Out of control dog on the Amsterdam

Windsailer

Just curious. Does the ADA only apply in the US?

Yes, it's the Americans with Disabilities Act. However, that does not prevent the long arm of the US government from entering other jurisdictions sometimes. This is especially true when US citizens have been the victim of a crime in another country, but isn't always limited to that.

What would happen if this lady brought her dog into Canada? Don't think ADA would apply. Here it is governed by each province (but pretty standard across Canada)

Just curious. Does the ADA only apply in the US?

This is from my Province, British Columbia

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/guideanimal/q-a.htm

If you read what HAL says on bringing service animals on board.... they state that the owner is responsible for getting all necessary paper work for each country they visit... so ADA does not apply but Canada's rules would. However, ADA still applies on the ship. Also they warn that some countries will not allow the dog ashore and again, it is up to the owner to comply. The ADA applies only on allowing the dog on the ship and while on the ship.

Frankly, I would think a long cruise like that one would be very hard on the dog and also, I would worry about vet care if the dog got sick.

Susan

I just got home from 78 days, it was nice meeting you all.

What you are reading about the dog lady is true.I had so many complaints from your fellow cruisers from cruise critic that I had a meeting with Henk .I was told they are aware of the problems and they are doing their best with a bad situation. He had a meeting with her the day following, but to no avail I guess as the behaviour continued. I am sure they were worried about legalities. Anyhow the cruise was great and I think most of us just go with the flow and enjoy ourselves in spite of a few bad apples, cheers Guy

Thank you, Guy, for representing our Roll Call and speaking up to Henk about the problems onboard.

Welcome home.

Barbara

Been following this thread with much interest. I just read this in the news - so here you have it:rolleyes::mad: Hope the link works.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/confession---emotional-support--dogs-are-b-s----i-know-because-i-have-one-220152535.html

Edited by The Sunset Glow

Gee I need to get my boa certified as a comfort animal, afterall she gives greats hugs. And if I had been on that cruise, I could have invited the dog woman and her pet to have dinner with my Rover (yes my snakes name).

Oh my, coffee just went all over the desk. lol

Before we departed the Amsterdam in Hong Kong, those attending Craig's final Techspert class were given the opportunity to share our email with the ships staff. The purpose was so they could send, after the ship arrived in San Diego, an email with links to OneDrive, where handout files, videos and photos could be viewed. I just finished watching an included five minute "farewell" video of the crew, that served as a reminder, that the self-centered antics of "one bad egg", were overshadowed by what a Grand Voyage it was and how we were "SUPER" pampered by this world class crew. That and all the photos we took is what Grand Voyages are all about.:D

If I can get the CD's permission I would like to share those links here. IF not, then, I feel it is time to close this thread.:cool:

Before we departed the Amsterdam in Hong Kong, those attending Craig's final Techspert class were given the opportunity to share our email with the ships staff. The purpose was so they could send, after the ship arrived in San Diego, an email with links to OneDrive, where handout files, videos and photos could be viewed. I just finished watching an included five minute "farewell" video of the crew, that served as a reminder, that the self-centered antics of "one bad egg", were overshadowed by what a Grand Voyage it was and how we were "SUPER" pampered by this world class crew. That and all the photos we took is what Grand Voyages are all about.:D

If I can get the CD's permission I would like to share those links here. IF not, then, I feel it is time to close this thread.:cool:

Would be fantastic if you shared those links if you can. I would suggest starting a new thread though so that those who are interested can catch it.

Getting a reservation for the Kennel is not always easy. There is only room for 12 dogs and the facility tends to book are in advance. And those Kennels cost $500-$700 (they may have increased the price) with owners allowed to visit their dogs and take them out to the adjacent area. But the dogs are never permitted to leave that restricted Kennel area.

Hank

That's not correct - unfortunatley.

On our last crossing on QM2, we've seen a poodle in the King's court buffet and the supervisor won't do something against it. That dog certainly was not a service dog.

Edited by Yoshikitty

OK My Friend who is a trainer of Puppies for Southeastern Guide Dogs, explained to me that blind people do pick up after their dogs..

She showed me how to do it..

The handler works his/her hand from the dogs head down to it's tail & tells the dog to "busy".. When the dog finishes the handler bends straight down with the pick up bag & picks up the Poop..

They also do that when the ship prepares the place for the dog.. Usually it is a box with either chips, grass, etc. & they pcik up the same way..After a few days the ship usually hoses down the spot & replaces the grass chips, etc.

OK My Friend who is a trainer of Puppies for Southeastern Guide Dogs, explained to me that blind people do pick up after their dogs..

She showed me how to do it..

The handler works his/her hand from the dogs head down to it's tail & tells the dog to "busy".. When the dog finishes the handler bends straight down with the pick up bag & picks up the Poop..

They also do that when the ship prepares the place for the dog.. Usually it is a box with either chips, grass, etc. & they pcik up the same way..After a few days the ship usually hoses down the spot & replaces the grass chips, etc.

Far more information than I care to know.

That's not correct - unfortunatley.

On our last crossing on QM2, we've seen a poodle in the King's court buffet and the supervisor won't do something against it. That dog certainly was not a service dog.

It says quite clearly on Cunard's "Frequently Asked Questions" page:

Non-service animals are only carried on QUEEN MARY 2 Transatlantic Crossings, in kennels, and are not allowed to visit any guest area of the ship.

http://www.cunard.com/frequent-questions/