Stop added fees just up the cruise cost

Kaboochi

Cruising is supposed to be all inclusive. NCL has made choices that are nicer and dining their passangers. Just up the cost of the cruise and get rid of the room service fee and all carte speciality restaurant charges. Getting rady to go back to RCCL. The CEO needs a reality check about the people who cruise this line. So many changes quite quickly makes me believe they are in need of more revenue to keep afloat or, the CEOS is money hungry This is just my opinion

I feel just the opposite. Keep the fares low and charge for "choice" items. You can still cruise for free if you eat in the complimentary dining venues, drink free beverages, see free entertainment, etc.

This ^^ times 10! We started cruising because we liked paying as we go versus land-based all inclusives charging you for TONS of food and liquor they assume you will be consuming.

We don't use any of the upcharge options so keep the fares low please. They are available should people choose to purchase them.

Cruising is supposed to be all inclusive. NCL has made choices that are nicer and dining their passangers. Just up the cost of the cruise and get rid of the room service fee and all carte speciality restaurant charges. Getting rady to go back to RCCL. The CEO needs a reality check about the people who cruise this line. So many changes quite quickly makes me believe they are in need of more revenue to keep afloat or, the CEOS is money hungry This is just my opinion

You can find the answers to your questions if you take the time to peruse the SEC filings and pay particular attention to the debt-equity ratios, payment schedules for the new ships, and the cash flow figures.

It can take a lot of time, but is very revealing.

I disagree 100%...I have cruised RCCL many times and find their product overpriced for what they provide. We enjoyed their cruises very much and they were normally our first choice, but I think their costs have steadily risen with little added value. They have not offered a good value sale in over a year IMO.

I love that when I want, I can hop on a "bare bones" cruise and choose not to spend any money. 3 years ago we did a 5 day cruise for less than $1,000 total and that included travel from the Midwest. We slept in an upper/lower room, did all free excursions, and our total on board bill was $6. We had an absolute blast. Our current cruise we had more set aside and planned ahead, and so we are "splurging" on one of the SPD, we are flying instead of driving, we got a spa balcony, and got the UBP. I was happy to pay extras to get those things this time, but I would much rather pay separately for what I use than absorb the cost of someone else ordering a sandwich for lunch or wanting to go to the Illusionarium.

Forgot to add, I've only been cruising for about 10 years as opposed to some who have been cruising for decades, but I can still pay today what I would've paid 10 years ago. There were things offered back then that aren't offered now (midnight buffets, free room service, take home poster pictures of the ship, free alcohol parties, etc.) but the cost I would pay to keep that kind of cruise with inflation would be at least 50% higher.

There will probably be something someday that will change how I feel about cruising and would've been willing to pay more for...I really disliked the direction of entertainment on our last Carnival cruise. But that is why there are choices!

Since when is cruising supposed to be all inclusive? My first cruise was in 1968. Alcohol, excursions and gratuities were extras even then.

Take a look at an all inclusive cruise line like Regent Seven Seas and see if you are willing to pay those prices.

We're booked on an Azamara cruise. Gratuities and alcohol are included. But, would you want to pay $2699 + tax + airfare for an inside on a 10 night cruise? Most would not.

Since when is cruising supposed to be all inclusive? My first cruise was in 1968. Alcohol, excursions and gratuities were extras even then.

Take a look at an all inclusive cruise line like Regent Seven Seas and see if you are willing to pay those prices.

We're booked on an Azamara cruise. Gratuities and alcohol are included. But, would you want to pay $2699 + tax + airfare for an inside on a 10 night cruise? Most would not.

+1 for this. Most of the mainstream market are anything but AI, but ironically the nearest thing to an AI cruise I've ever had was just on the Epic. I had UBP, UDP and internet package. I spent $0.35 on an 'upgraded' glass of wine and eventually used my FCC to knock off some of my DSC.

I feel just the opposite. Keep the fares low and charge for "choice" items. You can still cruise for free if you eat in the complimentary dining venues, drink free beverages, see free entertainment, etc.

From a European perspective I agree completely. If it wasn't for NCL our family could not afford to cruise at this level. We only book 'special offers, eat in complementary restaurants, which I think are splendid. We plan our own cheaper excursions, which we have great fun planning at home before we travel. Cruising is our preferred holiday and if it wasn't for NCL we would never have been able to afford our last or next cruise. As our children got older and therefore more expensive there is a lot less disposable income for holidays. When planning our next cruise I spend a lot of time checking out prices and have found that RCCL is hardly ever an option for us (in Europe) with much higher prices than NCL. We want to sail on "American " ships for ease of lauguage etc. Thanks to NCL we can still have our preferred vacation. There are many families like us. We meet them on board.

The truth is you get what you pay for, there is no FREE anything. The question I have is the fares at NCL are up. The trip we are going on in October is 900$ more per room than when I booked it in Feb, Tips are more and added on to more places, room service fee is in place and now a la cart pricing which I believe is designed to raise the average bill. If the average NCL product has not gotten better then it is a rip off. We shall see!

Ok, let me see: where did you ever get the idea cruising is all inclusive? That is resorts, not cruising. next, if you don't like it, for heavens sake find a line you do like, and you seem to have found the one that fits you the best: RCI. Good. And finally has it dawned on you, many people prefer to decide where they want to spend thier $$S. There is nothing that forces anyone to eat in specialty dining rooms, order room service or spend money anywhere on a ship they don't want to spend it.

There is the family, with a couple of kids that are on a very tight budget: They want to choose where they spend their few extra bucks. The same with the retired coouple who are on a fixed income. They choose to cruise at a price they can handle and dont' spend the extra money. Then you get the couple who are celebrating their anniversary and are ready to jump at every chance they have to celebrate. They don't really care how much it costs. For those on the tight budget, or just simply people who have no desire to spend extra $$S they have choices.

Does this make any sense to you?

And now, everyone lets' start one more stupid thread about cruisng extra charges. For heavens sake, those of you who do not like the charges find another line. For many of us, it is the bottom line, what will it cost me? Whether there are extra charges on a ship or the rate is raised, the outcome is very similar.

For those who say the rates have gone up: yep, and so have all other lines. Also remember rates fluxuate, just like airline rates. Inflation will do that.

Our first cruise, 30 years ago was $699 a person and that was a 1/3 off rate because our daughter was as airline employee. it was a tiny, very old ship that isn't even in the water anymore. They had one dining room, no real buffet, but did have an outside grill for breakfast and lunch. The entertainment consisted of the crew doing whatever thay did and the passengers getting involved. We had an awesome time but it still was a budget line. Today, we are are booked in a balcony cabin, with the UBP on a very nice, modern ship. The cost; not including taxed and no airline employee discount: $822 a person. Oh and with that we get a small OBC.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I have never known cruising to be all inclusive. There are so many 'extras', al a carte, or nickel and dime stuff all over cruising and all touristy vacations. Although there are all inclusive resorts and cruises. But never known the major cruise lines to be that way.

Cruising is supposed to be all inclusive.

Getting rady to go back to RCCL. The CEO needs a reality check about the people who cruise this line.

People at Celebrity forums feel the same way about the Royal Caribbean Cruises head honcho, so it's all matter of perspective and the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side. ;)

I just browsed recent messages over there this morning and they do seem to have pretty much all the same grievances about addons being added to inflate the base price etc as people here do about NCL - cruising is definitely changing and we need to change with it.

P.S. As already said by many others, no mass market cruise line has ever been all inclusive.

Edited by Demonyte

People at Celebrity forums feel the same way about the Royal Caribbean Cruises head honcho, so it's all matter of perspective and the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side. ;)

I just browsed recent messages over there this morning and they do seem to have pretty much all the same grievances about addons being added to inflate the base price etc as people here do about NCL - cruising is definitely changing and we need to change with it.

P.S. As already said by many others, no mass market cruise line has ever been all inclusive.

Great comment At last sir we agree - how true your words are all that is happening is that the package is being de packaged and when you add it up it is more or so it seems. However when I go away I have a budget and how that budget is spent is still my choice not any one else's.

As to all inclusive I think the UK market is now realising it and many people you speak to do not want cruises but all inclusive resorts and one of our travel companies is now only "all inclusive". Our friends tell us they think cruising is expensive compared to a land based holiday and what with issues such as the pool decks on all lines they would rather go to a good all inclusive hotel these days. BUT each to their own whilst I can afford it I will be cruising on the high seas

Edited by bmwman

Cruising is supposed to be all inclusive.

Here's the deal. If you want "all inclusive", try Regent, Seabourn, Crystal, Silversea, and pay much more. Then discover that even these "all inclusive" lines are not. You will still pay for spa, shops, some higher end dining, some shore excursions, etc.

The more "nickel and diming", the more options that you, as a consumer, have. And yes, cruise lines are corporations that are answerable to their stockholders to make a profit. If EVIL GREEDY corporations offend you, then don't cruise. Or buy a car. Or buy medicine. Or buy a television. Or do just about anything that makes modern life more liveable.

Well Kaboochi, I agree with you. The nickel and diming as well as the constant changes (all in the cruise lines favour of course) makes me think NCL is no longer even pretending to be in the "hospitality" industry. They have given over fully to the bean counters.

In fact, whenever I think of NCL now I hear the famous song from the play Les Miserables -- "Master of the House". If you're not familiar with it give it a listen, its NCL lol.

I have never sailed NCL, was literally about to book with because I was curious and wanted to try a new line but all their changes started rolling out. Now its not gonna happen. Oh well.

From a European perspective I agree completely. If it wasn't for NCL our family could not afford to cruise at this level. We only book 'special offers, eat in complementary restaurants, which I think are splendid. We plan our own cheaper excursions, which we have great fun planning at home before we travel. Cruising is our preferred holiday and if it wasn't for NCL we would never have been able to afford our last or next cruise. As our children got older and therefore more expensive there is a lot less disposable income for holidays. When planning our next cruise I spend a lot of time checking out prices and have found that RCCL is hardly ever an option for us (in Europe) with much higher prices than NCL. We want to sail on "American " ships for ease of lauguage etc. Thanks to NCL we can still have our preferred vacation. There are many families like us. We meet them on board.

Hi Dexysgirl, have you tried Thomson cruises from Palma de Majorca great entertainment, good deals on cruises. I'm biased as we live in Mallorca.

Completely disagree. As a non-user of specialty dining it wouldn't be fare to make me pay for it.

I would agree with it for tipping though since the expectation is that everyone will tip anyway, but it would be completely unfair to do this for UDP and UBP. I'm happy to pay for UBP and never eat in specialty restaurants.

Hi Dexysgirl, have you tried Thomson cruises from Palma de Majorca great entertainment, good deals on cruises. I'm biased as we live in Mallorca.

That was our position years ago and without NCL pricing we would never have been able to cruise on such a regular basis

I have no problem with their new added fees. I always tipped extra to my room steward and other great employees anyway. There is no added fee for room service unless you order from the expanded menu which was not available to all rooms until now and the A La Carte thing in the specialty dinning area is brilliant. I could never eat all that was given at the specialty dining rooms so never went. I hated to spend $20.00 extra for a meal I would not finish. Now I can go in, order a main course and only pay for it. Leave and be happy

People at Celebrity forums feel the same way about the Royal Caribbean Cruises head honcho, so it's all matter of perspective and the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side.

True.

When someone asks me to compare or recommend a cruise line I tell them the big cruise lines are more alike than different. While there are differences they are small.

I have always felt like NCL is a more A La Carte line than RCCL. From this board and the menus posted we knew before our first Ncl cruise on Epic, that in order to enjoy ourselves we needed the UDP. So we factored that in the cost and it still came out way below. Dressing and enjoying a nice meal is part of our vacation experience. IRL we only eat as a family 2 or 3 times a week. On vacation its every meal all week long.

That may not matter to some people they don't have to pay for it.

I have desire to spend my days hammered by the pool so the alcohol plan on any ship has never mattered to me.

The dinner show kind of irked me but again we know going in we want to see it we have to pay period.

I look at all inclusive resorts to vacation at but the things that keep bringing us back to cruises are Airfare to the islands, entertainment, stuff to do other than pool and beach. Cruises always win.