Using Ginger Root to avoid Sea Sickness

tgetz

AS much as I love to cruise, I still have to take lots of precautions to avoid sea sickness. In the past I have taken 4 ginger root capsules every day. Two in the am after breakfast and two in the pm after dinner. Both times with lots of water. THOSE PILL BOTTLES DIRECTIONS WERE TO TAKE TWO PILLS , TWO TO 5 TIMES A DAY. The directions never said specifically to avoid sea sickness just that was the directions. The capsules were 550 mg each.

Yesterday I went to go buy the capsules for our upcoming world cruise in 2018. Now the same bottle, same brand, same mg per capsule, only says take two capsules daily. I looked at other brands and they also only say two capsules of 550 mg per day. My question is, does anyone know if the 'industry' has changed what amount of ginger they think helps? Has anyone else dropped the amount of ginger they take if they try the ginger route. Does anyone have any idea how much ginger you really need to help with sea sickness. From what i read online, there are two different thoughts as to whether ginger even helps. I usually have at least one day when i am in bed from sea sickness when we are in rough waters, but i really like to limit the days. I take one 25 mg of meclizine each evening also, and more if the waters are rough. I also, always have motion eaze with me. Don't like the patch and the wrist thing , i am always afraid i don't have it in the correct spot. Any ideas on how much ginger to take, would be greatly appreciated.

As an herbal supplement, there is no "standard" for the amount to be taken for certain issues.

And ginger root/powder doesn't really prevent motion sickness, it is a treatment for the symptoms after you feel the effects of it....

I have ginger candy, too.;p Interesting the Gravol is the only one that mentions preventing motion sickness and it says to take 30 minutes before departing. Of course it is not a US product. More at liberty of what you can put on a label.

I also have Menier's disease so i am susceptible to dizziness at any time. But i can tell the difference in Menier's and motion sickness,. With Menier's the medicines i take to prevent it occuring, don't help prevent motion sickness, but the medicines when i am dizzy are the same.

My last cruise I took one 550 mg ginger tablet three times a day and had no issues at all. Usually I feel it and can't do anything but watch the horizon. Heard there were others who felt the weather and I'm thinking...wow I found something that works for me! We had 8 knot winds, 40 mile winds, and I want to saw 5-6 foot swells.

• Like 1

I have ginger candy, too.;p Interesting the Gravol is the only one that mentions preventing motion sickness and it says to take 30 minutes before departing. Of course it is not a US product. More at liberty of what you can put on a label.

I also have Menier's disease so i am susceptible to dizziness at any time. But i can tell the difference in Menier's and motion sickness,. With Menier's the medicines i take to prevent it occuring, don't help prevent motion sickness, but the medicines when i am dizzy are the same.

Hello tgetz,

I also have Meniere's disease and very susceptible to dizziness quite often. I really have to stay from salt and msgs.

David

Thanks Ksqueak. I think i will try that this trip. I will take one at each meal time. Rarely miss a meal. :-)

Dave_K8, yes i always have the ginger snap cookies handy, too. I buy them from World Market, Cost Plus, and they have a really pretty canister at Christmas.

Luvtwotrvl Oh yes i avoid high sodium products all the time and caffeine, too. I really miss the coffee and cappuccinos, but i don't miss passing out. I also avoid too much chocolate as chocolate has caffeine. I will eat a chocolate chip cookie occasionally but never chocolate candy, cake, pies , etc. You would think it would help me loose weight, but no.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and info.

DH who can be prone to mal de mer finds the ginger pills help him.

He only takes them IF he is feeling queezy.

I like the ginger from the yum yum man/woman and am good with that.

He doesn't take it every day unless there are issues.

If there are, he takes it twice a day but usually one pill helps him a lot. Just his experience, of course. ;)

DH who can be prone to mal de mer finds the ginger pills help him.

He only takes them IF he is feeling queezy.

I like the ginger from the yum yum man/woman and am good with that.

He doesn't take it every day unless there are issues.

If there are, he takes it twice a day but usually one pill helps him a lot. Just his experience, of course. ;)

Hi Jacqui!

Funny we do the same thing!

I like the ginger from THE YUM YUM PERSON too.

Denise:)

Ginger does not actually prevent motion sickness - what it seems to do quite effectively is alleviate the worst symptom: nausea.

Probably the best preventer of seasickness is experience -- many (if not most) people who experience seasickness their first time at sea have no problem on later sailings-- certainly the fact in the U S Navy.

It makes me wonder if taking drugs to prevent symptoms means that you have to keep taking them - might be better to bite the bullet, suffer through a bad day, and then be over it.

Of course, by exercising common sense: limiting alcohol, heavy or greasy food - getting fresh air, focusing on horizon rather than on own misery -- you can greatly diminish the negative effects --- rather than continually try to drug yourself .

My husband and I will bring ginger capsules along on every cruise. We usually take one just before sailaway as our experience has been that the seas are a slightly rougher the first night out. We'll then only take as needed if we see the swells are large.

Throughout the cruise I make sure I eat a green apple every day, and will grab some cracker packages to keep in the stateroom. Most times, just ensuring that you have a little bit of food in your stomach at all times helps keep any queasiness at bay.

AS much as I love to cruise, I still have to take lots of precautions to avoid sea sickness.
My wife and daughters all swear by Sea-Bands, which were recommended by our pharmacist before the kids first cruise in 2004. They are elastic wrist bands with a small disk that presses on a nerve junction or reflexology point in the wrist that affects motion sickness/nausea. None of them have ever been sea sick. They're available from multiple retailers.

My wife and daughters all swear by Sea-Bands, which were recommended by our pharmacist before the kids first cruise in 2004. They are elastic wrist bands with a small disk that presses on a nerve junction or reflexology point in the wrist that affects motion sickness/nausea. None of them have ever been sea sick. They're available from multiple retailers.

I should have added Sea Bands to my list of precautions as well in my post. I have two sets...one light blue and one black (the black ones are great for formal night!) and again will use them only if I see the seas picking up.

I have no idea if they work because of the pressure point OR because psychologically I have them on. Doesn't matter to me...because I feel they help. YMMV.

I suffered from seasickness terribly on my first few cruises until I discovered the Sea Bands. I was quite skeptical at first but figured they were worth a try. They really do work for me. I haven't felt ill on a cruise since.

Now whether it is all in my mind or they actually do prevent seasickness is immaterial to me. All that matters is that I am no longer subject to mal de mer.

I did try the Gravol Ginger pills at one point and found them helpful but they gave me heartburn.

I haven't tried ginger capsules. I take along candied ginger and ginger tea bags. I haven't had any problems with motion sickness on cruise ships. The only time I've felt a little bit seasick has been on tenders and other small boats.

I suffered from seasickness terribly on my first few cruises until I discovered the Sea Bands. I was quite skeptical at first but figured they were worth a try. They really do work for me. I haven't felt ill on a cruise since.

Now whether it is all in my mind or they actually do prevent seasickness is immaterial to me. All that matters is that I am no longer subject to mal de mer.

I did try the Gravol Ginger pills at one point and found them helpful but they gave me heartburn.

Since Sea Bands obviously help a lot of people, it makes no difference if the effect is because of pressure points or because they simply make you feel you are doing something. With many conditions, attitude plays a significant role - so if something works, the important thing is that it works --- how it works is just an interesting academic question, but not as important as the fact that it does work.

If you have a tendency toward car sickness or seasickness, ginger alone might not be enough. The most sick I remember being was in the back seat of of a car on the California coast. I took a whole bottle of ginger capsules and they didn't help at all! I take Bonine. It helps the most, but if I takes too much it makes me sleepy. Combining seabands, ginger, and Meclizine (Bonine) is the best of all. I don't use scopolamine patches because they can sometimes cause blurry vision and a dry mouth. On the Alaska cruise I just went on, folks in my group we're doing anything possible to treat seasickness that last night with the ship rocking. I saw patch sharing, Bonine being passed around, ginger candy being dug for. I could hardly pack without sitting down and resting. It was pretty awful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our recent Zuiderdam cruise (Norway/Scotland), we had one day with fairly rough seas. The Neptune Lounge concierges were promoting green apples and crackers. I had a little of both when I started feeling a little queasy, and it worked for me.

We have our Sea Bands and picked up some crystallized ginger today. Only 1 of our 3 grocery stores carried it. Unfortunately wife has already been into it and will probably have to buy some more before we leave home in 2 1/2 weeks. lol

:cool:36 crusies 11 transatlantic never sick once. todays cruise ships are so stable it is rarely a problem anymore.

Consider yourself fortunate! Some of us start feeling sick the minute the ship leaves port. Yes, times have changed from the NCL Norway I was on in the late 1990's, my first cruise when I discovered the absolute horror of seasickness. There are 'stabilizers'. Some us us, unfortunately, still suffer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums