ADA that is offensive to me as a passenger who paid good money to go on a “no pets allowed” cruise and it makes a mockery of legitimate service animals that perform a valuable service for their responsible handlers.

Moving on to what I have heard from friends who have witnessed the following behaviors and what I believe to be true:

• A good friend with whom I have previously cruised did not witness the deposit that was made near the Lido elevators. However, he walked by the area shortly thereafter and witnessed two staff members talking near a yellow caution cone. One of the staff lifted the cone to show the other what was under it, and my friend observed the poop that was under it. Later, my husband approached Henk Mensink, the Hotel Director, about the poop on the Lido carpet and Henk’s response was “We are aware of the incident.” This is enough confirmation for me to believe that this really did happen.
  • Very early on in the cruise before the dog lady stories started circulating, a table mate who has a cabin a few doors down from the dog lady complained to us on several occasions that the dog barks at 5:00 am and wakes her up. Another woman on the Sydney to Hawaii leg who joined us for trivia also complained to us about being awoken by barking.
  • A friend told me after returning from the Russian Tea Tour in Kodiak that the dog barked so much that the woman had to put her hand around its muzzle and that the woman had a confrontation with the tour guide over cleaning up poop. My friend said that the owners did ultimately clean up the poop but only after telling the guide that they did not have to clean it because the dog was a service dog. The guide stuck to her guns and insisted they clean it up.

And in the category of unconfirmed rumors:

• The poop in the Lido was not the only incident of poop in public areas.
  • The dog poops in the stateroom requiring that the mattress be changed. My dinner mate confirmed that she saw that the mattress was changed but could not confirm the reason.
  • The dog was left alone in the stateroom and was “going crazy” barking.
  • The dog had fleas (this is within the realm of possibility as I was on tour with the woman and her dog and we spend several hours at an island beach BBQ in Fiji).

Whether one sees these incidents and how one reacts has a lot to do with timing and one’s location on the ship (we were starboard, mid-ship on Deck 3 and she was starboard aft on Deck 3). There were all kinds of stories going around about the “Glove Lady,” too, but I can confirm none of those stories. In fact when we heard the stories we weren’t even sure who the “Glove Lady” was without making an effort to look for her. The fact that I did not personally observe her strange behavior does not, in and of itself, make me believe or disbelieve the stories.

You have done a very complete reporting of the issue and I hope that you will print the listing and forward it to each of the departments at Holland America so that each department -- especially food and hotel departments are aware of how their staff should have handled the public health issues that this dog presented, as well as the physical hazards presented by a dog on and off leash.

The officers on the ship also need to bring the issue to management in Seattle. There needs to be a clear policy of how to certify that paperwork presented is authentic in order for service dogs to travel. Passengers are not allowed to travel if they don't have proper paperwork and service dogs need to follow the same standards. Obviously this was not a certified service dog.

Please forward the information to HAL and let them know you expect a response.

This is probably my last post of the day as I am on WiFi at the San Diego airport. For all of you who are waiting the hear from the passengers:

Here is what I have personally seen:

• The dog all dressed up – this dog appears to have a larger wardrobe than I do.
  • The dog sitting in a wheelchair wearing rhinestones and being pushed by the woman into the Black and Silver Ball.
  • 8x10 photos taken by the ship’s photographer, to include one photo from cooking class.
  • The dog being spoken to as if it were a child “Sandy, come to mommy.”
  • The dog standing on its hind legs and performing tricks in the Lido.
  • The dog being walked and babysat by Front Office Staff, mostly on leash but also off leash near the elevators.
  • I almost tripped over the dog in the library/computer area. The woman was using a public computer and I was walking past. I was not looking at the floor but was looking at the seating area beyond as I was looking for where my husband was seated and I did not expect an obstacle in the aisle. The dog was at the end of its leash and lying on the floor about two feet from the woman.
  • The dog pulling at the end of the leash attempting to go in a direction other than the direction the woman was headed in.
  • The dog barked in the middle of a demonstration in the Culinary Arts Center. This was not continuous barking, but it was loud. It was a cross between a bark and a growl, much like the noise a startled dog would make. I have also seen it bark on deck, again not a continuous bark.
  • The husband sitting on the bench across from the Front Office with the dog in his lap. The woman was not there.
  • The woman taking the dog, who was pulling at the end of its leash, through the Sunday Brunch Line. The leash was not held but was slipped over her wrist because she had a plate in each hand. There was no reason to take the dog through the serving line and cause a disruption as the woman’s husband was sitting at a nearby table and the dog could have stayed with him.
  • The woman and the dog at the far end of the Deck 3 aft hallway. The dog was off leash and had a toy. Although I did not see the woman throw the toy, the impression I got was that they were playing fetch. As my husband and I neared the aft stairway area (we were coming down the hallway from mid-ship) the dog let out a bark/growl at us, but did not lunge.
  • The woman on tour for 12 hours without the dog in a non-English speaking country where emergency response time is unknown. Yet the dog must be in the public restaurants where, should the need arise, medical attention is only minutes away?
  • On Saturday, the woman had the dog with her while she was taking photos during the Grand Buffet viewing. I saw the dog sniffing at another person’s foot (not a huge problem as the person was busy taking photographs and didn’t appear to realize what was happening). Also, the woman was holding the leash in her left hand and the leash was wrapped around behind her with the dog off to her right. To me, this is evidence that the dog is not trained.

IMHO, these behaviors are inappropriate to the function of a legitimate service dog and handler and I have come to the conclusion that the dog is a pet with purchased papers. None of the above behaviors are worthy of concern individually. However, it is the cumulative effect of seeing the ongoing abuse of the protections afforded under the ADA that is offensive to me as a passenger who paid good money to go on a “no pets allowed” cruise and it makes a mockery of legitimate service animals that perform a valuable service for their responsible handlers.

Moving on to what I have heard from friends who have witnessed the following behaviors and what I believe to be true:

• A good friend with whom I have previously cruised did not witness the deposit that was made near the Lido elevators. However, he walked by the area shortly thereafter and witnessed two staff members talking near a yellow caution cone. One of the staff lifted the cone to show the other what was under it, and my friend observed the poop that was under it. Later, my husband approached Henk Mensink, the Hotel Director, about the poop on the Lido carpet and Henk’s response was “We are aware of the incident.” This is enough confirmation for me to believe that this really did happen.
  • Very early on in the cruise before the dog lady stories started circulating, a table mate who has a cabin a few doors down from the dog lady complained to us on several occasions that the dog barks at 5:00 am and wakes her up. Another woman on the Sydney to Hawaii leg who joined us for trivia also complained to us about being awoken by barking.
  • A friend told me after returning from the Russian Tea Tour in Kodiak that the dog barked so much that the woman had to put her hand around its muzzle and that the woman had a confrontation with the tour guide over cleaning up poop. My friend said that the owners did ultimately clean up the poop but only after telling the guide that they did not have to clean it because the dog was a service dog. The guide stuck to her guns and insisted they clean it up.

And in the category of unconfirmed rumors:

• The poop in the Lido was not the only incident of poop in public areas.
  • The dog poops in the stateroom requiring that the mattress be changed. My dinner mate confirmed that she saw that the mattress was changed but could not confirm the reason.
  • The dog was left alone in the stateroom and was “going crazy” barking.
  • The dog had fleas (this is within the realm of possibility as I was on tour with the woman and her dog and we spend several hours at an island beach BBQ in Fiji).

Whether one sees these incidents and how one reacts has a lot to do with timing and one’s location on the ship (we were starboard, mid-ship on Deck 3 and she was starboard aft on Deck 3). There were all kinds of stories going around about the “Glove Lady,” too, but I can confirm none of those stories. In fact when we heard the stories we weren’t even sure who the “Glove Lady” was without making an effort to look for her. The fact that I did not personally observe her strange behavior does not, in and of itself, make me believe or disbelieve the stories.

I appreciate the time and thought you have put into this post. I agree with your conclusions and would suggest, with oaktreerb, that you send this to HAL, Guest Relations Department. With a new HAL President perhaps there will be some interest in this issue. There should be, certainly.

I appreciate the time and thought you have put into this post. I agree with your conclusions and would suggest, with oaktreerb, that you send this to HAL, Guest Relations Department. With a new HAL President perhaps there will be some interest in this issue. There should be, certainly.

Totally agree with this.

After all that's been posted about this passenger, and her little dog, too, there is no doubt in my mind that things were going on that needed attention, and that appropriate attention was not given by the ship's management. One does not have to see all the behaviors to see the results, or to know they fit in with a pattern of what has been seen.

The passengers who were on this cruise should not have had to put up with this. No passengers in the future should have to put up with this kind of thing.

I hope Seattle is told, and that an appropriate protocol is established---and enforced.

The worst part about this story and others like it (usually not encountered at sea, but not uncommon on land) is that there are people who have a genuine need for support from dogs. I know and work with veterans who have service dogs to address a variety of conditions, they are amazing animals who do almost unbelievable things to improve the quality of life for those they help. They are also amazingly well-trained, behave in way that is a credit to their species and the humans they assist are so incredibly grateful for the improvements made in their lives. My assessment is that generally if there is any doubt, it probably isn't a legitimate service dog, those that are legitimate go through extensive training programs and their behavior reflects it.

I hope that those who need and have genuine service dogs will continue to cruise and be treated well. I hope that those that lie, manipulate and deceive will not be welcomed back.

Knowing nothing about service animals and the documentation required, this has been a true eye-opener for me.

I am amazed that one can get bogus documents on the internet for a price. My question is: Isn't there a way to determine the validity of these documents? And if there is, why isn't it in place on cruise ships?

Terri

Totally agree with this.

After all that's been posted about this passenger, and her little dog, too, there is no doubt in my mind that things were going on that needed attention, and that appropriate attention was not given by the ship's management. One does not have to see all the behaviors to see the results, or to know they fit in with a pattern of what has been seen.

The passengers who were on this cruise should not have had to put up with this. No passengers in the future should have to put up with this kind of thing.

I hope Seattle is told, and that an appropriate protocol is established---and enforced.

Ruth

I do think that in this case the ship was being told by Seattle exactly and specifically what they could and could not do with this situation.

I have sailed with Captain Eversen, HD Henk M. and GRM Crystal M and cannot imagine that they were happy with the state of affairs on their ship.

I doubt if HAL would ever leave this type of situation, which just screams "law suit", to the discretion of the ship officers. No doubt HAL/CCL lawyers are very, very aware of the problems involved. HAL is apparently being sued in respect to the service animal issue and the cruise lines would be waiting with baited breathe to see what the parameters are for the future.

I feel sorry for the ships' crew. A no win situation.

The worst part about this story and others like it (usually not encountered at sea, but not uncommon on land) is that there are people who have a genuine need for support from dogs. I know and work with veterans who have service dogs to address a variety of conditions, they are amazing animals who do almost unbelievable things to improve the quality of life for those they help. They are also amazingly well-trained, behave in way that is a credit to their species and the humans they assist are so incredibly grateful for the improvements made in their lives. My assessment is that generally if there is any doubt, it probably isn't a legitimate service dog, those that are legitimate go through extensive training programs and their behavior reflects it.

I hope that those who need and have genuine service dogs will continue to cruise and be treated well. I hope that those that lie, manipulate and deceive will not be welcomed back.

Good post.

This makes me wonder if HAL bans pax from their ships. I do know that a couple were banned from Regent several years ago. Probably happens a bit.

In this present case, I suppose banning this pax could be seen as discrimination, with the way the whole service animal "certification" is handled.

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us the whole story. The owner's behavior is incomprehensible and unfair to those people who truly need a service dog. I hope that you follow up with Holland America. Thank goodness she is not on my next cruise as I would have a hard time dealing with it.

Knowing nothing about service animals and the documentation required, this has been a true eye-opener for me.

I am amazed that one can get bogus documents on the internet for a price. My question is: Isn't there a way to determine the validity of these documents? And if there is, why isn't it in place on cruise ships?

Terri

Me, too. What an eye-opener.

Good question: this lack of ability to validate these documents is really and truly terrible and an insult to those who go by the rules.

I love dogs. If I couldn't travel with my dog I would kennel her or stay home.

After reading what people say they observed: this animal is clearly not a service animal. The passenger seems to have scammed HAL with bogus ADA documentation.

They should have deactivated her entire party's ship cards and confined them to their stateroom, and then put them off the ship at the first american port, to be arrested for fraud.

"The rules don't apply to ME" is an attitude we can all do without.

Am I too harsh? I would not want to endure dog **** underfoot or barking on a ship.

Ruth

I do think that in this case the ship was being told by Seattle exactly and specifically what they could and could not do with this situation.

Oh, no doubt. In cases such as this the home office takes over jurisdiction, as they are more concerned with CYA than doing what's right. Back in Seattle every one was afraid to stick their neck out, while setting a terrible precedent.

Originally Posted by Ocean Dancer

serendipity1499, in this case, I believe I am correct to say that the owner is not blind...........being a moot point.

The dog was seen pooping outside the elevator, as someone said, and did not tell the crew but walked away. If true in this case, she should have picked it up as she appeared able to do so. She was wheeling the dog around in a stroller and acted superior to everyone. You or I would have picked it up, disability or not. If this dog was a service dog at one time, it has been ruined. Will your friend know if service dogs have to be requalified every year or so?

Ocean Dancer I did not quote you? I was questioning a post written by Beagle & Tarpeian Rock..

Don't understand why you are answering me.. I'm only asking how they would expect a Blind Person to pick up after a Service Dog & there is no question about a horse being boarded on a HALship! Please read the two posts I am questioning..

Serendipity, my oringinal post and your reply are above, sorry I do not understand how to double hi light multiple posts.

I am quite sure I am able to post my thoughts to whom ever I want. You WERE talking about a blind person and what the rules were regarding the clean up. As this person is Not blind, I felt that this thread did not have to go down any more trails then it already has. I also never mentioned a horse, what do you mean to me about that?

I did mention chickens many paged back to lighten up the thread, which worked for awhile.

I do not know if I should be offended by your post as CC rules say I may post my thoughts...........which was a moot point in this thread. I too also did not know that one COULD only POST to quoted comments.:confused:

Terri

Me, too. What an eye-opener.

I think we would all be terrified if we actually knew the number of people who applied for and were successful in obtaining quality employment using forged university diplomas or MBA's or PhD's purchased online. :eek:

I do not know if I should be offended by your post as CC rules say I may post my thoughts...........which was a moot point in this thread. I too also did not know that one COULD only POST to quoted comments.:confused:

Oh, you can respond to any post you wish. Someone apparently was having a bad day and chose to take it out on you, me, and Tarpeian Rock.

Cruzin Terri, to my knowledge the ADA specifically PROHIBITS requiring documentation for service dogs. The owner can be asked two questions: Is this a service animal for a disability? What tasks is the animal trained to perform? That's it.

That really, really needs to change. People who legitimately need service animals should have no problem providing some acceptable ID for them, and the law needs to be changed to establish just what that is. Scammers just need to go away. It's getting out of control.

JB&JLG74, thank you for your excellent, objective post.

Edited by BeagleOne

Why didn't any other guests approach the pet owner and confront them? Not in a mean or nasty way; but as a guest you aren't subject to the ADA rules that this person OBVIOUSLY just hides behind in order to "have their way".

There is not a chance in the world I would share any dining areas with a dog. A dog eating from the table is not sanitary and NOT what I pay for when I go on a cruise ship.

HAL has decided they do not need to have a backbone and can cater to one special snowflake guest who is playing games versus the larger multitude that are having their vacations negatively impacted. I bet this lady just didn't want to pay for room and board for her pet at a kennel. Gee, do you think she gave the crew one extra cent that were scooping up dog crap? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by LMaxwell