Out of control dog on the Amsterdam

Windsailer

Unfortunatly, Yoshikitty and cruisemom42, what the cruise lines say, or what is in thier printed rules..........is not followed through in actual reality. This is basically what this thread is all about.

I understand that, and clearly it's a problem.

But there is a difference between saying something is "not correct" and saying it is "not followed." That's all I was trying to point out.

Far more information than I care to know.

Hmmm.. Others wanted to know even though you may not care to know!

I posted this because it was questioned on this thread, how a blind person would be able to pick up after their dog & also if all handlers are required to pick up after their dogs according to the ADA.. The answer is YES!

I posted this because it was questioned on this thread, how a blind person would be able to pick up after their dog & also if all handlers are required to pick up after their dogs according to the ADA.. The answer is YES!

Thanks for posting the explanation. I did wonder how someone who is blind would "pick up" after their dog.

I appreciated you finding out and posting the info. Thank you!

So, did anyone get any pictures or videos for this out of control dog owner or

the dog? I find it interesting if not..... Just saying

There is a lady who documented everything with pictures and fully intended on sending all material to Holland America Seattle, once again it wasn't so much the dog that was out of control but the lady who owned the dog, she felt she had an entitlement over everyone else, I did the Great Wall tour with her on the bus and believe me, I never booked another tour after that. I also agree with the other poster who commented on the fact that the behavior of people was far worse than the dog, while on the great wall tour a tall gentleman who I knew because of his height was looking for a seat with more leg room and was told by the lady behind him to pick a seat and sit his fat ass down, that is how our day started. I can honestly say we will never do a long cruise again and it had nothing to do with our room, the staff, the food or the ship...it's because of the attitude of a lot people on board. If I had to hear "Well when I was on the world cruise" one more time I was going to scream. From now on we will do 30 day cruises and connect different itineraries, but never another grand or world cruise.

Edited by 6701wall

There is a lady who documented everything with pictures and fully intended on sending all material to Holland America Seattle, once again it wasn't so much the dog that was out of control but the lady who owned the dog, she felt she had an entitlement over everyone else, I did the Great Wall tour with her on the bus and believe me, I never booked another tour after that. I also agree with the other poster who commented on the fact that the behavior of people was far worse than the dog, while on the great wall tour a tall gentleman who I knew because of his height was looking for a seat with more leg room and was told by the lady behind him to pick a seat and sit his fat ass down, that is how our day started. I can honestly say we will never do a long cruise again and it had nothing to do with our room, the staff, the food or the ship...it's because of the attitude of a lot people on board. If I had to hear "Well when I was on the world cruise" one more time I was going to scream. From now on we will do 30 day cruises and connect different itineraries, but never another grand or world cruise.

I can't tell you how much your experience matched mine on our 75 day Grand Asia cruise two years ago. You can read my review at the link. Beware, however, I was totally excoriated for my comments.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1751576

Which just goes to show that having money (to be able to do such cruises as the WC and Grant) does not mean you have the class. Had that woman been addressing me should would have received a tongue lashing that she would never forget - but very politely, of course;). I certainly hope she was put in her place.

Edited by Lizzie68

Which just goes to show that having money (to be able to do such cruises as the WC and Grant) does not mean you have the class. Had that woman been addressing me should would have received a tongue lashing that she would never forget - but very politely, of course;). I certainly hope she was put in her place.

Thanks for such an eloquent post:)

See the good lord watches over people like that woman on the bus , because they never say things like that to me or especially my DW.

She wants to embaress me like that in public , the gloves are off. She will get her tongue lashing and I don't care they are 90, they didn't take their medicine , that's the way they have always been, they just lost their spouse/child or what other sympathy play they use when they get called out.

I agree that it was more the woman than the dog. Most of the dog's behavior would have been acceptable at a pet friendly hotel. The problem was that this was a "no pets" venue so the dog's behavior, which wasn't up to service dog standards and screamed pet, was inappropriate to the circumstances no matter how cute the dog may have been in other circumstances.

I did notice early on in the cruise that there were many more rude people onboard than I am used to encountering. I don't think it was because of the length -- I didn't see it on my 2012 Grand South America. I tend to attribute it to the Amsterdam, which also does the World Cruises and has many Grand and World repeaters.

I agree that it was more the woman than the dog. Most of the dog's behavior would have been acceptable at a pet friendly hotel. The problem was that this was a "no pets" venue so the dog's behavior, which wasn't up to service dog standards and screamed pet, was inappropriate to the circumstances no matter how cute the dog may have been in other circumstances.

I did notice early on in the cruise that there were many more rude people onboard than I am used to encountering. I don't think it was because of the length -- I didn't see it on my 2012 Grand South America. I tend to attribute it to the Amsterdam, which also does the World Cruises and has many Grand and World repeaters.

I agree about the dog, it was in no way a service dog and HAL was snookered and as my husband said to them, I am sure you have a dream team of lawyers but someone dropped the ball in investigating whether this was a service dog or not. They claimed that this had never occurred before (a fake service animal on board) and that they in the future will look into the service animals prior to boarding. Now whether that will actually happen is another story lol. I couldn't believe the rudeness of people not only to other passengers but in the treatment of the staff, I tried to explain to a woman who berated the lovely girls serving food in the Lido that these folks don't earn a lot of money and that they are most respectful when dealing with passengers and should be treated the same way, I was told to mind my own bleeping business. Voila!

I agree about the dog, it was in no way a service dog and HAL was snookered and as my husband said to them, I am sure you have a dream team of lawyers but someone dropped the ball in investigating whether this was a service dog or not. They claimed that this had never occurred before (a fake service animal on board) and that they in the future will look into the service animals prior to boarding.

>SNIP<

(bolding mine)

Not sure why, but I am having trouble believing that statement -- not your report of the statement but the statement itself :D and :rolleyes:

As someone who has had the priviledge of sailing the Grands and the WC, plus a myriad of shorter cruises, do know that there are impolite, rude people EVERYWHERE but have not seen a disproportionate of these people number on grands or the WC. Just got off a 21-day Caribbean cruise and have never seen the drunks like on that cruise - but would never assume/say that all 21-day cruises are full of drunks.

I've only been on the two Grands -- 2012 S. America and 2014 Pacific and Far East. As I said, there was not a problem with an unusual number of rude people on the S. America trip so it may have just been bad luck with the Grand Pacific and Far East. For whatever reason, there were a lot of rude people this time.

I couldn't believe the rudeness of people not only to other passengers but in the treatment of the staff, I tried to explain to a woman who berated the lovely girls serving food in the Lido that these folks don't earn a lot of money and that they are most respectful when dealing with passengers and should be treated the same way, I was told to mind my own bleeping business. Voila!

Another story - on our last cruise there was a woman who was truly a misery! She usually sat near us in the Lido at breakfast time with a lovely American couple (she was not American). One morning she returned to the table empty-handed, and I heard her say she had really berated the cook as he had made her a 3-egg omelet when she had requested 2. She said he wouldn't soon forget what she had said to him. The very sweet American lady said; "I think you wouldn't have liked if someone had spoken to you that way", and the reply was "I guess I forgot to pack my manners"!:) Next packing thread that is definitely what I'm going to suggest - Pack your manners! (BTW, she continued being miserable, but perhaps not quite so rude to the staff.)

We just got off This cruise. I cannot believe these post with reference to the DOG. This was one of many Grand cruises on the Amsterdam and to spend time berating the cruise and staff over a dog and its owner what a waste. There was 1,000 passengers onboard over a period of 78 days, why this would disturb your vacation to the extent it obviously has is beyond me. If this is your only complaint all I can say is "it can only get better"

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just got off This cruise. I cannot believe these post with reference to the DOG. This was one of many Grand cruises on the Amsterdam and to spend time berating the cruise and staff over a dog and its owner what a waste. There was 1,000 passengers onboard over a period of 78 days, why this would disturb your vacation to the extent it obviously has is beyond me. If this is your only complaint all I can say is "it can only get better"

I thought Jeff the blogger checked in and said it was a non-issue?

I heard from someone on the cruise who said the dog was no problem at all.

Drama drama drama oy

Another story - on our last cruise there was a woman who was truly a misery! She usually sat near us in the Lido at breakfast time with a lovely American couple (she was not American). One morning she returned to the table empty-handed, and I heard her say she had really berated the cook as he had made her a 3-egg omelet when she had requested 2. She said he wouldn't soon forget what she had said to him. The very sweet American lady said; "I think you wouldn't have liked if someone had spoken to you that way", and the reply was "I guess I forgot to pack my manners"!:) Next packing thread that is definitely what I'm going to suggest - Pack your manners! (BTW, she continued being miserable, but perhaps not quite so rude to the staff.)

I think it really depends upon what your experience has been.

Vict0riann has set a good example. If you never see the person or the person with the dog is a non issue. If you see someone who is rude or someone who is just plain stupid with a dog, it is your experience.

Frankly, as a huge worker with the SPCA and a worker with service dogs, this thing is a big bother to me. Call me stupid but there are many wonderful service dogs out there and when someone abuses it, it puts a bad light on all of them which not one of these devoted animals deserves.

So, yes, for some of us it is a big deal. In more way than one. Abuse of this nature could curtail true service dogs coming on board or worse, more 'false' dogs come on board and passengers who have the "joy" to experience it are turned off service dogs.

A real service dog is a joy. It does not bounce up and down when working. It is down in the dining room and not dressed up.

Sorry, but I take this stuff seriously. One of my dogs was a service dog for a while. In service to the SPCA and could lure anyone to make a donation. He would sit still while three elevators worked with two escalators and people coming everywhere. And greet everyone in a sit position. That's a trained dog.

I don't like to see the dogs that do good coloured by owners that don't. Sorry for the vent, but this stuff is near and dear to my heart.

Oh,, and by the way, the dog's name is Kazu.

I think it really depends upon what your experience has been.

Vict0riann has set a good example. If you never see the person or the person with the dog is a non issue. If you see someone who is rude or someone who is just plain stupid with a dog, it is your experience.

Frankly, as a huge worker with the SPCA and a worker with service dogs, this thing is a big bother to me. Call me stupid but there are many wonderful service dogs out there and when someone abuses it, it puts a bad light on all of them which not one of these devoted animals deserves.

So, yes, for some of us it is a big deal. In more way than one. Abuse of this nature could curtail true service dogs coming on board or worse, more 'false' dogs come on board and passengers who have the "joy" to experience it are turned off service dogs.

A real service dog is a joy. It does not bounce up and down when working. It is down in the dining room and not dressed up.

Sorry, but I take this stuff seriously. One of my dogs was a service dog for a while. In service to the SPCA and could lure anyone to make a donation. He would sit still while three elevators worked with two escalators and people coming everywhere. And greet everyone in a sit position. That's a trained dog.

I don't like to see the dogs that do good coloured by owners that don't. Sorry for the vent, but this stuff is near and dear to my heart.

Oh,, and by the way, the dog's name is Kazu.

Very well said

I hate "beaters" of any kind .

Be it people who pass "fluffy" off as a service dog, or fake a disability for convenience or financial gain , or whatever .

A) they are a drain on the working shmoes like you and me that have to support them.

B) They give a black eye to the real victims or the people who really do need them