Weather in August for Greece & Turkey?

phabric

I am thinking on taking the 7 day Greece & Turkey cruise at the end of next August on the Royal.

People have mentioned that it is unbearable hot/humid at that time of year. August is the only time I can travel.

Has anybody been at that time of year?

I am thinking on taking the 7 day Greece & Turkey cruise at the end of next August on the Royal.

People have mentioned that it is unbearable hot/humid at that time of year. August is the only time I can travel.

Has anybody been at that time of year?

Coming from Canada.. it will be HOT :eek: A vacation is a vacation, I don't do well in hot, I survived. The sights and cultural are amazing.

I'd say look hard at stretching this to 10-12 days with a day added on the front and back as flight and time change make for some overhead on a vacation like this.

1--it will likely be very hot (think 90s-100+ F), and quite humid.

2--at least in Turkey, "air conditioning" is not what you're used to at home. It might cool it down to the high 80s F--if you're lucky)

3--Istanbul is often a good bit cooler than Greece and southern Turkey.

The day we were in Ephesus it was 114 degrees, with high humidity and blazing sunshine. Umbrellas were useless, since the marble reflected the sun upwards.

• 2 weeks later...

I was there a couple of weeks ago on the Island Princess - Mykonos on the 20th August, then Istanbul, Kusadasi and Athens on the days following. It was around 90 each day and humid.

I would have preferred late September but had the same issue as you - I had to go in August because of work.

It was hot and sweaty, just make sure you have a hat and stay hydrated and stay in the shade where you can. Having a little fan from the souvenir shops to fan yourself with also helps, I wore out a couple.

If I had the chance to go again and only August was available - I'd be there in a flash, I don't regret it one bit!

I just got back from a land trip to Romania (end of August/early September). The weather was beastly hot and very humid, especially near the Black Sea. There were times when I had difficulty enjoying myself -- during a several hour visit to an archaeological site, during a half-day walk tour in Bucharest when the temps were near 100, in a museum with big glass walls and no air conditioning (we estimated it was well in excess of 100 inside).

I do not do well in these temps and certainly would have enjoyed my trip more in weather that was even a little cooler!

If you have to go in August check out ways to keep cool

Cooling neck bands

Broad hats with neck coverings

Personal fans

Stay well hydrated, you'll sweat it out

Very dark sunglasses

Wicking clothing... The athletic area of Target and Walmart have lots of these.

Edited by SadieN

As college professors, we too had to go in the summer. Yes it will be hot. Yes it will be crowded. Yes you will have an amazing time. Stay hydrated. We wore long sleeve shirts and broad brim hats, and paced ourselves. We later went in November and in many places, it was just as crowded. Have a great time!